• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Capcom says it’s on course to sell more games in a fiscal year than in any other in its history

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
CapcomLogo-1280x545.png

In its latest financial results published on Monday, the publisher said it had sold 29.1 million games to consumers in the nine months to December 31, 2022, which is up from 25.8 million during the same period last year.

And with continued sales of catalog titles, plus the release of Resident Evil 4 scheduled for March 24 – a week before the end of its fiscal year – Capcom said it’s expecting to sell more than 40 million game units, which would be the highest ever in a full year.

Capcom expects 90% of these sales (36m) to be digital downloads and just 10% (4m) physical, with 75% (30m) made up of catalog sales and 25% (10m) new releases (Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak and Resident Evil 4).

In the nine months to December 31, the company has sold 2.75m copies of Monster Hunter Rise, 1.5m copies of Resident Evil 2, 1.45m copies of Devil May Cry 5, and 1.35m copies of Resident Evil 3. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and Street Fighter V have sold 750k units each.

capcom-slide.jpg

For the nine months ended December 31, 2022, net sales were 79,671 million yen (down 9.6% year-over-year), operating income was 33,332 million yen (down 5.0% year-over-year), and ordinary income was 33,564 million yen (down 7.1% year-over-year).

Rise (and soon Sunbreak) on PS5
RE4 Remake
SF6
They have a good year ahead of them.

Hoping for some World 2 & Dragon’s Dogma 2 news soon.

Capcom has been having a great streak going for some time. Hoping to also have some Marvel games in the future. Would love a proper MVC4.

anthony2690

Banned
I believe it too.

MH Rise + Sunbreak coming to Xbox & playstation
Resident Evil 4 remake
Street fighter 6
Exoprimal (will sell a couple copies)
Pragmata?
Wonder if they have any other surprises this year?

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
So they expect to sell 10 million in new releases. Sounds like the big thing is digital sales giving them longer legs. 75% of this will be catalog sales.

Well grats to them. They deserve it.
Shows how badly Konami done goofed!
Imagine MGS, SH, Castlevania remakes plus cashing in on more of their catalog legacy titles.

Rykan

Shows how badly Konami done goofed!
Imagine MGS, SH, Castlevania remakes plus cashing in on more of their catalog legacy titles.
It's not really as simple for Konami.

Konami simply doesn't have the development studios anymore to do remakes on a big scale, or indeed to make any games based off their old franchises. The only games they still want to make are mobile games and that baseball game that they won't release in English. Any remake/remastering of old content or new installment would require partnership with other developers.

And to be fair: They have been doing that. They've released Contra & Castlevania collections that are pretty good. SH2 remake is coming and I'd be very surprised if the MGS remake isn't real.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Onimusha Soulslike. I have complete faith they would nail it.

Man, I love seeing Capcom firing on all cylinders. I'd still prefer to have new IPs or some old favorites (outside of RE) revisited but the quality of the games they put out is top notch. Even something as divisive as 3make. I miss the cut content too but the game we got is still damn good when it comes to gameplay.

Hands down my favorite developer of all time.

yurinka

Nice to see that Street Fighter V reached 7 millions sold and that Street Fighter series is close to 50M copies sold.

Capcom should take a chance and come up with something new. They also have a cornucopia of IPs just waiting to be developed, why not farm 'em out to indie devs.
They will release Exoprimal and Pragmata this year.

In the past they already gave their IPs to western devs -some of them small- and outside Bionic Commando Rearmed (which was great) the rest were a total disaster. Capcom must keep their IPs away from Capcom USA and western devs.

I believe it too.

MH Rise + Sunbreak coming to Xbox & playstation
Resident Evil 4 remake
Street fighter 6
Exoprimal (will sell a couple copies)
Pragmata?
Wonder if they have any other surprises this year?
They also have Dragon's Dogma 2 and the Mega Man Battle Network collection for this year.

I think their next announcement, to be released pretty likely next year, would be a new Onimusha.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
They also have Dragon's Dogma 2 and the Mega Man Battle Network collection for this year.

I think their next announcement, to be released pretty likely next year, would be a new Onimusha.

Oh man, if Dragons Dogma 2 comes this year, I'm doubtful though, as they've only given us an announcement it is in the works so far, but I'd happily be wrong :D

& I wouldn't be surprised if we see Onimusha return especially as it is getting an anime netflix show (like dragons dogma did)

BabyYoda

Banned
They're giving people what they want without pushing "The Message", not a surprise they are doing well. Eventually I'll only buy Japanese games if the West continues to double down on woke garbage, paste and copy open worlds and MTX etc.

Mr Hyde

Impressive turnaround from Capcom. A decade ago they were down on their knees, with flop after flop. Now they are consistently releasing quality top sellers. One of my favorite developers. Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be absolute 🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
best third party on the fucking planet.... well second best to Fromsoftware

yeah capcom makes way too many remakes.... all 4 of them
I think they are better than fromsoft simply because fromsoft really only makes one type of game. Mostly. Capcom is the only developer that if acquired would get me to change my buying habits if they went exclusive. Love that they are more successful than ever.

Capcom, along with Sony, is one of the few companies out there that can still deliver high quality games on time in good condition. They need to keep it up but they’re in a very good position moving forward.
Yes I said it many times Capcom is the best third party developer out there everything they do is amazing mostly.Gameplay and graphics are always great.They would be an amazing fit for Sony If Sony would buy them they don’t need any other developer anymore.

yurinka

Oh man, if Dragons Dogma 2 comes this year, I'm doubtful though, as they've only given us an announcement it is in the works so far, but I'd happily be wrong :D

& I wouldn't be surprised if we see Onimusha return especially as it is getting an anime netflix show (like dragons dogma did)
I don't remember the dates right now, but as I remember in the leaked early 2020 Capcom roadmap internal document Dragon's Dogma 2 was listed as 2022 and Onimusha as 2023. Add a year or so of covid delay, so I think a late 2023 release for Dragon's Dogma 2 and an Onimusha late 2024 release would be possible.

Maybe they move Dragon's Dogma 2 because 2023 is already too packed with games delayed from originally planned 2022 and even 2021 releases.

I am missing a good rpg and this year's we have couple good ones that are going to be released but it would be bad to have a late 2023 Dragon Dogma to finish the year on high note.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Everytime I read about Dragon's Dogma 2 being released this year I get a little bit aroused, not gonna lie. :lollipop_content:

Lupin25

Getting kinda tired of those Resi remakes. They should remake Dmc1 or Dino Crisis.

Same.

RE2 was amazing, but RE3 kind of screwed up the momentum for RE4 in my opinion.

It wasn’t horrible, but RE3 just left a bad taste in my mouth, almost as if Capcom rushed for a cash grab after the success of 2.

I just hope RE4 is the same carefully crafted, full-priced value of RE2 this time.

oh yeah? well, squaresoft is on the road to sell the most nfts this year. checkmate, capcom.

in all honesty, though, its nice to see a childhood favorite company of mine doing so well while being good to their ips. more power to them, and hopefully they do legends 3 someday.

also, should I get into World or Rise?

Same.

RE2 was amazing, but RE3 kind of screwed up the momentum for RE4 in my opinion.

It wasn’t horrible, but RE3 just left a bad taste in my mouth, almost as if Capcom rushed for a cash grab after the success of 2.

I just hope RE4 is the same carefully crafted, full-priced value of RE2 this time.
Im glad I didnt play either until about a month or so ago. I beat RE2 and jumped right into 3. It wasnt the same quality of experience, but there also wasnt a huge gap in time, either. I hope all the remakes draw attention back to the old re cast, ie jill claire leon chris, for the future games.

Arsic

Gold Member
If any company deserves to succeed it’s Capcom. They hold so many incredible franchises and their RE engine is the only successful internal studio engine imo.

RE4 Remake and SF6 this year are day one buys from me. They are poised to sell gang busters. SF6 is easily winning fighting game of the year, and RE4 remake could be the big game of the first half of 2023 as a must buy for all.

Anything else they throw in is just sprinkles.

Lupin25

Im glad I didnt play either until about a month or so ago. I beat RE2 and jumped right into 3. It wasnt the same quality of experience, but there also wasnt a huge gap in time, either. I hope all the remakes draw attention back to the old re cast, ie jill claire leon chris, for the future games.

Re3 was pretty underwhelming in terms of pacing and Nemesis’ impact. Shorter too.

After this, RE1, maybe RE: Code Veronica

I can’t imagine remakes for 5 and 6.

Top Bottom