• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Halo Infinite developer concedes ‘the community is out of patience’

Community director Brian 'ske7ch' Jarrard posted to a reply to a Reddit user who said they wished 343 Industries would acknowledge that there have been issues that are delaying progress on new features for the game.

"There are indeed a lot of challenges and constraints," Jarrard responded. "We're certainly not happy to be unable to meet player and community expectations, it's a difficult situation that's going to take the team time to work through.

"Right now the focus is on Season 2 and we'll have more to share on that in the coming weeks. Meanwhile a lot of production planning, costing, planning, hiring, etc. is all happening which doesn't really lend to detailed regular updates.

"We understand the community is simply out of patience and frankly, I think understandably tired of words. We just need some time for the team to get the details sorted and then we can certainly share as much as we can."

Seems like 343 really fumbled the big momentum they had late last year with this game. It was received very well and had a huge player base that seems to have dwindled to nothing.

I think the truth is that the game just came in way too hot and what they got out in time was the best it was gonna be for awhile. I do wonder if season 2 can regain some of the momentum whenever it launches

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I mean, no shit. Hopefully they've know this for a while. The Halo community is VERY vocal. Perhaps too vocal.

I know there is new content coming in the next month, but hopefully they can keep that momentum going and there won't be another lull between season 2 and 3. There just wasn't enough content in the first season, even for someone like me that was only playing a few hours a week.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
They've EARNED ALL of the criticism. They've had 6 YEARS to make a game. 6. And what they released was great, but it was very bare-bones. And people have been more than patient with literally nothing to show for it.

At a minimum, they should have had Forge ready to go. Forge would have at least helped alleviate content drought. As it is, it's a great game, with not enough to do. I'm not mad at it as I didn't buy it on release and won't buy it until FORGE AND Co-op are in the game. As it stands, management of 343 from Franky on up should be fired, they've mismanaged one of the biggest franchises on the planet and they only have themselves to blame.

How you don't even have a SMIDGE of cross-promotion for the HALO show in your game is beyond me. We can get Doritos and Mountain Dew cross-promo, but Odin-forbid we have the show be a thing to promote in the game the show is based off of. It's crazy how terribly the franchise has been mismanaged and how much leeway Msft has given to 343.

Last edited:

Banned
I wanna see this game crash and burn at this point. the fact that Microsoft thought the way this development went was even remotely acceptable is baffling, and they need a strong message. so I hope this game dies completely within the next few months

If they would have done a good job then the community wouldn’t be out of patience. Give people shit and, well, they’re gonna complain about the smell.

Bad on 343, bad on MS….just plain bad.

Lognor

Banned
I wanna see this game crash and burn at this point. the fact that Microsoft thought the way this development went was even remotely acceptable is baffling, and they need a strong message. so I hope this game dies completely within the next few months
No way. The core game is fantastic. There is a reason it won GOTY last year. To scrap that is a ridiculous thing to say. They just need to provide content and provide it soon and in a consistent manner going forward. It's a great game, what there is of it at least!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Blah Blah Blah Sock Puppet GIF by Your Happy Workplace

Words words words words words.

Only time 343 have been on the money in the last 3 months is that one line;

We understand the community is simply out of patience and frankly, I think understandably tired of words

The H2A maps would have looked just as good as the Infinite maps if they could be arsed to port them over. Lazy out of touch company.

Banned
No way. The core game is fantastic. There is a reason it won GOTY last year. To scrap that is a ridiculous thing to say. They just need to provide content and provide it soon and in a consistent manner going forward. It's a great game, what there is of it at least!

the core gameplay is not fantastic. there arw so many issues, it's impossible to fix this game.

also winning GOTY has never been less meaningful, which this game clearly shows, this game is pure garbage in many ways, and the campaign is OK at best.

in order for this game to ACTUALLY get good it needs basically completely new MP maps, as in at least 10 new ones that are more varied and less generic as the current ones.

it needs about 20 modes that are currently missing

it needs a fully functional theatre mode, custom games, a custom game browser, a functional file share system, a functional custom game creator, a completely new netcode, a complete change to how social game modes work (aka taking out that stupid random weapon and vehicle spawn shit), COMPLETELY OVERHAULED CONTROLLER AIMING, a massive reduction in aim assist (which it currently still needs due to the terrible aiming on controller), a completely new progression system, a completely revamped customisation system, a toggle to turn off crossplay due to the inability of the devs to fight cheaters, the complete removal of the challenge system...
I can't think of more things from the top of my head but that should be enough.

the thing is, this game is flawed to the core, literally, as in their menu system and game systems are so badly made that they can't change tiny things without it taking months due to how shit their UI systems are.

I lost all hope for Halo at this point, and I bet this game will never be actually a complete Halo experience, it will never reach the levels of Reach in terms of features, variety and polish... there is just no way it will due to how systemically flawed the whole game is

the only way this game is salvageable is if they pulled a Final Fantasy XIV and just rebooted the game and basically remake a huge junk of it from scratch

Last edited:

JTCx

I mean, no shit. Hopefully they've know this for a while. The Halo community is VERY vocal. Perhaps too vocal.

I know there is new content coming in the next month, but hopefully they can keep that momentum going and there won't be another lull between season 2 and 3. There just wasn't enough content in the first season, even for someone like me that was only playing a few hours a week.
Unlike you the community actually cares and plays this game.

Varteras

Gold Member
the core gameplay is not fantastic. there arw so many issues, it's impossible to fix this game.

also winning GOTY has never been less meaningful, which this game clearly shows, this game is pure garbage in many ways, and the campaign is OK at best.

in order for this game to ACTUALLY get good it needs basically completely new MP maps, as in at least 10 new ones that are more varied and less generic as the current ones.

it needs a fully functional theatre mode, custom games, a custom game browser, a functional file share system, a functional custom game creator, a completely new netcode, a complete change to how social game modes work (aka taking out that stupid random weapon and vehicle spawn shit), COMPLETELY OVERHAULED CONTROLLER AIMING, a massive reduction in aim assist (which it currently still needs due to the terrible aiming on controller), a completely new progression system, a completely revamped customisation system, a toggle to turn off crossplay due to the inability of the devs to fight cheaters, the complete removal of the challenge system...

the thing is, this game is flawed to the core, literally, as in their menu system and game systems are so badly made that they can't change tiny things without it taking months due to how shit their UI systems are.

I lost all hope for Halo at this point, and I bet this game will never be actually a complete Halo experience, it will never reach the levels of Reach in terms of features, variety and polish... there is just no way it will due to how systemically flawed the whole game is

the only way this game is salvageable is if they pulled a Final Fantasy XIV and just rebooted the game and basically remake a huge junk of it from scratch
This pretty much echoes my thoughts. As a long time Halo fan I'm just over hoping that 343 ever gets it right. I do not understand how this game was in development for 6 years and this is the best they could do at launch and four months after. It took 6 years to make a bland open-world, decent but forgettable campaign, barebones multiplayer, lacking progression system, and without expected features like co-op and Forge? Both of those features being pushed back so much now that you might as well forget about them ever happening and then be pleasantly surprised one day if they suddenly do.

Dr Bass

I'm so glad someone else is willing to say it. The game is just not good, and it's not good at it's core. Exactly right. Gameplay, writing, everything. It's a huge bummer IMO.

Gamerguy84

I've often wondered if they've known. Also if Halo and 343 played a part in the decision to buy Activision to align themselves with a strong shooter.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can someone summarize whats happened since the game was released in November to largely positive reviews?

DLCs do take some time and especially so soon after the christmas/thanksgiving breaks. Typically, you would have maps already in the works before the game came out but ive seen even DICE struggle with maps so soon after release.

What exactly are the player demands? More maps? How many have been released so far? It's a f2p game so is it like Fortnite where people just want random skins and shit? Do they single player DLC?

Roxkis_ii

Take your time.
Pump the brakes.
Halo is now a GaaS 'platform', and it's part of a subscription service, so just ride it out as long as you can without getting fired.

Isn't there a different dev team working on halo mp? I think they got fired already..

STARSBarry

Gold Member
INB4CANTCRITICISEGAMEISFREE

Oh what's this, are people finally realising the actual gameplay loop, weapon selection and poor map design makes the multiplayer sub par?

Not to sound like a broken record when it comes to GAF's very own GOTY but as soon as they made multiplayer some free GaaS experiment it was going to suck. Not because GaaS is bad in all circumstances (it tottaly is though) but because 343i literally has zero track record of delivering anything of value on time, never mind on a regular basis via GaaS.

Season 2 will deliver less than was promised for free, but I bet it will deliver plenty of Microtransactions, man what a joy games have become in the modern era.

Soon to be beaten by Battlefront II in the UK, what a legacy.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

No shit. I was so excited, even liked the campaign even though the story sucked.

Now I can't remember without poking 7 different holes in this game. Coop better be implemented gooood with enemy density and balance.

ZywyPL

Banned
Three months after launch the game is still barely playable with all the lag/desync/melee lunge going on, and 343 aren't able to tell when they'll fix ot, if ever will to begin with, because it seems they have no idea why their own game is so broken, so no wonder people are running out of patience. The content like maps, playlists, store stuff etc., none of this won't matter if every single match is such a disaster, the games fails to be a shooter in the first place

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
INB4CANTCRITICISEGAMEISFREE

Oh what's this, are people finally realising the actual gameplay loop, weapon selection and poor map design makes the multiplayer sub par?

Not to sound like a broken record when it comes to GAF's very own GOTY but as soon as they made multiplayer some free GaaS experiment it was going to suck. Not because GaaS is bad in all circumstances (it tottaly is though) but because 343i literally has zero track record of delivering anything of value on time, never mind on a regular basis via GaaS.

Season 2 will deliver less than was promised for free, but I bet it will deliver plenty of Microtransactions, man what a joy games have become in the modern era.

Soon to be beaten by Battlefront II in the UK, what a legacy.
Holy shit down to 27 😭😭😭

treemk

Banned
"Halo is back"

Some of you guys really blew your load too early on this one lol, it was obvious this was going to be a problem with stuff like no co-op and barebones MP features

343 spent all this time to make a game that's worse and has less features than Halo 3, other than graphics

Now we will be lucky if this isn't how every other studio MS bought ends up

Last edited:
whats the deal with 343i anyway? dont they have like over 500+ employees at the studio and yet they couldnt even implement co-op for launch and than they dont deliver it on time and delay it? they taking the piss!?

Last edited:
Top Bottom