• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Halo Infinite developer concedes ‘the community is out of patience’

ethomaz

Banned
They were but the industry ripped them a new one after what they showed(Craig anyone)
Sad that they are so out of touch that it took the ridicule for MS to step in,delay it and send four teams to help 343.

It's now April 2022 and the game is still missing features like co-op and Ray Tracing.
They were in no way ready for late 2020… they are not even for late 2021 and today… I don’t know who create that ideia.

Last edited:

sendit

Covid, working from home, and iterating across 4 consoles + a host of PC configurations did not help this team.

Codes 208

Covid, working from home, and iterating across 4 consoles + a host of PC configurations did not help this team.
Covid only affected 2 of the 6 years this game had been in development for. On top of that, halo is MS’ biggest ip and 343i is by far one of, if not their biggest (non-requisite) developers.

Theres barely any excuse here. The campaign i wil say is absolutely fantastic and their best work yet but they dropped the ball on multiplayer

Ffs we know there are fun modes that they could add but they choose not to because theyre part of their rotational playlists (you cant have too much fun i guess) and im still salty anout how btb was broken for a whole damn month

Last edited:
Microsoft needs to seriously consider giving Halo to another team. How many more chances can they continue to give 343i?

Microsoft has a lot of studios to chose from if they want someone to take it over

iD Software
Raven Software
Infinity Ward
Treyarch
MachineGames

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It just pisses me off that they are prioritizing Season 2 over co-op campaign. Co-op campaign should have been a base feature like it was in every other (non-spinoff) Halo game. I still can't play the campaign with my friends, which is literally one of my favorite things to do in Halo titles, all because 343i decided to act like morons. And we don't even have a clue of when they'll get around to implementing co-op campaign, although we know it's going to be at least three more months.

Last edited:

Rac3r

wah ? when did that happen ? 4 to 5 years between sequels is pretty common, and we already know The Coalition is busy adapting Unreal Engine 5 on the Series consoles with a smaller project coming first. What else will they be adapting the tech over for, a new Gears undoubtedly.

I just meant that it’s hard to find good matches online in Gears 5. Unranked lobbies are filled with bots, and matchmaking in ranked lobbies takes forever. The player count is depressing. I literally keep an Xbox around just to play Gears and Halo and sadly both are in a bad state.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It just pisses me off that they are prioritizing Season 2 over co-op campaign. Co-op campaign should have been a base feature like it was in every other (non-spinoff) Halo game. I still can't play the campaign with my friends, which is literally one of my favorite things to do in Halo titles, all because 343i decided to act like morons. And we don't even have a clue of when they'll get around to implementing co-op campaign, although we know it's going to be at least three more months.

Honestly just follow this logic "can we currently sell MTX for it?" and if the answer is no then the feature is delayed until they can develop a new system where they can charge for it.

Honestly coop will launch once 343i have developed a new store to sell you exclusive coop mode cosmetics in.

Last edited:
You could give 343i ten years to develop a game and it would still be a incomplete mess missing basic features from halo games in the past. These guys were never right team for halo.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You could give 343i ten years to develop a game and it would still be a incomplete mess missing basic features from halo games in the past. These guys were never right team for halo.
They have proven they are the right team based on how incredible the MP gameplay is. They dropped the ball on content, but I don't see another developer being able to put out a better core game.

Last edited:
They have proven they are the right team based on how incredible the MP gameplay is. They dropped the ball on content, but I don't see another developer being able to put out a better core game.

microsoft now have a bunch of studio's that could do a better job. i mean, they own both activision and bethesda now. you really think none of them could make a better halo game than 343?

Hendrick's

microsoft now have a bunch of studio's that could do a better job. i mean, they own both activision and bethesda now. you really think none of them could make a better halo game than 343?
No. I don't think it's as easy as you think it is to make a Halo game.

no game is easy to make but there are levels when it comes to the talent at the studio. 343 isnt a world class studio. its not their fault but they aint at the level required for the halo ip. if you had to list the most talented studios under microsoft, where would you rank 343i?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
343i mangled MCC for so many goddamn years.

And then they did the same thing with Halo Infinite. Microsoft should hand the reins of the franchise to someone else.

Hendrick's

343i mangled MCC for so many goddamn years.

And then they did the same thing with Halo Infinite. Microsoft should hand the reins of the franchise to someone else.
MCC is great now and Infinite is an amazing game that just needs more content. They move slow as shit and stumble out of the gate, but in the end they are still the right team.

They just need to do what I have been saying for a long time. Bonnie needs to go.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

Seems like 343 really fumbled the big momentum they had late last year with this game. It was received very well and had a huge player base that seems to have dwindled to nothing.

I think the truth is that the game just came in way too hot and what they got out in time was the best it was gonna be for awhile. I do wonder if season 2 can regain some of the momentum whenever it launches

This might be a long rant but whatever, none of what i'm about to say is directed at the programmers, the developers themselves who are just following leadership and management.

All of my ANGER is directed toward management and leadership they have absolutely no plan, they don't have any direction for this series.

Halo 4 "Were going to add our own voice to the series" "we hired people who hate Halo" "The Didact is Masterchiefs nemesis" = not a great game, scrapped concepts didact gets killed in comic, multiplayer COD carbon copy.

Halo 5 they still didn't listen to fans made a half-baked squad-based game that didn't match any of the promotion and marketing they had for it. The marketing HuntTheTruth told a much better story, the game also had microtransactions Arguably the worst Halo game ever created. Also Cortana comes back is evil now, she unleashes the guardians , and has a new force called the created where A.I join her side etc........next game comes created (WHO WE NEVER SAW) gone, the forerunner prometheons gone, guardians pretty much gone.

MC collection this collection of games took YEARS to get online right the games right etc. The level of the backlash they got for releasing this was insane and they deserved it all.

Now we have Halo infinite Gaas Model they can't keep up with the gaming model they implemented which will last for the next 10 years. Think about that for a second why take on a challenge by implementing such a model when you can't keep up with the demand in its first year?

343i in their tenure the closest they've gotten to making a solid Halo game is Halo Infinite, but even then I still consider it the weakest Halo title compared to Halo 1-3. But even then it has absolutely no content every release by them the content has gotten smaller and everything isn't released at the start.

I took alot of shit from other fans and even people on here who were defending them but if you look at there track record YOU SHOULD NOT BE SUPRISED.

iu

Bonnie Ross is a corporate shill

She is not creative and she is not a leader not her , not frank Oconner, or KiKi wolfkill "I'M CONVINCED THEY DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING, OR WHAT DIRECTION TO TAKE THIS SERIES" it's always an uphill battle with them they can never get it right the first time.

No one asked for a Games as a service model NOT ONE PERSON. Halo Infinite could've kept the same story concept with maybe a bit more content in the story so after your done, you can do some activities. Forge, all the relevant game modes that were popular in past games their day 1. If the focus and direction was set on that releasing a complete game not following trends, this would have been an amazing game. This isn't rocket science all fans want is a great halo game with all the content there to play day 1. If they want to add more story content I'm fine with paying for DLC if more story is added like an expansion with more maps and content im cool with that. But they can't even do that!

iu

This guy right here Jason Jones is a creative a big part in the creation of Marathon, Halo, Destiny and whatever comes next for Bungie (possibly Matter). They love sci-fi and you can trace alot of their inspiration to many great books. He is a leader because he is passionate about the projects he creates and that love and passion reach everyone below him. They want to make games that they want to play to nail that 30 second of fun loop. Despite bungie controversy and Destiny feeling like a chore. The love for world-building and sci-fi storytelling is like night and day I don't think 343i has a visionary of this man's CALIBER in their studio NOT ONE!

Phil Spencer needs to be brave enough to gut a lot of management and leadership BONNIE IS NOT IT nor are the other 2. Cause right now I don't believe 343i should be allowed to work on Halo anymore.

Last edited:

Shifty

I don't care about MP (outside of respecting Halo's legacy from the good old days), but am giving the campaign a shot on gamepass and boy did they drop the ball with the not-Cortana sidekick.

I get that it's her job to emote because Chief can't, but fuck me, I've not had to contend with such forced kookiness and borderline cringe for many moons. They went way overboard with this one.

What's worse is that I can come up with plenty of diagetic explanations for the way she acts based on her status as a domain-specific AI, but I don't for a second believe that 343's writers are skilled enough to address that by the time the campaign wraps up. We shall see...

Last edited:

LordCBH

no game is easy to make but there are levels when it comes to the talent at the studio. 343 isnt a world class studio. its not their fault but they aint at the level required for the halo ip. if you had to list the most talented studios under microsoft, where would you rank 343i?

Probably just above Rare at the bottom of the list.

Salz01

Halo infinite is my least played Halo, of any version of the series. I’ve dumped way more hours in Halo Wars 2, then Infinite. I haven’t completed HW2 either.

Lognor

Banned
I mean thats a tottaly reasonable assumption that people would ignore the "what words would you use to describe the game" and all type entire sentences into the box rather than you know a word, I mean sure some will but who the hell does that 3 times for every game they nominate?

Look I know you want to feel really smart or something but let's just leave it as you clearly strawmanning and move on k?
Where's your deep dive? You clearly do not know how to read that graphic. You ain't smart

Lognor

Banned
It won because of console warriors and morons who spent too much money on a blatant scam.

The game is an insult to long time fans and shows, without a shadow of a doubt that 343i is a piss poor company with management that should have been fired after the first failure nearly a decade ago.
What a stupid thing to say. You could make that argument for EVERY goty winner ever.

Lognor

Banned
Yes i kno who speaks for it, the people who actually play the game aka the community. Not you.

You and your discord flunkies should fire up the game, those steam charts could use a bit of a boost lmfao
I do play the game. Do you? I know what I'm talking about. I call bs out when I see it. Like yours

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What a stupid thing to say. You could make that argument for EVERY goty winner ever.

Don't worry, warrior. Daddy MS will continue to not notice your existence despite your constant defense of their games.

Why wouldn't they prioritize the MTX laden, piss poor MP? Whales and mindless drones give them more money over co-op Campaign.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Don't worry, warrior. Daddy MS will continue to not notice your existence despite your constant defense of their games.

Why wouldn't they prioritize the MTX laden, piss poor MP? Whales and mindless drones give them more money over co-op Campaign.
Read what you said:

It won because of console warriors and morons who spent too much money on a blatant scam.

The game is an insult to long time fans and shows, without a shadow of a doubt that 343i is a piss poor company with management that should have been fired after the first failure nearly a decade ago.
This is cringe as hell and stinks of a console warrior.

Let's try that with other past GOTY winners.

1. The Last of Us 2 won because console warriors and morons who spent too much money on a blatant scam. The game is an insult to long time fans and shows, without a shadow of a doubt that Naughty Dog is a piss poor company with management that should have been fired after the first failure nearly a decade ago.

2. God of War won because console warriors and morons who spent too much money on a blatant scam. The game is an insult to long time fans and shows, without a shadow of a doubt that Santa Monica Studios s a piss poor company with management that should have been fired after the first failure nearly a decade ago.

Reeks of a console warrior, right? That's you, pal.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Read what you said:

1. The Last of Us 2 won because console warriors and morons who spent too much money on a blatant scam. The game is an insult to long time fans and shows, without a shadow of a doubt that Naughty Dog is a piss poor company with management that should have been fired after the first failure nearly a decade ago.

2. God of War won because console warriors and morons who spent too much money on a blatant scam. The game is an insult to long time fans and shows, without a shadow of a doubt that Santa Monica Studios s a piss poor company with management that should have been fired after the first failure nearly a decade ago.

So your point is that his argument can be made for any game right ?But how many of those games had thread where even some of the most hardent fanboys said they got bored of the game and that there is nothing to do in it ?
I mean here you seem to be the only one defending it (alright maybe you are a few but very little) so maybe Dr. Claus Dr. Claus didn't want to reiterate what has been said countless times here.Look how many people turned their back to the game look at the awful updates and progress the team has made.If you are happy about it then great for you but some of us may have higher standards than grass level(but hey you should be happy grass is green).

Lognor

Banned
So your point is that his argument can be made for any game right ?But how many of those games had thread where even some of the most hardent fanboys said they got bored of the game and that there is nothing to do in it ?
I mean here you seem to be the only one defending it (alright maybe you are a few but very little) so maybe Dr. Claus Dr. Claus didn't want to reiterate what has been said countless times here.Look how many people turned their back to the game look at the awful updates and progress the team has made.If you are happy about it then great for you but some of us may have higher standards than grass level(but hey you should be happy grass is green).
Well the examples I used are a bit different. They're single player and you expect to get bored with them after finishing them. That's the expectation, so you can't really compare them to a game like Halo Infinite that has robust single player and multiplayer modes. I'd have to think of another apt comparison, which is kind of difficult.

I got bored with the game too after several months. I'm waiting for season 2. Season 1 did not have enough content. However, it probably kept me entertained for 30+ hours. And then maybe it took me 20+ hours to finish the single player. So that's 50+ hours of content. That's pretty damn good in general terms. Maybe not for a gaas like Halo Infinite.

And no, I would not say I'm happy about the current content. I'm waiting until season 2 drops next month and hopefully there is a lot more content that will last for several months. I have not written the game off. I've put it on hold until season 2.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Well the examples I used are a bit different. They're single player and you expect to get bored with them after finishing them. That's the expectation, so you can't really compare them to a game like Halo Infinite that has robust single player and multiplayer modes. I'd have to think of another apt comparison, which is kind of difficult.

I got bored with the game too after several months. I'm waiting for season 2. Season 1 did not have enough content. However, it probably kept me entertained for 30+ hours. And then maybe it took me 20+ hours to finish the single player. So that's 50+ hours of content. That's pretty damn good in general terms. Maybe not for a gaas like Halo Infinite.

And no, I would not say I'm happy about the current content. I'm waiting until season 2 drops next month and hopefully there is a lot more content that will last for several months. I have not written the game off. I've put it on hold until season 2.
Hey glad to know you put it on hold because you were defending it so much that it felt like you were still continuously playing it.

tylrdiablos

I played through the campaign (via PC Game Pass) and then uninstalled it.
I enjoyed the majority of it but the lack of level select and co-op is baffling. (Especially when you factor in the vast amount of people that worked on this title. The credits scroll for, something like, 25+ minutes!)

Shmunter

I wanna see this game crash and burn at this point. the fact that Microsoft thought the way this development went was even remotely acceptable is baffling, and they need a strong message. so I hope this game dies completely within the next few months
Phil was ready to ship it till the game got laughed off the stage with the initial showing. Imagine the state of it then.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Where's your deep dive? You clearly do not know how to read that graphic. You ain't smart

Yo man might want to read this.

You can read right? Because you seem to be asking other people this question alot while completely ignoring the posts and then posting this.

images

Over and over, why do i need to do a deepdive of a word map? The word map is the data so whats your point? The origenal was something about it being in a sentence which was great because it showed you had zero idea about where the word map came from, so why are you still posting with zero idea now? Where are you even going with this?

To put it in your own words "You ain't smart".

Last edited:
At launch, I played the campaign and it was "serviceable".
Another run through of ODST should wash away any remaining memories of Infinite.

ethomaz

Banned
COVID is really an issue right now?
Understand we have adaptation period but after that.
The company I work increased the efficient with working from Home… and f course there were some cases that generate mental illness but they made a team of specialists to work with these cases.

And we won’t back to offices anymore.
67% of the employees will be hybrid and need only go to office two days per month.
The others are all full home office like me.

And before people says I word for a small company… that is not true I work for Accenture… to be more clear the Accenture Interactive division.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah man, they should have jettisoned the Xbox One version around 2 years before launch (sooner ideally). Absolutely shite console really.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Read what you said:

I utterly despise TLOU2 and I have routinely railed against GotY awards for being nothing but fodder for console warriors and mentally ill children who need validation for their personal purchases. You are a sad little warrior. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. Do better. Have some standards, mate.

I know why they're doing it. It just pisses me off.

Gotcha. It is absolutely disgusting. Remember when Halo was an amazing multifaceted experience with a strong Single Player campaign that can be played in co-op? Some of the genre's best MP with tons of customization options and degrees of progression? Quality community made content? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Exactly. I *adored* Halo. I bought the special edition consoles. I watched every fan film, read every available book, excitedly gorged myself on all multi-media for the franchise until Halo 4. Halo 4 was a sign that things were going *wrong*. Very, very wrong. It had its moments, but overall it was the worst thing the Halo Franchise had released up to that point. Then came Halo MCC, a broken mess that took *years* to be in a playable state and yet it still had numerous problems unaddressed. This continued, on and on. I *want* Halo to be amazing. Its a tentpole IP for MS and one of the most important franchises in the medium.

We, as fans, as consumers should demand *more*. Demand better. Not be OK with mediocrity and piss poor trash.

What other games have shown I.e. SoT, No Man's Sky, is proof that games can recover and build the momentum they lost.
While that's true, the circumstances are different. SoT and NMS we're made by relatively small studios and were new IPs. I think there's a willingness to forgive those types of games. Halo is MS flagship IP, made by a giant studio. I don't think there's many examples of a game like that gaining more momentum after it's lost.

Last edited:

Shifty

Ran into a fun SP bug earlier. I zipline punched an elite and caused the hit sound to get stuck triggering every frame.

Shit nearly blew out my speakers. It made the whole first spire area an auditory danger zone, and needed a full console reboot to fix.

How they're at version 6.XXXXXX.XXXXXXX and still shipping bugs like this is beyond me.

Lognor

Banned
Hey glad to know you put it on hold because you were defending it so much that it felt like you were still continuously playing it.
I'm defending it in the sense that the core game is fantastic. It just needs more content. I'll be back to it regularly in a month. Hopefully season 2 has a ton of content to keep everyone happy for several months.

You sure you play the game? Better get on it those steam charts not looking good LOL
Yes, I do. Do you? I am doubting that you play. More like console warring.

I utterly despise TLOU2 and I have routinely railed against GotY awards for being nothing but fodder for console warriors and mentally ill children who need validation for their personal purchases. You are a sad little warrior. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. Do better. Have some standards, mate.
That's fine. You don't care for GOTY awards. A lot of people do. And for a community GOTY award like neogaf has, it gives you a great idea of what the general population of the board thinks. And for neogaf Halo Infinite won. That is relevant. It's a great game!

I'm still playing, but only in small chunks. There just isn't enough good content for multiplayer. How screwed up were they when Staten came back on board to right the ship? It's really wild to think they were so far behind. I still have plenty of hope for the multiplayer to be amazing eventually, and hopefully for some good single-player DLC. They were able to get MCC into great shape eventually (at least on console, not sure about PC). It's just so frustrating that 343 seems to almost always over-promise and under-deliver these days, and I can't really figure out why. Microsoft's other studios don't seem to be poorly managed like this?

Can someone summarize whats happened since the game was released in November to largely positive reviews?

DLCs do take some time and especially so soon after the christmas/thanksgiving breaks. Typically, you would have maps already in the works before the game came out but ive seen even DICE struggle with maps so soon after release.

What exactly are the player demands? More maps? How many have been released so far? It's a f2p game so is it like Fortnite where people just want random skins and shit? Do they single player DLC?
They have so few maps and they need more modes as well. It's really hard to keep playing the same maps over and over on multiplayer. The crazy thing is they have an absolute treasure trove of maps from MCC and Halo 5. They could of brought over some of those maps, even just maps from Halo 5 would have been nice. They also launched without co-op again, which was one of the biggest gripes for Halo 5, plus no Forge......

I know single-player DLC is going to take a while, so there is no frustration there. I also thought the campaign was great, but the multiplayer is really lacking, and honestly the campaign feels like the only "finished" part of the game

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
They have so few maps and they need more modes as well. It's really hard to keep playing the same maps over and over on multiplayer. The crazy thing is they have an absolute treasure trove of maps from MCC and Halo 5. They could of brought over some of those maps, even just maps from Halo 5 would have been nice. They also launched without co-op again, which was one of the biggest gripes for Halo 5, plus no Forge......

I know single-player DLC is going to take a while, so there is no frustration there. I also thought the campaign was great, but the multiplayer is really lacking, and honestly the campaign feels like the only "finished" part of the game
I would have liked the campaign to have way more biomes because alien ship and forest that has less trees than jada smith has hairs is not enough.I felt like I kept playing the same mission over and over.

Lognor Lognor seeing my comparison now :
will-smith-slap-slap.gif

No hard feeling man but it was too good of a joke to pass.

PhaseJump

Banned
I don't know about you people, but I will happily shrug and wait 10 years for another Halo or Gears game to play for a week and uninstall forever; as soon as Microsoft shits out a bag of money for a new Quake game, or the acquisition of Sega.

Top Bottom