• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Hands-On: PlayStation VR2 is a Leap Forward in Comfortable, Immersive VR

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PS-VR-2-1280x663.jpg

After getting to spend time with PlayStation VR2 at a hand-on event recently, it’s clear the headset is a huge leap from Sony’s predecessor released back in 2016.

PS VR1 already had a comfortable design compared to the competition, and PS VR2 simply iterates on that. You place the headset over your head and then slide the screen towards your eyes at a distance that suits you, making it especially comfortable for users who wear glasses.

Besides how it feels on your head, the big difference, of course, comes from what you can see inside. With a 4K OLED HDR display, VR images are ridiculously crisp, while an increased field of view of about 110 degrees, up from PS VR1’s 100 degrees, as well as improvements to the light seal cutting out light pollution beneath our eyes, makes for even greater immersion.

51897391159_f7b9795a07_k.jpg

Just as important as what you can see in VR is how you can interact with it. Whereas PS VR1 made do with a pair of Move controllers from a previous generation to simulate motion controls, PS VR2’s Sense controllers have been designed specifically for the hardware, which are also included with the headset, going some way to justify its price.

While PS VR2 may just seem like another high-end VR headset that currently exists in the PC VR market, there are a number of features exclusive to Sony’s headset. The Sense controllers include adaptive triggers and haptics incorporated in the DualSense controller, going further by adding haptics to the headset as well.

51897391199_64d60b890e_k.jpg

We left our hands-on pleased by PS VR2’s comfort and convenience, a huge improvement over its predecessor. But given the high price tag, requiring an equally pricey console (although it should be noted it’s still relatively affordable compared to other high-end VR headsets on the market), it does mean that the onus is going to be on Sony’s first party studios to deliver some real VR blockbusters that are going to make the investment not just feel worthwhile, but essential.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
PS-VR-2-1280x663.jpg

After getting to spend time with PlayStation VR2 at a hand-on event recently, it’s clear the headset is a huge leap from Sony’s predecessor released back in 2016.

PS VR1 already had a comfortable design compared to the competition, and PS VR2 simply iterates on that. You place the headset over your head and then slide the screen towards your eyes at a distance that suits you, making it especially comfortable for users who wear glasses.

Besides how it feels on your head, the big difference, of course, comes from what you can see inside. With a 4K OLED HDR display, VR images are ridiculously crisp, while an increased field of view of about 110 degrees, up from PS VR1’s 100 degrees, as well as improvements to the light seal cutting out light pollution beneath our eyes, makes for even greater immersion.

51897391159_f7b9795a07_k.jpg

Just as important as what you can see in VR is how you can interact with it. Whereas PS VR1 made do with a pair of Move controllers from a previous generation to simulate motion controls, PS VR2’s Sense controllers have been designed specifically for the hardware, which are also included with the headset, going some way to justify its price.

While PS VR2 may just seem like another high-end VR headset that currently exists in the PC VR market, there are a number of features exclusive to Sony’s headset. The Sense controllers include adaptive triggers and haptics incorporated in the DualSense controller, going further by adding haptics to the headset as well.

51897391199_64d60b890e_k.jpg

We left our hands-on pleased by PS VR2’s comfort and convenience, a huge improvement over its predecessor. But given the high price tag, requiring an equally pricey console (although it should be noted it’s still relatively affordable compared to other high-end VR headsets on the market), it does mean that the onus is going to be on Sony’s first party studios to deliver some real VR blockbusters that are going to make the investment not just feel worthwhile, but essential.

Why are you starting yet another thread about this? We have at least 2 other active threads praising psvr2.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why do people keep acting as if any and everybody that will want the PSVR2, doesn't already have a PS5 already?

THE DUCK

Why do people keep acting as if any and everybody that will want the PSVR2, doesn't already have a PS5 already?

To be fair, the vr market is potentially much larger than "people who own a ps5". It's part of the reason many people bought a quest 2 - the low total entry point. On the surface you could argue the "market" is hundreds of millions of people, as opposed to 30 million.
It almost makes more sense for them to do it the way they did than the way you are asking for.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They started the

"PS VR2 wins Best VR Award at CES 2023 from Laptop Mag"​

Thread on Jan 11th that this easily could have been added to, be they chose not to. Seems like they are advertising for someone.
The kilobytes to store threads aren't that expensive. Just click the ignore thread link and live a happy life. The marketing buzz articles from early access influencers are going to be posted and that's ok.

SLB1904

Banned
They started the

"PS VR2 wins Best VR Award at CES 2023 from Laptop Mag"​

Thread on Jan 11th that this easily could have been added to, be they chose not to. Seems like they are advertising for someone.
I mean maybe the user is just excited about it. If I like something I would share with everyone. Also op is reporting articles not throwing his bias opinion onto others

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I mean maybe the user is just excited about it. If I like something I would share with everyone. Also op is reporting articles not throwing his bias opinion onto others

It's fine, and maybe excusable when you maybe don't know one exists. But when you basically started the exact same thread 8 days prior, it's not so much. There's enough threads to sift though without double posts.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am interested in seeing how it compares to other high-end headsets. We all know the VR1 was a compromised low-end setup. VR2 should be way better considering all the advancements, the better PS hardware, and the price leap.

PSVR2 promises to be the VR gold standard for a while. Yeah, it has a price tag, but the technology is already paying dividends.

The developer of Mirage: Kayak VR said "The Foveated Rendering allows the game to look sharper than we have ever seen it.."

And the developers of Song In The Smoke have said "It stands alone, even compared to the highest-end version possible on PC VR - it's honestly not even close."

THE DUCK

same dude was swearing GT7 would not be the full game.

Not accurate at all. Asking for confirmation if it will be the full game and "swearing it would not be the full game" are two very different things. And was happy at the confirmation it was full.

reinking

Gold Member
I have already read those. Now I am reading this one. I will probably read another tomorrow depending on what it covers. My question for you is why are you reading them if you are not interested? What is your purpose to be in this thread? You realize every time you post in it you are bumping it back to the top? You are defeating yourself.

THE DUCK

I have already read those. Now I am reading this one. I will probably read another tomorrow depending on what it covers. My question for you is why are you reading them if you are not interested? What is your purpose to be in this thread? You realize every time you post in it you are bumping it back to the top? You are defeating yourself.

Was actually kinda hoping they would be merged but it never happened. I am actually interested in the content, just not the delivery.
The mods have done this many times before for many other topics, this isn't a new idea I made up.

Top Bottom