• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Konami is set to revive Metal Gear, Castlevania and Silent Hill

MrA

Banned
I'll believe it when I'm holding them in my hands, and it isn't a pachinko machine with a name like castlevania x metal gear : human rights abuses or pay to win garbage

So back when Konami was crapping on Kojima and chasing him from the company it looked like they were getting out of games altogether.

Now here we are with Konami doing multiple reboots of their classic franchises (I'm sure each one will be a success and please all the fans with no shortcuts or illogical story additions). I just don't trust them to make a good modern version of any of these games. Would love an updated Silent Hill but this has wait for review written all over it.

So back when Konami was crapping on Kojima and chasing him from the company it looked like they were getting out of games altogether.

Now here we are with Konami doing multiple reboots of their classic franchises (I'm sure each one will be a success and please all the fans with no shortcuts or illogical story additions). I just don't trust them to make a good modern version of any of these games. Would love an updated Silent Hill but this has wait for review written all over it.
I hope the new Silent Hill has Masahiro Ito designs and an Akira Yamaoka OST. I bet it does!

bitbydeath

Just want to point out that VGC has been massively wrong about Konami-related rumors in the past.

Ha50ICF.png

Same author too. Here's the full link.
That’s still relevant to the rumour in the OP. (Prominent Japanese dev)

Notabueno

Banned
Horrible news. To see some of the best games and franchises be defaces by parasitic impostor scums who destroyed Konami as a publisher...it's going to be painful to watch...

Why are we here...

Corndog

Banned
How the FUCK do you not give your dormant but classic IP to Bluepoint?

Watch these stupid motherfuckers fumble three of the most prestigious classic IP's ever.

greatness-this-close.gif
Why would they? Blue point were busy making a game for Sony. And now owned by them.

Woopah

Everything to come out of Japan Studio, Polyphony, all the joint productions connected to them.

The thing is if you're talking about prominent Japanese developers, not too many are actually independent - they are all tied to bigger publishers or platform holders. Now given its fairly unusual for publishers to co-produce with other publishers, the field of potential options is actually pretty limited. Especially once you remove teams who have a track-record doing a very specific sort of game that isn't comparable to Silent Hill.
Its not common but its not toooo rare either. Koei Tecmo for instance has developed games for Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Sega and Nintendo. Kadokawa has developed games for Bandai Namco, Sony and Nintendo. Plus Sega, Capcom and Bandai Namco all worked together on Project X Zone.

So while its not the norm, its possible that Konami is working with another publisher.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
China studio about to explain that the covid-19 vaccines were actually a way for us to receive nanomachines.

Metal Gear Mgs GIF by Mega 64

Last edited:
I'm not denying the possibility about this being true. In fact, I'm one of the more optimistic people on here when it comes to Konami, but it's hilarious that we had like a year of "rumours" about an MGS1 remake being made by Bluepoint, and then as soon as they're acquired by Sony and announce their next title is a brand new game, now the word is that there's actually an MGS3 remake being made by Virtuos.

The timing is just too funny.

assurdum

Banned
It was a good news until they said China. Now it's my worst nightmare. I see galore of gymnic smartphone games in the horizon.

Last edited:
Yea I mean I am willing to give them benefit of the doubt since they have done a good job on ports/Remasters. But thats totally different than remaking a game from scratch which it sounds like at least one of the titles is getting.
Isn't that what Bluepoint did though? Ports and remasters, then they made remakes of SotC and Demon's Souls.

Don't you guys get bored of these baseless rumours about Konami all the time?
It's an easy way people to vent and cope with their Konami frustrations I suppose. Like moths to a light bulb, just tell people Konami are rebooting some old IP and they'll get going.

Hugare

Every "remaster" that Virtuos touched was fucked up

"Return to Arkham" had inferior graphics than the originals, running at 30 fps on PS4/One.

The Outer Worlds on the Switch is a joke

Bioshock Infinite had a bunch of problems

Dark Souls Remastered had fucked up sound quality on the Switch (still to this day)

FF X Remastered had retarded Tidus and etc.

Cant wait for them to put their hands on one of the most beloved games of all time

Fatbody

The rumored MGS remake never made a lot of sense. The fresh coat of paint approach of Crash/Spyro/THPS1&2 wouldn’t be sufficient because the most compelling part of the original was its presentation. MGS1 gameplay is extremely dated, and even making tweaks to it like in Twin Snakes just broke the whole thing. MGS 3 by comparison is a much more well rounded experience that still kinda holds up today. In order for a MGS1 remake to make an impact similar to its original, it would have to be a big budget reimagining with plenty of liberties taken, which would almost certainly piss people off. They’d probably be better off just making a new one at that point.

And also, I hate to always bring this kind of stuff up but it needs to be said. You wouldn’t want Bluepoint making a MGS reimagining. They dipped their toes into woke revisionism in Demon’s Souls with diversity quota swaps of NPC characters. If that’s where their heads are at, could you imagine how they would treat parts of MGS if they had more creative freedom? That Singapore studio might not have the technical prowess of Bluepoint, but I highly doubt you’ll see them cut content for “modern audiences”

Astral Dog

i wait to see what happens, but Castlevania without Iga and other longtime developers is just not the same to me, i guess Konami could try to get them back. They could outsource it, but to who? 🤷🏻‍♂️

laynelane

I'd be really excited if Konami were selling these franchises/IPs to studios who genuinely care about them. It would be great to see these titles on current gen, but Konami doesn't inspire any confidence at all.

kiphalfton

Is Konami getting Kojima back or do they own the Metal Gear ip?

Anyway I welcome Castlevania cumming back!

After Kojima wasted however much time and money on MGSV decelopment, it's no wonder Konami pivoted so hard to pachinko machines to get back in the green. I mean seriously, dude must have wasted hundreds of millions of dollars.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its not common but its not toooo rare either. Koei Tecmo for instance has developed games for Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Sega and Nintendo. Kadokawa has developed games for Bandai Namco, Sony and Nintendo. Plus Sega, Capcom and Bandai Namco all worked together on Project X Zone.

So while its not the norm, its possible that Konami is working with another publisher.

All true, but you get the sense that Konami are wanting to use these franchises to rebuild their profile so I'm not sure if they'd go the co-prod route. Partnering with a platform holder would seem like a better fit for them in my opinion.

On the other hand, given how they've treated Silent Hill historically... maybe they are going to cheap it out by handing it of to a smaller outfit.

Woopah

All true, but you get the sense that Konami are wanting to use these franchises to rebuild their profile so I'm not sure if they'd go the co-prod route. Partnering with a platform holder would seem like a better fit for them in my opinion.

On the other hand, given how they've treated Silent Hill historically... maybe they are going to cheap it out by handing it of to a smaller outfit.
Its difficult to really, I wouldn't be surprised if a platform holder was involved. MGS has always been important to Sony and Nintendo and Konami have got pretty close these days.

Soodanim

How long will it take for MGS fans to accept Kojima was done with Metal Gear long before he actually stopped making then, and doesn't want to return to it?
It was a joke about prominent Konami franchise devs that left and now head their own studios elsewhere.

Do you really think I would suggest that Konami would choose Kojima for anything after their well known falling out? Not to mention the idea that Iga and friends would drop the entire IP they created to do the old IP for their old bosses, losing creative freedom in the process?

GIF by Jason Clarke

Interesting rumour about it being Virtuous, they were one of groups mentioned some time back in relation to Sony acquisitions.
I would be surprised with that though, they're a really large organisation with several divisions and really wouldn't be cheap.
I know that Virtuous announced only this month that they were looking become more prominent in the global market through partnerships and acquisitions which again makes it sound even more unlikely.

It was a joke about prominent Konami franchise devs that left and now head their own studios elsewhere.

Do you really think I would suggest that Konami would choose Kojima for anything after their well known falling out? Not to mention the idea that Iga and friends would drop the entire IP they created to do the old IP for their old bosses, losing creative freedom in the process?

GIF by Jason Clarke
To be fair, every time Konami get brought up these days there are people who always say they should give MGS "back to Kojima". I think my initial assumption was reasonable here honestly, but fair enough if you were kidding.

I just want to be clear that a lot of this information isn't anything new. It's publicly available information that Konami has been building back it's gaming division over the last few years with new hirings, and gradually releasing more new original games that aren't just PES, and so on.

But most people pay literally zero attention to what Konami does and still think they're only interested in pachinko (BTW the pachinko and gaming sectors of Konami are totally different departments in the company - Konami Digital Entertainment for games and Konami Amusements for pachi) when the Japamese market has been shifting away from that for a while now.

GreatnessRD

All I'll say is...

Y'all better not fuck up the Greatest Game of all-time, Metal Gear Solid 3!

And imma leave it at that.

junguler

Banned
we know how a kojima game without konami looks like, we might as well wait to see how konami does with a AAA game without kojima

bender

What time is it?
Konami going to Konami. They are going to hire Denis Dyack and Tomm Hulett to head up their Chinese outsourced projects to make all of our dreams come true

kyliethicc

Gotta assume Konami will handpick the cheapest for hire studios and give them minimal budgets for cheap cash grabs. Look at PES. Bloober? Yup. Cheap and simple.

Tschumi

I rode past their Tokyo office last week, gave it the stink eye lol

I wonder why they've suddenly backtracked on their apparent commitment to mobile gaming

VulcanRaven

The rumored MGS remake never made a lot of sense. The fresh coat of paint approach of Crash/Spyro/THPS1&2 wouldn’t be sufficient because the most compelling part of the original was its presentation. MGS1 gameplay is extremely dated, and even making tweaks to it like in Twin Snakes just broke the whole thing. MGS 3 by comparison is a much more well rounded experience that still kinda holds up today. In order for a MGS1 remake to make an impact similar to its original, it would have to be a big budget reimagining with plenty of liberties taken, which would almost certainly piss people off. They’d probably be better off just making a new one at that point.

And also, I hate to always bring this kind of stuff up but it needs to be said. You wouldn’t want Bluepoint making a MGS reimagining. They dipped their toes into woke revisionism in Demon’s Souls with diversity quota swaps of NPC characters. If that’s where their heads are at, could you imagine how they would treat parts of MGS if they had more creative freedom? That Singapore studio might not have the technical prowess of Bluepoint, but I highly doubt you’ll see them cut content for “modern audiences”
Best option would be remaking Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Most people haven't played them and remakes would be very different. They would be like new games. They could use MGSV gameplay.

Last edited:
It's coming for sure, it's all about nostalgia now until they hypothetically ruin these series like the Star Wars sequels and prequels.

Soodanim

I just remembered the last time they tried to reboot Castlevania. I’d forgotten about it entirely because it was a shitty GOW clone with a whole lot more tedium.

I will remain hopeful because all three IPs have had fantastic games, but reboots are very rarely worth anyone’s time and outsourced reboots by a company who doesn’t give a shit even less so. They’re hardly going to be passion projects.

I'd say take mgs5 controls and then expand mgs1. Like expand shadow moses. Expand the base with new areas like crew quarters etc. Even have more out door areas. Mgs4 kinda did that when revisiting shadow moses you saw one or two more areas. It can be done again.

But here's the thing about a remake, the movie with Oscar is Issac will be coming out in a while so Konami will want some sort of mgs video game out around the same time.

Top Bottom