• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Platform of the Year is PlayStation 4

kretos

Banned
PS4 didn’t only finish its reign as Sony’s top system on a high note, it set the tone for the PlayStation 5. 2020 was a culmination of a message that began in 2013 at launch. A focus on blockbuster, exclusive games.

It’s hard to imagine a generation going better for anyone than the PS4’s era of dominance did for Sony. It’s the second-highest selling home console of all time, behind it’s older brother the PlayStation 2. All of this coming after some were heralding the end times for consoles before the generation even began.

In a year in which the focus would firmly shift towards the PlayStation 5, Sony has done tremendously well in sending off the PS4 in style.

kretos

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem get itt! when you get unbanned...

he's still banned

tenor.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, no explanations needed for this choice.

The same year the PS5 launches Sony released a couple of banger games.

Then you have Dreams. Then the VR support...

Roufianos

No doubt. Nioh 2, GoT, Miles Morales, FF7, Sackboy and some weirdos even liked The Last of Us 2. An incredible year really.

AmuroChan

It's been an incredible year for PS4. Most consoles will peak mid-cycle in terms of output and then slowly plateau or peter out towards the end of its life cycle. The PS4 will finish 2021 having shipped MLB, Dreams, TLOU II, Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales, and Sackboy. That's going out with a bang.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, its hard to imagine going out on a higher note than PS4 has this year.

Even the tumultuous launch and polarizing reception of TLOU2 didn't really figure that much given that so many big first and second party releases sandwiched it.

The only concern really is that given the lead-times on things all this output came under the aegis of the now departed Shaun Layden, so whether this success will continue or not under Jim Ryan remains to be seen.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Xbox one shows it better.
PS5 anyone?

No, TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, FFVII Remake, Nioh 2, etc showed that CDPR dropped the ball. It's not the PS4's fault (or Xbox One, which is even worse). CDPR just didn't give AF.
My point that HW is old and that if anything (if you are fan of Sony games), PS5 is better choice for some praise.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
For the year as a whole I probably would have picked the Switch. But even that feels like a stretch.

I don’t see how the PS5 doesn’t win this hands down as a platform though. Maybe I’m weird but after getting both new consoles I really didn’t come away feeling good about the PS4 Pro or 1X this year so much as “thank god we have new consoles”.

Then again every console gen for me tends to run on a trend where I love the new boxes for a couple years and then PC kinda runs away with it until the next gen. Maybe the new SSD tech will keep these new consoles in higher regard since SSDs in PCs were probably the biggest performance upgrade ever.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Series X is my platform of the year. Outside of Tsushima, I was playing PS4 just to waste time until the now current generation arrived. PS4 is long gone.

However, PlayStation 4 is my #1 gaming console of all time though followed by Xbox 360 at #2 and Super Nintendo at #3.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I forgot Miles and Sack Boy are cross gen.

Yeah, this is no contest.

And once again, PS5 output didn't suffer while supporting PS5.

Wunray

In terms of exclusives sure I can see why, but for me, as long as you have to pay to play online it's a no from me though.

S73v3

Banned
For a huge chunk of players, Sony does the final year of their console's life right, I'll give them that.

They also did a pretty ok job at launching a platform too.

Can't discredit VGC opinion after giving Phil the award for Industry Man of the Year. Truly a respectable outlet gamers from different stripes and colors can agree on. 🌬️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️

Deserved choice.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Never answer to someone who only uses emojis and memes to get their point across.

They usually aren't coherent enough to formulate a reply.

Or they are up way past their bedtime.
He set the early narrative for this generation by claiming Xbox would have the most powerful console, which we now know isn't true. He then claimed he "felt good" after Sony's showing, knowing fully well that they had nothing and what little they did have wasn't ready. Showing Halo Infinite as a marquee title only to delay it a full year might be the furthest out of touch a gaming executive team has ever been with their audience. Now they're in the worst of all worlds, with a weaker console and no games. He now has a failed console launch that he can't dodge responsibility for, and we're about to head into the Spring when we really find out just how far behind Xbox is.

I don't know who the next CEO of Xbox will be, but I bet we'll continue hearing every single year how they're "finally turning Xbox around" and winning Person of the Year from sites like VGC.

Woopah

Couldn't agree more. Sony has really made me a fan this generation with lots of meaty single player games and their mixture of big franchises and new IP. This year was no exception.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not even a slight competition lets be real.

The Last of Us Part II - GOTG, best story and gameplay combo in gaming history. Most polished game of all time. Possibly the most important game in modern history. Will be remembered as the Citizen Kane of the medium, as in it will age like fine wine and be more respected over time. A watershed moment in gaming.

Ghosts of Tsushima - A brand new IP at the end of the gen. Gorgeous visuals and fun combat.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - A remake to an all time classic. A love letter to fans of the genre.

Thank you, Ken Kutagari.

Last edited:

Romulus

Definitely the best console of the generation, but for platform of the year? I would argue the Oculus Quest 2. One of the most impressive pieces of tech ever for $300

Last edited:
Top Bottom