• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: PS+ Collection Version of Resident Evil 7 Not Eligible For Next-Gen Upgrades.

ManaByte

Embarrassing way to run a gaming company. Free update, make it free

The problem is how current PS5 upgrades work on the console. They're not really upgrades, it just gives you a free PS5 version of the game. So if they were to offer the PS5 "upgrade" free to anyone who has the PS+ version of the game it'd be granting them a free PS5 copy that's not tied to their PS+ subscription, meaning they keep it forever.

The solution would the make PS+ PS5 upgrades that are tied to your PS+ subscription, but they'd probably just rather make people buy the PS5 version instead.

Shmunter

The problem is how current PS5 upgrades work on the console. They're not really upgrades, it just gives you a free PS5 version of the game. So if they were to offer the PS5 "upgrade" free to anyone who has the PS+ version of the game it'd be granting them a free PS5 copy that's not tied to their PS+ subscription, meaning they keep it forever.

The solution would the make PS+ PS5 upgrades that are tied to your PS+ subscription, but they'd probably just rather make people buy the PS5 version instead.
I understand what you’re saying, pure incompetence then. It’s confusing, reflects poorly on PS Plus, reflects poorly on Sony. Only Sony can fix this with policy, but I’m sure Jim prefers the 30% kickback anyway rather than building long term confidence and goodwill.

Last edited:

NickFire

No dispute - they have no obligation. But this is still nickel and dime BS in my humble opinion. It's also a missed opportunity to get people invested in RE franchise who aren't already.

K' Dash

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Jaybe

Seems like Sony/Capcom should sort out getting the PS5 version onto the collection, or in PS Extra.

Dr.Morris79

Shannyn Sossamon Cringe GIF

That's a really bad way to pretending you're not understanding the issue.
Oh, right. So let me get this straight. Person buys a PS+ subscription, person downloads his 'rental' copy of Resident Evil 7, person finds out his un-owned copy of Resident Evil 7 is not going to be upgraded even though they are continuously paying to access it

It was never free, and truth be told should be the first edition updated as people are still paying for the privilege..

Did I miss anything out for you for you?

Swift_Star

Banned
Oh, right. So let me get this straight. Person buys a PS+ subscription, person downloads his 'rental' copy of Resident Evil 7, person finds out his un-owned copy of Resident Evil 7 is not going to be upgraded even though they are continuously paying to access it

It was never free, and truth be told should be the first edition updated as people are still paying for the privilege..

Did I miss anything out for you for you?
Yes, you missed that it's on capcom to allow the upgrade, not Sony.
Try again.

Dr.Morris79

Try again.
You're paying Sony for the rental, it's on Sony. Try again

If you feel the need to blow Sony for whatever reason, thats fine. But it's on them to update the software running on their subscription service.

ManaByte

Regardless of who’s to blame, if you’re advertising an upgrade as free on a game, it should apply to all available versions of that game.

You're missing why neither Capcom nor Sony would ever allow it. They'd be giving them the PS5 version for free and not connected to their PS+ account, meaning when their sub ends they keep the game.

Last edited:

NickFire

You're missing why neither Capcom nor Sony would ever allow it. They'd be giving them the PS5 version for free and not connected to their PS+ account, meaning when their sub ends they keep the game.
FF7 changed months after the upgrade came out to allow PS+ players to upgrade for free. So your theory has already failed when it comes to Sony at least.

This is nickel and diming PS+ players and nothing more. We don't have to defend every instance people!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So due to their own coding incompetence they are punishing people who have active PS+ subs but cant play this upgrade which is otherwise available to everyone. I dont see how thats my problem.

Sony made the PS+ collection exclusive to PS5 owners. These games are only available to be downloaded on the PS5. PS4 owners dont have access to this collection. What is the point of this collection if PS5 owners cant play the PS5 versions of these games?

NickFire

So due to their own coding incompetence they are punishing people who have active PS+ subs but cant play this upgrade which is otherwise available to everyone. I dont see how thats my problem.

Sony made the PS+ collection exclusive to PS5 owners. These games are only available to be downloaded on the PS5. PS4 owners dont have access to this collection. What is the point of this collection if PS5 owners cant play the PS5 versions of these games?
There is no coding issue preventing this AT ALL and I can't believe that is being argued. This literally happened 6 months ago:

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-ps-plus-upgrade

From the bottom of the announcement:

"If you obtained FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE via PlayStation Plus Monthly Games then you must maintain an active PlayStation Plus subscription to get, download, and play this PS5 upgrade - if your PlayStation Plus subscription expires, you will lose access to FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE and will be unable to play any associated add-on content (such as FF7R EPISODE INTERmission) that relies on access to FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE."

Anyone claiming they can't do it because they'd be giving you a free game not tied to PS+ is ignoring the fact it is already being done. This is money grab.

ManaByte

FF7 changed months after the upgrade came out to allow PS+ players to upgrade for free. So your theory has already failed when it comes to Sony at least.

Square just decided to give them a free copy of the PS5 game. Sony had nothing to do with it.

I really don't think many people arguing about this actually have a PS5 and have upgraded PS4 games on it. When you go to upgrade a PS4 game to the PS5 version, your PS4 game isn't patched or updated. You go to the store and download a Free copy of the PS5 version (or $10 in some cases like Wreckfest). It's adding a digital PS5 version to your account. Disc games work the same, it just uses the disc as a verification of ownership, but it'll launch the digital PS5 copy.

Mr Moose

There is no coding issue preventing this AT ALL and I can't believe that is being argued. This literally happened 6 months ago:

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-ps-plus-upgrade

From the bottom of the announcement:

"If you obtained FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE via PlayStation Plus Monthly Games then you must maintain an active PlayStation Plus subscription to get, download, and play this PS5 upgrade - if your PlayStation Plus subscription expires, you will lose access to FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE and will be unable to play any associated add-on content (such as FF7R EPISODE INTERmission) that relies on access to FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE."

Anyone claiming they can't do it because they'd be giving you a free game not tied to PS+ is ignoring the fact it is already being done. This is money grab.
There is no PS+ version of Resident Evil 2, 3 or 7 for PS5, though.

FunkMiller

Square just decided to give them a free copy of the PS5 game. Sony had nothing to do with it.

I really don't think many people arguing about this actually have a PS5 and have upgraded PS4 games on it. When you go to upgrade a PS4 game to the PS5 version, your PS4 game isn't patched or updated. You go to the store and download a Free copy of the PS5 version (or $10 in some cases like Wreckfest). It's adding a digital PS5 version to your account. Disc games work the same, it just uses the disc as a verification of ownership, but it'll launch the digital PS5 copy.

So they can just add the Ps5 version of RE7 to the PS Collection then.

Sorted 👍

NickFire

You're making that up unless SQUARE is lying. From Square's announcement:

Shifty1897

I've been waiting for months to play this in order to play the PS5 version, and now I don't even have access to it. Which is fine I guess, I get they want to sell copies. Maybe I'll pick it up in a few years for $5 on sale.

yurinka

I think there's been a couple of others too but FFVIIR was the biggest one before now

if they give you a free upgrade, the way PSN works is you now own the game and it's no longer identified as a game you got through PS+

at least that's how it worked with Subnautica & Dead by Daylight IIRC
Sorry just to add, FFVII is not the only game.

Greedfall PS+ version also was (still is ?) not eligible for the next gen 4K/60 FPS patch.

The Game Pass version of Greedfall *was*. That's how I played it myself.

So there is definitely a system level component here as well. Cause I can't see why that games publisher would offer one service the upgrade and keep it from the other.

I assume for PSN identifies the purchased version and the PS+ version as different games and maybe publishers have to apply the free upgrade for crossgen games in both SKUs. In these cases they may forgot to apply it to PS+ version, or simply didn't want and prefer you to buy the game in PS5.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
The PS+ Collection was an early incentive for new PS5 owners to subscribe to PS+. You got that, in addition to everything else that came with your subscription. It was pretty much like any other monthly PS+ game except it's a perpetual collection of them on top of the monthly games. They're handing you 19 PS4 games right off the bat, which is fantastic for anyone who didn't already own those games. There is no obligation for Sony or Capcom to provide you the most recent version of a game that you didn't really pay for.

assurdum

Banned
Yeah it's definitely all a Sony fault. I can easily see Sony point a gun in the Capcom head who refuses gently to gains more money saying them "make pay for your free update"

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The PS+ Collection was an early incentive for new PS5 owners to subscribe to PS+. You got that, in addition to everything else that came with your subscription. It was pretty much like any other monthly PS+ game except it's a perpetual collection of them on top of the monthly games. They're handing you 19 PS4 games right off the bat, which is fantastic for anyone who didn't already own those games. There is no obligation for Sony or Capcom to provide you the most recent version of a game that you didn't really pay for.
You have a point about that this is almost 2 years old now. Would be a nice gesture if they did so, however.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

There doesn't have to be an obligation. The update is free from the publisher of the game, there shouldn't be arbitrary roadblocks to prevent users who have the PS+ copy to be able to download the update.

Shmunter

Exactly right- you don't own the game on these services. You want the upgrade then spend the money and BUY the game outright.
You own the right to the game as long as you are PAYING for the subscription. That’s the deal, always has been.

Now with poorly thought out policy, the game comes with an asterisk, caveats, strings attached.. Nobody knows where they stand or what they got.

You can get any dlc for it, even if it’s free. But you may or may not get the “free” upgrade - it’s a lottery.

Genius arrangement!

mckmas8808

Banned
I understand what you’re saying, pure incompetence then. It’s confusing, reflects poorly on PS Plus, reflects poorly on Sony. Only Sony can fix this with policy, but I’m sure Jim prefers the 30% kickback anyway rather than building long term confidence and goodwill.

No it reflects poorly on cheap gamers. Just buy games! It isn't that hard. Stop wanting to bankrupt the gaming industry.

You own the right to the game as long as you are PAYING for the subscription. That’s the deal, always has been.

Now with poorly thought out policy, the game comes with an asterisk, caveats, strings attached.. Nobody knows where they stand or what they got.

You can get any dlc for it, even if it’s free. But you may or may not get the “free” upgrade - it’s a lottery.

Genius arrangement!

It's not a lottery. It's just up to the dev\publishers.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
You have a point about that this is almost 2 years old now. Would be a nice gesture if they did so, however.
The nice gesture was when they gave you about 20 games for free.

There doesn't have to be an obligation. The update is free from the publisher of the game, there shouldn't be arbitrary roadblocks to prevent users who have the PS+ copy to be able to download the update.
The PS+ Collection are games people didn't pay for. You get free updates for games you actually bought. Not something you got for free as part of an incentive package. If other companies have done that, that's on them. Again, Capcom isn't obligated. I understand it's frustrating because there seem to be so many different rules for different fools, but I honestly don't blame Capcom if they decide you don't get anything else for free. Just that PS4 version of the game. That was what Sony paid them for.

mckmas8808

Banned
Holy moly, I’ve heard it all now.

Someway, somehow we gamers all lived long enough while also buying games. You can even buy it from a 3rd party for $10. Get it used from a friend. ANYTHING. If you want to live the life as a gamer, but never wanting to buy games........buy an Xbox and get GamePass. That sounds more like the ecosystem for you.

assurdum

Banned
It's for free if you payed for the game. Sony can give for free just the main game via psplus; maybe the publisher has an legal agreement with Sony who they can't give for free other stuff relative to the game without another economical agreement.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The nice gesture was when they gave you about 20 games for free.

The PS+ Collection are games people didn't pay for. You get free updates for games you actually bought. Not something you got for free as part of an incentive package. If other companies have done that, that's on them. Again, Capcom isn't obligated. I understand it's frustrating because there seem to be so many different rules for different fools, but I honestly don't blame Capcom if they decide you don't get anything else for free. Just that PS4 version of the game. That was what Sony paid them for.
I can see that side as well.

Shmunter

Someway, somehow we gamers all lived long enough while also buying games. You can even buy it from a 3rd party for $10. Get it used from a friend. ANYTHING. If you want to live the life as a gamer, but never wanting to buy games........buy an Xbox and get GamePass. That sounds more like the ecosystem for you.
Thanks for telling me what’s for me. Even though I owned the disc since day one, and gave it away soon after I got it as part of my paid subscription.

No tall enough high horse FOR YOU tho.

Top Bottom