• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: PS5 is biggest console launch ever in UK

ethomaz

Banned
What are you smoking? Did you skip the PS2?
PS5 launch lineup is way better than PS5... probably you saw a late first year lineup listed as launch titles lol

All PS2 launch titles.

• A-TRAIN 6/A6: A-RESSHA DE IKOU 6
  • DRUMMANIA
  • ETERNAL RING
  • KAKINOKI SHOGI IV
  • MAHJONG TAIKAI III
  • MORITA SHOGI
  • RIDGE RACER V
  • STEPPING SELECTION
  • STREET FIGHTER EX3
  • KESSEN
  • FANTAVISION
  • I.Q. REMIX+: INTELLIGENT QUBE
  • SWING AWAY GOLF/GOLF PARADISE
  • Q-BALL BILLIARDS MASTER/POOL MASTER/DOUKYU BILLIARD MASTER 2
  • TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT
  • DEAD OR ALIVE 2/DEAD OR ALIVE 2: HARDCORE
  • DRIVING EMOTION TYPE-S

Last edited:

Resenge

Poor M$ in UK lol
Why poor Microsoft? It sold out in the UK.

Also M$ really?

D6PfW.jpg

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
PS5 launch lineup is way better than PS2... probably you saw a late first year lineup listed as launch titles lol

TimeSplitters
Tekken Tag
Ridge Racer V
Smuggler's Run
Dynasty Warriors 2
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2

Maybe younger generations lack taste or hate variety, but to me, these games piss on anything available for PS5 right now.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Not really MS had real stock issues with the launch of the 360. Much like with the Series X they didn't go into production until the last minute.

Depends what you mean by last minute for XSX. Clearly for the UK they allocated effectively the same amount of units as Xbox One. That was surely a mistake even if they didn't quite have as many units total as they would've liked e.g. they could have supplied less to some EU countries where units were a little oversupplied to allocate more to the UK.

ethomaz

Banned
Tekken Tag
Ridge Racer V

Maybe younger generations lack taste or hate variety, but to me, these games piss on anything available for PS5 right now.
Fixed for launch titles only.

It was really not that good compared with:

Demon’s Souls
Miles Morales
Astrobot Playroom
Bugsnax
Sackboy Adventure
Assassins Creed Valhalla
Watch Dogs Legion
CoD Cold War
Dirt 5

Last edited:

fvng

Probably because this feels like the first real leap in console generation in a long time where as before the upgrades felt minor by comparison. The controller and reduced loading times are massive changes in the overall gameplay experience.

Birdo

Banned
Fixed for launch titles only.

Where the hell do you live? Because my country got all those at launch :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Demon’s Souls
Miles Morales
Astrobot Playroom
Bugsnax
Sackboy Adventure
Assassins Creed Valhalla
Watch Dogs Legion
CoD Cold War
Dirt 5

Remake
Spiderman DLC
Two hour tech demo
Not Animal Crossing
Nobody gave a shit
EuroJank
More Eurojank
CODLOL
Dirt Cut and Paste

None of these compare to even RRV or Tekken Tag.

Last edited:
It was Microsoft not supplying enough units which is even more bizarre given the UK is their second biggest market. There have even been reports of unsold stock in some EU countries!

I think Chris Dring at Gamesindustry said he saw the PS5 numbers but didn't say what they were. I guess Sony are waiting until NPD day (10th Dec?) for the PR?

Yeah series s is still available on some EU countries, I have seen them on the shelf of the biggest retailers here every time i visit them and same story on many cities/towns. Heard that they are also available on norway, sweden and slovakia.

Meanwhile PS5 seems to be sold out until spring at the moment. And it sold out in seconds/minutes vs 2-3 weeks that it took to series x to be sold out here.

People from USA probably wont believe how big difference there is in the popularity :messenger_savoring:

Why poor Microsoft? It sold out in the UK.

Also M$ really?

D6PfW.jpg

Using M$ isnt offensive on EU, it is just way to shorten Microsoft in a way that it is easier to understand, "MS" isnt as obvious as "M$" which hints about being big&rich company, nothing else. At least here.

Here even many gaming / computer magazines use/used (havent read them in few years) M$ to shorten it in non-offensive way.

I find out out ridiculous that people get offended by "M$".

If we start to use rules that "if something is offensive way to type in some parts of the world" then soon we cant use anything as someone is offended.

with same logic saying "Soony" is offensive, as it hints that Sony is slow etc.

Why get offended in behalf of multibillion dollar companies? :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Where the hell do you live? Because my country got all those at launch :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Your country got launch titles + late first year titles... you even listed a game that launched in August (Dynasty Warriors 2)... three months before PS2 launch in your country lol

If you want to compare first year lineup we can wait to see how many titles PS5 will have.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Your country got late first year launch titles... you even listed a game that launched in August... three months before PS2 launch in your country lol

That doesn't change the fact that they launched with the console for millions of people.

You can try and spin it all you want :messenger_grinning_smiling:

ethomaz

Banned
That doesn't change the fact that they launched with the console for millions of people.

You can try and spin it all you want :messenger_grinning_smiling:
It is not spin... it is reality.

PS2 launch lineup was weak... now if you add what developers launched 6 months after (so more time to work) then you have someththing else.

We should add what PS5 will have up to June 2021.

BTW even using the late PS2 games comparison PS5 had a stronger launch lineup.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
PS2 launch lineup was weak..

How the hell was that list of games weak? (YES, THEY LAUNCHED WITH THE CONSOLE OUSTIDE OF JAPAN).

I give up. Some of you are too far gone. Don't bother replying, we are going in circles.

Last edited:
What do u expect with lackluster launch lineup. People need new exclusives games for new hardware.

Judging by software numbers, nah not really.

ba3lgk8.png

It's still very much a Fifa/CoD machine. The one real PS5 game barely sold anything. Spooderman is selling ok tho.

Alan Wake

All PlayStation launch lineups have been pretty weak, to be honest. But Sony are still able to sell consoles and break records. They're selling on a promise of games in the future, and people know they will deliver on that promise.

Depends what you mean by last minute for XSX. Clearly for the UK they allocated effectively the same amount of units as Xbox One. That was surely a mistake even if they didn't quite have as many units total as they would've liked e.g. they could have supplied less to some EU countries where units were a little oversupplied to allocate more to the UK.

Not MS did not and was working on the AMD chipset right to the very last minute. Plus it was also there 1st time a Gaming company looked to do a simultaneous console launch in multiple countries on day one. Not that MS gets any credit for that mind. If it was left to SONY us Pal gamers be waiting months for the new hardware

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
It's certainly big.. fuck me I saw it in the shop the other day (display model, probably dummy model) but yeah fuuuucking massive. It's not far off desktop PC size. Xbox Series X is tiny given the power and Series S is... looks like a PSA speaker.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

"
According to publishing sources speaking to VGC, launch sales for Sony’s console far exceeded the UK’s previous record holder, 2013’s PlayStation 4, which sold some 250,000 units in its first 48 hours.

It means PS5 significantly outsold the launch of Xbox Series X and S in the region, which VGC previously reported had sold around 155,000 units on its first day."

For reference
THE UK’S BIGGEST CONSOLE LAUNCHES
250K+ – PS5
250k – PS4
185k – PSP
165k – PS3
155k – Xbox Series X/S
150k – Xbox One
113k – 3DS
105k – Wii
85k – Nintendo DS
80k – Nintendo Switch
70k – Xbox 360
40k – Wii U

wasn't xbox 24hrs and PS5 here is 48hrs?

Resenge

Yeah series s is still available on some EU countries, I have seen them on the shelf of the biggest retailers here every time i visit them and same story on many cities/towns. Heard that they are also available on norway, sweden and slovakia.

Meanwhile PS5 seems to be sold out until spring at the moment. And it sold out in seconds/minutes vs 2-3 weeks that it took to series x to be sold out here.

People from USA probably wont believe how big difference there is in the popularity :messenger_savoring:

Using M$ isnt offensive on EU, it is just way to shorten Microsoft in a way that it is easier to understand, "MS" isnt as obvious as "M$" which hints about being big&rich company, nothing else. At least here.

Here even many gaming / computer magazines use/used (havent read them in few years) M$ to shorten it in non-offensive way.

I find out out ridiculous that people get offended by "M$".

If we start to use rules that "if something is offensive way to type in some parts of the world" then soon we cant use anything as someone is offended.

with same logic saying "Soony" is offensive, as it hints that Sony is slow etc.

Why get offended in behalf of multibillion dollar companies? :messenger_beaming:
M$ is definitely an immature slur against Microsoft even in the EU from around 2000's or even older, I remember using it in the 90s on dial up internet, hence the pic. I'm not offended or defending Microsoft, also being from the UK I am still in the EU, for a short while at least.

Last edited:

xacto

"
According to publishing sources speaking to VGC, launch sales for Sony’s console far exceeded the UK’s previous record holder, 2013’s PlayStation 4, which sold some 250,000 units in its first 48 hours.

It means PS5 significantly outsold the launch of Xbox Series X and S in the region, which VGC previously reported had sold around 155,000 units on its first day."

For reference
THE UK’S BIGGEST CONSOLE LAUNCHES
250K+ – PS5
250k – PS4
185k – PSP
165k – PS3
155k – Xbox Series X/S
150k – Xbox One
113k – 3DS
105k – Wii
85k – Nintendo DS
80k – Nintendo Switch
70k – Xbox 360
40k – Wii U

Scalpers agree.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So they managed to produce more units than previous generations, despite saying that they had supply issues worldwide....

None of this is adding up.

Why isn't it adding up?

Supply issues are relative to their desire to supply even more PS5s than they could at launch, nothing to do with the production process or expectations of the PS4.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
What are you smoking? Did you skip the PS2?

No I didn’t skip PS2, when it comes to launch lineup games PS5 has the best big games. We are talking about the launch games not the whole library. PS2 has more games yes at first but almost all not that great as a launch titles but seeing PS5 at launch, it rocks.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Considering inflation, the PS3 is the most impressive sales wise out of those figures. That thing was something like 33% more expensive than the PS4/PS5.

Ps3 didn't sell out & I think it was outsold during launch window by 360 which was a juggernaut in the UK.

Unknown?

TimeSplitters
Tekken Tag
Ridge Racer V
Smuggler's Run
Dynasty Warriors 2
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2

Most of those games didn't launch with PS2 and came later.

Entroyp

I don’t know why would anyone say the PS2 launch lineup was great. It wasn’t. TTT and SSX were probably the only games worth getting.

By March we got Onimusha and ZoE, and from then until the end of the year the lineup was so freaking amazing.

TimeSplitters
Tekken Tag
Ridge Racer V
Smuggler's Run
Dynasty Warriors 2
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2 (LMAO)

metacritic scores

PS2

TimeSplitters - 81
Tekken Tag - 85
Ridge Racer V - 78
Smuggler's Run - 79
Dynasty Warriors 2 - 75
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2 - 68

PS5

Demon’s Souls - 92
Miles Morales - 85
Astrobot Playroom - 83
Bugsnax - 79
Sackboy Adventure - 80
Assassins Creed Valhalla - 80
Watch Dogs Legion - 70
CoD Cold War - 77
Dirt 5 - 80

PS5's launch was better in both quanitity and quality

Take the nostalgia goggles off

Last edited:

FStubbs

Could it be those people who said PS5 would sell over 200 million may have been onto something, or is this just an anomaly?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Could it be those people who said PS5 would sell over 200 million may have been onto something, or is this just an anomaly?

The hype has bled into the mainstream. This isn’t your typical hype, it’s a combination of hype for a brand that just had its most successful product ever and it has been highly heightened by social media spreading it like wild fire. Even people who never talk games are talking about PlayStation 5.

Don’t know about 200 million, but it’s looking good for fastest selling PlayStation. Next year is gonna bring the bangers too, so yeah.

Top Bottom