• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] PS5 redesign coming in (Q2/Q3) 2022 ft. 6nm AMD CPU

skit_data

Looks gigantic going by that pic. The original PS4 was kinda slim though so maybe it’s not as bad as it looks there.
I have one and even I thought it looked big in that picture. Idk, it might be something about the form factor of the disc version as well, mine is the digital edition.

I might have gotten used to it, but I don’t think it looks particularily big in my setup, and I only have a 42” TV

MoOImz1.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Had to google the current size after this post, haven’t seen it in real life, is this real?? 😲
kpukizk.jpg
I seen my buddy's. It is larger than last gen, yeah, but nothing that stood out compared to the old PS3 Phat. Was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be seeing it in person.

The PS5 is 7nm, not 5, so how will a custom 6nm process be cheaper?

Cool that a slim is coming so soon though.

So is it still Zen 2 and RDNA 2 based? Or will it be Zen 3 or 4? RDNA 3 isn't supposed to come out until end of 2022.
Like all consoles, they need to remain on the same architecture for ease of development. Don’t expect PS6.

kyliethicc

I seen my buddy's. It is larger than last gen, yeah, but nothing that stood out compared to the old PS3 Phat. Was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be seeing it in person.
Yeah exactly, its basically the same size as the PS3 OG, just a bit taller. Not bad considering how much more powerful it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I had no issues with PS3 tbh, I liked it, but going by pics PS5 is gigantic even compared to that 😮
cRQLlEC.jpg
Angles make a world of difference, ask fat chicks on Insta. When you see it in person next to them it doesn't seem as daunting.

At least to me it didn't.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I had no issues with PS3 tbh, I liked it, but going by pics PS5 is gigantic even compared to that 😮
cRQLlEC.jpg
Its not that much larger than a PS3, just taller. The PS3 is actually wider and thicker than the PS5 DE.

PS5 DE - 390 x 260 x 92
PS3 OG - 325 x 275 x 98

k2HYr7P.jpg
IIn6iIK.jpg

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Changing a design to "cope" does not sound like a planned event.
Do you think the Switch was planned to launch the year it did?

This was likely already gonna happen, its just gonna happen sooner vs later.

Or are you just not looking at the posts with PS4 revisions in them....

Look under Launch consoles...

Last edited:

truth411

The PS5 is 7nm, not 5, so how will a custom 6nm process be cheaper?

Cool that a slim is coming so soon though.

So is it still Zen 2 and RDNA 2 based? Or will it be Zen 3 or 4? RDNA 3 isn't supposed to come out until end of 2022.
Dont be fooled by the Marketing. TSMC "6nm" is like a 7nm+. Its 7nm with more EUV, so a little denser in logic.
This is just a standard internals revision for Sony, the difference imo is Sony are going to producing PS5s using both 7nm and 6nm to boost production.

This happened with the PS3 a few years before the Slim. Not because they couldn't keep it in stock, but because they cost too much to make. It was basically a cheaper-made version of the Fat with redisigned innards (It felt lighter too).
That wasn't just a cheaper made version. The origianl 60gb ps3 had ps2 cpu and gpu inside it along with the ps3 tech. The reason the first ps3 was so expensive as it was literally two consoles in one. There was also a 20gb version which was the same but cheaper.

The next revision 80gb if my memory serves. Took out the cpu and just had the gpu (i could have that reversed) which is what the mgs4 bundle had.
The next one after that 40gb took both out. This was right at the same time in 2008. Right when GTA4 and MGS4 came out.
It's the one i got at the time as it was $399.

Looking back i should of grabbed that mgs4 bundle. Oh well my original 40gb bit the dust after demons souls anyway and i got a slim that now won't connect with wifi or bluetooth and I have to manually plug in controllers.

Last edited:

truth411

So this news adds a 6nm TSMC node that nobody has heard of and is not mentioned in this article that details all their node plans for the next few years. So if it is happening it is not TSMC or not 6nm.
TSMC "6nm" is 7nm+ renamed 6nm. Its TSMC 7nm with more EUV.

The consoles are on TSMC N7P (P stands for performance)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So this news adds a 6nm TSMC node that nobody has heard of and is not mentioned in this article that details all their node plans for the next few years. So if it is happening it is not TSMC or not 6nm.
Its TSMC 6nm, which is basically just their 7nm updated.

EaZLSch.jpg

Last edited:

yurinka

It's hard to believe they would release a revision of the console a year an a half after launch, seems too fast. Specially when they can't produce all the ones they want.

Fredrik

It's hard to believe they would release a revision of the console a year an a half after launch, seems too fast. Specially when they can't produce all the ones they want.
Honestly, Q2/Q3 2022 seems too late if you can’t buy the current one. It’s not like they’re doing a Pro model, they’re just doing a redesign with parts that are cheaper or easier to have in bigger supplies. In other parts of their business new models every year is a norm, then they’ll even add new features but that won’t likely happen here.

Imtjnotu

I have one and even I thought it looked big in that picture. Idk, it might be something about the form factor of the disc version as well, mine is the digital edition.

I might have gotten used to it, but I don’t think it looks particularily big in my setup, and I only have a 42” TV

MoOImz1.jpg
Man I haven't seen a TV bezel like that in ages

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not hard to believe. If a revision can reduce costs they'll do it even if it doesn't change the form factor.

reinking

Gold Member
You are missing the point of this revision. it is because they can't produce all of the ones they want. This is their solution.

kyliethicc

1st PS4 revision was in 2014 and second PS4 revision was 2015.

Its totally normal timing for a PS5 revision in 2021-22.

It's not hard to believe. If a revision can reduce costs they'll do it even if it doesn't change the form factor.
This won't reduce costs at all, it will increase costs (short term).

They're doing a 6 nm model to increase supply. Sony are afraid they won't meet demand otherwise.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is 90% most likely. It's just cost cutting and I doubt they do a redesign of the enclosure until they can hit 3/5nm. They need significant power savings to reduce cooling requirements.

This article describes 6nm. It's very easy to port an 7nm design to 6nm and get an area savings of around 15% (which should translate to even higher cost savings).

I can't keep up with this nodeBS. 14nm+++++++ from Intel and now TSMC is rebranding their 7nm+ to 6nm which is really 7nm but with more density because EUV. Its just marketing BS, but when you lightly follow the roadmap and they change the node names it is annoying.

kyliethicc

I can't keep up with this nodeBS. 14nm+++++++ from Intel and now TSMC is rebranding their 7nm+ to 6nm which is really 7nm but with more density because EUV. Its just marketing BS, but when you lightly follow the roadmap and they change the node names it is annoying.
Technically TSMC are being honest. Their 6nm is about 15% denser than their 7nm, so it is a new node. Its just not as dense or power efficient as TSMC's actually more advanced 5nm node. N6 is basically just "N7 but smaller" while N5 is the real "next gen" node.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is 90% most likely. It's just cost cutting and I doubt they do a redesign of the enclosure until they can hit 3/5nm. They need significant power savings to reduce cooling requirements.

This article describes 6nm. It's very easy to port an 7nm design to 6nm and get an area savings of around 15% (which should translate to even higher cost savings).

Cost savings and lower power consumption is part of it (it might slow them to simplify and improve the availability of other components, maybe less copper for a simpler cooling solution for example), but it allows them to fab more chips: likely they can get a lower defect rate and can also fit more dies per wafer which would give them a big boost in chip supply.

Top Bottom