• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] PS5 redesign coming in (Q2/Q3) 2022 ft. 6nm AMD CPU

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...l-enter-production-in-2022-new-report-claims/

Sony will reportedly start production on a PlayStation 5 hardware redesign in 2022.

That’s according to Taiwanese business website DigiTimes, which claims that suppliers including semiconductor foundry TSMC are planning to start producing the redesigned PS5 console between the second and third quarters of 2022.

As noted by Kantan Games analyst Dr. Serkan Toto, DigiTimes’ supply chain sources say the redesigned PS5 will come with a “new semi-customized” 6nm CPU from AMD, which will be cheaper than the 5nm one currently used.

“As I said earlier, we’re aiming for more sales volume than the PS4 [during year 2]. But can we drastically increase the supply? No, that’s not likely,” he said.

“The shortage of semiconductors is one factor, but there are other factors that will impact on the production volume. So, at present, we’d like to aim at [beating] second year sales of 14.8 million, which was the second year of PS4.”

Asked specifically about the shortage of semiconductors, which is affecting all consumer electronics industries from smart phones to cars, Totoki suggested Sony had means with which it could cope.

“For example, we could find maybe a secondary resource, or by changing the design we could cope,” the exec said.

Papacheeks

Banned
So does this mean thermals might change? As in not as an aggressive cooling solution? Or is this more or less just makes it easier to produce the chips with no real big change in overall internal or external design?

Can anyone chime in on this?

"According to a recent report by Digitimes which states “Suppliers including foundry TSMC are expected to kick off production for the redesign of Sony’s PlayStation 5 (PS5) games console between the second and third quarters of 2022, according to industry sources.” Dr Sekan, an analyst has also stated on Twitter earlier that the next PS5 will come with a “new semi-customized” 6nm CPU from AMD.
Sony previously stated that PS5 production issues would not resolve this year, so it seems very weird of them to launch a new model in 2022 even though most people cannot buy a PS5 yet because it is not in stocks anywhere.
Sony CFO did state that the company was looking for various solutions to help the production shortage end, which could have included altering hardware designs and stuff like that. I am still kind of surprised. I mean, I don’t really mind another PS5 model as long as it helps to end the production shortage. I still do not have a PS5, yet just like many other people out there, I still cannot manage to buy one because of these production issues.
Thanks to VGC for the source"

it seems very weird of them to launch a new model in 2022 even though most people cannot buy a PS5 yet because it is not in stocks anywhere.

Sony CFO did state that the company was looking for various solutions to help the production shortage end, which could have included altering hardware designs and stuff like that.
The answer was right there, a design that makes the system simpler to assemble, smaller (easier to ship) etc. Will help with the productions issues.

I don't see why people find this so surprising.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So does this mean thermals might change? As in not as an aggressive cooling solution? Or is this more or less just makes it easier to produce the chips with no real big change in overall internal or external design?

Both, voltage needed will decrease (thermals as well), clock speed could get higher, and 6nm seems to be an odd node that not too much fighting over it so you can saturate the market with so much consoles quickly. They are aiming for it, breaking the PS2 historic milestone.

this is a bit earlier than expected. i'll be waiting for the redesign. i think a lot of people will be the same... it's hard to find a PS5, plus not many games worth buying for it, so a lot of people will find they can easily wait another year/year and a half.

maybe it will have a knock on effect. now people know a new model is coming it might force scalpers to shift their units at lower prices making it less attractive and then everyone can get a PS5 much easier.

Birdo

Banned
This happened with the PS3 a few years before the Slim. Not because they couldn't keep it in stock, but because they cost too much to make. It was basically a cheaper-made version of the Fat with redisigned innards (It felt lighter too).

Andodalf

Banned
Interesting if true, wonder how much of an impact that 1nm difference would make in terms of power drawn and generated heat, but I guess not much? So the cooling/overall size would remain pretty much the same as the OG PS5.

I think this is more likely to be driven by supply, they might’ve just been able to secure more silicon through that fab.

The global semiconductor shortage ain’t slowing down anytime soon fellas

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Interesting if true, wonder how much of an impact that 1nm difference would make in terms of power drawn and generated heat, but I guess not much? So the cooling/overall size would remain pretty much the same as the OG PS5.

It has to do with meeting the extreme demand before it fades away. You must capitalize on it, and this is a very smart move from Sony. Expecting minor improvements in wattage, clock speeds, thermals. Something subtle though, like PS4 OG and PS4 Slim (1.84TF vs 2.1TF with other improvements).

EDIT: Both are 1.84TF just checked again.

Last edited:

GHG

So is it a slim model or just an internal change without modifying the shell of the console?

According to what was said during the recent earnings call nothing is off the table.

Depends on whether they are experiencing supply chain/cost issues for any other components and if they can find solutions that are more readily available and/or are cheaper without compromising anything.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think this is more likely to be driven by supply, they might’ve just been able to secure more silicon through that fab.

The global semiconductor shortage ain’t slowing down anytime soon fellas

This is good news for you, AMD cards will have more breathing room with the next RDNA3 5nm. PS5 have eaten a massive chunk out of the recent RDNA2 cards.

evanft

This happens all the time. The 360 and PS3 had multiple internal revisions due to process changes to the chips.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

Radical_3d

It worries me a little that they are planning on overcome the supply issues by Q3 of next year. It means the semi conductor crisis may be last even longer. Well, it’d worry me if I hadn’t a launch PS5.

Md Ray

Yes, they'll likely use a less beefy cooling solution and regular thermal paste rather than liquid metal since the power requirement goes down as die shrinks happen. Lots of savings.

evanft

True but I don't remember hearing about a revision less than six months after a launch.
Products are planned well in advance of when they hit the market. If the launch is Q3 next year, that would be ~2 years since launch, which is a pretty normal cycle

Xbox 360
  • November 2005: Xenon, 90 nm GPU/CPU/eDRAM
  • May 2007: Zephyr, 80 nm GPU, 90 nm CPU/eDRAM
  • August 2007: Falcon, 80 nm GPU/eDRAM, 65 nm CPU
  • Late 2008: Jasper, 65 nm GPU/CPU, 80 nm eDRAM
PS3
  • November 2006: COK-001, 90 nm CPU/GPU
  • November 2007: SEM-001, 65 nm CPU, 90 nm GPU
  • August 2008: DIA-002, 65 nm CPU/GPU
That's just the first few years for each system. After this mobo revisions you get into the slim models that further shrunk the processes.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well....thats one way to try to stay ahead of the chip shortages.

Hope this works out for them.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The number in the process node is mostly just a representation and isn't indicative of any real measurement (hasn't been for a while).

For example, nvidia's Samsung 8nm for their current GPUs is mostly just a performance iterative step with the same dimensions as Samsung's 10nm node. It's the same as TSMC's 16FF vs 12FN.

In the case of N6, it's presented by TSMC as an easy upgrade over N7P ("no retooling"), using mostly the same electrical and area characteristics but with 4 EUV layers which supposedly decreases production time.

In effect, N6 is an upgrade path to N7 chips to allow higher production output.

Last edited:

Xyphie

TSMC 6nm is basically a refined version of their 7nm node (adds a few EUV layers and is design compatible) so it wouldn't be a major change. Likely a new chip on that node would keep the same floor plan, just be more power efficient. Think RX 480 -> RX 590 or Zen -> Zen+ kind of thing.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yes, they'll likely use a less beefy cooling solution and regular thermal paste rather than liquid metal since the power requirement goes down as die shrinks happen. Lots of savings.
This doesnt sound like a slim model with a complete redesign and it's hardly a die shrink, more of a refinement. I wouldn't expect such drastic internal changes. I'd expect something closer to launch PS4 pro VS newer versions.

Last edited:

jonnyp

if only that then ok but how would you know?

Because I say so. But really, come on dude.
1) 6nm is not enough of a process improvement over 7nm to justify a Pro. That would make the chip much bigger, worsen yields and the Pro prohibitively expensive.
2) Why on earth would they release a Pro less than 2 years after launch when they are nowhere near able to supply the current demand for the current model?

Top Bottom