• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: First look as Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required, must install)

DieH@rd

Banned
In short, anyone saw X360 integration into VS2012 will feel at home.
Article @ http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

The most interesting part:
durangoxdk41la1.jpg

- Always on, Always connected
- Low powered mode
- Kinect sold with every console, wider FOV, no motors, better tracking
- Kinect is required to be plugged in
- Low latency controller with "improved ergonomics", simplified interaction with console OS
- Bluray drive
- All games must be installed on HDD [you can start playing few secs after installation starts], game data streaming from optical disc not supported
- Only digital audio out

R3TRODYCE

Eh, I actually understand this leak.

Disc part reminds me of Securom, I don't like Securom but eh it doesn't stop me from PC gaming.

Guevara

That's a lot to swallow: all games will install to the harddrive? Play from optical discs won't be supported at all?

oVerde

Banned
A leak I can read and understand, hurray!

Edit: OP, copy my transcript.

The Durango console is designed to offer game developers modern hardware that is more powerful than the Xbox 360. It uses a familiar x64 architecture and tools, and compared with Xbox 360 development time and effort spent on perfomance optimization. Hardware accelerators, including "move engines" for common tasks, will be added to the console. Move engines can perform common game tasks like compression and decompression while moving data around the system. The console also has dedicated hardware support form common audio processing tasks that reduce the amount of CPU time that must be devoted to audio. The GPU provides considerable computing power, and supports Direct3D 11.

Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates.

Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be requiered for the system to operate. The console will provide HD videos, and will use new depth sensor technology to provide better screen resolution and less noisy depth data. Active infrared illumination will provide high-quality monochrome images ever in low ambiente light conditions. A wider field of view allows play in smaller spaces and removes the need for a tilt motor.

System software will offer a full set of system API for Natural User Interface (NUI), and the API set will be corresponding API used by Xbox 360. Skeleton tracking, identity, and other NUI functions will be performed by the system and for that reason, titles no longer need to allocate title resources to NUI.

The Durango controller will make the best-in-class Xbox 360 controller ever better. It will have low-latency wireless connectivity to the console, and improve ergonomics. System interactions that use the controller will be simplified to make them easier for noncore gamers.

Every Durango console will have a hard drive, although its exact capacity has not been choosen. It will be large enough, however, to hold a large number of games. All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from optical disc will be not supported.

Durango consoles will have Blu-ray Disc drive. Disc media will be used dor distributuion, but during gameplay, games will not use content from optical disc. An installation system is being designed that will allow gamers to begin playing while the game is being installed on the hard drive rather than waiting until insatallation is complete.

Audio from Durango will be all digital - 7.1 discrete PCM output through HDMIU and S/PDIF. Hardware accelerators will be included for decoding and decompressing common audio formats. There also will be a dedicated processor to perform common signal processing in hardware.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I actually like the idea of installing games while you play from disk. Installations will help with load times considerably and you won't have to worry about deleting them and waiting forever to install them again. As long as they let users manage it properly it's probably what I'd be doing any way if disk installs are allowed on everything. Really weird that disk streaming isn't even supported though. It seems like that's definitely hinting at no used games.

UberTag

That's a lot to swallow: all games will install to the harddrive? Play from optical discs won't be supported at all?
Makes sense they would lock out used games then, doesn't it?
Otherwise, we'd be returning games to the store right after installing them. Can't have that.

I can see where the internet connection required rumor would have come from. Somebody misunderstanding what always on, always connected is talking about.

Otherwise, we'd be returning games to the store right after installing them. Can't have that.

The 360 can install all games to the hard drive and also allows used games. Not mutually exclusive concepts.

Robso

The architecture is neat, but required Kinect sensor to operate rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah, I was hoping to shove it away in a cupboard and just get it out when I rarely use it.

Always online I really hope isn't mandatory.

And it looks like it may well not play used games. I think I'm out.

Can't always connected mean something not terrible? If it's always connected to your network it could background download updates and you could play music or video from it to your pc?

So, install from disc but no play? A one-time thing, after which the disc is "dead" (send an activation to a central servers?) perhaps?

Toki767

Can't always connected mean something not terrible? If it's always connected to your network it could background download updates and you could play music or video from it to your pc?

Sure it could mean that...but not everyone in the world has internet, and a lot of people that do have internet have a pretty spotty connection.

Hana-Bi

So I guess most of the leak information came from this little documentation overview?

Like what those move engines are for etc. ...

Biggzy

Another reason could be that the Blu Ray drive, as we suspect, is simply unable to transfer data into the RAM fast enough and so it is better to stream it all from the hard drive.

"All games will be installed on the hdd, play from optical disc is not supported."

wtf? Playing while the game is being installed is not a substitute, with the size of next gen games they ship the thing even with 2TB drives and it won't be enough for most of us 5 years later, we'll be swapping drives.

phaonaut

I can see where the internet connection required rumor would have come from. Somebody misunderstanding what always on, always connected is talking about.

The 360 can install all games to the hard drive and also allows used games. Not mutually exclusive concepts.

Seems like its just talking about sleep/low power mode.

If you've been following Durango rumours, you could mock up that overview in a matter of minutes. Not saying it's definitely fake or whatever but there isn't any new information there.

So, install from disc but no play? A one-time thing, after which the disc is "dead" (send an activation to a central servers?) perhaps?

It might require the disc to play, like old PC games. But yeah, most likely it will need an activation code rendering the disc useless (unless you buy another code).

Raide

The always connected part is a non-issue. The Wii was doing some of that for background updates. How many people really turn off their Wifi, TV, Console etc off by the plug? If it uses minimal power in order to download updates or even content that I push from a mobile device, then I don't see a problem.

I guess it depends how people read it.

UberTag

Another reason could be that the Blu Ray drive, as we suspect, is simply unable to transfer data into the RAM fast enough and so it is better to stream it all from the hard drive.
Another good way to cut down on costs.
Microsoft will need to severely undercut the PS4 launch price to ensure the Durango gets traction with all of these caveats in place.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Always On, Always Connected, Requires Kinect to function.

bVmoiRJ.jpg

-Always on, Always connected
- Kinect sold with every console, wider FOV, no motors
- Kinect is required to be plugged in

Not like this, MS

Not like this

Top Bottom