• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vice Brazil] Brazil will get Nintendo games again

ramparter

Banned
You think Nintendo are charging that much, because they can?

It's the Brazilian import tax. Unless you make your products locally, you are gonna get hit with crazy high tax rates.

Sony explains why the PS4 costs $1800 in Brazil:
PS4-Brazil-Price-Infographic-570x320.jpg.webp

Yeah, 63% of the price are taxes.
Imagine the benefits citizens will be enjoying with all those money from taxes...

not serious

It's the Brazilian import tax. Unless you make your products locally, you are gonna get hit with crazy high tax rates.

What the actual fuck?

Faabulous

That was bullshit then, and it's even more bullshit now where you can get a PS4 for a about 430 dollars, which is still expensive as fuck, but not nearly as insane as sony made it seen back then

lonerism

R$ 330 - R$ 400

LMAO

No thanks Nintendo, you don't care about my country and I will not care about your console either

M3d10n

Half assed effort. They could get much lower prices by skipping physical games entirely and selling eShop games and cards via POSA.

Twentieth

Half assed effort. They could get much lower prices by skipping physical games entirely and selling eShop games and cards via POSA.

Which is why people are saying there is no effort by Nintendo at all, but rather the work of an importer of physical products, NC Games.

M3d10n

Which is why people are saying there is no effort by Nintendo at all, but rather the work of an importer of physical products, NC Games.
Yeah, it sucks. Nintendo isn't really releasing anything, it's just an importer making a distribution deal with them, which makes both their hardware and games more expensive than Sony's and Microsoft's, who have actual operations in Brazil to the point you can buy PSN and Live cards in any supermarket.

IMO Nintendo could get a large foothold in the market by going full POSA. It was entirely possible starting with the 3DS, but they don't care. The POSA business in Brazil is growing YoY and I heard Microsoft is working with POSA operators and retailers to begin selling digital titles at retail instead of only prepaid cards.

tioslash

R$330 to R$400 for a game seems such a reasonable price. They are leaving money on the table here, why not charge something like R$500?

By the way, what a joke of a price.

void666

Banned
Don't even bother. With prices like these people will keep buying through the grey market anyway.

The only console i bought from official retailers was the xbox one. The price was reasonable. Everything else was either grey market or bought overseas.

Mariip

https://www.vice.com/pt_br/article/...stribuidos-no-brasil?utm_source=vicetwitterbr

Nintendo left Brazil early january 2015. Since then, besides the eShop, only the grey market was the option to get games, and they're expensive as shit.

For comparison, a imported launch game on PS4 costs R$250, and a Sony published game like Uncharted 4 costs R$180. A Nintendo 3DS game in grey market costs today R$200, and a Wii U is at least R$250.

Oh, boy...
Yay nintendo came back final-- whaaa those prices are stupid, i used to pay less money buying collector's editions back when the dollar was R$3,00

Sem noção

This is the worst timeline...

NolbertoS

You know who would pay for a Switch and games is that Brasilian guy that bought a $1000 PS4 in Brasil with games. Still remember he posts on GAF and is a big Pokemon fan

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
It's more because of ridiculous protectionist measures and the absurdity of considering videogames as "gambling" that makes taxes soar to the sky for them. There's no incentive to have official presence, Nintendo knows the gray market provides the consoles and those are still sales for them even if they only count as "North American" sales, and they save themselves the hassle of dealing with Brazil's insane burocracy at the same time.

THIS!

Not everything is "taxes", Sony's PS4 price reasoning was highly criticized at the time for incorrect tax calculations, IIRC it could launch here for sub-2K R$ if they wanted.

Bottom line is that there always are stupid people that will pay these prices, so they keep fucking it again and again ad infinitum.

Being a videogame fan in Brazil would be a life of pain, if it wasn't for Steam. US$10 Bayonetta all over me. (not counting recent Japanese publishers' games here because of their also ridiculous prices)

Yagami_Sama

$120 for a game....

I really don't know who is to blame.

Also, remember Switch doesn't officially have online access in Brazil, so they would have to make USA accounts.

No be able to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online, with my Brazilian account is a shame. It was possible to play like this on Wii U and 3DS. This is very disappointing.

Unai

No be able to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online, with my Brazilian account is a shame. It was possible to play like this on Wii U and 3DS. This is very disappointing.

I think it's because there will be no Brazilian eShop, and since the online will be payed in a few months, no online play for us since there's no way to actually pay it, but I'm still trying to understand how this person did it. Too bad there's no way to send messages to other Switch users.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Also, I wonder why Brazil gets so left behind?
Even some poorer Central American countries get Nintendo games officially.
Nintendo hasn't given a shit about South America (and LatAm in general) since the SNES days.

Platy

Central America is easily more corrupt than Brazil.

It's more because of ridiculous protectionist measures and the absurdity of considering videogames as "gambling" that makes taxes soar to the sky for them. There's no incentive to have official presence, Nintendo knows the gray market provides the consoles and those are still sales for them even if they only count as "North American" sales, and they save themselves the hassle of dealing with Brazil's insane burocracy at the same time.

And "continental size which makes logistics a hell" as a bonus

Top Bottom