• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: Sony documents show that single player is thriving, PlayStation users spend more time playing offline games than online ones

MP games have a place as competitive mediums but the hyperbole of singleplayer dying etc was always all about a push for more Benjamins. Thing is, once that gets overcrowded with established winners, lots of losers start to pop up, usually the smaller guys on average, and the thirst for quality singleplayer rises as the offerings diminish in this space. Sony has been smart in capitalizing on this. Nintendo also keeps a steady hand here.

Last edited:

Fbh

Good.
I might not be there at launch, but as long as Sony keeps investing in cool high budget single player games I'll continue supporting their consoles.

Though I doubt an EA or Activision care. They'd rather have less players buying games and then paying for microtransactions than more players that just buy a game once.

NeoGAF when reading something from Vice about politics, culture, or gender: "Lul Vice trash"

NeoGAF when reading something from Vice claiming single player is more popular than multiplayer: "OMG, Vice is great!"

This (or at least the relevant part) isn't some opinion piece though. They are just telling us about what Sony data is showing

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Those multiplayer games are also available on every platform. So no one would choose a console because of them. It is the differentiator that matters. What one side has that the other side hasn't got.
So the 6 online switch players, the 10 xbox fans and the 3 pc fans who purchase games. Sony consoles are by the masses still multiple player madden, fifa, fort night call of duty, rocket league ect with the occasional single player game. If this article was true Sony would have a 20 plus attach rate people cycling through single player games like crazy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Good.
I might not be there at launch, but as long as Sony keeps investing in cool high budget single player came I'll continue supporting their consoles.

Though I doubt an EA or Activision care. They'd rather have less players buying games and then paying for microtransactions than more players that just buy a game once.

This (or at least the relevant part) isn't some opinion piece though. They are just telling us about what Sony data is showing

I don't trust Vice's journalism here.

I don't think they're accurately presenting the information. It makes absolutely zero sense if you think critically for even a moment.

I get it that this is a fun story to believe if you're a fan of single player games. But I guarantee they're misrepresenting what Sony actually said.

We have so much data to refer to to see that PlayStation gamers behave very similarly to XBox gamers. Game sales are nearly identical when you adjust for install base. And we see pretty clearly that XBox gamers overwhelmingly play multiplayer. PlayStation may skew slightly towards single player comparitively speaking, but that much? Doubt it. Something is off here.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Last multiplayer game i played on console was Monster Hunting world, which was ok. Unless you count Genshin Impact as a MP game (solo game with some optional coop is not a mp game imo). I did enjoy Overwatch two years ago. But 90% of the time i play solo games.

lachesis

I also am a 100% single player person too. Gaming has pretty much been single player experience for me for past 30 some years, other than local multiplayer, not over the internet. I think its because of my personality.

Entroyp

I’m 95% offline nowadays and mostly from PlayStation and Nintendo. Sometimes I would try an online game for a bit but I just don’t have the time to engage in the long hours those game require from you.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Really glad to hear that. I see single-player gaming as ‘gaming’ period, and online gaming as something different, that exists alongside it.

That’s probably a pretty Boomer view, but nonetheless. At times I’ve felt like the single player games I love were threatened by multi stuff, and it’s heartening that’s apparently not the case.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I agree, however what does it mean "offline games", today is almost no game "offline". Obviously if I count those stupid accounts for particular publishers and stuff like that....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Company that doesn't make noteworthy multiplayer games have users spending more offline playing their games then online. Gee, who would've thought?

:LOL:... I guess they do not have the best third party publishers with AAAA online games on top of their own games :rolleyes:... low effort troll.

Last edited:

FastOrc

This is why I got a PS5, long-time Xbox user. I also have a series X.
My point is, I have been enjoying my PS5 for this very reason. I got miles morales ultimate edition, loved both games. Now i have decided to get 12 months of ps plus for under £35 in the uk.
Because I have never owned any of the ps+ collection of games, I have lots to go at for the coming months.. Loving Playstation for its single-player games..
This is where Xbox lacks.

Amiga

this could be a habit change.

didn't play MP for over a year. my go to MP games have fallen (Destiny, Battlefield). Battle Royal games are stressful, can't play the casually.

Wizz-Art

You made your argument as if on the platform you did not have multiplayer games or if those third parties treated as a third class citizen because their profits are so low compared to other platforms. Not having a point, you sidestep and move the goalposts trying to change the argument...

A lot of blabla as expected.

I always have to hear from Sony fans how important exclusives are and how Xbox doesn't have them, when someone mentions third party will be there and Xbox players will gladly play those untill the exclusives start to drop, Sony fans handwaive those third party games away... Now they are important again? It's like clockwork!

mckmas8808

Banned
People forget that it was Sony that people gamers onto Fall Guys, Fortnight, WarFrame, and Rocket League. Four of the biggest multiplayer games on the market.

oagboghi2

Lol, no. But let's try using our brains for just a second.

People really do believe what they want.
Take your own advice, and use your brain.

No one here is praising Vice. They are just stating their preference

Company that doesn't make noteworthy multiplayer games have users spending more offline playing their games then online. Gee, who would've thought?
This doesn't make any sense. Why would the games Sony make have any relevance here?

Every major multiplayer franchise sans one or two is 3rd party, and they are pretty much all on playstation

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
When you hate most of sony's single-player bore fests AND most of the multiplatform AAA multiplayer titles

Am I the only one left who just wants to play Arcade-style games? SEGA was perfect for that

Birdo

Banned
Am I the only one left who just wants to play Arcade-style games? SEGA was perfect for that

malakili-star-wars.gif

Wizz-Art

Take your own advice, and use your brain.

No one here is praising Vice. They are just stating their preference

This doesn't make any sense. Why would the games Sony make have any relevance here?

Every major multiplayer franchise sans one or two is 3rd party, and they are pretty much all on playstation

1+1 = 2 doesn't make sense to you?

If they are known for NOT making noteworthy multiplayer games it's really not that strange that players are playing more offline games. Otherwise they would've bought a Xbox with the superior online infrastructure.

There is room for both single and multi-player games. None of the platform owners are pushing a games as a service exclusively and there is nothing wrong with games as a service anyway. Good single players games tend to be like a good movie once you've played them three is little reason to play again where as a great multi-player game lasts forever. Different strokes for different folks.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Without them showing any actual hard data I don't believe it, at all. One look at the best selling games every year on every playstation console says it's not true. Between Warzone, Fortnite, and GTAV Online I would almost guarantee that more hours are spent in those 3 games than in every single player game combined in any given month.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
But but but “Gaas”, “Always-Online”, “single-player is dead”, ...

Last edited:

devilNprada

Publishers look at the giants like CS, Fortnite and LoL and think "ONLINE IS INFINITE MONEY FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME!"

We made my son carry a large rock for an hour for $10 in V bucks...
He was pissed when he couldn't buy anything for $10.
I have spent more on that dumb game.

sainraja

Things would get boring really fast if all we were getting were multiplayer games and you can only invest in one or two multiplayer universes at a time.

There is room for both single and multi-player games. None of the platform owners are pushing a games as a service exclusively and there is nothing wrong with games as a service anyway. Good single players games tend to be like a good movie once you've played them three is little reason to play again where as a great multi-player game lasts forever. Different strokes for different folks.
See, that's both the blessing and the curse of multiplayer games; if you are playing one multiplayer game forever, then you are NOT playing a different multiplayer game.
Basically there is no middle ground with multiplayer games. You either hit smashing success, or you die. This is because any multiplayer game that couldn't hit a certain player base size would be unplayable.

Yes, YOU are having fun. And that's great. But game studios are basically killing themselves trying to make new multiplayer games and failing to survive.

All the while, single player games that are well reviewed would sell well, and continue to sell years later for anyone who missed it at launch. Because the game wouldn't be a shadow of its former self just because you couldn't find anyone else online.

Kimahri

Banned
It's not even true.

Look at XBoxs most played games list that they regularly update.

The most popular single player game is rank #20 right now. There's only 3 single player games on their whole list.

It's a bogus article from Vice.

Most played doesn't necessarily equal most profitable though. Someone could play 1000 hours of Fortnite without Epic ever getting a penny.

If you change to most sold games, the list is very different.

A large portion of gamers are adults with jobs and families. We buy games more than teens, but might not have as much time to play, so metrics will change vastly depending on how you look at it.

yurinka

Someone should tweet this to Rockstar.
The OP mentions what players prefer and where they spend more time.

It doesn't mention where they spend more money. Companies like Rockstar spend more on multiplayer because they think (backed by data) that people is more likely to buy DLC on multiplayer games because due to its nature they keep playing them during more days.

NeoGAF when reading something from Vice about politics, culture, or gender: "Lul Vice trash"

NeoGAF when reading something from Vice claiming single player is more popular than multiplayer: "OMG, Vice is great!"
I assume it's good and normal to cheer what you think it's good news and good articles and to call bullshit or crap what you consider it's bullshit or crap.

This time I think this article is good.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Single player games like Dragon Age Origins are the best. But I can't help that optional multiplayer is good too such as Dark Souls for replay value. Co-op multiplayer if you need help, and invasions are best done.

oldergamer

I agree with this. I hardly play multiplayer games now. There are some exceptions. The ultimate single player story games are rpg's

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I agree with some of the previous posts that the biggest "problem" with online games is not being able to play them casually. Even something like Fall Guys becomes very competetive and toxic.

mckmas8808

Banned
See, that's both the blessing and the curse of multiplayer games; if you are playing one multiplayer game forever, then you are NOT playing a different multiplayer game.
Basically there is no middle ground with multiplayer games. You either hit smashing success, or you die. This is because any multiplayer game that couldn't hit a certain player base size would be unplayable.

Yes, YOU are having fun. And that's great. But game studios are basically killing themselves trying to make new multiplayer games and failing to survive.

All the while, single player games that are well reviewed would sell well, and continue to sell years later for anyone who missed it at launch. Because the game wouldn't be a shadow of its former self just because you couldn't find anyone else online.

Plus you can make a new one within 2-3 years and make even more money on the sequel. Whereas most multiplayer games need to stay on the same disc\download version to make the most money.

MastaKiiLA

Multiplayer games sell well as multiplats, but aren't their sales still just a fraction of the total userbase? Those low attach rate users probably don't pay for online access. They might not even have good enough internet to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if single player comprises the most playtime. It certainly is for me. I'm an old head, and I'm not interested in spending all my time online.

Top Bottom