• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video card performance question.

Dilbert

I have this nagging suspicion that I'm not getting anywhere NEAR the performance I ought to be getting from my videocard, and I'm not sure if either a) my expectations are screwy or b) there is something wrong with my card. I'm hoping that someone can point me towards either theory A or theory B.

First, the hardware: Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB running at stock speeds. I have an LCD monitor, and I run games at its base resolution of 1280 x 1024.

I am currently running Catalyst 4.3s with both OpenGL and Direct3D set to "Balanced." When playing Unreal Tournament 2004, I can run the game at "Holy Shit!" settings (all sliders all the way to the right) and maintain a very high framerate in most game modes. The lowest framerates are in Onslaught, Assault, and certain unoptimized custom DM maps (DM-CBP2-Tydal comes to mind), and they still stay above 60 FPS. However, I do get some visual artifacts (tiny white rectangles, 1-2 pixels per side) which flicker occasionally, and some textures come out a little strange (the grass on DM-Antalus, for example).

When I change the video card settings to manually control anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, the frame rates drop significantly. DM matches with no AA/8x AF now have frame rates which dip down to the 30s when a lot is taking place on the screen, and seems to top off in the 70-80 FPS range. Turning on AA REALLY kills frame rates.

Halo runs like a dog -- although that apparently happens to everyone -- and I get significant visual artifacting in that game as well. The screen is COVERED with small white flickering rectangles (looks a little bit like snow), and some flashing polygons as well. Turning on AA/AF removes the "snow," but the flickering polygon problem remains.

As a last data point, I ran 3DMark03 and got a score in the 5800 range, which seems respectable. However, there were all KINDS of visual artifacts during the tests -- flickering polygons galore, much worse than in any game.

So what's going on?

EXPECTATIONS: Am I crazy for thinking that I should be getting better performance, or is something going wrong? Is the fact that I'm running at 1280 x 1024 the main reason that my performance is lagging? (That would be surprising, given how many people run at 1600 x 1200...) Is there a huge difference between benchmarks and in-game performance?

HARDWARE: I have three case fans, but no special cooling on the card itself -- do you think that I have a possible overheating problem? Could any of the symptoms be related to getting a defective card, or would it simply fail to work if it were not quite right out of the box? Would heat or a bad card affect framerates?

SOFTWARE: Do I have any symptoms of driver update issues? Could poor performance be a configuration issue with the drivers or the games? What does "application preference" mean with respect to UT2k4's "Holy Shit!" settings, since there is no in-game AA/AF selection?

Thanks for any ideas you may have...

Slo

That sounds about right for your FPS and 3dmark score, but artifacts shouldn't be happening. Artifacts means somethings screwy with your videocard. Did you OC it?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Something is wrong with your card to be getting artifacts at stock speeds.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
9800 Pro cards seem to have issues with overheating, it seems. Make sure the fan is seated properly on the card and that your machine is running at a cool enough temperature. You might consider adding a better cooling fan to the card...

You could also try underclocking your card a bit to see if the artifacts disappear. Many 9800 Pro owners have been resorting to this in order to play Doom 3 with no artifacts and you may need to try it as well...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Personally, I'd dump your current drivers and get on the 4.8s. Just make sure you clean out all references to your old drivers.

Also, if you have an exhaust fan anywhere near your graphics card, it will actually make your card run hotter. GPU fans, much like CPU fans, draw air inward.

Try leaving an empty PCI slot underneath the AGP slot.

VGA coolers are pretty cheap also. But really, I think you need to get another card.

Just buy another, swap and return.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
The stock 9800 Pro runs WAY too hot for my comfort. In a closed enviroment, the card will run fine with the cooling solution it has, but when you add in ambient case temp, poor air flow, and mutated dust bunnies, that card can overheat quickly even at stock speeds. While I didn't have problems with the card in terms of artifacting, I bought a replacement Artic Cooler for it (http://www.svc.com/vga-rev3.html). It now runs much cooler and I can even safely overclock it some. It's cheap and a possible solution to your problem...

Top Bottom