• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game facts, news and controversies will inevitably be fogotten over time?

jigglet

Banned
EDIT: forgot to add the word "Which" to the front of my thread title! Can a mod please help fix

This whole PS5 "generations" talk has me thinking about stuff that is seemingly big right now but is so clearly going to just disappear into the ether. If they had back tracked during the pre-release hype it would be remembered like XB1 DRM. But because it was said post-launch? Not a single person will remember it 5 years from now.

I was playing on the Asian Rainbow Six servers a few years ago and was amazed at how many Japanese players there were. Conventional knowledge is that FPS games simply do not sell at all in Japan...

...conventional knowledge from 20-25 years ago.
Holy shit I'm out of touch. That hit me hard just how out of touch I was. If you told this "fact" to a gamer today they'd have no knowledge of it. Most people my age probably don't even remember when this was common industry knowledge.

I remember all the controversies from each of the generations that are almost so faint that I sometimes wonder if they're distant memories or figments of my imagination.

What facts, news and controversies today do you think will fade into the mists of time? So far I don't see a single one that will last.

Last edited:
Everything and Everyone on Earth will be forgotten once the Sun swallows the surface several hundred million years from now

someone as famous as Michael Jackson will be as unrecognizable as random Joe Smoe to an advanced civilization stumbling upon our Planet's remains in the future

Last edited:
I was playing on the Asian Rainbow Six servers a few years ago and was amazed at how many Japanese players there were. Conventional knowledge is that FPS games simply do not sell at all in Japan...
They really dont, japan posts sales weekly, sometimes COD will move more than average, and once in awhile another will but not really.

You will find most japanese fps gamers on f2p PC games.

Tschumi

I think tflops will be forgotten as the public is educated on what they actually mean.

I think hardwear ray tracing will go the way of the minidisc and software solutions like lumen will render it impractical - i guess software solutions will begin to match the hardware solutions in a few years.

Conversely, i DON'T think cel processor will be forgotten, because it was such a fascinating bit of hardware!

Last edited:

Interfectum

It basically is. Nintendo made a kid friendly fps.

The character disappears if you're behind them. The game still plays like an fps.
The Office What GIF

Top Bottom