• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Magazines

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yeah I liked several different gaming magazines and I also had several motorcycle magazines subscriptions. Almost every one of them is completely gone and now I don't have any subscriptions.

Last edited:

Fbh

I guess in a nostalgic way I miss when you couldn't instantly access updated gaming news 24/7. Getting a new magazine and reading about cool upcoming games or stuff you had never even heard before was exciting.
I still remember when the Pokemon Gold/Silver preview issue of Club Nintendo or Nintendo Action or something ( it was like a Spanish Nintendo Power) came out, I read it like 100 times in anticipation for the game.

Realistically though, the way gaming news works now is easier and more convenient.

Last edited:
I used to read the Official PlayStation Magazines and the Xbox 360 equivalent. I remember buying Alien vs Predator (2010) and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising full price, based on the Xbox mags hype and positive previews. Both games were shit. Especially the latter.

A little but toward the "end" videogame mags became really whatever and tired. Like out of date versions of what you're already reading on websites. I didn't really have much love loss when they petered out.

It is fun to occasionally go back and read older mags like Gamefan. Back when games weren't serious business™ and the mags were written to be fun and entertain youths. Course a lot of the articles and preview coverage in many of the big ones read like rewritten press releases. Well for US console game mags anyway. Stuff like phonebook era PC Gamer was pretty legit as far as information and opinion pieces. Or at least I remember them being that way. =P

Last edited:
My favorite were the Official Xbox Magazines. The demo discs were fantastic too. It was the only way to preview games since digital media was not a thing back then.

PSM was my favorite. Informative but also some funny banter so they were fun to read.

psm-0612-2.jpg

Last edited:

Woffls

Nah, I barely read all the copies of Edge that I still have. They're good for weighing down a tall wobbly Ikea cabinet, though.

Tschumi

I can only say i remember reading all about neverwinter nights and doom 3 in PC POWERPLAY back in 99 or something.. their demo disc also had that early halo:ce trailer when it was gonna be an rts too..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Every mag had a rumour section. Loved it.

I'll always remember this rumour (likely false as I never heard anything about it) in an old mag but I forget which mag. It was somewhere around 1993-1996 because my last game mag was a Gamefan one when Saturn/PS1 were humming. And before Dreamcast. It might have been EGM, Gamepro or Gamefan.

The rumour was Konami is making a 24 meg Contra sequel for SNES. Literally a small paragraph in the rumour section.

One rumour that was spot on was I think Quatermain said Sega was making a hockey game for Saturn. Was true. That shitty NHL All Star Hockey game.

I forget which mag specialized it, but one of the main mags had an Import Section, so you'd see the awesome games in Japan. Some would come over, but some didn't. But you saw what was out in Japan. And back then games and consoles could release a year earlier, so you had to wait a year for a North American version to release.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Game fan and Gameplayers were my favorite.

loved how game players used to hide little funny messages in small print all over the place.

Yeah I liked several different gaming magazines and I also had several motorcycle magazines subscriptions. Almost every one of them is completely gone and now I don't have any subscriptions.
I used to have a Game Informer subscription and back in the days of yore, an EGM subscription.

Sometime around the Neolithic period, I even had a Nintendo Power subscription.

EGM was where it was at!! I would always go with my mom to Food World for groceries and while she was getting our food I was camped out on the floor in the magazine section reading the newest issue of EGM. Good times for sure! My best friend was a Game Pro fan so we would always argue over which was better...lol. And who remembers EGM2??

I miss them more than most of my dead family members. Nothing like going to the grocery store with your parents and coming home with a nice, crisp, vacuum sealed EGM. Holiday issue, 300+ pages. And just posting up for a couple hours taking a nice dump.
Does anyone remember Electronic Games magazine? Not to be confused with Electronic Gaming Monthly.

nEhAOE4.jpg

This very issue here above I remember my dad buying me this when I was a wee tater tot. It was at the Albertson's grocery store right down the street from where I used to live.

So many fond memories.

This was a really great magazine.

TjcBbF8.png

hxNfInX.jpg

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I miss Gameplayers in particular for the comedy. Anyone remember when they made a dead horse one of the reviewers?

Aggelos

In the 90s, I would buy VG magazines to get my monthly fix. Translated GamePro was introduced here back in 1994, and I started getting it from issue No 03 going forward. Then in 1997 (if I'm not mistaken), the translated version of the Official UK PS Magazine (by Future Publishing) came along).
It was a glorious decade, because each month there was this "rendezvous" (with my local kiosks) to go and grab the VG magazine, just to feel the mental satisfaction of leafing through it.

Some old Kojima glory back from 1996...

Last edited:

ultrazilla

If anyone wants a nice nostalgia trip - here are some great high quality scans of entire issues of classic EGM:

Thank you for the link Tex. :messenger_heart: Bookmarked and will browse later. Does anyone know if the original Diehard Gamefan Magazine has a site like this where you can
look through the scanned issues?

Man, I miss print magazines. :messenger_pensive:

Erdrick

Very fond memories of magazines of old.

Electronic Games was pretty much the first magazine that I read as a kid. Reading about ColecoVision games and the like that were all looking so... compelling back then. Just seeing games that weren't set in space was a step up.

It's spiritual successor, Videogames & Computer Entertainment was outstanding until they went for a younger crowd and rebranded as Tips & Tricks. I loved the split VG&CE had between console and PC games at the time. Great contrast. See stuff like SMB3 alongside heavy hitters like Ultima 6 and Wing Commander. The July and August 1989 issues (I think) were great since I believe they are where I first encountered the TG-16 and next month, the Sega Genesis for the first time. They looked so futuristic!

Nintendo Power was basically crack on paper back when I was in school when it first hit. So many things discovered because of it... That Dragon Warrior strategy guide got me interested in renting the original game on the NES... and I kinda liked it. ;)

Electronic Gaming Monthly hit about a year after NP and was just awesome with the coverage. I had never known or seen so many games that existed. Superb console focus. Those issues later on in the 90's around Christmas were insane. Of course, their aping of Famitsu's review style wasn't a bad idea. So many days pouring over pictures and articles of DQ5 and 6, remakes of !,2 and 3... That never came here until a lifetime later...

Next Generation was very industry-focused and I loved the high quality paper and the interviews with all the huge industry people was invaluable for someone wanting to know more about their favourite creators.

Gamefan was pure hype for an import fan and Japanese-focused game crowd. They had some of the most memorable layouts and pics I had seen in their reviews.

The Official Playstation Magazine was not too shabby either. Some great covers early on. The demo discs were worth the extra price. MGS, Silent Hill alone justified it for me. Of course, the mag itself was worth reading and I discovered some really great Playstation games because of it. (Alundra and Tomba for example.)

I just remember the anticipation of going to my local mall or book store and seeing the latest issue out. The trek home was full of promise and wonder over what I was out to read and what new games were coming, or how new releases fared with critics.

Once the internet came into mainstream existence though, the writing was on the wall for game mags. Just couldn't keep up with the speed of modern internet, giving daily doses of news and more, updated in real time. I did buy the last ever issue of Nintendo Power, even though I hadn't been a subscriber since about 1998. It definitely wasn't the mag I remember but I thought it fitting as probably the last game mag I buy would be one of the very first ones I bought myself as a child.

I'm glad there are archives of various ones online. It's a real trip down memory lane re-reading some of these again.

sunnysideup

Banned
I used to blow more money on gaming mags than actual games each month. Living in sweden i imported alot of mags from uk and the us.

Gamers republic
uk sega saturn magazine(best mag ever)
psm
game fan
edge
next generation

Those where my favorite.

I still have 3 large boxes of gaming mags in my basement. I love going down there and look at old mags.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Isn't Game Informer still going?
Yea, I have a subscription through GameStop. You can get physical magazines, doesn't have to be digital. Funny thing is, I barely read it, but I also don't play modern games all that much. Mostly have it for when RE8 previews drop.

Magog.

Banned
I only ever subscribed to OPM and even then it was primarily for the demo discs. Websites did a better job of collating the info from the dozens of magazines into one place even back in the day.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I loved growing up with Nintendo Power and PC Gamer. I still have all my Nintendo Power collection, they sit in boxes and I browse them every now and again. I like this one persons twitter who shows of his collection of NP art.

I liked when there was a NP archive on the internet but Nintendo I believe shut that down.

Top Bottom