• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Gaming Market 2021 predictions?

noshten

Industry watchers like Mat P. from NPD, Dr. Serkan Toto etc revisit their pre-pandemic predictions for 2020 and looks to the year ahead

Flexibility will help determine success

This is not much of a quantifiable prediction, but there's little evidence that the coming months will end up being any more predictable than the past year. I am expecting more game delays, continued challenges in production and distribution for gaming hardware and peripherals, potential significant shifts in consumer play behaviors given pandemic conditions within countries or regions, and unpredictable impact from changing economic conditions. The companies that can best navigate these uncertainties will have an advantage. This is no time to become enamored with a particular plan or timeline.

Nintendo Switch stays on top

Despite the launch of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles, it will be the Nintendo Switch that ends up selling the most units of console hardware in 2021. I will go a step further and suggest this will be driven by content and promotional efforts rather than the release of a new iterative model.
- Mat
Switch Pro launches

Yes, I know, I know. I predict a beefed-up 4K device is coming during Nintendo's next financial year. And let it be said: "Switch" is just a word.

Nintendo marches on

Everybody expecting the Switch to run out of steam in 2021 is in for a bitter disappointment. The Switch will be the best-selling console this year as well, driven by more first-party games, a hardware refresh (see above), and the device having developed into a lifestyle product for the mass market over the course of 2020.

PS5 pulls ahead

Personally, I like the new Xbox but believe Sony's PS5 will be significantly ahead at the end of 2021 in terms of both hardware and software sales globally. In Japan (where I am based), Sony is very likely to miss the PS4's first-year sales numbers because of Nintendo's continuing dominance in both companies' home market.
- Dr. Toto
Read more at https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-01-04-analyst-predictions-for-2021

My 2021 predictions
- Switch to sell 30 million units
- Software sales to double YoY on the Switch
- BotW 2 to be the biggest console exclusive launch of all time
- Monster Hunter Rise to be the fastest selling 3rd Party in N ecosystem of all time-not sure who holds the record

What do you think about 2021?

AJUMP23

An updated Switch will release.
We will get a trailer for Metroid Prime 4
Consoles will be hard to find for a while.
Companies will have their employees back in the office by June.
Halo will be good, and the multiplayer will be a solid update.
Sony will have 2 surprise exclusives.
E3 will be big, but less relevant.
MS will announce Bethesda exclusivity at E3.
MS will show off 3 new exclusive games.
Cyberpunk will be lost in the noise when it comes to the game awards.
Konami will have a new Metal Gear game.

april6e

Wild Rift (the League of Legend mobile remake) will absolutely blow up and be the biggest hit of the year across Twitch, the app stores and the gaming landscape in general in 2021.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
-PlayStation 5 Pro
-Microsoft folds console business, focuses on cloud gaming services
-Bugsnax 2021 GOTY

sublimit

Banned
I predict it's going to be a boring year in terms of software. The releases that interest me are going to be delayed to 2022. Which suits me fine since i don't plan to buy a current gen console this year.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
"God of War 2021" announcement was the final straw in me buying an xbox and waiting for a PS5 slim.

Why? Because it was the last bit of bullshit I could take from Sony with this pre-release cycle. We all know it's not actually coming this year, and it's clear to me that this was played in the same vein as "We believe in generations." They'll tell us anything in order to pull us into their ecosystem and plan on making it right later. Really, it shows zero respect for those interested in a PS5 and a strong indicator of where the company is at right now.

Edit: Starting to think the "laugh" reaction is being used by people who don't have a rebuttal but are upset by what you're saying. I will be patient with those of you who do this.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think Horizon: Forbidden West will greatly outperform all market predictions, even if it doesn't garner the same kind of critical acclaim as the first. It's going to be cross generation this time around, on the new console with less competition and less games competing for gamers' time than the first faced.

Shubh_C63

While people not able to get PS5 and production getting hit (presumably).
Maybe Sony will switch to selling slim version faster than previous gen. I have to assume slim saves them some cost in manufacturing.

PS5-Slim earlier than 2022 Q4 ?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I agree that Monster Hunter Rise is going to be a behemoth. 15m sold through, easily.

I think the Series S will begin to take a grip on the market as word of mouth begins to spread and it becomes the de facto CoD, Fortnite, FIFA next gen console for kids and people who don’t care about 4k.

I think God of War gets delayed until 2022 and Halo Infinite does ok critically (86/87ish on Meta/Opencritic) and is relatively well received by fans.

Ian Henry

Someone important but not as big will enter the industry and it'll be a decent showcase. My bet is on Samsung for this to happen.

Last edited:
I predict more hot garbage games with less than subpar amounts of real substance that all lack decent gameplay.

Oh, and lots of flashy explosions, microtransactions, overemphasis on graphics and overloading the players senses because, well, you know, thats "fun" these days.

Is it really pessimism if its the reality? Fuck this industry and it's bullshit.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
2021 will be a year of dream game announcements for the PlayStation lineup, with tons of revivals of IPs that we haven't seen in a while and new titles from prestigious developers. That's my prediction.

Kagey K

Banned
2021 will be a year of dream game announcements for the PlayStation lineup, with tons of revivals of IPs that we haven't seen in a while and new titles from prestigious developers. That's my prediction.
Wasn’t that 2015 and we saw how that panned out.

Woopah

• Next generation consoles will continue to be supply constrained until Summer.
  • PS5 will sell more than Xbox Series
  • Series X will sell more than Series S
  • Switch hardware will see a slight decline but still be above the other two consoles. Switch software will grow.

Bartski

Gold Member
- not a single AAA with an announced 2021 window releasing on time
- shocking next-gen leap showcasing announcements for PS5 2022-2023 exclusives, incl GTAVI with some kind of timed or content exclusivity
- Xbox AA market takeover, Gamepass ultimate backlog king
- Hellblade 2 looking incredible, ETA 2022.

- all that irrelevant due to 10/10 god-tier masterpiece Elden Ring actually releasing in Q2

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
- Almost everything that was slated to come out in 2021 is pushed back to 2022.
- Scalping becomes the new normal and the sort of software used by scalpers will slowly trickle down to the masses (even more so than it already has).

Other than that.... Xbox Series SX will still have little to no exclusive next-gen games to play.

Ellery

- There will be more delays this year than actual release dates and game announcements
- Switch Pro will be released with a hardware dock that makes gaming on TV more enjoyable. Still way way weaker than PS5/XSX.
- Eternal discussion about framerate, resolution and raytracing taking place in all gaming forums.
- All of the "THIRSTY BOY LEAKS" (Silent Hills, MGS Remake, etc. fan favorites being rebooted/remade) are wrong or greatly exaggerated.
- Deep Down is still cancelled
- Capcom might tease RE4 Remake which is using a good amount of RE Village assets
- There will be no 10/10 new releases, but rather lots of 7/10 and 8/10. If BOTW2 makes it -> easy Goty, though probably delayed as well.
- Sony and Microsoft are both confused and unsure what to do. Sony still not able to make a good store interface and Microsoft forever lost in chasing the AA games despite having Phil promise otherwise for 6 years straight.
- There will be at least 3 new random Fortnite (or other multiplayer microtransaction games) clones and they will all fail miserably.
- GTA V for the PS5 will be (nearly) full price and outselling many other big videogames in 2021 despite being re-released for the fourth time since 2013 and not having any additional singleplayer content.
- GTA VI will not be shown alongside the next Elders Scrolls which is also a no show in 2021 because GTA V and Skyrim keep selling.

Derktron

Banned
- There will be more delays this year than actual release dates and game announcements
- Switch Pro will be released with a hardware dock that makes gaming on TV more enjoyable. Still way way weaker than PS5/XSX.
- Eternal discussion about framerate, resolution and raytracing taking place in all gaming forums.
- All of the "THIRSTY BOY LEAKS" (Silent Hills, MGS Remake, etc. fan favorites being rebooted/remade) are wrong or greatly exaggerated.
- Deep Down is still cancelled
- Capcom might tease RE4 Remake which is using a good amount of RE Village assets
- There will be no 10/10 new releases, but rather lots of 7/10 and 8/10. If BOTW2 makes it -> easy Goty, though probably delayed as well.
- Sony and Microsoft are both confused and unsure what to do. Sony still not able to make a good store interface and Microsoft forever lost in chasing the AA games despite having Phil promise otherwise for 6 years straight.
- There will be at least 3 new random Fortnite (or other multiplayer microtransaction games) clones and they will all fail miserably.
- GTA V for the PS5 will be (nearly) full price and outselling many other big videogames in 2021 despite being re-released for the fourth time since 2013 and not having any additional singleplayer content.
- GTA VI will not be shown alongside the next Elders Scrolls which is also a no show in 2021 because GTA V and Skyrim keep selling.
Damn this could very well happen. Are you from the future?

Hudo

Games will be released.

Some of those will be quite fun. Others won't be as much fun as originally thought. Some might work at launch. Some won't.

Orta

Banned
Nintendo will continue to outsell the competition

Sega will buy Microsoft

Sony fans will continue to insist Bethesda games will be coming to the PS5

Neil Druckmann will have eight sex changes.

Hideo Kojima will disappear up his own arse and reappear next November before announcing the worlds first VR rectum simulator

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Nintendo will continue to outsell the competition

Sega will buy Microsoft

Sony fans will continue to insist Bethesda games will be coming to the PS5

Neil Druckmann will have eight sex changes.

Hideo Kojima will disappear up his own arse and reappear next November before announcing the worlds first VR rectum simulator
Lol SEGA finally having its revenge on Nintendo.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Nintendo will make a mature game which triggers the nintendo fanbase so hard they boycott nintendo and lead to nintendos demise.

small_law

2021: Gran Turismo 7 is delayed
2022: Gran Turismo 7 is delayed
2023: Gran Turismo 7 is delayed
June 8, 2024: Polyphony announces Gran Turismo 7 will be released November 2, 2024
November 2, 2024: Gran Turismo 7 is delayed until December 2, 2024
December 2, 2024: Gran Turismo 7 is released without cars in it

Top Bottom