• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of cancelled Streets of Rage leaks, developed at Ruffian (Crackdown 2).

Looks generic, but considering that this is a prototype: It could have been worked into something amazing during development if it had proper feedback and wasn't just canceled.

Not a lot I can say about this and to be honest the appearance of this video is a bit of a surprise.

Given it is out there now I've uploaded a version with audio onto my youtube account with a few notes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOIdgP7U44&feature=g-crec

So wait... THE Gary Liddon of Ruffian Games?! Are you telling me there is a chance?!

izC2csiy1aoZr.gif

In that case, Sleeping Dogs combat system! NOW!

Shinta

Banned
You guys are actually right. Sleeping Dogs combat system with special moves from original titles would be perfect. You can make the characters use melee weapons but when they disarm someone using a gun, they should unload and dispose of the gun by using it as a projectile weapon that you can toss.

Shit be perfect, yo!

Hire United Front to do Streets of Rage 4 as a 3D brawler. Sneak in Wei Shen
motherfucker
as a secret character.

Have SEGA internally develop the HD remake of Streets of Rage 2 in Japan. In both cases, hire the best Japanese electronic musicians to do the OSTs.

Profit.

ArjanN

You guys are actually right. Sleeping Dogs combat system with special moves from original titles would be perfect. You can make the characters use melee weapons but when they disarm someone using a gun, they should unload and dispose of the gun by using it as a projectile weapon that you can toss.

Shit be perfect, yo!

Would need more variety and challenge than Sleeping dogs though. The Batman/Assassin's Creed counter system is way overpowered.

jett

D-Member
Gameplay looks kinda poor, especially after experiencing the old school bliss that is Double Dragon Neon.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This doesn't sting nearly as bad as Seven Sons cancellation

Chinner

Banned
this reminds me how brilliant the streets of rage hd fan remake was. looking back, it was brilliant how they combined all 3 games into one essiential game. was really neat how it opened it up with multiple routes (but you could sitll play it classic)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Without the layers of "HEY REMEMBER STREETS OF RAGE?", you wouldnt be able to tell this from any other generic fighting game. Why hello there Fighting Force, I remember you!

The spiritual successor to SOR and the beat em up genre was God Hand really. Quirky enough, progressing through stages whuffing on minions, then some tough ass bosses to beat down. Multiplayer God Hand would be THE SHIT. Anarchy Reigns should have strived for that rather than the deatmatch with mission bolt ons approach.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is Double Dragon Neon good? It looks like shit.

It kind of plays like shit too

The spiritual successor to SOR and the beat em up genre was God Hand really. Quirky enough, progressing through stages whuffing on minions, then some tough ass bosses to beat down. Multiplayer God Hand would be THE SHIT. Anarchy Reigns should have strived for that rather than the deatmatch with mission bolt ons approach.

Have you played God Hand?

It's not really similar to the SoR games at all and its camera would make multiplayer impossible

SeanNoonan

Clearly the game was in an alpha or beta state in that video but that actually looks pretty awesome. If they added the combat system from Sleeping Dogs and completed the game I would have definitely bought it.
What you can see was 6-8 weeks work by a small pitching team.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It kind of plays like shit too

Have you played God Hand?

It's not really similar to the SoR games at all and its camera would make multiplayer impossible

Online co-op multi rather than same room multi which yeah, side scrolling is going to suit more, but be stuck in that "videogame franchises that will never progress beyond their 16-bit days" like Sonic is pretty stuck with.

Godhand perfects the brawler in 3d, sure its massively different, but its BETTER different. You got yer items to chuck around and use, floor apples for health, and a dynamic system of difficulty making mooks more angrier and harder the better you are. Ideal.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Not a lot I can say about this and to be honest the appearance of this video is a bit of a surprise.

Given it is out there now I've uploaded a version with audio onto my youtube account with a few notes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOIdgP7U44&feature=g-crec

It looks alot better with sound

I really like the perspective as well. It's really far out and in a fixed position which sort of emulates the feeling of the side scrollling games in how much of the stage you can see and it auto adjusting with movement. Seven Sons was doing something similar before it was canned for Streetwise and it's free camera that pivoted around the player character.

Shame nothing came out of this. Probably could have been really cool when developed fully.

Godhand perfects the brawler in 3d, sure its massively different, but its BETTER different. You got yer items to chuck around and use, floor apples for health, and a dynamic system of difficulty making mooks more angrier and harder the better you are. Ideal.

I like God Hand as God Hand, but I prefer something a bit simpler for these co-op beat-em-ups.

I think a Streets of Rage should be pick up and play. God Hand's combat was way too methodical for any kind of co-op.(I mean playing most effectively you're trying to lure enemies into one on one confrontations whenever you can, while games like SoR and Final Fight are all about beating up groups of thugs all at once)

Online co-op multi rather than same room multi which yeah, side scrolling is going to suit more, but be stuck in that "videogame franchises that will never progress beyond their 16-bit days" like Sonic is pretty stuck with.

I agree with you here though. I'd rather see developers think of new ways to evolve the games like this rather than just make more sidescrolling ones trying to emulate the old ones

cuz no one makes them like they used to!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
look like trash. and after the horrible horrible job Ruffian did with Crackdown 2-and killed that IP-no wonder this got canned.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
3D... all my TonyKornheiserWHY.jpg's :/

Does Sega stipulate that all these prototypes for a sequel MUST be 3D? Do they not know why Beat-'em-ups should stay 2D? :/

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Not everyone likes grinding for materials/money/exp to upgrade shit in their beat 'em ups

Yep

and it seems like developers can't think of ways to add content and replay value to those types of games without grindy persistent leveling mechanics and progress bars that their games aren't balanced around

So I much prefer them making games like this, than trying 2D and filling it with that crap

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Seeing as its pre-pre alpha, I would have liked to see what Ruffian could do with the Bare Knuckle, Streets of Rage franchise. Heck, from the video, I'd buy it based on nostalgia alone.

SEGA should really reboot Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, etc. properly. Also, that last "reboot" of Altered Beast does NOT count. What a travesty...

Marcel

Thanks Sega, but Streets of Rage Remake is the only SOR sequel we need. Too bad you C&D'd the only good thing about your franchise in like 10+ years.

Tain

Doesn't look good. I mean, sure, two months and all, but it doesn't look to be at all on a path toward what I'd want to play.

I've never really had the craving for an outsourced SoR4, though. Let the series rest. Bare Knuckle III is solid, and Sega continued making a good number of belt scroll games anyway (three Dynamite Cop games, Zombie Revenge, a number of Spikeout games).

Top Bottom