• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of PS Vita Prototype

Posted either today or yesterday here and looks pretty legit, looking like a stepped up PSP go. Got the whole ps vita music background, touch and other vita stuffs. Notable things like swiping the back touch screen to move the home page up and down like in the browser, SD memory card, mini HDMI, USB connector, dual nubs, etc.

Looks like a phone to me and I'd buy it. Sony,make a vita 3000 based on this.

Do lock up if old.

Neifirst

Interesting that they had the analog nubs in roughly the same spots as the Wii U gamepad. Too bad SD cards (or microSD) weren't used for memory.

just sort of highlights how sony was just throwing shit at the wall with the vita. i still cannot believe how badly they dropped the ball with the system

Caayn

12 GB internal memory ? and regular SD card ?
wow

i still feel the read touch pad is stupid idea
Wow indeed, real shame that they canned those features in favor of their own overpriced memory cards. Some internal memory would be nice.

Omikaru

A shame they didn't stick with SD cards. I know so many people put off buying a Vita because the memory cards are overpriced and turn a ~£150 purchase into a £180-£210 purchase.

I also like the sliding PSPgo-esque form factor, but I vaguely remember reading leaks before NGP was revealed that this form factor was having heat issues, no?

L.O.R.D

looking to my video history found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb5fH0NhKMY

its been leaked before
there was about 84 prototype for the vita , and they destroyed most of them after the final device

PS Vita Prototype DEM-3000H or DEM-3000XXX (First DevKit)

This particular device is the 84th iteration of the hundred Vita iterations (Prototypes) built during the system development. All the Prototypes got destroyed immediately after the final design was picked by the management. Also, as a devkit supports SD Cards instead of the known PS Vita Game cards, has a built in Mini-B USB port and a HDMI port with 720p output.
Luckily it survived and now we know that this piece of hardware exists and how it looks like!

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/ps-vita-prototype-dem-3000h84.47699/

and someone sold it on craigslist for $700

Massa

Such a shame we didn't end up with something like that, the PSP go design is the best Sony's ever done.

Miracle

Not a great design but they had the slide out function which IMO is more functional than the rear touch pad. As well as having internal memory and used regular SD cards!

I wonder how different Vita sales would be today if they kept internal memory and regular SD card slots?

QaaQer

It's always interesting to see prototypes. I wonder when the division started to realize this class of device was becoming obsolete.

They should have put R2 and L2 on instead of the useless (near useless) rear touch pad. Remote Play would be absolutely fantastic if 90% of third-person shooters didn't assign the shoot function to a non-responsive touch panel.

Pretty cool. I do like the PSP Go design since it would make the Vita more portable and smaller, but the actual release console is without a doubt much sleeker and sexy lol

Miracle

They should have put R2 and L2 on instead of the useless (near useless) rear touch pad. Remote Play would be absolutely fantastic if 90% of third-person shooters didn't assign the shoot function to a non-responsive touch panel.

Very much indeed. Been playing some FFXIV and all I can think about is how much more fun this game would be if I were able to Remote Play it on my Vita.

Sadly, like those third person shooters you mentioned, FFXIV heavily relies on you holding those L2 and/or R2 buttons in combat.

I love the Vita and they did so many things right with it (and how great it does look and feel as well), yet it also has a few big mishaps with the design that likely had to do with the Vita's current lack in sales numbers.

For all the people complaining about it using SD cards: It's a prototype. They likely just used SD to make it easier to test with and build.

I prefer the current Vita 2000

But hot dayum SD cards....

They done fucked up. Really hurt the system right out of the gate

For all the people complaining about it using SD cards: It's a prototype. They likely just used SD to make it easier to test with and build.
Whilst probably easily bypassable for the skilled hackers, I'd imagine that using standard SD cards that everyone can read and write and pick up for peanuts would be a bad decision for piracy.

Additionally it could be their full intention from the beginning to go proprietary, but prototypes use SD because they're not yet finalised the proprietary standard.

So I wouldn't go along with 'why didn't they stick with SD'.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
PSP had a tv out hence Vita should have had a tv out(imo it should have been a sort of hybrid like pstv + that gamepad and screen attachment i don't remember the name) but no. Damn you sony.

Button placement looks uncomfortable, kinda narrow. Great find though. Seems to follow in the Sony tradition of "stick a fuckton of ports on the thing"

Circinus

Neat, but the final PS Vita 2000 they made is much better in terms of design imho. Best handheld that I've ever used.

just sort of highlights how sony was just throwing shit at the wall with the vita. i still cannot believe how badly they dropped the ball with the system

Err to each their own I guess.

To me they dropped the ball badly with PS4, but they knocked it out of the park with PS Vita.

Edit: though I'll certainly give them props for Project Morpheus on PS4. But outside of that, PS4 is so unremarkable.

PSP had a tv out hence Vita should have had a tv out(imo it should have been a sort of hybrid like pstv + that gamepad and screen attachment i don't remember the name) but no. Damn you sony.

Would have been a neat extra, but I don't think it would have been a popular feature.

The Vita is still the greatest handheld to ever exist, but SD cards, HDMI out and L2/R2 buttons would have made it utter perfection.

Such a shame they had all those things in the prototype and went the greedy and needlessly innovative route instead.

I still have a vague hope for an eventual Vita 3000 with HDMI out and/or Micro SD mind. Would be good as a final swan song to squeeze a last bit of profit out of the market, before waving goodbye to handhelds forever.

Luke_Wal

Mystery port is finally explained.

I thought it was known that mystery port was supposed to be some sort of video out?

Also, I like this Vita way more than the one I have, or at least it looks like I would. The PSPGo form factor always made more sense to me than the way the Vita does it.

Circinus

The consumer base strongly, vehemently disagree with you.

Okay? Not sure what you're trying to say. Am I somehow "wrong" for preferring a device that is less popular than the other, just because it is less popular? It's neat that we all have our preferences. I don't care if my opinion is part of the popular ones or not, all I care primarily about is that I get satisfied as a consumer personally when having purchased something..

And by the way drawing a conclusion like that would require a bit more research than just looking at sales figures.

I'm not saying that you might not be right (which wouldn't surprise me that much if it would be true). I'm just saying that it could be a bit of a pre-emptive conclusion.

You can't be be certain that everyone who has a PS4 and has had a hands-on consumer experience with it is also aware of the PS Vita's experience and has had a hands-on consumer experience for it as well. PS4's marketing may simply have reached a wider audience with a strong campaign that just happened to made it appear more desireable.

I mean, would it be fair to say the consumer base says that Shark Tale is a better film than Treasure Planet, just because because the former grossed more than 3 times what Treausre Planet grossed? I wouldn't say so. You'd have to do a poll of a large sample of consumers who have seen both before drawing such a conclusion.

SD Card Slot? HDMI Output?

They had a fantastic console prototype right here and instead of opted for doom.

That's not how it works [I assume you're talking about commercially 'doomed']. Market dynamics are very complex and consist of many, many factors. It is very doubtful that a relative detail [and don't get me wrong, it is quite inconvenient, an existing widely-supported format would obviously have been way preferable for me as a consumer] would have a signficant impact when the handheld market [certainly for a handheld that isn't catering that much to family-friendly appeal] was already very small.

Bowler

I still would buy a ps vita 3000 that had a slide out like that, phone lte capabilities, and dual boot android lolly pop version and vita OS.

Why were at it. 1080p screen, and good camera in the rear.

The Cowboy

Interesting, i really wish they'd followed on with the PSP Go style design (minus that bottom section on this prototype of course). I love the Go design as its so compact and pocket friendly, the Vita while great is just to dam big - also SD cards!!! (biggest misstep right there).

Also, anyone else hate watching people drag things like this across a counter screen down, don't do that people :(.

That's not how it works.

Actually, it is. No sense in defending Sony for the sake of it.

Compare the PSP to the Vita. The PSP was a massive success - and the fact that it had the ability to use TV out with a $15 cable, had a less obscure proprietary storage format (shared with things such as cameras) that free fell in price after a few years, and all the first party and third party titles... It goes to show that yeah, it does, historically, work better than the Vita's method.

Not to mention Nintendo's platforms since the DSi having proper SD support.

Also, the first dude - he wasn't saying you were "wrong" because the PS Vita has less sales. He's referring to the fact that the PS4 has had everything going for it: great support from the west and east, great first party support, priced well, etc.

The Vita was priced a tad high at launch, the memory cards are stupid fucking expensive, and support from everyone except indies and 3rd party Japanese games aiming mainly for the otaku audience have died off.

No one is saying the Vita is a "bad system". What they're saying is that the average consumer can think of a laundry list of things wrong with the Vita (if they know about it), but would struggle to do even close to the same for the PS4.

Socordia

Banned
The Vita is still the greatest handheld to ever exist, but SD cards, HDMI out and L2/R2 buttons would have made it utter perfection.

Such a shame they had all those things in the prototype and went the greedy and needlessly innovative route instead.

I still have a vague hope for an eventual Vita 3000 with HDMI out and/or Micro SD mind. Would be good as a final swan song to squeeze a last bit of profit out of the market, before waving goodbye to handhelds forever.

You and your obsession with final swan songs for failed products.

Circinus

Actually, it is. No sense in defending Sony for the sake of it.

That isn't what I'm doing.

Market dynamics are very complex and consist of many, many factors. It is very doubtful that a relative detail [and don't get me wrong, the proprietary memory cards are quite inconvenient to me, an existing widely-supported format would obviously have been way preferable for me as a consumer] would have a signficant impact when the handheld market [for a handheld that isn't catering that much to family-friendly appeal] was already very small by the time the PS Vita launched to begin with.

It may actually even have been beneficial from a business point of view of SCE if the extra revenue and profit from the proprietary memory card offset (with surplus) the potentially lost revenue/profit the extra sold PS Vita systems to consumers who didn't purchase PS Vita system just because of the proprietary memory card format, would have generated.

Compare the PSP to the Vita. The PSP was a massive success - and the fact that it had the ability to use TV out with a $15 cable, had a less obscure proprietary storage format (shared with things such as cameras) that free fell in price after a few years, and all the first party and third party titles... It goes to show that yeah, it does, historically, work better than the Vita's method.

Not to mention Nintendo's platforms since the DSi having proper SD support.

Different timeframe, different market conditions, different results

Also, the first dude - he wasn't saying you were "wrong" because the PS Vita has less sales. He's referring to the fact that the PS4 has had everything going for it: great support from the west and east, great first party support, priced well, etc.

The Vita was priced a tad high at launch, the memory cards are stupid fucking expensive, and support from everyone except indies and 3rd party Japanese games aiming mainly for the otaku audience have died off.

Some of those are subjective factors.

I can say for me, that the PS Vita for €250 is better value than a PS4 for €400. (or even a PS Vita for €300 vs. a PS4 for €300; I'd still consider the PS Vita to be a better value proposition)

No one is saying the Vita is a "bad system". What they're saying is that the average consumer can think of a laundry list of things wrong with the Vita (if they know about it), but would struggle to do even close to the same for the PS4.

I seriously doubt that. I haven't done any kind of research in that regard so I may very well be wrong, but I think that it is more likely that they'd say things like "I already have a phone in my pocket that plays games", "I'm not interested in playing on a tiny screen", "My kids/ younger nephews/ younger brothers/sisters play on 3DS and mobile phones already, but I'm not interested"

It would be related to the device from a conceptual point of view not appealing to a large audience (and thus likely to not appeal to the average consumer), rather than issues with the quality of the device.

I mean, it might sound far-fetched at a glance, but I think the it would be a bit the equivalent of asking what an average consumer thinks of a prosumer-level camera/camcorder.

Durante

I seriously doubt that. I haven't done any kind of research in that regard so I may very well be wrong, but I think that it is more likely that they'd say things like "I already have a phone in my pocket that plays games", "I'm not interested in playing on a tiny screen", "My kids/ younger nephews/ younger brothers/sisters play on 3DS and mobile phones already, but I'm not interested"

It would be related to the device from a conceptual point of view not appealing to a large audience (and thus likely to not appeal to the average consumer), rather than issues with the quality of the device.

I mean, it might sound far-fetched at a glance, but I think the it would be a bit the equivalent of asking what an average consumer thinks of a prosumer-level camera/camcorder.
I really think that comparison is spot on.

Did any of you guys own an Xperia Play? Because the PSP Go design is doomed to fail, the constant opening and closing of the controls will damage the flex cable connecting it to the screen, its also way more complicated to repair. The retail design is great but the omission of SD cards and HDMI out was a terrible decision. Literally the only thing I want the Vita-3000 to have is those two features, everything else stays the same like the Vita-2000, perfection. I'm still holding out hope for TGS :(

Can you imagine how many more units it would have sold with SD Card support, mini HDMI out, and matching buttons to the Dual Shock?

It really could have had a chance.

Sounds like their prototype was perfect (minus the design). All I really would've wanted is SD cards being memory cards. Needing an expensive memory card probably didn't do the Vita any favours.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I remember a rumor that they didn't use a slide out design because the prototype had overheating problems

Back touch had the potential to be good but it wasn't fast or accurate enough. It has quite a bit of input lag (not sure how much is due to hardware vs software which corrects for accidental touches). Shooters would have been more fun if back touch could have been used like a proper trackpad. The steam controller shows that the concept is good. Sadly Sony has a history if failing in execution.

Top Bottom