• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

HYDE

Banned
I thought this might blow some minds (because it blew mine, and I never knew this)

The notch on the top of original Game Boy cartridges where is looks like a part is cut out, is there because when you switch your power on, the switch enters that part and locks the cartridge in. Later models like the pocket, color, advance did not have that feature.

RoadDogg

I thought this might blow some minds (because it blew mine, and I never knew this)

The notch on the top of original Game Boy cartridges where is looks like a part is cut out, is there because when you switch your power on, the switch enters that part and locks the cartridge in. Later models like the pocket, color, advance did not have that feature.

I guess if you never owned the original Game Boy that could be mind blowing. I can't think of any other systems that locked your game in place so you didn't accidentally take it out with the power on. Here is a picture for those who never saw an original Game Boy.

9NcDX.jpg

ElFly

SNES games also had a notch so you couldn't eject your game when it was powered up.

But people still tried to do it and wrecked their systems, so after a while, SNES carts were shaped such as to leave the cart eject when powered.

Gxxvz.jpg
FkfgN.jpg

mclem

I guess if you never owned the original Game Boy that could be mind blowing. I can't think of any other systems that locked your game in place so you didn't accidentally take it out with the power on. Here is a picture for those who never saw an original Game Boy.

The SNES did, at least the EU model (and thus I assume the Super Famicom). Can't speak for the US one.

Edit: Ah, the guy above me can cover the American side of things, then!

OK, I had a question about the Pokemon games. Something I heard a few times. If true, it's probably mindblowing to some people, but I ask because I'm not sure if it is. It was something like this:

If you capture a pokemon and train it a lot, it builds a bond with you. I heard that if you release a pokemon into the wild that had a really strong bond with you, it may reappear in the wild, like it was seeking you out because it misses you.

Is this an actual thing or a lie from my childhood?
Bulbapedia said:
In every main series Pokémon game, players have been able to release previously captured Pokémon. Unlike the anime, this cannot be done while traveling, but must be done with the Pokémon Storage System in a Pokémon Center. A condition coded into the game exists that disallows the release of Pokémon knowing certain HM moves, such as Surf. This will prevent the player being trapped in an area like Mossdeep City. A Pokémon might also refuse to be released if it has a very high happiness level or if it is the only Pokémon in the player's party.

Released Pokémon cannot be found again in the wild.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Release

Doing the truck thing in RBY's remakes, FireRed and LeafGreen, would actually give you a cookie as a reward for trying it. It was a simple item from Ruby and Sapphire that restored like 30 HP or something, but it's still amusing that they acknowledged it.

Hah, nice Easter egg.

RoadDogg

SNES games also had a notch so you couldn't eject your game when it was powered up.

But people still tried to do it and wrecked their systems, so after a while, SNES carts were shaped such as to leave the cart eject when powered.

That is very interesting, I never realized it. I always though the SNES eject lever/button was pretty useless since the games would just pull out. I guess I always used the eject button when I first got the system and started yanking them when they already made the switch.

Link1110

9NcDX.jpg

This blew my mind for a different reason. The brick gb from that angle looks like the top of a Japanese super Famicom cart

Peagles

9NcDX.jpg

It also acted as a physical lockout for later GBC only games, as you can't physically turn the power on because there is no notch in the clear GBC carts to allow for the power switch to go there.

Except for Perfect Dark on GBC... For some reason unknown to me, it had a notch in it (maybe they overlooked it because it was a special rumble cart). However, if you put it into an original Gameboy, it just came up with an error message about being playable only on Gameboy Colour when you turned it on.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's actually a reference to the truck in one of Colloseum's trainer pre-battle dialogues...one of the Street Performer characters says a rhyme that goes like "There's nothing under the truck, it's probably just a Muk".

Okay this might not be blowing anyones mind but mine but Kurt Davis who works at Harmonix (whose bands THE KONKS song is on the tutorial of Rock Band) played in such Indiana punk bands as Repellents, Primates and Pee Wee Manslaughter and he also drew this iconic cover of Zero Boys - Vicious Circle LP under the name Yukki Gipe!

ZeroBoys_ViciousCircle_1.jpg

wow.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Japanese Mega Drive also had a cartridge lock. You can see a little notch in the left side of the cart. When the power switch was on, a lever pushed into that notch, locking the cart in place. I *think* a locking lever was on the Mega Drive II as well.

carts.jpg

On the PAL Euro/Oceania version and US Genesis, they didn't bother with locking cartridges. There is kind of the "vestigial remains" of where the lever attached in each Genesis/Mega Drive, though!

It also acted as a physical lockout for later GBC only games, as you can't physically turn the power on because there is no notch in the clear GBC carts to allow for the power switch to go there.

Except for Perfect Dark on GBC... For some reason unknown to me, it had a notch in it (maybe they overlooked it because it was a special rumble cart). However, if you put it into an original Gameboy, it just came up with an error message about being playable only on Gameboy Colour when you turned it on.
All GBC only games had to have the error message. Reason: Game Boy pocket is the same shell as the GBC so the notch is useless there and also Super Game Boy is similar. I guess that means Star Wars Episode I: Racer (a fellow rumble cart) is another game you can access it on an original brick GB.

This brings me onto something.

Star Ocean Blue Sphere had content only accessible on a Black and White Game Boy. Video here. Its one room but neat anyway.

Also Conker's Pocket Tales showed differences beyond usual:
http://www.therwp.com/wiki/Conker's_Pocket_Tales said:
This is one of the first games that can be used on Both Game Boy and Game Boy Color, But, The game has different scenery and scenarios on the Game Boy, so, it's considered two games in one.
I almost want to track down a copy to see for myself to see how different...

Since we're going there. Theres a stupid shop in Zelda Oracles games which the door is only open to when played on a GBA.

Peagles

All GBC only games had to have the error message. Reason: Game Boy pocket is the same shell as the GBC so the notch is useless there and also Super Game Boy is similar. I guess that means Star Wars Episode I: Racer (a fellow rumble cart) is another game you can access it on an original brick GB.

Yeh they all have the error message (as far as I know), but only a couple can actually be inserted into the original GB as you know. I've never owned a Pocket so could never try GBC games in there myself though, so the only time I personally got to see the error message was with PD and my OG GB :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have Conker's Pocket Tails, may look into that.

I also remember Wario Land 2 forced you to erase our save if you tried to switch between GB and GBC.

RoadDogg

Do you know where I can learn more about the conker thing? That is one of the most interesting thing I've read in this thread for awhile. The star ocean thing is really cool but seems like such a random thing to do. Too bad gold/silver didn't do this kind of thing the thread would have imploded.

Roto13

That X-Men 2 art is mindblowing for being so awesome.

I remember this. Does anyone know why this was the way it was? I always thought it a bit strange.

The colour and black-and-white versions of Game Boy/Game Boy Color games are actually two separate games on the same cartridge. I guess in this case, the colour saves aren't compatible with the black and white version of the game and vice versa.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It's probably SUPER OBVIOUS to you, but what am I looking at here?

I think he's saying it looks like a pair of boobies.

Also, can the SHOCKING SECRET in the title be changed now? This thread has been going for so damn long that it's not even remotely shocking anymore.

Rapstah

Pokémon Crystal had a special Unown frame for when you tried to play it in a Pocket. When the game bugged on me later in an emulator it turned out it's actually coloured which makes no sense for obvious reasons:

Pokemon_Crystal_SGB.png

The orange palette is unused otherwise. Never mind the fact that it has a working Super Game Boy border that says "Pokémon Gold".

Watch Da Birdie

The legal version of this story is that Miyamoto wanted to use a word that meant "Stubborn," so he looked it up and it somehow lead him to the word Donkey.

I always found that funny, since, in theory, we could've ended up with Jackass Kong.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I usually don't dislike the music trivia, but I don't hear it...

I do believe, though, related to Donkey Kong 3 that the Bonus Theme purposefully references the James Bond theme opening (you know, the DADADADAAA!) since Rare was developing Goldeneye at the time. Forgot where I heard this, but given it's Rare, I could believe it.

Myriadis

I do believe, though, related to Donkey Kong 3 that the Bonus Theme purposefully references the James Bond theme opening (you know, the DADADADAAA!) since Rare was developing Goldeneye at the time. Forgot where I heard this, but given it's Rare, I could believe it.

Speaking of Goldeneye, a functioning ZX Spectrum 48x Emulator was just found in this game. It can't be accessed through normal gameplay, of course, but with a patch it is indeed possible to run it.

Watch Da Birdie

Another Donkey Kong thing...if you count Animal Antics as a jungle level, since it begins and ends in one, then every "level type" is used exactly three times in Donkey Kong Country 2.

Ship Deck:
Pirate Panic
Gangplank Galley
Rattle Battle

Ship Masts:
Mainbrace Mayhem
Topsail Trouble
Slime Clime

Ship Brig:
Lockjaw's Locker
Lava Lagoon
Glimmer's Galleon

Volcano:
Hot-Head Hop
Red Hot Ride
Fiery Furnace

Mine Shaft:
Kannon's Klaim
Squawks Shaft
Windy Well

Swamp:
Barrel Bayou
Krochead Klamber
Mudhole Marsh

Brambles:
Bramble Blast
Bramble Scramble
Screech's Spring

Beehive:
Hornet Hole
Rambi Rumble
Parrot-chute Panic

Kart Level:
Target Terror
Rickety Race
Haunted Hall

Woods:
Ghostly Grove
Gusty Glade
Web Woods

Ice:
Artic Abyss
Clapper's Cavern
Black Ice Battle

Castle:
Castle Crush
Chain Link Chamber
Toxic Tower

Jungle:
Jungle Jinx
Klobber Karnage
Animal Antics

This brings me onto something.

Star Ocean Blue Sphere had content only accessible on a Black and White Game Boy. Video here. Its one room but neat anyway.

Also Conker's Pocket Tales showed differences beyond usual:

I almost want to track down a copy to see for myself to see how different...

Since we're going there. Theres a stupid shop in Zelda Oracles games which the door is only open to when played on a GBA.

GBC has a slightly different shell than a pocket actually.

RoadDogg

Speaking of Goldeneye, a functioning ZX Spectrum 48x Emulator was just found in this game. It can't be accessed through normal gameplay, of course, but with a patch it is indeed possible to run it.

Wow, this is mind blowing to me. I remember back in the day when the button codes were discovered and thought that was the most mind blowing thing ever, but the fact that there was even more stuff left in the game (especially something this big) is amazing. It almost makes me think there is still a chance for someone to re-enabled perfect dark's face capture mode.

Okay this might not be blowing anyones mind but mine but Kurt Davis who works at Harmonix (whose bands THE KONKS song is on the tutorial of Rock Band) played in such Indiana punk bands as Repellents, Primates and Pee Wee Manslaughter and he also drew this iconic cover of Zero Boys - Vicious Circle LP under the name Yukki Gipe!

ZeroBoys_ViciousCircle_1.jpg

wow.
What really blows my mind is that someone mentioned this album in a NeoGAF thread. It's kind of obscure. So effing good though. "Trying Harder" is probably my favorite anthem-type punk song ever.

Top Bottom