• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

womp

I just discovered that holding L & R while pressing Y changes Gameboy games on the 3DS VC into pea soup blurry palette mode.

My mind was blown that it took me this long to find this. :p

sn00zer

Oil Man:

Oil Man redesign by Archie comics (which are really good)

ouvJepO.jpg
Hahaha they just covered the racist part of the image...bingo...redesign

If racism there was, it would rather be in the fact that Aghanim look like the cliché of the villain arabic sorcerer.

Everything about the Gerudos is an arabic cliche. The original emblem was a crescent moon and star.

Probably fair to say that Aghanim is a Gerudo, it's just the precursor to Ganondorf.

OoT is just a retelling of LttP. Even the world map is pretty much the same:

sK9Igck.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Or it's a prequel as confirmed by numerous sources.
Such as THE TITLE.

I know the title is different in Japan, but still, the memo we westerners got back in 1992 was that it was obviously a prequel.

Thematically though... Sure it's a remake. But most of the Zeldas kinda are of one another :p

mclem

Everything about the Gerudos is an arabic cliche. The original emblem was a crescent moon and star.

Probably fair to say that Aghanim is a Gerudo, it's just the precursor to Ganondorf.

OoT is just a retelling of LttP. Even the world map is pretty much the same:

sK9Igck.jpg

Pay no attention to the Lost Woods behind the curtain.

Edit: Although, thinking about it, the eastern palace area is a forest in the dark world in LTTP, isn't it?

FyreWulff

The Lost Woods don't even make sense in the game. They somehow have a direct link to both Death Mountain and Zora's Domain.

If the explanation is that they wrap around under the clouds and are directly connected to death mountain, then you can continue to wrap them around to under the clouds west of Hyrule Market Town.

Mael

The Lost Woods don't even make sense in the game. They somehow have a direct link to both Death Mountain and Zora's Domain.

If the explanation is that they wrap around under the clouds and are directly connected to death mountain, then you can continue to wrap them around to under the clouds west of Hyrule Market Town.

Well they ARE the Lost Woods after all!

BocoDragon

Yeah wasn't the first Lost Woods in NES Zelda the part where you could just walk endlessly in one direction, and only the right selection of doorways would lead anywhere? It's videogaming's quintessential navigational nonsense location.

FyreWulff

Yeah wasn't the first Lost Woods in NES Zelda the part where you could just walk endlessly in one direction, and only the right selection of doorways would lead anywhere? It's videogaming's quintessential navigational nonsense location.

I like to think of them as this trans-dimensional space where only the Kokori are allowed to enter the Kokori village. Every else gets redirected into a loop.

Mael

I like to think of them as this trans-dimensional space where only the Kokori are allowed to enter the Kokori village. Every else gets redirected into a loop.

I took it as everone gets lost (or worse) but the Kokiris since they're the guardians of the forest.
It's pretty usual theme I think (dangerous forest don't gothere you don't know what lurks in the shadows)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Lost Woods in a Link to the Past weren't really that hard to get lost in. THe only thing lost there were numerous fake Master Swords lying around.

mclem

North, west, south, west? I think? It's been a very long time.

This.
SuperAngelo64, you should totally read Hyrule Historia.

Oh, I know it falls into the timeline, and I'd definitely like to get my hands on Hyrule Historia.

I just mean from a gameplay perspective it's pretty similar.

Collect 3 things, get master sword, collect 7 things in a post-apocalypse, unseal the final castle.
Ganon in human form tricks the king and gains loyalty to Hyrule, fucks them over and creates the dark world.

Zapages

There was a 2D Prince of Persia 3 in the works before it was canceled for Prince of Persia 3D. It supposedly followed Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame's story.

Con_Smith

Banned

I always found it weird that there were shortcuts to the zoras and goron areas not because it made sense from a gamplay perspective, it just seemed weird those races were trying to get there in the first place. If everyone knew getting lost there would fuck you up why were there shortcuts? As a kid I would wonder what would happen to those races if they did get lost and what they would become.

BocoDragon

In the cartridge era of games, Atari, Nintendo, and Sega all went from cartridges that had top/end labels:

Top labels are basically something that only Americans did (aside from the Japanese Sega Mega Drive) and the increasing lack of top labels speaks to the Japanese game industry standardizing cart design worldwide.

No Japanese Nintendo consoles ever had top labels, for example. Famicom didn't (third party manufactured carts aside). Super Famicom didn't. It was something added to the American NES and American SNES by a specific designer named Lance Barr. N64 lacked them because it was kept consistent with the Japanese original. (And PAL SNES carts lacked them because it was kept consistent with the Japanese original).

Top labels are basically something that only Americans did (aside from the Japanese Sega Mega Drive) and the increasing lack of top labels speaks to the Japanese game industry standardizing cart design worldwide.

No Japanese Nintendo consoles ever had top labels, for example. Famicom didn't (third party manufactured carts aside). Super Famicom didn't. It was something added to the American NES and American SNES by a specific designer named Lance Barr. N64 lacked them because it was kept consistent with the Japanese original. (And PAL SNES carts lacked them because it was kept consistent with the Japanese original).

Well, that's more "mind-blowing" than my post. Lance Barr deserves a medal. With a label on it.

Dunan

I hate you for posting that. I went all the way to the end of the left side.

You need to go to the right, over the cliff and past where they're looking for a yellow warbler, and then
the secret of just how deep Super Mario Bros. 1 really is
will be revealed.
I do hope that poor Mario blacks out after falling even one-hundredth that distance!

This has been the bane of my Super Famicom and Famicom collections that I started when I moved here to Japan. At least Famicom carts aren't standardized, so they can be fairly easy to tell apart. I hate seeing my shelf of 70 bagged Super Famicom games (I only have boxes to 10 or 12 of them) and not knowing which game is which.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This has been the bane of my Super Famicom and Famicom collections that I started when I moved here to Japan. At least Famicom carts aren't standardized, so they can be fairly easy to tell apart. I hate seeing my shelf of 70 bagged Super Famicom games (I only have boxes to 10 or 12 of them) and not knowing which game is which.
In the UK it also lead to some second hand store scribbling the name of the game on the top of the cartridge. WHY DID YOU DRAW ON THE PRODUCT I WANT TO PURCHASE? Have they never heard of stickers of sellotape?

I've been meaning to come up with a system to store my SNES games which is minimal but makes it easy to work out which game is which without resorting to sticking labels on them.

Übermatik;48099547 said:
I don't get it :(

The large panel on the page can be clicked and dragged.
If you follow the ground to the right long enough, you'll come to a part that looks like the first stage of Super Mario Bros. Then you can pan down and see how deep those pits are.

Im_Special

Here's one I just found out about on a rather hidden gem of a game Secret of Evermore, which I find neat and wish more dev's did this kind of hidden stuff.

So that strange skeleton in that rowboat guy, who can bring you across the desert instantly instead of arduously having to go by foot, will outright reject taking you if you've named your main character something profane, even if you got the item he wants.

QpurZVd.jpg

I was playing the DS game Feel the Magic one day, and my (Chinese) friend "imitated" the ridiculous Rub Rabbits by yelling "Love it!". I corrected her, and she in turn tried to correct me, explaining how, in Japanese, the English word "Love" would be pronounced "Rub" because of the transliteration (no "L", no "V"). Of course, I stopped her, saying I knew that, but the game says they are the Rub Rabbits and yell "Rub it!", not "Love it!"

But of course, she's actually right: "Rub Rabbits" is most likely a weird Engrish pun, because "Love" and "Rub" would be pronounced identically. And also of course, the Rub Rabbits help young men find love (and rubbing).

Here's one I just found out about on a rather hidden gem of a game Secret of Evermore, which I find neat and wish more dev's did this kind of hidden stuff.

So that strange skeleton in that rowboat guy, who can bring you across the desert instantly instead of arduously having to go by foot, will outright reject taking you if you've named your main character something profane, even if you got the item he wants.

QpurZVd.jpg

Cool. What was your character's profane name?

jaxword

QpurZVd.jpg

Awesome find, got a SS of the rejection dialogue?

Mike M

Nick N
When first MK came out there was a rumor that there was a swear code on the Genesis just like the blood code.
Shit, I miss the rumors from the days before the Internet. I knew guys who swore MK had "nudealities" that he had personally witnessed.

Riiiiiight.

jaxword

Is it weird i find this more tasteless than just straight up ripping out a dudes spine or something?

The fact that you're asking suggests that yeah, on some level, you do think it's a little weird that violence and murder aren't as bad as swearing.

Javier

Mortal Kombat rumors back in the SNES/Genesis days were amazing. Some even made it in future games, I think. Didn't Ermac start as a rumor?

Mike M

Nick N
Mortal Kombat rumors back in the SNES/Genesis days were amazing. Some even made it in future games, I think. Didn't Ermac start as a rumor?

Kinda? I think "ERMAC ENCOUNTERS" was one of a bunchg of statistics that popped up when the arcade machine was booted up, standing for "error macros" or something. Then that spawned into the myth that he was a red ninja, which eventually got integrated into the game.

Top Bottom