• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jan 29, 2008
5,977
10
1,125
Pittsburgh, PA
reddit.com
Proof: (First Google image result for Mario 3 Title Screen)



How did it take me almost 20 years to see this?

~Dac
 

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Oct 24, 2007
1,950
0
0
Dacvak said:
This one might be more obvious to some, but the 3 in the Super Mario Bros. 3 title screen has Tanooki Suit Mario as the shadow.



~Dac

Holy shit.
 

Stormbringer

Member
Feb 28, 2006
3,571
0
1,025
SpacePirate Ridley said:
-The Zelda music was inspired by the theme April from Deep Purple, Koji Kond is a fan of Deep Purple.
Wow...I LOVE this song, and this never even crossed my mind... Oh, well, you can pretty much count me on the "This thread blew my mind repeatedly" train.
 

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Jun 10, 2004
9,920
0
1,535
alistairw said:
How the fuck did you guys not notice that?
Seriously, the cloud/bush crap is one thing, but hooooollly shit. And I mean hoooooollly shit.
 

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jan 29, 2008
5,977
10
1,125
Pittsburgh, PA
reddit.com
It seems to me like a good 70% of people haven't seen this somehow, and the 30% who have simply can't believe everyone else hasn't seen this.

I mean, try looking at the title screen WITHOUT seeing it now. Jesus Christ. I feel like I've been living a lie my whole life.

~Dac
 

jman2050

Member
May 18, 2005
31,847
0
0
TheSonicRetard said:
Miles "Tails" Prower

Miles Prower

Miles per hour
I'm still surprised by the number of people who didn't realize that.

TheSonicRetard said:
This thread is about to become TSR's "holy fucking shit @ Sonic" thread: part 2...
Not unless I get there first!!!
 
Jun 3, 2008
1,795
0
0
jman2050 said:
I'm still surprised by the number of people who didn't realize that.



Not unless I get there first!!!
Probably because most people don't know his real name is Miles Prower.

and I already have a thread full of posts from 2 years ago that I can pull from.
 

Red Scarlet

Member
Jan 29, 2005
23,348
3
0
I remember reading an EGM that previewed the game and called him that and I think pointed out the Miles Per Hour thing, so I always knew. I've never even played the game!

Does that count?
 
Jun 3, 2008
1,795
0
0
Most people think that, when you play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles' stories are happening at the same time.

But they're not. Knuckles' story takes place AFTER Sonic's story is completely finished. There are several clues that point this out:

*You never see Sonic, nor Robotnik when playing as Knuckles (Flying battery zone glitch and ending notwithstanding)
*The Death Egg isn't at Launch Base Zone
*The Death Egg isn't at Lava Reef Zone
*The ghosts have already been released in Sandopolis Zone
*Angel Island is floating during Knuckles' story, as evident by the final boss battle with Mecha Sonic. If it was taking place at the same time as Sonic's story, it would be in the ocean.

Incidentally - Sonic 1 takes place over the span of 1 day:
Green Hill Zone - morning
Marble Zone - daytime
Spring yard zone - evening
Labyrinth Zone - Inside, so no look at the sky
Star Light Zone - night
Scrap brain zone - dawn

Sonic & Knuckles takes place over the course of 3 days, 6 if you count Knuckles story.
 

jman2050

Member
May 18, 2005
31,847
0
0
As an interesting bit of trivia, Sonic was originally designed as a rabbit that grabbed and threw things with its long ears. Too bad they thought it slowed down the game too much and ditched that concept in the en--



Wait...

*Angel Island is floating during Knuckles' story, as evident by the final boss battle with Mecha Sonic. If it was taking place at the same time as Sonic's story, it would be in the ocean.
In addition to that, the background of Angel Island Zone while playing as Sonic or Tails has a nice view of the ocean horizon (most visible in the cutscene where AIZ is set on fire). A horizon that is conveniently missing when playing as Knuckles.
 

pakkit

Banned
Feb 19, 2008
10,913
0
0
Richmond, VA
Guybrush Threepwood said:
How?

AFAIK it's impossible to skip the part in the intro where it says "Sonic and Miles "Tails" Prower in..."
It doesn't really work with "Tails" in the middle of it...

I seriously didn't notice that. I feel dumb.
 
Jun 3, 2008
1,795
0
0
jman2050 said:
As an interesting bit of trivia, Sonic was originally designed as a rabbit that grabbed and threw things with its long ears. Too bad they thought it slowed down the game too much and ditched that concept in the en--



Wait...
Similarly, before Ristar was "the shooting star" he was an alien named FEEL.
 
Aug 5, 2007
7,010
0
0
TheSonicRetard said:
Most people think that, when you play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles' stories are happening at the same time.

But they're not. Knuckles' story takes place AFTER Sonic's story is completely finished. There are several clues that point this out:

*You never see Sonic, nor Robotnik when playing as Knuckles (Flying battery zone glitch and ending notwithstanding)
*The Death Egg isn't at Launch Base Zone
*The Death Egg isn't at Lava Reef Zone
*The ghosts have already been released in Sandopolis Zone
*Angel Island is floating during Knuckles' story, as evident by the final boss battle with Mecha Sonic. If it was taking place at the same time as Sonic's story, it would be in the ocean.

Incidentally - Sonic 1 takes place over the span of 1 day:
Green Hill Zone - morning
Marble Zone - daytime
Spring yard zone - evening
Labyrinth Zone - Inside, so no look at the sky
Star Light Zone - night
Scrap brain zone - dawn

Sonic & Knuckles takes place over the course of 3 days, 6 if you count Knuckles story.
That's cool. I also like this:



The trees in the background are the Mushroom Hill Zone. The mountain things are the Sandopolis Zone. You get there using the ship that is the Flying Battery Zone which probably came from the Launch Base Zone.
 

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Nov 19, 2005
16,993
1
0
Northeast Ohio
www.dudebro2.com
TheSonicRetard said:
Most people think that, when you play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles' stories are happening at the same time.

But they're not. Knuckles' story takes place AFTER Sonic's story is completely finished. There are several clues that point this out:

*You never see Sonic, nor Robotnik when playing as Knuckles (Flying battery zone glitch and ending notwithstanding)
*The Death Egg isn't at Launch Base Zone
*The Death Egg isn't at Lava Reef Zone
*The ghosts have already been released in Sandopolis Zone
*Angel Island is floating during Knuckles' story, as evident by the final boss battle with Mecha Sonic. If it was taking place at the same time as Sonic's story, it would be in the ocean.
Dear God stop blowing my mind!! It all makes so much fucking sense! I always just thought Knuckles was arriving shortly after Sonic had been places, like 20 minutes later or something.

I want to play it again now.

TheSonicRetard said:
Incidentally - Sonic 1 takes place over the span of 1 day:
Green Hill Zone - morning
Marble Zone - daytime
Spring yard zone - evening
Labyrinth Zone - Inside, so no look at the sky
Star Light Zone - night
Scrap brain zone - dawn
Okay yeah, I noticed that as a kid. And I liked it.
 

Avrum

Member
Jun 12, 2006
949
0
0
TheSonicRetard said:
Most people think that, when you play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles' stories are happening at the same time.

But they're not. Knuckles' story takes place AFTER Sonic's story is completely finished. There are several clues that point this out:

*You never see Sonic, nor Robotnik when playing as Knuckles (Flying battery zone glitch and ending notwithstanding)
*The Death Egg isn't at Launch Base Zone
*The Death Egg isn't at Lava Reef Zone
*The ghosts have already been released in Sandopolis Zone
*Angel Island is floating during Knuckles' story, as evident by the final boss battle with Mecha Sonic. If it was taking place at the same time as Sonic's story, it would be in the ocean.

Incidentally - Sonic 1 takes place over the span of 1 day:
Green Hill Zone - morning
Marble Zone - daytime
Spring yard zone - evening
Labyrinth Zone - Inside, so no look at the sky
Star Light Zone - night
Scrap brain zone - dawn

Sonic & Knuckles takes place over the course of 3 days, 6 if you count Knuckles story.
The Sonic 1 thing I knew about as I remember it being pointed out in a magazine once. (an older discontinued one, maybe GameFan?) Anyway, the Sonic and Knuckles one I never knew about or thought to make connections. Mind isn't blown like some have with Mile Prower and the Mario 3 Tanooki thing (seriously guys, WTF :p) but incredibly interesting nonetheless. Makes me want to boot up Sonic Mega Collection... in fact, I'll do that right after work tomorrow for old times sake. ^_^
 
Jun 3, 2008
1,795
0
0
Guybrush Threepwood said:
That's cool. I also like this:



The trees in the background are the Mushroom Hill Zone. The mountain things are the Sandopolis Zone. You get there using the ship that is the Flying Battery Zone which probably came from the Launch Base Zone.
Close. The Flying Battery Zone is the ship which bombs Angel Island Zone right before you fight robotnik.

jman and I are about to awesome up this topic in ways that only obsessive sonic fans can. I'm reading my photobucket account right now...
 

jman2050

Member
May 18, 2005
31,847
0
0
Guybrush Threepwood said:
The trees in the background are the Mushroom Hill Zone. The mountain things are the Sandopolis Zone. You get there using the ship that is the Flying Battery Zone which probably came from the Launch Base Zone.
Actually, it's funny, Flying Battery Zone was originally a sonic 3 zone, slotted between Carnival Night and Ice Cap. It was moved to after Mushroom Hill in the end, using the cannon as the transition between CNZ and Ice Cap, but evidence of this fact remains, as the level order in Sonic 3's level select has Flying Battery between CNZ and ICZ, while working remnants of FBZ objects can be found in the Sonic 3 code itself.
 

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Jun 10, 2004
9,920
0
1,535
[THE TAIL IS RIGHT THERE. THE EARS ARE RIGHT THERE. HOW COULD YOU NOT SEE THE BIG BLACK OBVIOUS SHADOW JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THE BIG BULBOUS NUMBER?!?!?
 

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Nov 19, 2005
16,993
1
0
Northeast Ohio
www.dudebro2.com
jman2050 said:
Actually, it's funny, Flying Battery Zone was originally a sonic 3 zone, slotted between Carnival Night and Ice Cap. It was moved to after Mushroom Hill in the end, using the cannon as the transition between CNZ and Ice Cap, but evidence of this fact remains, as the level order in Sonic 3's level select has Flying Battery between CNZ and ICZ, while working remnants of FBZ objects can be found in the Sonic 3 code itself.
That would make sense considering Sonic is falling uncontrollably at the beginning of Ice Cap Zone (onto the snowboard). It probably was supposed to be falling from a blown-up Flying Battery Zone. Cool.
 
Jun 3, 2008
1,795
0
0
so, jman, wanna divy up the games? I'll take sonic 1, sonic CD, and Knuckles chaotix, and you can take sonic 2, sonic 3 & knuckles, and the dreamcast sonics?
 

lyre

Member
Sep 8, 2005
4,408
0
0
Dacvak said:
Old news to me, but also regular Raccoon Mario also had the ears, not just the Tanooki Suit Mario.

jman2050 said:
As an interesting bit of trivia, Sonic was originally designed as a rabbit that grabbed and threw things with its long ears. Too bad they thought it slowed down the game too much and ditched that concept in the en--



Wait...
1.
says hi???

2. SCAMCO steals from SEGA yet again?
 
Jun 3, 2008
1,795
0
0
Danthrax said:
That would make sense considering Sonic is falling uncontrollably at the beginning of Ice Cap Zone (onto the snowboard). It probably was supposed to be falling from a blown-up Flying Battery Zone. Cool.
Not just that - it originally wasn't supposed to be a snow board. Notice how, when sonic leaves Flying Battery Zone, a door pops off with him? He was originally supposed to ride that down the mountain like a snow board.

Obviously, when FBZ was scrapped in sonic 3, they added the snow board. The idea was reused in Sonic Adventure 2.