• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

saska

Not quite.

i12P3DNDu3f4r.png

Bit better comparison:
fL0fgTO.png

Amalthea

Banned
So, potential dumbass over here. Always thought "Kirby's Epic Yarn" was a bit of a weird title, like it's saying "Oh dude, yarn's so epic."

Then a couple nights ago I remembered that "Spinning a yarn" is an idiom for "telling a story". "Kirby's Epic Story." D'oh.
Or Super Smash Brothers for 3DS/WII U = Super Smash Brothers Four 3DS/WII U

Tom_Cody

So, potential dumbass over here. Always thought "Kirby's Epic Yarn" was a bit of a weird title, like it's saying "Oh dude, yarn's so epic."

Then a couple nights ago I remembered that "Spinning a yarn" is an idiom for "telling a story". "Kirby's Epic Story." D'oh.
Lol, I had never gotten that.

Jofamo

Speaking of Kirby, I only just realised the relevance of the most recent title, Triple Deluxe.

I thought it was a pretty odd name to be honest, and it doesn't seem to have any relevance to the game or story at all.

However, in addition to the food pun;

Triple = Three
Deluxe = D

So it's like a spin on Kirby 3D, as in the first Kirby on 3DS.

I only realised this weeks after finishing the game, was it just me?

Mike M

Nick N
Speaking of Kirby, I only just realised the relevance of the most recent title, Triple Deluxe.

I thought it was a pretty odd name to be honest, and it doesn't seem to have any relevance to the game or story at all.

However, in addition to the food pun;

Triple = Three
Deluxe = D

So it's like a spin on Kirby 3D, as in the first Kirby on 3DS.

I only realised this weeks after finishing the game, was it just me?

I realized it from the announcement myself. After the DS title shenanigans, I guess I'm just inclined to be looking for "3D" references in titles.

I'm back again! The F-Zero series has sold over 5 million units as of mid-2003? The article was posted August 20, 2003.

Nintendo.co.jp said:
【参考】 「F-ZERO」ゲームシリーズラインナップ

全世界で累計500万本以上を売り上げているハイスピードレースゲーム

I found this via Google translation.
Original link.
I seem to be getting text encoding issues so here is the archived version.

Similarly, "Diddy's Kong Quest" went completely over my head as a kid.

... Yeah.. I actually thought they made a mistake with the possessive apostrophe until I took a good look at it a couple years ago.

As for Kirby's Epic Yarn... Yeah, I totally missed the meaning... Same for Triple Deluxe.
I guess I don't even bother batting an eye to game titles when things like 385/2 days exists.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is pretty crazy...thirty years later and a new infinite 1-up glitch is found in SMB.

http://youtu.be/aSL3og5--uE
That's pretty cool, even if it's useless at that point in the game. You gotta love what bugs can do. Like warping to world 5 through the world 3 warp pipe if you can make it in before the plants disappear. Normally they'd activate before you get to the end of the platform, but the wall bug lets you in before it happens.

Also since it's the Japanese version I suspect it won't work the same on the US version? Or does the Minus World only activate on the left pipe and World 5 is always in the center. I know that Japan's Famicom Disk version had a totally different Minus World glitch than the cartridge version.

jakomocha

This is one I found out on my own about Wayforward. They released a game called Rescue Heroes: Billy Blazes for the GBA in 2003. In case you couldn't tell from the title, it was aimed towards young children and was a licensed game. Anyways, Mighty Switch Force 1 and especially 2 seem to take a lot of inspiration from this game which is practically unknown within the gaming community. In Rescue Heroes, the goal of each level is to rescue a certain number of people within a level before going to one specific endpoint where a machine picks you up and takes you out of the level. The exact same thing is true within the Mighty Switch Force games. And to further draw comparisons, in Mighty Switch Force 2 water is a huge mechanic (it is your weapon). In Rescue Heroes you play as a firefighter and water is also a major mechanic in the game. Level design is also similar in that all of them take a non-linear yet still straightforward approach to levels. Not exactly mindblowing stuff, but it is still pretty cool.

bigas

Well... I made it. I found something new (at least for me) in a 20 year old game - Super Mario World.

First, VIDEO OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN:

http://youtu.be/PE2f4fNWffo

Is it know to GAF that Cape Mario can repels Koopa baseball? Well... I didn't know. And I just found it because I'm playing with an Android Box and Bluetooth Controller that lags a lot. When Trying to overplay the lag, I discovered this.

Mas, if only I knew it before. Years and years trying to jump all those pesky balls.

Well... I made it. I found something new (at least for me) in a 20 year old game - Super Mario World.

Is it know to GAF that Cape Mario can repels Koopa baseball? Well... I didn't know. And I just found it because I'm playing with an Android Box and Bluetooth Controller that lags a lot. When Trying to overplay the lag, I discovered this.

Mas, if only I knew it before. Years and years trying to jump all those pesky balls.

Yeah, it's been known.

maxcriden

That's awesome, I had no idea. BTW, who is Koopa Troll? Those are Chargin' Chucks, right?

maxcriden

Well, thats how I call this enemy. I just don't know the "real" name.

It seems I found something new again, right? Lol

You found something new *and* learned something new! Haha. I do really appreciate the tip, though, that should be very helpful in replaying SMW! What was the other tip you found?

640px-CharginChuckMarioMania.PNG

Mario_charginChuck.gif

250px-Chargin%27_Chuck_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

Fun fact:

Names in other languages:

French (NOA) Fred Lafonce (Super Mario 3D World) Chargin' Fred
French (NOE) Bill Dozer Possibly a reference from the vehicle named'Bulldozer

http://www.mariowiki.com/Chargin'_Chuck

bigas

You found something new *and* learned something new! Haha. I do really appreciate the tip, though, that should be very helpful in replaying SMW! What was the other tip you found?

640px-CharginChuckMarioMania.PNG

Mario_charginChuck.gif

250px-Chargin%27_Chuck_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

Fun fact:

Names in other languages:

French (NOA) Fred Lafonce (Super Mario 3D World) Chargin' Fred
French (NOE) Bill Dozer Possibly a reference from the vehicle named'Bulldozer

http://www.mariowiki.com/Chargin'_Chuck

The tip is Charging Chuck name itself. Although I've been playing this game for 20 years, all I know is Mario and Yoshi names. All the other ones I made up by myself.

maxcriden

The tip is Charging Chuck name itself. Although I've been playing this game for 20 years, all I know is Mario and Yoshi names. All the other ones I made up by myself.

I'm glad I could help then! What are some of the other names you've come up with for characters?

ReyVGM

Saw the 64DD mentioned in another thread that reminded me of this interesting titbit. Mario Artist Polygon Studio is actually where the idea for Wario Ware originated and the first set of Microgames in the latter are based on the games found in the former (even the tape deck harks back to it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FoB3n1kxrY#t=55s

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but it's one of those cool things one should know.

Wait, isn't that an orange Gamecube, but without the handle? Was the Gamecube already shown by the time that game came out?

moniker

Code:
OMGWTF FAGGOT
RIDLEY POSING

Maybe not exactly mindblowing, more of a stupid fluke, but this is actually a valid password for Metroid (NES). And you start in Ridley's lair with it.

Robin64

Heh, cute. Though just a quirk with password generators as Metroid only has one intentional password in it, namely:

Code:
NARPAS SWORD0
000000 000000

Peagles

Pretty sure all Metroid passwords are just coincidence. It does work though.

Edit: Beaten lol.

I still don't know if they actually figured our where NARPAS SWORD comes from though?

moniker

Heh, cute. Though just a quirk with password generators as Metroid only has one intentional password in it, namely:

Code:
NARPAS SWORD0
000000 000000

Yup. The eight last chars aren't checked at all though when using that password and can be anything. In addition to that, blanks are interpreted as zeroes so you can just enter NARPAS SWORD without any zeroes.

Top Bottom