• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

BlakeofT

I've always thought that those blocks in SMB3 looked like Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

super-mario-bros-3-screenshot-water.jpg

cinnamontoastcrunch.jpg

BlakeofT said:
I've always thought that those blocks in SMB3 looked like Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

super-mario-bros-3-screenshot-water.jpg

cinnamontoastcrunch.jpg

Well I can definitely see the cinnamony swirls in every bite.

(I thought Sora being based off of Mickey was obvious. :/)

Clipper

Monroeski said:
Well, yeah.
It's set in the same world, 100 years later, flooded. The islands are basically the highest points of elevation from OoT. You even end up in visiting locations from OoT (I know Hyrule Castle, can't remember if there are any others) at the end when you go under the surface of the ocean.

Sorry to drag this comment out so late, but here's a mind blowing fact for you:

The Wind Waker is not set 100 years after Ocarina of Time.

The whole "100 years" thing comes from one mis-translation in an interview. Somewhere in this interview, the story was discussed and the answer was that WW is set hundreds of years after the adult timeline of OoT. Plurals are tricky in Asian languages and it was translated to "a hundred years" in the earliest interview and then was virally spread across the Internet.

The back story in the opening of Wind Waker clearly cannot have occurred within 100 years. Neither is that time anywhere near long enough for
the Zora to evolve into the Ruto, or the Kokiri into the Koroks
. There are a ton of other facts that prove the 100 years thing is total malarkey, but it persists because of that early mistranslation.

Hopefully this has informed at least GAF of this totally unimportant but necessary fact. Remember: it's "hundreds of years" not "a hundred years".

Here's a source:
There is a very common misconception among fans that TWW takes place exactly one hundred years after OoT. The source of this misconception is an interview of Eiji Aonuma, the game's director, conducted at the 2002 Wind Waker summit. It seems that Aonuma used an ambiguous Japanese word, and some translators translated him as saying "one hundred years." Other translators, however, translated this to "hundreds of years." (To see that this is true, look at the IGN version of the interview, and then look at the uncut GamePro version.) Among those who know about this inconsistency, it is generally assumed that Aonuma was mistranslated, and that he meant to say "hundreds" since this is what the game itself says. Unfortunately, the mistranslation made its way into the official NOA transcript of the interview. Even more unfortunately, this version of the interview as published on both nintendo.com and Nintendo Power Magazine. So this piece of misinformation has been picked up by countless gullible Zelda fans.

EzLink

Banned
"There is a very common misconception among fans that TWW takes place exactly one hundred years after OoT. The source of this misconception is an interview of Eiji Aonuma, the game's director, conducted at the 2002 Wind Waker summit. It seems that Aonuma used an ambiguous Japanese word, and some translators translated him as saying "one hundred years." Other translators, however, translated this to "hundreds of years." (To see that this is true, look at the IGN version of the interview, and then look at the uncut GamePro version.) Among those who know about this inconsistency, it is generally assumed that Aonuma was mistranslated, and that he meant to say "hundreds" since this is what the game itself says. Unfortunately, the mistranslation made its way into the official NOA transcript of the interview. Even more unfortunately, this version of the interview as published on both nintendo.com and Nintendo Power Magazine. So this piece of misinformation has been picked up by countless gullible Zelda fans."

:lol :lol :lol

I love how believing something that was said in an interview published in Nintendo Power makes you gullible

EtanSivad

Neo Member
I noticed this last month. In Super Mario Brothers, Bowser's fireballs always looked really odd to me. If you look at the sprite, they're actually flying backwards. I have no idea why they reversed the sprite, maybe it was an accident or thought it looked cooler.

Bowser_Fireball.gif

webrunner

KittenMaster said:
The bigger issue is... Why is that an axe that Mario jumps on?

I could never figure it out, can someone blow my mind on this one?

Presumably he cuts the little support holding the bridge up next to the axe.

Fireflu

KittenMaster said:
The bigger issue is... Why is that an axe that Mario jumps on?

I could never figure it out, can someone blow my mind on this one?
Mario is a barbarian warlord, hes merely claiming his axe back.

Link Man

Banned
EtanSivad said:
I noticed this last month. In Super Mario Brothers, Bowser's fireballs always looked really odd to me. If you look at the sprite, they're actually flying backwards. I have no idea why they reversed the sprite, maybe it was an accident or thought it looked cooler.

Bowser_Fireball.gif
Actually, that which you labeled as "What it looks like in game" is more representative of a real flame, as red<orange<white in terms of heat and a flame gets hotter as you go nearer the source (i.e. Bowser in this example).

Link Man said:
Actually, that which you labeled as "What it looks like in game" is more representative of a real flame, as red<orange<white in terms of heat and a flame gets hotter as you go nearer the source (i.e. Bowser in this example).

But for a flaming projectile the center of the fire would be in front. If it were fire breath that'd be a different story since the source of the fire isn't moving.

MNC

Fimbulvetr said:
But for a flaming projectile the center of the fire would be in front. It it were fire breath that'd be a different story since the source of the fire isn't moving.
This. The flame is a projectile. I never even noticed it was backwards! Not quite mind blown but very interesting :D

EtanSivad said:

http://home.comcast.net/~LiNaSaCh/Bowser_Fireball.gif[/ IMG][/QUOTE]
I had always wondered about this. It isn't mindblowing though. What would have been mindblowing if you'd explained [i]why[/i] they are the way they are.

EtanSivad

Neo Member
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I had always wondered about this. It isn't mindblowing though. What would have been mindblowing if you'd explained why they are the way they are.
Not bindblowing? *sighs* I can try harder.

From the original manual for Super Mario Brothers -
OBJECT OF THE GAME/GAME DESCRIPTION

One day the kingdom of the peaceful mushroom people was invaded by the
Koopa, a tribe of turtles famous for their black magic. The quiet, peace-loving
Mushroom People were turned into mere stones, bricks and even field horse-
hair plants, and the Mushroom Kingdom fell into ruin.

The only one who can undo the magic spell on the Mushroom People and
returntthem to their normal selves is the Princess Toadstool, the daughter of
the Mushroom King. Unfortunately, she is presently in the hands of the great
Koopa turtle king.

So... all the bricks you see in the game, are the Mushroom people... that means Mario is murdering people left and right when you smash the bricks.

MNC

EtanSivad said:

So... all the bricks you see in the game, are the Mushroom people... that means Mario is murdering people left and right when you smash the bricks.
o__O

EtanSivad said:

Nope, not mindblowing either. I used to read game manuals as a kid. I always assumed that when you destroyed a brick, you were freeing a mushroom person and they'd reappear whole and intact somewhere else.

Clipper

EtanSivad said:
Not necessarily... not all the bricks would be mushroom people. Also, given that the "field horsehair plants" are very possibly a reference to Fire Flowers (the reference is earlier in this thread, I think), then the "bricks" in question would be the question blocks and thus Mario's actually cannibalising the Mushroom People whenever he eats a Super Mushroom... assuming he eats Super Mushrooms and doesn't... OK, that's enough from me.

EtanSivad

Neo Member
Nope, not mindblowing either. I used to read game manuals as a kid. I always assumed that when you destroyed a brick, you were freeing a mushroom person and they'd reappear whole and intact somewhere else.
Yeah, not mindblowing either I guess.
Ok, one last try.
The opening tune in Earthbound when you're entering player names, uses an audio sample from the opening tune of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I discovered that when I was extracting audio samples from the ROM.

EtanSivad said:

Mind exploded.

MNC

EtanSivad said:
Ok, one last try.
The opening tune in Earthbound when you're entering player names, uses an audio sample from the opening tune of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I discovered that when I was extracting audio samples from the ROM.
Jesus Christ you scoundrel, stop it this instant!

Though some audiofiles would be nice

EtanSivad said:
Ok, one last try.
That one's pretty cool.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Link Man said:
Think about it in terms of a comet -

2wggck9.jpg

As it flies to the bottom right of that pic, the brightest part leads it.

I always just assumed the fire was that way because (as someone mentioned) if it was just a fire breath coming from Bowser that wasn't a projectile, that is how it would look, and the NES being simple as it is they just drew it like that then made it move across the screen. I don't think it was actually flipped around, though it is a pretty cool thought.

Struct09

But it says right there in the manual that only Princess Toadstool can undo the magic.

The only one who can undo the magic spell on the Mushroom People and
return them to their normal selves is the Princess Toadstool, the daughter of
the Mushroom King. Unfortunately, she is presently in the hands of the great
Koopa turtle king.

webrunner

Monroeski said:
Think about it in terms of a comet -

2wggck9.jpg

As it flies to the bottom right of that pic, the brightest part leads it.

I always just assumed the fire was that way because (as someone mentioned) if it was just a fire breath coming from Bowser that wasn't a projectile, that is how it would look, and the NES being simple as it is they just drew it like that then made it move across the screen. I don't think it was actually flipped around, though it is a pretty cool thought.

Comets don't work like that: The tail (Well, the bright part, the 'ion trail') points away from the star they orbit regardless of what direction they're moving in - it's generated by solar magnetism and not by motion. In the pic the comet is probably moving to the upper right or lower left.

The matter trail is a bit different, since it actually has to do with motion and solar winds and everything, but it's still not a 'tail' in the traditional sense.

EtanSivad said:
An example can be found here:
http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-music-similarities/

You can here the tune looping in the background. I don't have the actual ripped sample with me atm.

You know, we've given NoA a hard time for not supporting Earthbound's rerelease in the US, but the game really is an auditory rights hell, isn't it? :lol

Sure, they'd get away with this, I don't think they'd even have to credit Python (Monthy) Pictures Limited for it. But it's one more factor to feed into their legal paranoia.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
webrunner said:
Comets don't work like that: The tail (Well, the bright part, the 'ion trail') points away from the star they orbit regardless of what direction they're moving in - it's generated by solar magnetism and not by motion. In the pic the comet is probably moving to the upper right or lower left.
heh, very good point. i guess people forget that space is a vaccum and there's no atmosphere to create friction against the moving object.

So after replaying Link's Awakening last month I noticed something that had gone completely over my head. There's a ton of references to the Mario series in the game that mostly include the enemies making cameos but two in particular had slipped past me.

33uzp6f.png

Tarin is a reference to Mario, while in the forest looking for mushrooms he becomes a tanuki.

2ngufm9.jpg

Mamu is Wart from SMB2.

The center of the 360 power button is not neccesarily the best place to press. After four years thinking how difficultit is to power on and off the console itself I just realized when it's lying horizontal you should press the top of the button and when it's standing you want to press the right side.
This blew my mind today.:lol :lol

batbeg

EzLink said:
"There is a very common misconception among fans that TWW takes place exactly one hundred years after OoT. The source of this misconception is an interview of Eiji Aonuma, the game's director, conducted at the 2002 Wind Waker summit. It seems that Aonuma used an ambiguous Japanese word, and some translators translated him as saying "one hundred years." Other translators, however, translated this to "hundreds of years." (To see that this is true, look at the IGN version of the interview, and then look at the uncut GamePro version.) Among those who know about this inconsistency, it is generally assumed that Aonuma was mistranslated, and that he meant to say "hundreds" since this is what the game itself says. Unfortunately, the mistranslation made its way into the official NOA transcript of the interview. Even more unfortunately, this version of the interview as published on both nintendo.com and Nintendo Power Magazine. So this piece of misinformation has been picked up by countless gullible Zelda fans."

:lol :lol :lol

I love how believing something that was said in an interview published in Nintendo Power makes you gullible

I think Zelda fans are pretty gullible, and cling to anything. For example, that you still get people talking about Twilight Princess being the last Zelda of it's kind, which was of course from a fake interview.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Steven_Jitters said:
So after replaying Link's Awakening last month I noticed something that had gone completely over my head. There's a ton of references to the Mario series in the game that mostly include the enemies making cameos but two in particular had slipped past me.

33uzp6f.png

Tarin is a reference to Mario, while in the forest looking for mushrooms he becomes a tanuki.

2ngufm9.jpg

Mamu is Wart from SMB2.
Don't forget the Kirby look alike:
zeldadx_05.png
zeldadx_06.png
zeldadx_08.png

batbeg said:
Twilight Princess being the last Zelda of it's kind,
*spits drink out*

Shit, are you serious!? Nintendo is going to casualize the Zelda series!

Blu_LED said:
The castle in the background is on a spherical world. Galaxy had been planned all along.
The name for Super Mario Galaxy came from a fan letter to Nintendo Power in 1991:

mariogalaxy_np-preditcion.jpg

HUELEN10

Blu_LED said:
Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

The castle in the background is on a spherical world. Galaxy had been planned all along.
THAT IS MONAWESOME

mondo-awesome, super mario world reference, not Mona-awesome (Though Mona IS awesome...)
Seriously, mind blown. I wonder when Rosie's development started...

Aaron Strife said:
*spits drink out*

The name for Super Mario Galaxy came from a fan letter to Nintendo Power in 1991:

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure the Wii can display about that many colours (not that it matters these days) and can play any game from most of the game systems released up to that time. It even had MP3 support for the photo channel at launch!

Dude didn't see the name nor the controller coming though and the Wii is certainly NOT called the raw power system.

EDIT: He was pretty spot-on about the price, too.

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
Aaron Strife said:
*spits drink out*

Completely irrelevant, but that is the lamest fan letter I have ever read.

EtanSivad

Neo Member
The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure the Wii can display about that many colours (not that it matters these days) and can play any game from most of the game systems released up to that time. It even had MP3 support for the photo channel at launch!

Dude didn't see the name nor the controller coming though and the Wii is certainly NOT called the raw power system.

EDIT: He was pretty spot-on about the price, too.

The Wii runs in (more or less) 640x480x24bit color. So it has a pallete of 16,777,216 colors, but only enough pixels to display 307,200 at one time.

Not to be a total nit-pick bastard...

EtanSivad said:
The Wii runs in (more or less) 640x480x24bit color. So it has a pallete of 16,777,216 colors, but only enough pixels to display 307,200 at one time.

Not to be a total nit-pick bastard...
I tried to look up whether the Wii used 16bit or 24bit colour, couldn't find it. But yeah, you're right.

CTLance

mclem said:
What is it with Japanese depictions of ghosts often having their tongues hanging out? I've never quite made sense of that.
Eh. I am going to guess that it's a cultural thing.

You'll also notice that most evil ghosts don't have feet.

Another example from the region: Chinese ghosts are said to only be able to walk in straight lines, which is why they built many streets and bridges in a curvy/zigzag fashion, to hinder their progress.

Clipper

Aaron Strife said:
I'm trying to work out how he came up with that number of colours. Now, 27876992's prime factors are 2(7 times), 11, 13 and 1523.

So 2^7 = 8 * 16, and you could also get 4 out of it, if you like. And 4 + 2*7 + 11 + 13 = 42

So that gives us 4,8,16,1523,42... Oh crap.

Top Bottom