• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
NameGenerated said:
Princess Toadstool = Toadstool
Daisy = Daisy
Rosalina = Star?

You know what... I thought this was silly and farfetched, but... the color scheme actually fits, somewhat.

Peach doesn't, exactly, but she is pink, which matches red + white.

Daisy = yellow + brownish red

Rosalina = pale white/yello

I mean, it's not as crazy as I first thought.

RiskyChris said:
So speaking of blowing your mind, apparently toadstool isn't a made up word but actually is related to the 'shroom. Whoa.
I thought that was self evident?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
RiskyChris said:
So speaking of blowing your mind, apparently toadstool isn't a made up word but actually is related to the 'shroom. Whoa.
*smacks forehead*

Well I did know what a toadstool was when I was 3 :lol

"Omg guys... Eggplant Wizard... apparantly 'Eggplant' Is actually a real vegetable, not just some made up nonsense!"

BocoDragon said:
*smacks forehead*

Well I did know what a toadstool was when I was 3 :lol

"Omg guys... Eggplant Wizard... apparantly 'Eggplant' Is actually a real vegetable, not just some made up nonsense!"

Oh come on I've never eaten a toadstool in my life (because according to wiki it's poisonous), whereas an eggplant is an edible vegetable, you know, instead of a vague fungus.

Listen I'm just defending my ignorance here. I'll go dig up an obscure video game fact to make up for my transgressions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Keyser Soze said:
Probably already done, but each princess in the Mario games represents a power-up.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/markhill66/peach.jpg[/MG] = [IMG]http://www.stormgrounds.com/media/mario-mushroom.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://sp.4buckeyes.com/sppages/Pictures/daisy-large.gif[/MG] = [IMG]http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/super_mario_bros_ds_conceptart_Vtjq_thumb.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/834/834987/princess_rosetta_420_1194999503.jpg[/MG] = [MG]http://mytattooink.com/images/mario-star-tattoo-design.gif
not quite.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Keyser Soze said:
Probably already done, but each princess in the Mario games represents a power-up.

peach.jpg
=
mario-mushroom.jpg

daisy-large.gif
=
super_mario_bros_ds_conceptart_VGtjq_thumb.jpg

princess_rosetta_420_1194999503.jpg
=
mario-star-tattoo-design.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Seda said:
In Pokemon Blue, before you challenge Gary at the Pokemon Tower in Lavender town, he asks if you've ever known what its like to have a Pokemon die.

At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate.

Motherfucking shit. I was Rocked to my fucking core until i scrolled further down the page.

OnPoint

The princess all make sense, except one element bugs me.

Princess Toadstool = Mushroom.

Daisy = Fire flower

Rosalina = Star

I mean, thematically she works, since she's the 'mama' and all, but they couldn't find a more fitting name? Is there something in the etymology I'm missing? Am I taking this just a little too seriously, maybe because it's 3:44 AM and I want to sleep?

DDayton

OnPoint said:

Daisy = Fire flower

Rosalina = Star

I mean, thematically she works, since she's the 'mama' and all, but they couldn't find a more fitting name? Is there something in the etymology I'm missing? Am I taking this just a little too seriously, maybe because it's 3:44 AM and I want to sleep?

Toadstool and Rosalina aren't their actual names, at least as far as the Japanese folks (EAD included) are concerned.

Sfida

Grimm Fandango said:
Not sure if posted but I took this photo in Dark Cloud 2. The wanted guy seems somewhat familiar...

DSCN0548.jpg

likeness.jpg

I dunno, the eyepatch, goatee, and smile seem too coincidental.

I always thought it looked more like Amarant.
G1ZFn.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
I just noticed this while playing NSMB Wii. Listen to the drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew7IrCwxc3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd9Ufvc3vcw

Yeah, not mindblowing or anything, just found it interesting.

DavidDayton said:
Toadstool and Rosalina aren't their actual names, at least as far as the Japanese folks (EAD included) are concerned.

I'm pretty sure they combined the Japanese and American names at some point to make her official worldwide name Peach Toadstool. Same with Bowser, he's Bowser Koopa. Though they generally stick with the Japanese one these days. I can't remember the last time I saw them referred to Princess Toadstool or King Koopa in something from Nintendo.

I just saw the Bayou Billy post...wow. I remember watching a friend play that game way back. I'm going to have to share that little tidbit with him the next time I talk to him.

Mak

Forkball said:
Not really mindblowing and I'm sure the hardcore Zelda fans knew about this already, but Ganondorf was given the last name Dragmire in the LttP instruction manual. It's never been mentioned since.

Like your link mentions, it was part of the english localization of the manual. He was just called "Ganondorf" in Japan, which is why it wasn't used in Ocarina of Time. I don't really care for Dragmire.
There were a few other details changed in the english version of the manual's story

- The Master Sword wasn't forged because of Ganon. A message from the gods told the Hylians to forge it incase anyone evil got their hands on the Triforce since the Triforce cannot tell the difference between good and evil. This is why it's already waiting in the Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time.

- When the story explains how Ganon got the Triforce, it mentions that this was how Ganon, the King of Evil, was born in reference to giving backstory to Ganon who had appeared in the previous games.

http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=z3translation

DDayton

KevinCow said:
I'm pretty sure they combined the Japanese and American names at some point to make her official worldwide name Peach Toadstool. Same with Bowser, he's Bowser Koopa. Though they generally stick with the Japanese one these days. I can't remember the last time I saw them referred to Princess Toadstool or King Koopa in something from Nintendo.

No, they didn't.

What they DID do is vaguely mesh over the names at the launch of the N64.

The Princess is officially "Peach" everywhere now, and quasi-named "Toadstool" outside of Japan.

Bowser is only that in the West. In Japan he's still Kuppa.

Don't look at me... it's wacky NOA localizers from the early 80s we are dealing with.

DDayton

onegoodlogan said:
Has it been mentioned in here that Goombas are chestnuts and not mushrooms?

That's one of those problematic ones... they are certainly NAMED "Chestnut Boy," but the vast majority of the time they are shown as mushroom-like enemies... aside from in Super Mario World.

m00

onegoodlogan said:
Has it been mentioned in here that Goombas are chestnuts and not mushrooms?
In SM64DS, when Yoshi first gets a power flower, a message box tells you that barbecued Goombas are a delicacy. (Chestnuts Goombas roasting on an open fire?)

EDIT: Well, it's official: Goombas are shiitake mushrooms.

Iwata Asks said:
Iwata: By the way, is it a coincidence that the Goomba looks like a mushroom?
Tezuka: It's a shiitake mushroom!
Iwata:It's a shiitake? (laughs) So it's not a chestnut?
Tezuka: That's right. (laughs)

i liked this from that interview:

Nakago: Yes, of course. For instance, we had to display all the graphics on screen using only 256 components.

Iwata: Yes, that's right. Later on, a new integrated circuit would increase the number of available bytes, but at the time of Super Mario, the Famicom allowed a game cartridge to be able to contain just 256 components, each one of which consisted of 8 X 8 dots.

Nakago: Right. That's why we strived to make the items take up as little space as we possibly could.

Iwata: And Tezuka-san would do things like put wings on the Koopa Troopas and suggest that you call them Koopa Paratroopas! (laughs)

Tezuka: (laughs)

Nakago: We'd use the same image for both clouds and grass, just changing the color.

Iwata: The clouds and grass look like separate objects, but actually they both use the same graphical elements.

Tezuka: Yes. It was fun back then when we'd have to come up with ideas like that.

Mak

The meaning behind The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I came across Nintendo Power's first preview of "Zelda III", before the game had an english subtitle, and realized it explains the meaning behind "A Link to the Past". There was some uncertainty if the subtitle was refering to the game taking place before The Legend of Zelda, or if it were refering to the Imprisioning War that links to the present day events.

Nintendo Power vol 27 Aug 1991
ZELDA III

While Nintendo Company Ltd. is being extremly secretive about the third game in the "Zelda series, we have heard that it should be complete by August, with a scheduled release date of winter 1991. From what we've seen of Zelda III, all we can say is it looks awesome!

The story behind Zelda III links with the past in that the hero is an ancestor of Link (also named Link) and the main maiden he must rescue is an ancestor of Zelda.

Cheerilee

OnPoint said:

Daisy = Fire flower

Rosalina = Star

Peach
Daisy
Rose

Flower theme.

In Japan, tree blossoms = flowers.
And peach = sexy female ass.

Mak said:
The meaning behind The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I came across Nintendo Power's first preview of "Zelda III", before the game had an english subtitle, and realized it explains the meaning behind "A Link to the Past". There was some uncertainty if the subtitle was refering to the game taking place before The Legend of Zelda, or if it were refering to the Imprisioning War that links to the present day events.

Nintendo Power vol 27 Aug 1991
ZELDA III

While Nintendo Company Ltd. is being extremly secretive about the third game in the "Zelda series, we have heard that it should be complete by August, with a scheduled release date of winter 1991. From what we've seen of Zelda III, all we can say is it looks awesome!

The story behind Zelda III links with the past in that the hero is an ancestor of Link (also named Link) and the main maiden he must rescue is an ancestor of Zelda.
How can the story behind Zelda III link to the past if Zelda I&II are the future? Maybe Zelda I&II can be seen as being "behind" Zelda III, so "the story behind" Zelda III (which would be Zelda I&II) links to the past (which is Zelda III). Temporal grammar headache.

Also, that timeline is disputed, because Miyamoto was apparently under the impression that he made Zelda I>II>III as direct sequels with no flashbacks or prequels or origin stories or whatever until OoT (although he didn't know where Link's Awakening fits in that, so it just floats in limbo and can be anywhere). But some people working under him (particularly the English translators) appear to have been under the impression that they were working on a prequel to I&II. Of course, Miyamoto doesn't care about story.

And then Aonuma flushed the old timeline when he took over, and is making up his own one (with maybe an occasional retcon) as he goes along.

Mak

eh... I wasn't debating the Zelda timeline (which I'm not getting into for this topic :) ) I'm just pointing out what the english title to the Super NES Zelda probably means based on it's early preview that used the wording "links with the past" before it used that subtitle.

Mak said:
eh... I wasn't debating the Zelda timeline (which I'm not getting into here :) ), just pointing out what the english title to the Super NES Zelda probably means based on it's early preview that used the wording "links with the past".
did people not know what

I always thought it was obvious

Mak said:
Adding to that, Mr Wright from Sim City is named after Sim City's creator, Will Wright. He's also a good friend of Shigeru Miyamoto.

There's a picture of both of them from 1989 in the book High Score on page 238, but couldn't find it online. Found this one though.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/cgi-bin/drupal/?q=node/901
:O They look like kids!

Also please tell me that's just a bad photo and rebellious, 'teenage' Shigeru didn't actually pierce his ears... :lol

RiskyChris said:
mario3DacClops.png

Holy shit did you know your avatar from SMB3 has a tail and ears!
:lol

What's worse than people posting the same facts every 10 pages is the regurgitation of all the tired old pokemon name trivia.
[Nintex] said:
The early GameCube/Dolphin devkits had an upgraded version of Peach's Castle as a tech demo. Might've been related to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxpmydJouc

Why they developed Super Mario Sunshine instead of a great looking Mario 64 sequel is anyones guess.
Brilliant! Never saw that before.

lordy88

revolverjgw said:
Demon's Souls Main theme

Triumvirat- The Burning Sword of Capua

Not mind blowing or anything, but maybe interesting for people that like this kind of stuff. I was listening to Triumvirat and the opening organ line for this track instantly made me sit up straight and go "HEY"

DEFINITELY. Seriously, i've heard a lot of random accusations surrounding recycled music in this thread, and this one is easily the one that holds the most water. Nice find.

Pachinko

revolverjgw said:
Demon's Souls Main theme

Triumvirat- The Burning Sword of Capua

Not mind blowing or anything, but maybe interesting for people that like this kind of stuff. I was listening to Triumvirat and the opening organ line for this track instantly made me sit up straight and go "HEY"

Actually I see a bit of demons souls in there but this honestly sounds more like the inspiration for FF6's kefka battle and even more so fighting ultimecia junctioned to griever in ff8.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh good christ. I only just realised
Toad. Short for Toadstool. THAT'S Why he's called Toad, not some frog shit ¬_¬

DryvBy

RiskyChris said:
Oh come on I've never eaten a toadstool in my life (because according to wiki it's poisonous), whereas an eggplant is an edible vegetable, you know, instead of a vague fungus.

Listen I'm just defending my ignorance here. I'll go dig up an obscure video game fact to make up for my transgressions.

Wait, so...Mario teaches young kids to eat poison for strength. Where's Jack Thompson?
Thompson_Jack.jpg

OnPoint said:

Daisy = Fire flower

Rosalina = Star

Rosalina is not called like that in other countries. In Japanese she is called Rosetta, that its a type of orbit (goes with the theme) and in the Spain spanish version she is called Estela (can be the tail of a comet or Star in latin).
This time it was America, France and Italy who fucked up the name around. What the fuck has to mean Rosalina, Harmoine or Rosalinda with galaxies or stars.
I love the spanish name BTW, think it was the best one this time, so thank you very much Nintendo España.

KevinCow

Banned
Pac-Man is a game where you wander aimlessly through a maze of dark, featureless corridors, relentlessly chased by the undead. Your combat abilities against them are minimal, and your ammunition extremely limited - there are only four per map. Even if you do "kill" your enemies, they are not truly dead, merely slightly inconvenienced. They can never be truly killed, and live for the sole purpose of hunting you until you're dead.

Do you get what I'm saying? Pac-Man is the first survival horror game.

KevinCow said:
Pac-Man is a game where you wander aimlessly through a maze of dark, featureless corridors, relentlessly chased by the undead. Your combat abilities against them are minimal, and your ammunition extremely limited - there are only four per map. Even if you do "kill" your enemies, they are not truly dead, merely slightly inconvenienced. They can never be truly killed, and live for the sole purpose of hunting you until you're dead.

headasplode.gif

IrishNinja

KevinCow said:

91 pages, and finally, my mind is blown.

KevinCow said:

Oh damn.

God damn at the Pac-Man. I mean, seriously, I never thought of it that way.

Also, what with all the princess debate, am I the only one who thinks Peach is a freak in the sack? I mean, seriously, I think there's more to her than that innocent princess exterior.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well I assume people who know Pokemon well enough are aware of the whole Kadabra thing and his relation to a UK spoon-bending celebrity, but while Nintendo are keen to move away from that reasoning for its design due to lawsuit issues, there is one Pokemon that is almost certainly based on an actual person.

Wobbuffet is supposedly based on late Japanese comedian Sanpei Hayashiya, whose catchphrase is to place his hand to his forehead in a salute and to say "That's the way it is, madam!" or "It is so, madam!". This is evident in the regular pose Wobbuffet holds during much of its time outside of the Pokeball where it appears to be saluting, and also by the comedian's catchphrase - the Japanese translation of his catchphrase is "Sō nansu, okusan!", and Wobbuffet's Japanese name is Sonansu, so its name roughly means "It is so!"

Also, its pre-evolved form is a play on said catchphrase - Wynaut's Japanese name is Sonano, which roughly translates to "Is it so?", so the two Pokemon's Japanese names are pretty much a back-and-forth between each other ("Is it so? It is so!"). This time however the English name tries to reflect on it somewhat (Wynaut = "Why not?")

Not really mindblowing but I was curious about the origin of this Pokemon's design considering how it looks like an upside-down testicle and made me wonder what the fuck Creatures and Game Inc. were smoking by this point. So, there you go.

OMG Aero

Solstice said:
Also, what with all the princess debate, am I the only one who thinks Peach is a freak in the sack? I mean, seriously, I think there's more to her than that innocent princess exterior.
There has to be a reason Mario keeps saving her from Bowser.
He can't be doing it from the good of his heart any more.

mclem

KevinCow said:

And the next evolution of the genre was arguably http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Monster_Maze ; Dino Crisis to Pac-Man's Resident Evil?

HE IS HUNTING FOR YOU

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
KevinCow said:

FUUUUUUUUUU-

KevinCow said:

This is the best post in like thirty pages, easily.

Top Bottom