• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Mike M

Nick N
I think Wart is long overdue for a reappearance as the big baddie in a Mario game (unless he secretly is in 3D World, I haven't played that one yet). I'd kill for a Mario game that had a bunch of SMB2 enemies and elements only for Wart to pop in after beating Bowser in World 8 to steal the show and have the whole thing be Bowser's dream or something.

2247967-kappa.png
Well now I know why that's a Kappa face. It's basically a Japanese troll.

Zubz

Banned
I think Wart is long overdue for a reappearance as the big baddie in a Mario game (unless he secretly is in 3D World, I haven't played that one yet). I'd kill for a Mario game that had a bunch of SMB2 enemies and elements only for Wart to pop in after beating Bowser in World 8 to steal the show and have the whole thing be Bowser's dream or something.

This is honestly what I was expecting throughout 3D World, what with all the SMB2 callbacks. But nope. As great as it was, it really was just Bowser again.
At least it was still a great fight with him at the end; it was fun, and definitely a spectacle
. Maybe in the evitable next Mario game?

LGom09

I first heard it in this podcast at 56:15 and found some links that supported it. Upon further review, it's not very clear if it's the truth, but here's something:
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/dk_fuzzy.shtml

Music

On page 48 of Game Over, author David Sheff says that Shigeru Miyamoto composed DK's music: "Miyamoto was nearly finished, but the game needed background music. He wrote it himself, on an electronic keyboard attached to a computer and stereo cassette deck." Maybe something in Sheff's notes was lost in translation, because on the official Super Smash Bros. Brawl website and in the Famicom 20th Anniversary Original Sound Tracks Vol. 1 liner notes, Yukio Kaneoka gets the credit for DK's music.

Sound effects

Sometimes credited for composing Donkey Kong's music, Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka actually made the sound effects, not the music. Now the president of Creatures Inc., Tanaka started his video game career doing sound design at Nintendo. Tanaka lists his works on his website, where he specifies "Arcade Games 1980-1983: Sound effects creation" followed by screenshots from the Donkey Kong arcade game trilogy.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Found a song that sounds like Zelda's Lullaby from 1976: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUVmcKcTZ4A Go to 15:05.

Yep, that's all.

I don't know if anyone here has noticed this (the commenters in the Youtube vid certainly did), but the track "Concerto For Philodendron And Pothos" from Mort Garson's 1976 synth album Plantasia sounds an awful lot like it may have inspired Zelda's lullaby, and I wouldn't be surprised if Koji Kondo has heard this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c49Trz5Rc_A

Old. ;)

Chrono Trigger:

7Q0VjJ1.png

Did you know the roof of the Black Omen is not the tip of the worldmap sprite, but the center section? What looks like the tip of the sprite is not actually "up" but "forward". The Black Omen is actually shaped like an Imperial Star Destroyer from Star Wars.

Someone actually beat me to it and made a 3D version of the Black Omen in Minecraft:

Chrono Trigger:

7Q0VjJ1.png

Did you know the roof of the Black Omen is not the tip of the worldmap sprite, but the center section? What looks like the tip of the sprite is not actually "up" but "forward". The Black Omen is actually shaped like an Imperial Star Destroyer from Star Wars.

Someone actually beat me to it and made a 3D version of the Black Omen in Minecraft:

My life is a lie.

Ishida

Banned
Chrono Trigger:

7Q0VjJ1.png

H... HOLY SHIT.... As probably the biggest Chrono fan in this forum, I admit my mind has been blown back to the prehistoric ages and back. o_O

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't get what's so mindblowing about the Black Omen, I always saw it like that, like a long insect with fly-eyes.

Mikey Jr.

OMG that Black Omen.

Mind 'splosion right now.

I always imagined it like a tip pointing into the sky. Not like the star destroyer.

My brainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

edit: God, the sprite actually makes sense now, hahaha.

Zubz

Banned
Skullgirls_boxart.jpg

Hmm... Going by that, Filipinos spell school "skul." I wonder if the pun was derived from that.

I'm also pretty sure one of the achievements for beating Tutorial Mode (Which taught you all the basic mechanics and took place in a Danger Room/Classroom hybrid) was called "Skülgirls" as well, which, when pronounced, sounds like "schoolgirls."

Kind of strange, though, since Filia & Painwheel are the only actual schoolgirls (Peacock's school-aged, but is instead a human test subject/assassin).
Maybe Umbrella too if she ever got in.

Red UFO

Yeah, because of that I've also just realised the 2 circles on the Black Omen are the engines/exhausts. I always thought the "tip" was the back.

I was reading an Iwata Asks and came across this, I don't think it's been brought up before. From Super Mario Bros.:

Nakago: The castle at the start is small, and the one at the goal is big, but they're actually the same castle.

Tezuka: We took the top of the castle at the goal and used it at the start.

img005.jpg

Nakago: If you look closely at the castle at the goal, there's a door in an upper floor, but we insist it's a window! (laughs)

Iwata: (laughs)

Nakago: We were always thinking of tricks like that when we made Super Mario Bros.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That whole castle thing is wrong though.

Level 1-1 has no castle. Because Mario is just showing up.

The end of level 1 has a small castle. The beginning of 1-2 has the same castle. (You see it in the cutscene as Mario enters the pipe.) And the end of 1-2 also has a small castle.

You see this castle at the beginning of 1-3.

At the end of 1-3 you get a giant castle.

In 1-4 you're in the castle.

And at the beginning of 2-1 and all other x-1 levels you have a large castle at the start because you're exiting it.

It's consistent and standard across the whole game.

Once the loop is in effect you see Large, Small, Small at the start and Small, Small, Large at the ends of every level. The castle isn't shrinking or anything. It's just drawn the same to save on memory. It's just the CloudBush syndrome. Reuse sprites and patterns to save space in memory.

It's a window at the top. But could very well be a door too since it is indeed a balcony up there.

The part people should be wondering about is how the large castle wall continues on infinitely if you manage to jump over the flagpole and keep running. But if you just finish the level normally, the next x-1 only has the large castle itself and not the infinite wall. Memory restraints! The last tile of the level repeats for some reason. Instead of just stopping the camera. Why? I mean 1-2 (Underground) has a camera stop position if you go to the Warp Zone. But when above ground the level extends forever if you happen to make it over the pole. Such a weird thing.

The end of level 1 has a small castle. The beginning of 1-2 has the same castle. (You see it in the cutscene as Mario enters the pipe.) And the end of 1-2 also has a small castle.

And at the beginning of 2-1 and all other x-1 levels you have a large castle at the start because you're exiting it.

Once the loop is in effect you see Large, Small, Small at the start and Small, Small, Large at the ends of every level. The castle isn't shrinking or anything. It's just drawn the same to save on memory. It's just the CloudBush syndrome. Reuse sprites and patterns to save space in memory.

It's a window at the top. But could very well be a door too since it is indeed a balcony up there.

I have literally no idea what you just said.

The point being made from the previous post was that they reused the small castle to make the bigger one, don't think you're meant to get anything else from it.

7threst

The part people should be wondering about is how the large castle wall continues on infinitely if you manage to jump over the flagpole and keep running. But if you just finish the level normally, the next x-1 only has the large castle itself and not the infinite wall. Memory restraints! The last tile of the level repeats for some reason. Instead of just stopping the camera. Why? I mean 1-2 (Underground) has a camera stop position if you go to the Warp Zone. But when above ground the level extends forever if you happen to make it over the pole. Such a weird thing.

What is exactly wrong? They are just explaing they are reusing assets like the clouds/bushes, there is no huge philosophy behind that either than small castle = you're not finished with the level yet; big castle = you're entering the boss stage and are about to confront Bowser and finish the level.

My brain kinda hurts from your post though...

Nakago: The castle at the start is small, and the one at the goal is big, but they're actually the same castle.

These two lines are talking about using the little fort to make up the top of the castle. By how they worded it, it sounds like they made the large castle first but decided to take the top section and recycle it to make the little forts you see between levels.

Nakago: If you look closely at the castle at the goal, there's a door in an upper floor, but we insist it's a window! (laughs)

Iwata: (laughs)

Nakago: We were always thinking of tricks like that when we made Super Mario Bros.
This is talking about using door tiles to make windows. Even if the tile on the smaller section is interpreted as a door, it is very clear the tiles on the middle floor, the ones just above the actual door tiles are meant to be seen as large windows.

So yeah I don't see what is supposed to be wrong here.

Cheerilee

What is exactly wrong? They are just explaing they are reusing assets like the clouds/bushes, there is no huge philosophy behind that either than small castle = you're not finished with the level yet; big castle = you're entering the boss stage and are about to confront Bowser and finish the level.

My brain kinda hurts from your post though...

They're using words like "start" and "goal" incorrectly, and even have a picture of them doing it wrong.

img005.jpg

At the start of the game, the definitive "start", there is no castle whatsoever. After you cross 1-1, you encounter a "goal" which is stairs, a flagpole, and let's call it a "fort". Mario claims the fort with no effort, after the player uses the stairs to land on the flagpole. The level doesn't progress from small to large castles, it goes from zero to small (and is the only level in the game to do that).

At the start of 1-2, there is story continuity and Mario embarks from the fort he claimed at the end of 1-1, and he ends up at another goal, which is stairs, a flagpole, and another fort. The level begins and ends with two forts, and still no castle.

At the start of 1-3, Mario embarks from the second fort, and ends up and ends up at the stairs/flag/castle. This example is what is pictured above.

1-4 takes place inside the castle, and ends with a Bowser battle fakeout and "but our princess is in another castle", which is the "goal" in Mario 1 if you ask just about anyone.

Level 2-1 flips the interview statement completely around, because now the castle is the "start", and the fort is the "goal".

The only levels where the interview statement is true are 1-3, 2-3, 3-3, and so on. A better line would have been "The fortress sub-goals are small, and the larger castle goals are big, but they're actually made out of the same pieces, and the entire fortress is included in the castle design."

I took the castle comment to mean that the entire castle is there at the beginning of the levels where the "fort" is, it's just that the castle is positioned on the screen in such a way that all you see is the top, which is why I posted it.

Did you know that there is not a single rotating object/sprite in SMB1-3?
Fireballs and hammers in SMB.1 have different sprites for rotation as far as I can tell (even if they're not separate sprites, it would be easy enough to do 90 degree rotation in real time by simply changing the order which pixels are drawn, much like how sprites tend to be flipped.)

mclem

The only levels where the interview statement is true are 1-3, 2-3, 3-3, and so on. A better line would have been "The fortress sub-goals are small, and the larger castle goals are big, but they're actually made out of the same pieces, and the entire fortress is included in the castle design."

You're strictly correct, but you're focussing on an aspect that they're only generalising over. The core of what they're talking about is simply how the small castle is the top part of the large castle. *Where* those castles appear isn't actually important to what they're discussing; they're generalising because the most noticeable way it develops *is* in the 1-3s, where you clearly see a progression to a large impressive castle.

The point isn't the storyline aspect. The point is the spritework.

Top Bottom