• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Commander Keen is the grandson of B.J Blazcowitz - from the Wolfenstein 3d hint manual;

William Joseph Blazkowicz was born August 15, 1911, to Polish immigrants. Blazkowicz was a top spy for the Allied Forces, receiving the Congressional Medal of Honor and other accolades for heroism. "B.J.," (as he was called by his friends) married after World War II, at age 40, to Julia Marie Peterson. Their son, Arthur Kenneth Blazkowicz, became a television talk show personality in Milwaukee. For show biz purposes, Arthur changed his last name to Blaze. Arthur later married Susan Elizabeth McMichaels. They had one son (which they named after Arthur's father), William Joseph Blazkowicz II, or as he signs his grade school homework, B. Blaze....

Also, you know that alien language which appears in all the Commander Keen episodes? Well in the secret areas of the secret levels of episodes 3 and 6 there's a key to translating the language;

Code:
  A     B     C     D     E     F     G     H     I     J     K     L     M
  #    #     #    ####   # #  #####    #   ###    #    #      #    #     # #
 # #   #                 #             #          #           #    # #     #
 # #   #     #    ##     #    # # #  ###   ###         # #  # # #  #       #
 #      #     #     ##   ###           #    #     #           #    # #   ###
 #    ####    #                        #    #     #    #      #    #
##

N     O     P     Q     R     S     T     U     V     W     X     Y     Z
 # #   ##    # #    #          #     ##           #         #  #   # #    #
   #     #     #         # #   #      #    # #   ###    #     #    # #   # #
   #     #   # #   ###          #     #                      #     # #   # #
  #     #    #     # #   # #    #         #####  ###   # #  #      # #   # #
 #     #     # #   ###          #     #

Using this we can translate the sentence that appears again and again as "Too bad you don't know the language." Incidently, in the secret level 'Eight Ways to Hell' from Rise of the Triad there's a room with a setence written in Keen language which translates to "Dopefish lives!".

In Cygnus' classic vertical shooter Raptor if you start the game up on the birthday of a Cygnus employee the game will behave in a strange manner. Firstly, the midi tune over the Apogee logo is replaced by a recording of Cygnus employee's humming the Apogee tune, secondly strange enemies will appear in the first level such as a cow with a machinegun, a velociraptor and a coconut throwing monkey and thirdly when you quit the game the Cygus employee whose birthday it is will treat you to an impersonation of a monkey. Here are the birth dates;

March 12 Bobby Prince
May 16 Scott Host
August 28 Rich Fleider
October 2 Jim Molinets

Finally, in the Rise of the Triad level 'The Room' you can find the secret item 'Scott's Mystical Head' - it's a digitized photograph of Apogee president Scott Miller's head, when you pick it up a sound file plays "SCOTT'S MYSTICAL HEAD!!!" and you receive 2,764,331 points which is part of the old Apogee mail order number; 1-800-276-4331

1058full.jpg

dani_dc

RagnarokX said:
People didn't know about the Aquatic Ruin Zone raft?

Well, here's something that some may not know:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2d9pj0m.png

In Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2, at the last pulley lift thing before the boss, if you make it go up via the left lever, the ceiling of the room above it allows you to pass through via the spring path and obtain some shields.
Ah, I remember doing that a few times back when I got the game and never understooding how it actually worked :lol

Blows my mind it has an actual method and it wasn't just a glitch :lol

Bootaaay said:
Commander Keen is the grandson of B.J Blazcowitz - from the Wolfenstein 3d hint manual

Hoooooooly shit.

Also, you know that alien language which appears in all the Commander Keen episodes?

This I knew though. There are secret Vorticon messages all over all six games written in the language.

wRATH2x

Banned
Ranger X said:
There is ALOT of those "hidden paths" in Sonic 2 and 3. And god the rythm between speed and platforming was PERFECT back then.

I really fear Sonic 4 simply won't be up the ante.
It won't.

Tenkei

Bootaaay said:
Also, you know that alien language which appears in all the Commander Keen episodes?
When I was a kid, I deciphered the language using only the coded message left by Keen's nemesis in the fifth game (the one on a space station). I figured that, if the message was based on the English language, then "the" would be the most common word, and I deciphered every other letter from that. Q wasn't in the message, but I found that one by playing through the game again and discovering that the Quantum Explosion Dynamo's initialism was written on the machine in the last level.

Yeah, I was a bored kid. I studied cryptography later in life, so it's not all bad! :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Tenkei said:
When I was a kid, I deciphered the language using only the coded message left by Keen's nemesis in the fifth game (the one on a space station). I figured that, if the message was based on the English language, then "the" would be the most common word, and I deciphered every other letter from that. Q wasn't in the message, but I found that one by playing through the game again and discovering that the Quantum Explosion Dynamo's initialism was written on the machine in the last level.

Yeah, I was a bored kid. I studied cryptography later in life, so it's not all bad! :lol
That reminds me of how I cracked the passwords for Lemmings when I was a kid. I amazed my brothers and cousin when I entered the code for the last level. They thought I got there on my own. :lol

Alphahawk

I'm going to change how you saee Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2 forever.

In act 2 Robotniks using his satellite to actively change the weather, first it's spring time weather than it's fall type weather than it's winter, when you destroy his hookup at the end of the act everything reverts back to spring

It's so obvious, but I bet half of y'all didn't relize it, until you read the above...

Sapiens

Alphahawk said:
I'm going to change how you saee Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2 forever.

In act 2 Robotniks using his satellite to actively change the weather, first it's spring time weather than it's fall type weather than it's winter, when you destroy his hookup at the end of the act everything reverts back to spring

It's so obvious, but I bet half of y'all didn't relize it, until you read the above...
Um. I thought it was kind of obvious.

How does someone even go about originally noticing that Peach's Final Smash Music thing anyway. When it was slowed down I knew instantly what it was from, but if I was just going by the regular speed one. *shrugs*

Must have keen ears for that stuff.

Koren

Fuzzy said:
That reminds me of how I cracked the passwords for Lemmings when I was a kid. I amazed my brothers and cousin when I entered the code for the last level. They thought I got there on my own. :lol
Am I the only one who spent a lot of time cracking password in many games back in time?

My first one was Prince of Persia GBA (which is a quite easy one to crack for a first) but after, I spend a long time doing this (for example, spending some time writing the ATP score for each player in Jimmy Connors and comparing it with the corresponding password)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Koren said:
Am I the only one who spent a lot of time cracking password in many games back in time?

My first one was Prince of Persia GBA (which is a quite easy one to crack for a first) but after, I spend a long time doing this (for example, spending some time writing the ATP score for each player in Jimmy Connors and comparing it with the corresponding password)
I'm guessing that since you QUOTED somebody else that did it, who was responding to a third person that did something quite similar, the answer is likely no, you're not the only one. ;)

SOLDIER

DrFunk said:
Anyone else notice this video is running at 60 fps?

Yes, and I'm wondering how he did that. Is that some sort of emulator feature? I would love it if all the old games ran that smoothly.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SOLDIER said:
Yes, and I'm wondering how he did that. Is that some sort of emulator feature? I would love it if all the old games ran that smoothly.
They do. I assume that the odd thing about it is that Youtube typically cuts everything down to 30fps.

SOLDIER said:
The real hardware and most emulators do, youtube is capped at 30fps but the way around it is to use a low res and low quality file, not sure which, and for some reason it uploads at 60. This is also an old video so that 60fps trick probably doesn't work not. At that quality you are best uploading something sharper looking at 30fps anyway.

Sixfortyfive said:
They do. I assume that the odd thing about it is that Youtube typically cuts everything down to 30fps.
Yeah, it may blow some people who are used to current games's minds but when 2D games were still all the rage, pretty much any 2D action/platform game worth its salt ran at 60fps with occasional slowdown when there was a lot going on. None of the Mario games would have been as fun if they didn't run at 60fps and the same applies to Sonic.

Also, some Youtubers use really shitty recording/emulation setups so while their videos may be 30fps, their recorded footage may have even less. Recording game footage at maximum speed and without hiccups isn't something everyone gets right at the first try.

mclem

magicalsoundshower said:
Yeah, it may blow some people who are used to current games's minds but when 2D games were still all the rage, pretty much any 2D action/platform game worth its salt ran at 60fps with occasional slowdown when there was a lot going on. None of the Mario games would have been as fun if they didn't run at 60fps and the same applies to Sonic.

*European sob*

I hope there's a legit way of getting Celebi in HG/SS. Unless I'm mistaken, it's one of the rarest Pokemon this generation, because Nintendo hardly ever do events for it.

Not that they ever seem to do any events here in the UK.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia about Sonic & Knuckles that some people may not have picked up on (I only realised it about a year ago):

There isn't a single body of water in the whole game. Makes the bubble shield largely useless, beyond acting as a regular shield.

Top Bottom