• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Lord Ghirahim said:

Old, I guess.
QY96P.gif

Lord Ghirahim said:
ganondorf-equals-tingle.jpeg
Old, I guess.

Oh, ffs. I was about to get my mind blown about this crazy storyline revelation until I clicked the link. So ... it's just that one guy voices multiple roles, not that the characters are actually the same?

That's like saying "Holy crap, Optimus Prime is Eeyore!" and then pursing your lips, brushing your fingers up and down against them and going brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr for an hour.

ss_lemonade

Way way back, a friend of my brother came over the house to play some street fighter 2 on our genesis (CE). For some reason, he and my brother were able to pull out a debug menu with a blue background, a bunch of numbers and text on screen. In the same menu, you could see the names of the 4 new characters in Super Street Fighter 2 (deejay, feilong, cammy, and t hawk). I remember it so vividly, but I have no idea how they did it (sadly, nor did they). Til this day, it still bothers me if I was just imagining things or if that vivid memory was actually just a fuzzy one since I was still a kid back then.

webrunner said:
I posted this in the SMB LTTP thread and figured it might be worth while here:

Super Mario Bros is probably set in a desert or during a drought. All the ground is dry, cracked mud.

http://i.imgur.com/8xHws.png

There's only the occasional
cloud
bush, tree, and hill in the background, but most of the game is barren.

I mean, the ground basically looks the same as the level in Brawl:
http://i.imgur.com/Qh0wT.jpg
and that is supposed to look ancient and deserted.

I personally thought Mushroomy Kingdom was Sakurai's troll of sorts for all the people expecting/demanding a "Classic SMB" stage. Especially that line in the blog about it being ignored for so long... when Nintendo games have celebrated it over and over in the years prior.

thomaser

monlo said:
not mind blowing really but the hole at the top of the pyramid in zelda 3 looks like a chicken

IAKfw.jpg

I always wondered what that mansion in the background is. You know, in front of the sun. It's the roof of a mansion, right? It has a chimney and everything.

Dascu

thomaser said:
I always wondered what that mansion in the background is. You know, in front of the sun. It's the roof of a mansion, right? It has a chimney and everything.
I thought it was Death Mountain. Two peaks with a bridge between them and a tower.

Trike

Here is a few Mega Man Legends/EXE things that I have been meaning to post. If you are familiar with both games you will know that EXE has a lot of Mega Man Legends References. But EXE also took a character from Legends and just redesigned her to make her one of the main characters of the series.

30k3rzk.png

23sdawx.png

Or in this case, just took the same character with no redesign. There are a few other characters like this that are also based on MML characters.

1zh00oj.png

vsonb7.gif

28ri5wo.gif

Also, in Mega Man Battle Network 4 there is a Boktai crossover section if you owned Boktai and two gameboy advances. Django and Otenko are also featured quite prominently. But Hideo Kojima also made an appearance in the game as well.

18j9s9.png

dff77k.png

According to The Cutting Room Floor Kojima also had some text that was cut from the game.

-One day while I was on the Net, a Vampire Navi appeared in front of my Navi. It was terrifyingly powerful, but just when I thought I'd be deleted, Django came to my rescue. I'm not kidding! I have a feeling Django is fighting Vampires even as I talk.
-Django and Otenko are probably on the Net right now battling evil and I'm going to join the fight as well.
-That's it I'm going to write a sequel to Django, the Solar Boy.

Had this of been included in the original Japanese release it would have been the first announcement of Boktai 2, which came out almost eight months later and (iirc) was not announced until around 5 months later.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Lord Ghirahim said:

Old, I guess.

Heh, the other day I noticed that Vaati in the Minish Cap reused the Happy Mask Man's laugh as well. :p

Here is a few Mega Man Legends/EXE things that I have been meaning to post. If you are familiar with both games you will know that EXE has a lot of Mega Man Legends References. But EXE also took a character from Legends and just redesigned her to make her one of the main characters of the series.

Yai's Netnavi, Glyde, is also from Megaman Legends 2 if I recall correctly...he's some kind of giant bird robot there though.

OMT

Dascu said:
I thought it was Death Mountain. Two peaks with a bridge between them and a tower.

You can even see a little nub for Turtle Rock on the right.

Also, Skyward Sword should have a Turtle Rock, and a function where you divebomb from your bird to cause an earthquake that opens the place up. Just sayin'

Myriadis

Not really absolutely mindblowing,but some little nice things about Mario games.

- I guess some people never noticed it,because the only area with Toxic Haze in Super Mario 64 is in the Hazy Maze Labyrinth afair and you rush anyway to avoid dying in this green,toxic haze.However,if you stand there doing nothing,Mario will hold his hands in front of his nose and then he starts coughing.

- Mario Kart 64 can only spawn 100 Objects maximum,or in Hex,0x64.Found here,nice read.Reminds me of that hidden track that plays only in the 64th loop of the Results Theme.

- The Luigis Mansion Title Song is really similar to the Donkey Kong Start Song.

- Underground in SMB is basically Overworld,just a different palette.

I think most people know that already,but it is still nice how another palette of colors can change so much.Good work from that team.

As I said,nothing absolutely mindblowing,but neat little things I like.

Roto13

Well, the Hazy Maze Cave thing is a little mindblowing. I didn't know that. It's kind of an awesome touch for something nobody would do unless they're trying to lose. :p

Professor Beef said:

Here's a photo of DK Jr. with the red "J." Note how it is off to the side and near his armpit.

DonkeyKongJrG%26W.jpg

Now look at the DK Jr. game screen grab. The "J" covers nearly his entire front extending from the neck down to the crotch. Also, the top and bottom of the "J" are WAY longer than in the promotional artwork. Furthermore, it is brown (the typical color of feces), not red.

Untitled-5.jpg

So your argument is that because the J isn't red, and it's not off to the side like in the art shown where DK Jr. is standing sideways away from the viewer, it HAS to be feces?

Gotcha.

Roto13

Professor Beef said:
So your argument is that because the J isn't red, and it's not off to the side like in the art shown where DK Jr. is standing sideways away from the viewer, it HAS to be feces?

Gotcha.
Psst. You're being trolled.

Game devs back in the day werent allowed to put there name in the game, so the guys who made Adventure on Atari 2600 hidden it in there. In the purple level you could walk the block allown the bottom wall and pick up a tiny white block(the key) and walk a couple rooms over and it let you walk through the wall. Into a secret room.

Adventure_Easteregg.PNG

not realizing it, they kind of created the first easter egg and the first secret area in gaming history. they were just trying to put a name in there.

Professor Beef said:

Gotcha.

My argument is that when a baby gorilla is falling to its death, he's more than likely going to release his bowels from fright.

More evidence:

2.gif

Hmmmm...no "J." What would cause a "J" to appear out of nowhere?

Feces.

JazzmanZ

The J stands for JUNIOR.

The only reason it doesn't appear in some of the sprites is probably because you wouldn't tell its a J from a jumping pose and might be confused for fur.

reminder

ElectricBlanketFire said:
My argument is that when a baby gorilla is falling to its death, he's more than likely going to release his bowels from fright.

More evidence:

2.gif

Hmmmm...no "J." What would cause a "J" to appear out of nowhere?

Feces.

Look at the right player. You can see the J and he isn't dying. ;)

I'm sure the observant among you have already realized this, but in Paper Mario for N64, Luigi foreshadows Luigi's Mansion in his diary.

Page 2:

"..........Because you're my secret diary, I'll tell the truth: Yaaaah! I
hate ghosts!! What will I do if it appears at night! Come back, Mario! I'm
scared!
Yikes! I can feel something behind me. Ahhh! I'm sure it's there,
but I can't look back! No! No! Get away! I think I'll be safe if I don't
freeze with fear. I'll just shut my eyes and take five steps back, and then
I'll jump and dash into bed. Here I go!"
Page 7:

"I heard a rumor that I actually have lots of fans. Wow! What great news!
To live up to their expectations, I want to play the lead in an adventure!
Of course, my name would have to be in the title.
That'd be sweet... But I
know it'll never happen..."

Also, the male trainer's hat in Pokemon Black and White is a pokeball when seen from above.
zEQA7.jpg

Diortem7 said:
I just realized that the music from Kirby's Epic Yarn's Mole Hole level was reused in Wii Play Motion's Veggie Guardin' mini game.

Take a listen:

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Mole Hole

Wii Play Motion - Veggie Guardin'

I hope this isn't old news.

Considering the game has been out for just over a month in most parts of the world...
...yeah, I think this is pretty new. Nice find!

Though it's only a matter of time before someone points out the (slight) similarity between that music and a certain tune from SMB3...

Neo Child said:
It's also
really stupid looking

But yeh that LMansion snippet is awesome :D

Thanks! :D

I know you guys are probably tired of "this song sort of sounds like some other song" but I think I actually found a legitimate one.

Mistralton City in Pokemon B&W is based on the Star Trek theme. But not just any old arrangement! It sounds like it's based on this arrangement by my favorite trumpet player, Maynard Ferguson.
First, note the chords used in the melody. You could argue that's a coincidence, I guess, but it's not like those chords are super common or anything.
Then, at about 0:43 in the Pokemon track and 1:18 in the Maynard Ferguson track, listen to how the band hits those notes at the same spots, and then a synthesizer takes over the melody. It's uncanny! The composer clearly must have been thinking of Maynard Ferguson when he wrote this song! All it needs is a killer flute solo and a trumpet playing way up in the stratosphere.

Sorry if this is dumb, I'm trying :(

Roto13

I don't think this has been posted, but I could be wrong. I only noticed it today, after owning a 3DS for a month.

If you go to the home menu and highlight a game or something and blow into the microphone, the 3D splash on the top screen spins around. Keep doing it and it plays a little wooshing sound effect. :p

Clipper

The Awesomest said:
Thanks! :D

I know you guys are probably tired of "this song sort of sounds like some other song" but I think I actually found a legitimate one.

Mistralton City in Pokemon B&W is based on the Star Trek theme. But not just any old arrangement! It sounds like it's based on this arrangement by my favorite trumpet player, Maynard Ferguson.
First, note the chords used in the melody. You could argue that's a coincidence, I guess, but it's not like those chords are super common or anything.
Then, at about 0:43 in the Pokemon track and 1:18 in the Maynard Ferguson track, listen to how the band hits those notes at the same spots, and then a synthesizer takes over the melody. It's uncanny! The composer clearly must have been thinking of Maynard Ferguson when he wrote this song! All it needs is a killer flute solo and a trumpet playing way up in the stratosphere.

Sorry if this is dumb, I'm trying :(
I see what you are going for there. The chord progression is just a standard scale, though, although use of that scale is rather uncommon and hence why the two tracks sound familiar to each other. The songs have completely different patterns of when they rise through the scale and when they fall, and they do share the common theme of pausing on two notes before a run, but that's not too far out there either. The exact point you pick out in the Pokémon track is extremely close to a similar phrase in Star Trek, but given the songs both work off variations of the chord progression on that scale, it is still more likely to be coincidence.

In any case, it is close enough to inspire thoughts of Star Trek, so there is a point to mentioning it, but don't claim that it is definitely inspired by Maynard's cover or any other version of the song as it is much more likely to be coincidence.

Roto13 said:
I don't think this has been posted, but I could be wrong. I only noticed it today, after owning a 3DS for a month.

If you go to the home menu and highlight a game or something and blow into the microphone, the 3D splash on the top screen spins around. Keep doing it and it plays a little wooshing sound effect. :p
When I first got my 3DS, I noticed this effect when I was on the bus (it spins super fast). I thought it was some sort of overclocking bug until I realised it was just the noise which caused it :p.

Leunam

Sneaky Gato said:
This just blew my mind.

http://www.thestrong.org/online-collections/images/Z004/Z00491/Z0049174.jpg[IMG]

Take a look at those three guys in the back. I knew that they looked familer until just recently. Turns out the're pretty much copies of Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader era Space Marines. It's most obvious if you look at the one with the beaked helmet on the left.

[IMG]http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/8/7/126940_sm-Blood%20Angels%2C%20Honour%20Guard%2C%20Rogue%20Trader%2C%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.jpg[IMG]

The one on the left of the Strider pic has the beaked helmet, the wierdly porportioned shoulder pads of the first few minis and the gun is a direct copy of a Bolter. With the one in the middle you can clearly see that the sharp kneecaps are almost a direct copy of the Rouge Trader era minis where they were part of the leg armor and came to a point instead of being seperate and rounded. . The one on the right is carrying what I think is the old version of the Melta or Flamer. All of them have those weird cables on thier body which I think is the most telling sign of where they come from though. I'm not sure but I think the faces are copies though I would have to do a bit of research to prove that.[/QUOTE]

This is really, really cool. Too bad everyone got distracted by that troll.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
I'm quoting myself this, because nobody read it (someone put a big image before and next my post). If this isn't mindblowing, at least tell why.

TyRaNtM said:
I have a little one. If you read the Pokedex description from Steelix in Pokémon Silver/Soul Silver:
It's said that if an ONIX lives for 100 years, its composition becomes diamondlike as it evolves into a STEELIX.

Well, the thing is that the wild Steelixs that you can catch Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver, are indeed wild Onixs that evolved, due that they have more than 100 years.

guerragames said:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NQ3n9pYfL._SS500_.jpg[IMG]

[spoiler]Jesus holding Samus in his hand... Jesus was a Chozo confirmed![/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Looks more like a Piece of Eden. Assassin's Creed was right!

Requeim

This is a small thing, but i never noticed it before now, despite having played through the game so many times.

In Super Mario Brothers 3, if you run into the end area with a full p-meter and jump at the right time you will get a star every time. Everybody knows this, but i had no idea the same thing happens even if you don't run.

If you just hold right at the start of the end zone and walk without stopping and jump as you would when running, it will also get you a star each time. It's also easier in a way, since you don't need to gain momentum and you won't jump too early or late. The only thing potentially screwing this up is when there's enemies in the end zone, but for levels that just pop you up into the endzone from a pipe, it's pretty useful.

Probably old and already somewhere in the thread, but my mind was kind of blown at least.

Top Bottom