• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

totowhoa

Banned
Okay this might not be blowing anyones mind but mine but Kurt Davis who works at Harmonix (whose bands THE KONKS song is on the tutorial of Rock Band) played in such Indiana punk bands as Repellents, Primates and Pee Wee Manslaughter and he also drew this iconic cover of Zero Boys - Vicious Circle LP under the name Yukki Gipe!

ZeroBoys_ViciousCircle_1.jpg

wow.

haha this is pretty awesome. I bet there are many people out there in the industry with random ties to things like this but don't bother mentioning it because it's so niche to most. Where did you hear about this anyway ?

Myriadis

I guess at least some of you have noticed that some platforms in the last Bowser level have Goombas and Koopas as a wall texture. (To be honest, I didn't.)

But did you ever notice the textures on the pillars on the topmost platform of this level?

Nice throwback.

---

And by the way, if you look behind the wall in the castle room that leads to cool, cool mountain (easily done by standing near the wall ,pressing C-Up and rotating the camera) you can see a floating letter. The American version got a F, the European one got a U and the Japanese one got a N. FUN!

Dwayne

Haven't seen this posted, noticed when I was playing Goldeneye all those years ago and looking online it seems like a few others have to:
QLEwi.jpg

Crash Bandicoot style character in a torture rack on the walls of Aztec in Goldeneye. Keeping in mind that Banjo Kazooie came out 8 months or so later, it all makes sense..

jaxword

Ok, I have another Final Fantasy one for you guys. And I know no one's heard of it, because I'm the only person on the internet who's ever posted about it, even on the FFwiki.

FF13 managed to slip a very, very subtle reference back to FF3.

U5OZm.jpg

So Vanille's Eidolon is called Hecatoncheir

Mz5NM.jpg

Here Vanille is defending her girlfriend Fang from it.

Here's Fang's Crystal (rotated slightly):

hmTzys.png

Here is Hecatoncheir's first appearance. He appeared in FF3 (Engrish fan translation, later ones fix the name properly):

kCfph.png

And look what's he's defending:

WadiJ.png

Square-Enix, you clever writers, you slipped a reference that only the most die-hard fans would get. That's on the level of FF8 Hyne with no skin and FF3 Hein who is a skeleton.

So anyways I've posted a LOT of obscure FF facts in this thread....

Would anyone be interested in reading a regular column/blog/thread where I consolidate and talk about these things?

vid

And by the way, if you look behind the wall in the castle room that leads to cool, cool mountain (easily done by standing near the wall ,pressing C-Up and rotating the camera) you can see a floating letter. The American version got a F, the European one got a U and the Japanese one got a N. FUN!
OBJECTION!

This particular bit of trivia has been floating around since 1996, passed around the depths of the official Nintendo community forums. It was false then, too.

The 'letter' in question is actually the trap door that leads to the first Bowser level in the game, and is exactly the same in all three regions. It just appears different based on the angle you move the camera into.

Rich!

OBJECTION!

This particular bit of trivia has been floating around since 1996, passed around the depths of the official Nintendo community forums. It was false then, too.

The 'letter' in question is actually the trap door that leads to the first Bowser level in the game, and is exactly the same in all three regions. It just appears different based on the angle you move the camera into.

Yep, you can see it on VL Tone's SM64 level editor quite clearly too.

Ydahs

Ok, I have another Final Fantasy one for you guys. And I know no one's heard of it, because I'm the only person on the internet who's ever posted about it, even on the FFwiki.

U5OZm.jpg

WadiJ.png

Square-Enix, you clever writers, you slipped a reference that only the most die-hard fans would get. That's on the level of FF8 Hyne with no skin and FF3 Hein who is a skeleton.

Would anyone be interested in reading a regular column/blog/thread where I consolidate and talk about these things?
That's a bloody awesome reference. Good job on picking it up.

Mind = blown

Yes please!

CorvoSol

U5OZm.jpg

Mz5NM.jpg

hmTzys.png

Here is Hecatoncheir's first appearance. He appeared in FF3 (Engrish fan translation, later ones fix the name properly):

kCfph.png

WadiJ.png

I might read it. Isn't most of FF13 a whole plot reference to FF3, though?

MikeOShay

Neo Member
OBJECTION!

THANK YOU. I consider myself a fairly big SM64 buff and the last time this piece of "trivia" was posted, no one corrected the person. By the time I was registered and able to post, it was already a good hundred pages behind so I opted not to bring it up. I was ready to jump on it this time though.

Also, I love how the guy in that screenshot's got 125 stars.

haha this is pretty awesome. I bet there are many people out there in the industry with random ties to things like this but don't bother mentioning it because it's so niche to most. Where did you hear about this anyway ?

We were talking about The Konks on another forum and someone mentioned that one song from them is on Rock Band (I haven't played Rock Band) and then it kinda folded out from there. Quite random, I'd say.

TheYanger

Is that particularly mind blowing? ERGONOMIC SHAPES CONFORM TO THE SAME STANDARDS! might as well show a picture of a ps1 controller and a ps3 controller.

While it's not "mindblowing" or "hidden", I still understand it can surprise people how the nunchuck is basically a little part of the N64 controller. It's on of those "once you see it you can unsee..." things.

Clipper

As with most things in the thread, it's something many may not have noticed. Quite a few people had even detected the Cloudbushes, but that doesn't make it any less mind blowing for those that didn't.

So yeah, fair enough if you've noticed it before on your own, but don't pooh-pooh it just because of that.

Retro

Via one of the banned sites...
xRAg5.jpg

A couple N64 games could utilize dual controllers for a single player (Perfect Dark, for example), so essentially it was like having two Wii Nunchucks.

I feel like this isn't the first time we've looked back at Nintendo hardware and seen the tiny threads of future console concepts being tested either. In theory, one could have predicted the WiiU by looking what DS emulation will require; two screens, one with touch-sensitivity.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's Nintendo's way of future-proofing the Virtual Console to support DS games or if there will be some kind of accessory or console model with a DS cartridge slot later on.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's Nintendo's way of future-proofing the Virtual Console to support DS games or if there will be some kind of accessory or console model with a DS cartridge slot later on.

Stop teasing. I've only been whining about a "DS Player" for 7 years. I even went so far as to try finding one of the developers' TV-out units at E3 to buy, even briefly considered whether I could steal one.

Link1110

In Mega Man X5, in the Crescent Grizzly stage music,mine orchestra hits in the background of the first Parton the song play the melody of the Mega Man X3 password theme.

Peagles

Stop teasing. I've only been whining about a "DS Player" for 7 years. I even went so far as to try finding one of the developers' TV-out units at E3 to buy, even briefly considered whether I could steal one.

I had a chance to buy one once but it was like $800 NZD. I decided it wasn't worth it in the end.

Myriadis

In Super Mario Sunshine, there's a guy who likes to race with you for some shines. He always wears a mask, so you don't see his face. But if you remove his mask, you can actually see his fully textured face:

Does he remind you of someone?

Does this mean I have finally beaten him?

It's been years since I played Sunshine, but if you rerace Il Piantissimo, doesn't he get faster and faster to the point where you can't actually beat him, sort of like the Running Man? I remember something along those lines (and yes, I got all the shines).

U5OZm.jpg

Mz5NM.jpg

hmTzys.png

kCfph.png

WadiJ.png

This is truly mindblowing. And I thought I was impressed to find out that Hecatoncheir was a Magitek Armor in FF13.

EDIT: Hah! I was just looking at Hecatoncheir the Eidolon's page on the Wikia and he's even Earth elemental.

And I would certainly check out such a blog.

Isn't most of FF13 a whole plot reference to FF3, though?
I don't think so, unless I'm missing something. You might be thinking of FF8, where it's strongly possible that it takes place in the distant future of FF3's world.

Top Bottom