• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Quackula

So, did you know that Sony bought a patent from bankrupt Atari for their PS2 design?

I present you: The Atari Falcon 030 Microbox

Microbox1.gif

dsc011704tq.jpg

http://www.atarimuseum.de/microbox.htm

Oh, and here is the patent

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D452688.html

Reminds me of the dental camera that uses the Atari Jaguar casing molds
jaguarhotrod.png

NaviLink

Ok, now THAT is mindblowing.

Why the hell did they buy a patent from Atari for a crappy design ? It's Sony, the guys that designed so much good stuff before... Incredible.

Jay Sosa

So, did you know that Sony bought a patent from bankrupt Atari for their PS2 design?

I present you: The Atari Falcon 030 Microbox

Microbox1.gif

dsc011704tq.jpg

http://www.atarimuseum.de/microbox.htm

Oh, and here is the patent

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D452688.html

/avatarquote.

That explains why the PS2 is Sony's only good looking (stationary) console.

It's Sony, the guys that designed so much good stuff before... Incredible.

lol, yeah look at the PS1 or the PS3.

mclem

It's much better when it's actually true. I was pretty dumb for my age when it came to picking up on even the most thinly veiled subtlety, so my mind was blown when it was revealed that Mario was dreaming the entire time.

Subcon is established as the land of dreams in the manual. But then the manual goes on to imply Mario's entering it while awake, so it's something of a double-bluff!

Edit: In fact, taking the manual at face value: Mario dreamed about dreaming about Subcon, then dreamed about waking up, then dreamed about going on a picnic, then dreamed about entering Subcon. My head hurts.

Edit2: So hang on, does that mean that Subcon^2 is the one that's actually being subjugated? For all we know perhaps Wart is a benevolent ruler in Subcon, but someone in Subcon is dreaming about him being a despot which is what Mario saw in Subcon^2.

Did Mario just exact an undeserved regime change in Subcon?

NaviLink

That explains why the PS2 is Sony's only good looking (stationary) console.

lol, yeah look at the PS1 or the PS3.

You sir are crazy, the PSOne looked great at the time and still does. The PS2 Slim as well.
To take a very recent example, the PS Vita is a glorious looking piece of tech.

And I was talking about Sony as a whole, not just the video game division. The guys that designed MiniDisc and DiscMan players, great looking TV sets, and so on. Which begs the question : why did they bought the patent to that and adapted it for the PS2 ? Guess we'll never know. Lack of time ?

Roto13

Subcon is established as the land of dreams in the manual. But then the manual goes on to imply Mario's entering it while awake, so it's something of a double-bluff!

Edit: In fact, taking the manual at face value: Mario dreamed about dreaming about Subcon, then dreamed about waking up, then dreamed about going on a picnic, then dreamed about entering Subcon. My head hurts.

Edit2: So hang on, does that mean that Subcon^2 is the one that's actually being subjugated? For all we know perhaps Wart is a benevolent ruler in Subcon, but someone in Subcon is dreaming about him being a despot which is what Mario saw in Subcon^2.

Did Mario just exact an undeserved regime change in Subcon?

Marioception

Ydahs

Is the first one from a Devil May Cry game? I realised in one of the early cutscenes from DMC4 there was Arabic text present at one point.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BTQq5BOqIPI#t=1909s

Made a capture:
Xc8Tj.jpg

The old man is lying on something which resembles Arabic scripture and the outer border resembles borders often found on pages of the Quran. Never knew this was common in Capcom games.

Yea, I don't think so
Without a shadow of doubt, I can tell you now that those are not generic door designs.

Nibel

This is big enough for this thread; from Takao's "Glover = Masterhand?" thread:

The origin of Masterhand (?)

Master Hand was in the first Kirby's Dreamland game. Albeit very small role, he was the continue selector. Plus, if you choose no then he does an attack from SSB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7WhZiRqX4I

Shaboom!

Master Hand also makes a cameo in the Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland game over screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0uA74wbdqE

haha, he was also in Amazing Mirror

1:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0CGcN6v_gg

Ydahs

They look similar but there are notable differences still.

There may be modifications, but there's no doubt of where the textures are from. The first one uses the bottom half the design and is mirrored horizontally. The bottom half of the game texture is edited to fit in with the dimensions of the door model and the only major difference is that the large circle no longer contains calligraphy. There's no question about them being linked.

The second one's even more obvious. The only change seems to be the emblem placed in the middle of the door. The calligraphy behind the emblem still matches up, the door pattern is the same and the metal plates at the bottom are identical. Heck, even the reflections on those plates match up in the images, making me think that we're actually looking at the source image Capcom used.

Ydahs

Yep, I was doing some research, USB was invented in 1994, two years after. On the front of that machine is two audio ports, one for in, one for out, and two serial ports. I forgot what the last one is at the bottom.

Either ethernet or phone line I believe.

jarosh

They were slightly edited. But these are unique designs that you won't find anywhere else. Again, do you know what they're from?

Hell, the Madina door texture from the RE4 pic was probably lifted wholesale from that very photo. Even the reflections at the bottom (unique to this photograph because of the specific angle, lighting, time of day when it was shot) are part of the texture of the RE4 door!

EVUaX.jpg

SBzdO.jpg

Mista Koo

Is the first one from a Devil May Cry game? I realised in one of the early cutscenes from DMC4 there was Arabic text present at one point.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BTQq5BOqIPI#t=1909s

The old man is lying on something which resembles Arabic scripture and the outer border resembles borders often found on pages of the Quran. Never knew this was common in Capcom games.
If I'm not mistaken it's from DMC3.

That seems like generic Islamic art, especially given the ones on the roof in the same scene.

Check the scripture in the small circles (left side of the door, the others are mirrored).

Hell, the Madina door texture from the RE4 pic was probably lifted wholesale from that very photo. Even the reflections at the bottom (unique to this photograph because of the specific angle, lighting, time of day when it was shot) are part of the texture of the RE4 door!
I didn't notice that! It just was the first Google Image result for Resident Evil 4 door.

Melchiah

You sir are crazy, the PSOne looked great at the time and still does. The PS2 Slim as well.

And I was talking about Sony as a whole, not just the video game division. The guys that designed MiniDisc and DiscMan players, great looking TV sets, and so on. Which begs the question : why did they bought the patent to that and adapted it for the PS2 ? Guess we'll never know. Lack of time ?

Perhaps their own vision was so close they needed the patent, or take a risk of getting sued? I remember reading an interview at the time of PS2 launch with the chief designer, and he quite clearly told where his inspiration came for the look. Don't remember after 12 years what it was exactly though. EDIT: I think it was partly something about sea/sky (the blue logo & light), and space (the black).

Jay Sosa

The PS1 only looks halfway decent in black and I added stationary because yeah, both the PSP and the Vita look fine. Not gonna argue about their designs in other departments.

That's the main reason I'm so amazed that a company with the track record of Sony can release abominations like the PS1 (the psone is ever uglier) or the PS3. (Of course it's all subjective).

jarosh

Don't think I've seen it in this thread but something I discovered a couple years ago (listen to the first 10 seconds):

Chrono Trigger's Forest theme

Breath of Fire III's Forest theme.

Looks like the composer liked CT !

Also, Earthbound's music was full of nods to real music (mainly from the Beatles). Now I don't know if it's just me, but I see a ressemblance between The Lost Underworld and Montego Bay because of the tuba bass. Is this far-fetched? Starmen.net has a list of the tracks that has those nods, but it doesn't say anything about this track.

That explains why it always looked so old and retro to me. I always said it looked like an old VCR from the 80s or something, and people would get really upset and say it was a modern design, lol.

Gotta stick with your gut sometimes!

That is the EXACT same thoughts I had towards the PS2's design...and now I know why xD

Still, the PS2 does look quite nice. Though I prefer the second Slim's design the most.

OMT

It has MUCH more points when you think about ... destroyed planet, main superpowers being flight, super strenght and laser beams and main rival from said planet being the most obvious ones.

Wearing battle clothing that don't cover the head and that are basicaly only blue and an extreme hot color (red/orange) with an emblem on the chest with one "letter" (S and the kanji for Turtle... with the kanji ALSO being in a yellow background in the pre-Z era) and not being a good "dead person" are the least obvious, i guess

What about Superman getting his power from the yellow sun, and Goku turning into a Oozaru under a full moon?

I dont know if this is news or have been posted before (was news when I found out years ago) But did you guys know in Sonic Adventure 1 for Dreamcast you press start and then I think X&Y together on the second controller then the second player can control tails when playing sonic's story just like in the genesis games.

Trakdown

Okay...this one may or may not be mind blowing just because I'm not sure if it's true.

I was watching a speed run of SSFII Turbo and I noticed something in T. Hawk's stage that looked really familiar.

hawkstage.png

That looks an awful lot like Cody and Jessica from Final Fight. I apologize if this is old and/or not factually accurate (I wasn't able to find any confirmation that it was through google) but it was curious enough that I felt like posting it.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom