• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

It's not a joke. When you enter the last boss' room, you see (a fake) Dr. Wily turning into the alien. But after you defeat it, you see that it was Dr. Wily controlling everything in that dark room. So, this is the only (original series) Megaman game where the last boss is not Dr. Wily. Contrary to popular belief that the last boss has always been Dr. Wily.

In that case, the last boss is never Dr. Wily, since you're always destroying a machine that he created and is controlling rather than the man himself.

Did you know you can use any boring old generic USB PC controller with a PS3?

I play a few of the simpler titles on PS3 with this, and WipEout HD actually, so awesome:

4c9b20a4a0833_137501b.jpg

Platy

Did you know you can use any boring old generic USB PC controller with a PS3?

It needs to be Plug and Play .... the Xbox one needs a special driver .. so it sux.

A friend has a PSX/N64/Saturn to usb adapter and always uses the saturn controller to play Street Fighter 4

It's not a joke. When you enter the last boss' room, you see (a fake) Dr. Wily turning into the alien. But after you defeat it, you see that it was Dr. Wily controlling everything in that dark room. So, this is the only (original series) Megaman game where the last boss is not Dr. Wily. Contrary to popular belief that the last boss has always been Dr. Wily.

I see what you're saying, but the part where you lost me was when you said the fake Dr. Wily was "converted" into the alien. Both the alien and Dr. Wily were part of the same hologram, so it didn't really "convert" into anything--it just displayed what Dr. Wily programmed it to display.

Roq12

Neo Member
I'm starting Vice City for the first time and in the first safehouse, inside Vercetti's hotel room, there's a magazine on a table -- Erse, obviously a play on the UK gaming magazine Edge and the word arse.

But what's on the cover of the magazine? OMG.

Phantasy Star. An actual screenshot of Phantasy Star. Maybe, albeit edited.

iMEFlwRtq4bg5.jpg

(Someone else's image.)

ibqKLKpACj0xpO.png

Phantasy Star actually came out in 1987 in Japan, and wasn't released in the US or Europe till 1988, but still.

IT WAS NICE TO SEE.

..Well it blew my mind, at least.

This post blew my mind more than any else in this thread.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Doom 2 was released the same year Kurt Cobain committed suicide with a shotgun

Doom 2's map "Nirvana" starts with you getting the same weapon
21.gif

Huh. Did the globe twist around or something?

EDIT: No, wait, the GROUND twisted around. It was a true 3D model, so you could approach land masses, islands, etc from different sides. On a flat map the orientation never changes... north is always up, etc. This is true whether it's Mode 7 (where it's still just a flat map, just shown enlarged and at an angle) or whether it's in a tiny little window. It's a flat map, so when you get to the top, the only choice is to warp you back to the bottom unless they want to show the map upside down or something, which would be silly. But when flying around a 3d globe (the ground, not the HUD I mean), the globe is really there... so north isn't always up, the direction you're facing is "up" (or "forward" is probably a better word) and as you turn, the globe rotates.

The SNES games rotated the map when flying too, north being up was only on foot...

As far as I remember the PS games just use a rectangular map which wraps on each axis just like the earlier games. The mini globe is just the map texture mapped on a hemisphere with your position in the middle. It's an illusion along with the faked curvature. The polygons on the mini globe don't even move, only the texture coordinates do.

kai3345

Banned
The DOTA 2 logo is actually a heavily simplified representation of the game map.

The two bases are in either corner and the river in the middle

KIhDM.png

CorvoSol

For the sake of updating what I had earlier said, there are globes in FF4. I hadn't noticed because they're not in each of the 380 versions of the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Link speaks quite a few times. There's the time he finds a mirror under a table in Zelda II which has been pointed out previously in this thread.

I'm pretty sure when he kills that jumping monster in A Link to the Past he is the one saying "Take that!" though one could argue that is the voice of the godly narrator.

However in the first game the phrase "Boy, this sure is expensive" is said by the shopkeeper. It's just a dodgy translation.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
He also says "Come on" to the statue thing in Wind Waker. One of his few spoke phrases.

Oh, and while we are on the topic of Link talking, might as well repost the fact that the Voice Actor of Marth in the 1996 Fire Emblem Anime is the same as they use for link in a number of games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well that YouTube video posted by Talladega Knight was the WindWaker example, I was just adding a bit more info.

Oh, and while we are on the topic of Link talking, might as well repost the fact that the Voice Actor of Marth in the 1996 Fire Emblem Anime is the same as they use for link in a number of games.

No, you've got that mixed up. The voice they use for the Anime, Hikaru Midorikawa, they end up using for Melee/Brawl.

And speaking of obscure Anime -> Video Games

The voice that Capcom gets to voice Ryuuhaku Todo in CVS2 actually voiced "Detective" Todoh in awful Art of Fighting Anime. The late Takeshi Aono who was also known for voicing Dr. Wily.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Kurt died before Doom 2 was released, though. Sounds like a tasteless joke on iD's part.
Well, it's not really mindblowing then. It's just iD being iD.
However, it's a joke that several people didn't realize, and therefore mindblowing.
You know what else is mindblowing?

A shotgun to the head.

I'm sorry.

Het_Nkik

He also says "Come on" to the statue thing in Wind Waker. One of his few spoke phrases.

Hmm, the voice actor for adult Link in OoT and Majora's Mask (Zora/Fiere Diety) is Nobuyuki Hiyama, who was Cain in the 96 Fire Emblem Anime. He also was Link in Soulcalibur II, Smash Bros 1 and 2. I recognized he was Link while playing King of Fighters where he voices Joe Higashi.

The voice actor for Marth in the 96 anime (Hikaru Midorikawa), as far as I can find, only portrayed Link in a Legend of Zelda "sound drama" (either CD or radio show). Though they did get him to voice Marth in Melee and Brawl as well.

EDIT: And Twilight Princess/Brawl/Skyward Sword Link actor hasn't done anything Fire Emblem related as far as I can tell.

Ithil

Kurt died before Doom 2 was released, though. Sounds like a tasteless joke on iD's part.

id have never been very concerned with being politically correct or "tasteful" about jokes, though. Especially in the early days when the company was about 10 guys fresh out of college.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Isn't that a Keyblade-styled key?

Although, here's something that blew my mind I learned from Kingdom Hearts' wiki...the character of Louie from the Jungle Book is actually "banned" due to his VA's family upset with Jim Cummings impersonating him in Talespin so Louie can't be used, explaining his absence in the sequel and likely the reason the Jungle Book level was cut from Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep.

mclem

21.gif

To be fair, though, *many* doom maps give you a shotgun early on. I'd be happy to consider it a coincidence.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

same year, as stated

and yes indeed it's a tasteless joke

FFUUUUUU at Mario/SI thing!

one interesting tidbit about the Manta level in SMS:
images

At the end of "The Shining", when Dick Halloran, Danny and Wendy are running from the flaming hotel, Dick notices, 'a ghostly manta shape, floating away over the hotel. It was paper thin, like a shadow, and then broke into smaller forms before turning into smoke and drifting away'. This seems too close to be mere coincidence

(thanks to the one who found this, Steven LeBlanc)

RagnarokX

So I was looking at my keys...

when I noticed....

How could you NOT notice?

http://images.wikia.com/kingdomhearts/images/d/d0/Kh2logo0.jpg

one interesting tidbit about the Manta level in SMS:
images

At the end of "The Shining", when Dick Halloran, Danny and Wendy are running from the flaming hotel, Dick notices, 'a ghostly manta shape, floating away over the hotel. It was paper thin, like a shadow, and then broke into smaller forms before turning into smoke and drifting away'. This seems too close to be mere coincidence

(thanks to the one who found this, Steven LeBlanc)

This is the best one in a while. Here's the actual paragraph:
R4Oa0.jpg

Nothing about it being paper thin, but it is described as being like smoke or a giant swatch of wallpaper.

Top Bottom