• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

3phemeral

Hellraizah said:
Listen to this video from 1:00 to 1:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmLhO7gBaY

Then, listen to this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0wUCa-IwJc

Never noticed that one. Here's another:

Muse - Bliss

Top Gear (SNES)

Relaxed Muscle said:
28wcog.gif

vrx3s2.gif

2a6wpkx.jpg

The plot thickens.....
Damn, I never noticed those at all. There has to be a small story about these, no?

[edit] I guess it is the Mars face. I didn't realized the images were from the 1976 Viking Orbiter mission.

batbeg

Uh... right next to Cecil in the first picture, and right next to the sub in the second. It's pretty easy to see :D

Slavik81

Rlan said:
I always said "Diddy's KongQuest" as "Diddy Kong's Quest"
I'm terrible with word games and things like that. It's been five years since I was introduced to covalent bonding, and it was only today that I suddenly realized that it was called that because they share valence electrons.

Slavik81 said:
I'm terrible with word games and things like that. It's been five years since I was introduced to covalent bonding, and it was only today that I suddenly realized that it was called that because they share valence electrons.

:O I didn't know this until now.

I found out last year that H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) is called so because it's literally a hydrogen per oxygen. (H O, H O)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This may be widely known but I was pleasantly surprised as a fan: in Killer7, all the notes you get are named after songs of The Smiths

EverSoTrendy said:
Krystal is a great character design. For furry art, she's pretty much the best looking you can get.

I hate to admit it, but I basically agree. I somewhat believe the hate she gets stems from insecurity. :lol

... not that I'm into that sort of thing.

The Hermit

Lynnfire said:
Donkey_Kong_Country_2_Diddys_Kong_Q.gif

Donkey Kong Country 2 : Diddy's Kong Quest

(Diddy's Conquest)

My jaw dropped to the floor when I found this out many years after I first played and loved the game. I was completely oblivious to the pun.

I didn't knew about Miles (I though his name was Miler Power instead of Prower), but this one was quite obvious for me though...

MikeOxbig

Not sure if this is obvious to everyone, but the Gamecube logo is a cube within a cube but is also the abbreviation, a purple G and black C.
Game-cube-logo.jpg

Pezking

I just posted this in the "Lego"-Thread, but I think it fits even better in this Thread:

"Animal Crossing" is a blatant rip-off of Lego's "Fabuland":

fabu_3_10.JPG
Edward-2.jpg

529927078_a16de0d656.jpg

TJ Spyke said:
That is just a rumor. No official source ever said that (coloring books aren't official sources, the company that made the book would have licensed it from Nintendo).

All of the Koopa kids are named after famous people. What other famous people are named Morton ____, Jr.?

emilio

SMB cloudbush / Diddy's Conquest = mind blown = thread subscribed

I remember being pretty amazed when entering "Sega" or "Sonic" as a name in Uniracers and getting the message "Not cool enough".
uniracers.gif

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Oh yes, and Bomberman and Lode Runner being the same character... it's good that Bomberman is represented on XBLA, and Lode Runner is coming soon, amirite??? :D

Lobster

Banned
emilio said:
SMB cloudbush / Diddy's Conquest = mind blown = thread subscribed

I remember being pretty amazed when entering "Sega" or "Sonic" as a name in Uniracers and getting the message "Not cool enough".
uniracers.gif
:lol

birdman

hteng said:
ok wtf, i totally missed that one

is it me or does all 2D fighters will always have a "you know what" character

It's because Japanese game makers love to make their fanbase wash their eyes out with bleach.

Dali

The number of people that didn't catch Diddy's "conquest" is really surprising me.

How about Space Channel 5's Ulala is [technically] Lady Miss Kier from Deee-lite. I say "technically" because after Sega used her likeness without her permission she sued and, somehow, lost her lawsuit. So a court of law doesn't see Ulala as a rip-off, because the designers claimed to have been unaware of Lady Miss Kier, but watching the comparison that is obviously LIZE!

comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pyI75Wd8ug

2s0cqi0.jpg

Some Sonic 3 music may have been done by Michael Jackson and at the very least was heavily influenced by him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pyI75Wd8ug

jaypah

Bourbon Cowboy said:
Pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned but Mr. Driller (Susumu Hori's) father is actually Taizo Hori the star of Dig Dug.

Wikipic

yup, i found that out a while back and that's what made me try the game.

Dali

gdt5016 said:
Neither do I.
Poison (top pic) is a dude. he started out as one of the enemies in Final Fight. I think the story is he is post-op in America, but in Japan he's all (mostly) man. I'm guessing the second pic is supposed to look like a women, so we are supposed to think it's a women, but actually be fooled because it's a man. However, I'm used to Japanese character design enough to spot that one.

kinn

twinturbo2 said:
Allright, found a big-ass pic. Take a close look at the pendant she's wearing.
Talim_sc2.jpg

Did I just BLOW YOUR MIND??? :D

Doesn't one of the characters in Zelda OoT/MM have like a Bowser emblem/badge? The owner of Lon Lon ranch (i.e. the dude who looks a little like Mario)

My contribution: Sonic is already in an RPG. Game was on the Megadrive called Soliel I think (called something else in USA). He made a cameo in it.

Thread is amazing. Mind blown about Mario clouds, Miles per hour and Diddy conquest thingy.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
-Hyrule in Zelda 1 was based on an upside-down and mirrored image of Washington state
-Koei's first few games were adult rated Japanese PC software
-The creator of the classic PC game M.U.L.E., Dan (now Dani) Bunten had sex-change surgery in the mid 90's.

Dali said:
Poison (top pic) is a dude. he started out as one of the enemies in Final Fight. I think the story is he is post-op in America, but in Japan he's all (mostly) man. I'm guessing the second pic is supposed to look like a women, so we are supposed to think it's a women, but actually be fooled because it's a man. However, I'm used to Japanese character design enough to spot that one.

then .. yes that blow my mind .. eww

Wizpig

Best.
Gaf.
Thread.
of.
the.
well, month, maybe?

This is awesome!
Rare always put sexual puns like in Banjo-Tooie or DKCountry 2...

Oneself

Awesome discovery about DOOM's music. Stolen from Neogaf ;P

Devil May Cry was a Resident Evil game at first. The "air" combat and juggles etc. started because of a bug in Onimusha (if I remember correctly).

At the start of God of War, Jaffe first wanted to have an annoying fairy, à la Zelda, that would have explained the game's mechanics in the first level. Kratos would have violently killed that fairy before the end of the level.

MK: Shaolin Monks started out as an SCEA game. They built the engine and had a game running called something like Shaolin Monks, I can't remember the exact name, but there was "Monks" in the title. The game wasn't good enough and they sold the code etc. to the team that created MK:SM. Lots of the animations done for the earlier game can be seen in MK:SM as well as some graphic elements and probably some backgrounds etc.

MikeOxbig

This is likely old news for most of you, but if not, Kazumi Totaka, the music composer, hides a 19-note secret song deep in the Nintendo games that he's composed. The following list of games are those confirmed to have the song. Search "Totaka's Song" on Wikipedia for more. Wikipedia has links to youtubes video that show its occurrence in a bunch of games.

* Animal Forest
* Animal Crossing (K.K. Song)
* Animal Crossing e-Reader cards (#P15, "Boy," "Who's Dunnit?")
* Animal Crossing: Wild World (K.K. Song)
* Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru
* The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening / DX*
* Luigi's Mansion
* Mario Artist: Talent Studio
* Mario Paint
* Pikmin 2
* Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
* Virtual Boy Wario Land
* X
* Yoshi's Story
* Yoshi Touch & Go

Oneself said:
At the start of God of War, Jaffe first wanted to have an annoying fairy, à la Zelda, that would have explained the game's mechanics in the first level. Kratos would have violently killed that fairy before the end of the level.
Shame they got rid of that idea :lol

Would have been even more awesome if it said "Hey Listen!"

a Master Ninja said:
Yep. You stare at anything long enough you can find a "secret message" in them, whether it's a Snapple bottle or a dollar bill. Heck, I bet if you looked long enough at some Mario boxart you could find a secret message.

exactly...

2qm2e75.jpg

Lots of secrets and production notes (also a commentary on MGS3 by Kojima) about the Metal Gear Series can be found here. Some excerpts:

The very first concept of Raiden envisioned by Character Designer Shinkawa Yoji was a Spiderman-like character, who crawls on the floor on all fours in Spiderman-like motion. And his personality was that of a creep or a weirdo, who licked bird doodoo.
This idea was rejected by Kojima immediately.

The Big Shell was called the "Big Blue Apple" until very late into production.

Kojima got the idea that every main character in MGS2 lies at least once, or betrays and changes sides at least once from the movie "LA Confidential".

All the areas inside Arsenal Gear being named after parts of the digestive system is inspired by Pinnochio, where Pinnochio is swallowed by a giant whale, just like how Raiden is swallowed by the giant Arsenal Gear.

Vamp's chest hair was originally designed as actual hair graphics, and CG models were even completed of Vamp in actual chest hair. But because of the superier graphical abilities of the PS2 engine, the realistic chest hairs were deemed too realistic and bordering on disgusting, it was in the end decided that the chest hair will be represented by a dark colored texture exterior instead.

The Hermit

djtiesto said:
-Hyrule in Zelda 1 was based on an upside-down and mirrored image of Washington state
-Koei's first few games were adult rated Japanese PC software
-The creator of the classic PC game M.U.L.E., Dan (now Dani) Bunten had sex-change surgery in the mid 90's.

o_O whu?

gdt

Dali said:

Crap! Guess I gotta put the snake back in the cage...

Top Bottom