• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame rumours that fooled you

we all had that experience, weither we watch a youtube video or hear rumors on a playground, or read something in a website, tricking us to believe how to unlock a hidden character or something, it happened to me aswell back in the not-so early but still early days of Youtube (pre-2015)

the video claimed to have found a unused song from Sonic CD, including some convincing mockups of what the stage looked like, i knew the mockups were fake but i tought the music was real. then i found it was actually the song Take It! by Alex Lee.

funnily enough i wasn't easily tricked back then by the many "L is Real" or "PokeGod" style rumors, i was tricked because it was of a supposed leak of a supposed unused thing, wich is way more common nowdays most of the time being real like with the Nintendo Megaleak, then i found out it was an obscure House song, and now im thankful of hearing about it.

so here i am listening to it and it remembered the story, wich inspired me to make this post, weither it's thinking Luigi was unlockable in Mario 64 or that super secret Charizard evolution, what were your stories with this kind of stuff?

honestly this thread was just an excuse to share the story AND the song tbh.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Sheng Long:

aojkj2zflrdtrldnldfc.jpg

egm-sheng-long.jpg

images

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The mew under the truck thing in pokemon red. My mate was adament he found it but he had no poke balls to catch it.
I did try it, even when it was widely known that it wouldn’t work. I was just that stubborn. Or curious. Or deluded, dunno.

Funny thing is, the Route 8/Route 24 glitch to catch Mew is much simpler to do than that mess with the SS Anne truck.

I did try it, even when it was widely known that it wouldn’t work. I was just that stubborn. Or curious. Or deluded, dunno.

Funny thing is, the Route 8/Route 24 glitch to catch Mew is much simpler to do than that mess with the SS Anne truck.
I didn't even know about that method! Just googled it lol.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I remember it was April 1st but I was a big FF and DDR fan at the time, and the defunct GIA website had an article about a DDR Final Fantasy game. I was pumped.

I think the next year I was fooled about news of a FFIX PC port.

UnNamed

Banned
Back in the day, maybe 1990 or 1991, there was a rumor on a Saint Seya game developed for Megadrive. Saint Seya was huge in the '90 especially in Italy and France, I loved it, so reading this rumor in a videogame magazine was amazing. In the end, it was just an hoax. My brother still thought it was real and one day he asked to me to download the rom to play with the MD emulator.

IkarugaDE

The mew under the truck thing in pokemon red. My mate was adament he found it but he had no poke balls to catch it.

I fell for that too.
Funnily enough, I can tell the story further. There were a lot of strange Pokemon rumors around (Marill, Mewthree, all this nonsense). Everytime you had to do strange things, for example: put Pokemon XX in the pension until it reaches level 100 (or above), train Pokemon YY up to level 100 without candies, ...

After I unfortunately believed a lot of it at the beginning, at some point I got smarter and said to myself "I will never believe such bullshit again".

A few years later there was a new guide on how to catch Mew. And again it was such a bullshit guide: Fight against a trainer who has a slowpoke, then fly to route 8, fly away from a trainer who wants to fight, fly to lavander town, go to the left, the menu opens automatically and Mew appears.

So I thought "HA! You idiots won't get me this time!".

......until I realized it really worked.

I remember a little while after Twilight Princess came out somebody made this fake “preview” for the next Zelda game saying it was going to be futuristic. I was like 15 or something at the time and totally bought it. In my defense I think it was actually posted on Gametrailers so it seemed more legit.

Last edited:

Zephir

Something about having a replica Masamune from Gold Saucer, sticking it into the cat in Wall Market, being level 99 and Zack would join the party at the Northen Crater
Or having all the Toy Soldier for a Sephiroth clone
Or a secret Weapon boss that was hidden in the mountains
Or saving Aerith by being lvl99 before "the thing"

These things were shared in gaming magazines at the time, so they HAD to be true, right?

TheMan

Shaq being in the OG nba jam
Enter the code LSU- nope. I remember being so excited to get home and try that after a classmate told me about it.

Last edited:

Skyfox

The metroid prime 4 logo reveal fooled most people. I knew before the logo even coalesced that it was bull.

Should be illegal to promote a console with software that doesnt exist.

Top Bottom