• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame rumours that fooled you

BlakeofT

hoaxes-dos-games---sonic-em-smash-bros-melee-1427842565951_450x253.jpg

This shit from EGM.

Spent months trying to get to that 20 mark before I heard it was fake.
This is the biggest one for me. It really pissed me off because it was an April Fool's prank, but my friend had the issue in February, a whole month early! Fortunately I only spent about 15 minutes trying before my brother told me it was fake.

CRAIG667

Super Mario World.

There was a rumour back in high school that if you let yourself sink to the bottom on the 2nd half of the pirate ship.level you would unlock the super secretest ever Mario level EVER.

Thing was you had to let yourself sink directly in the middle and there was no way of knowing if you were close or not... I must have tried this around 1000 times! 😭🤣

skit_data

Pokémon Snap being freeroam and including all 151 Pokémon. A kid in my class was so convincing talking about it.

It was like expecting Counter-Strike and getting Virtua Cop

Being able to catch celebi in the forest on pokemon silver/gold/crystal.

Being young and really into pokemon crystal as a child, I spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to find a celebi.
what's this? i thought you could catch Celebi there. i definitely remember catching one there but i can't remember how i done it.

reading up on it apparently you needed the GS Ball and had to give it to Kurt then you go into the forest to fight Celebi. i did that but maybe I used a glitch/gameshark to get a GS Ball. i definitely had Celebi though and this was way back when Crystal came out.

anthony2690

Banned
what's this? i thought you could catch Celebi there. i definitely remember catching one there but i can't remember how i done it.

reading up on it apparently you needed the GS Ball and had to give it to Kurt then you go into the forest to fight Celebi. i did that but maybe I used a glitch/gameshark to get a GS Ball. i definitely had Celebi though and this was way back when Crystal came out.
It was not possible at all.

There was many rumors all over the net or from friends at school about the shrine in the forest.

Celebi was only available during events for people living in Japan.

Pretty fun, looking back on though, as things like this are not really myth anymore with video games, as you can usually debunk stuff instantly online as Internet is more widespread etc

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In an old EGM or Gamefan or Gamepro rumour section, they said a sequel to Contra III for SNES is in the works that's 24-meg.

Nada.

The metroid prime 4 logo reveal fooled most people. I knew before the logo even coalesced that it was bull.

Should be illegal to promote a console with software that doesnt exist.
i mean, it's possible it's real, but it's just that their still in development hell and didn't advance enough to show anything, or maybe straight up cancelled it without announcing it, it happened before.

I fell for one a long time ago, I think it was in an issue of either the PC Gamer or PC Format magazines.

It said if you performed a series of actions in Hexen you could access a hidden demo of the much anticipated Quake.

Stupidly tried to get it to work many times and was really dismayed. I don't even remember when it was that I finally realized it was apparently an April Fool's hoax.

Years back, gamerant posted an article announcing KOTOR 3... on April 1st. Not a rumor, but it fooled me alright. I told everyone I knew in excitement. Now I don’t believe any announcements.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
When I was a kid I thought that games like Mad Dog McCree were more interactive rather than being movies with different versions depending on a hit or a miss. In fact two reviews I've read in local magazines told they were "proper" games. I'm glad I didn't even have a PC at the time, because that would've been a colossal disappointment.

pOLA3Gj.jpg

Manji Uzuki

Soon after Sega went 3rd party there was a spanish gaming magazine which claimed they saw a PS2 version of Shenmue. Totally believed that back then

lucius

Metroid Prime Trilogy releasing on Switch, some were saying it was done and maybe it is but still nothing for years.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Neighborhood bully told me he had a code for Aladdin that unlocked a hidden scene of Aladdin and princess getting it on. He would give me a copy for $5, so I ran home and scrounged up a bunch of change and paid up. I was disappointed to say the least. I was a dumb 7 year old for sure.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Also this. I remember seeing this in a gaming magazine at the grocery store and I could not get home fast enough. Spent hours that night past my bedtime trying to get onto that fucking statue thing. I remember the editor even noted that they weren't able to get it to work.

SuperGooey

we all had that experience, weither we watch a youtube video or hear rumors on a playground, or read something in a website, tricking us to believe how to unlock a hidden character or something, it happened to me aswell back in the not-so early but still early days of Youtube (pre-2015)

the video claimed to have found a unused song from Sonic CD, including some convincing mockups of what the stage looked like, i knew the mockups were fake but i tought the music was real. then i found it was actually the song Take It! by Alex Lee.

funnily enough i wasn't easily tricked back then by the many "L is Real" or "PokeGod" style rumors, i was tricked because it was of a supposed leak of a supposed unused thing, wich is way more common nowdays most of the time being real like with the Nintendo Megaleak, then i found out it was an obscure House song, and now im thankful of hearing about it.

so here i am listening to it and it remembered the story, wich inspired me to make this post, weither it's thinking Luigi was unlockable in Mario 64 or that super secret Charizard evolution, what were your stories with this kind of stuff?

honestly this thread was just an excuse to share the story AND the song tbh.

Now that's a fucking JAM

OOOOHHhhhhh...

I think I got one.

Back in the very early PS2 days, there was an incredibly dumb rumor that the PS2 was going to have a hardware plugin. Think all the crazy bullshit accessories you could slap into a Sega Genesis. You'd do this by utilizing the hard drive expansion bay in the rear of the console. This magical piece of hardware would contain a second Emotion Engine tm, thus allowing future PS2 games to have cRAzY GRaPhics. I think I first read this rumor on an old-ass geo cities era site called PS2City. Anyone else ever heard of that rumor, or have been to that same website for that matter?

Last edited:
Top Bottom