• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame Top Secret Info Line

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I just bought a PS2 and the Xenosaga games off Ebay. While looking through one of the booklets I came across this:

B0jWvrb.jpg

I don't remember these actually being a thing. Did people actually pay $1.25/minute to talk to someone about "top secret info"?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The most surprising thing about this is that it was still a thing apparently well into the PS2 era.

These were huge back in the NES days (Nintendo even had their own "game counselors") but kinda fell out of favor when the internet became a thing.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
OP ask them who has the best thighs Pyra or Brighid

Vawn

Banned
I just bought a PS2 and the Xenosaga games off Ebay. While looking through one of the booklets I came across this:

B0jWvrb.jpg

I don't remember these actually being a thing. Did people actually pay $1.25/minute to talk to someone about "top secret info"?

I remember it all too well, but not as late as PS2 era.

In the NES and SNES days, we didn't have the luxury of googling help when we were stuck. And often games at the time had parts that were next to impossible to figure out without assistance.

I had to use much of my hard earned kid money to pay to call these hotlines, or just accept I had to quit progressing in my game until the answer was revealed by a friend or a later gaming magazine.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The most surprising thing about this is that it was still a thing apparently well into the PS2 era.

These were huge back in the NES days (Nintendo even had their own "game counselors") but kinda fell out of favor when the internet became a thing.

Agreed! This is a 2001 game.

Y2H

I remember seeing plenty of these in PS1 and PS2 booklets, never bothered to call any of them though. I wasn't going to pay money for that when I could just ask my friends for help or borrow one of their cheat books.

Chinbo37

The Nintendo one back in the day wasnt a charged call, it was just a long distance call to Washington state where Nintendo is.

I would beg my mom to let me call when I was younger when I was stuck in certain games. I specifically remember calling for Link to the Past.

kischine

I remember calling a Nintendo line here, back when I was playing Zelda Oracles when it had just came out. I was having trouble in one of the first temples, after the guy told me what to do I felt so fucking stupid and embarrassed, never called again hahaha...

Shifty

"Price subject to change without notice" sounds proper sketchy in retrospect.

I remember calling a Nintendo line here, back when I was playing Zelda Oracles when it had just came out. I was having trouble in one of the first temples, after the guy told me what to do I felt so fucking stupid and embarrassed, never called again hahaha...
Same, only with Link's Awakening instead. Some obtuse puzzle where you had to kill enemies in a specific room in a specific order, and kid me didn't riddle so well.

Top Bottom