• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGameDunkey Reviews Kingdom Hearts 3

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If youre making 70% of the game full of cameos then yes, knowing the source material is kinda needed, otherwise why should I care about any of the characters or events happening in those worlds? There is no explanation to any of them, just the generic 'OH! Youre new here? No time to explain , lets kill the heartless and save the day'! in every world you visit. Its not that important to know everything about these movies, but it definitely increases the value if you know the sources.

Not really, dude. The characters don't need to be explained to still be enjoyable and fun to interact with. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the motivations and issues going on with Olympus, Frozen, or Big Hero 6 just to name a few - even if you never watched those films. Hades summons titans to take over the cosmos, Hercules needs help to save the citizens and stop hades from destroying the gods. Queen of the region runs away with magical ice powers that she can't control, you try to help but are stopped and meet her sister who you join in an attempt to save their kingdom. A super hero team needs help to figure out how to fight heartless and save an old friend who was lost in a previous battle.

If Kids can figure this shit out, then you can. I believe in you.

I don't understand why you need to get "angry" or "annoyed" at other people liking the game you personally don't like? Again it kind messed up to me.

The entire thread seems predicated on shitting on the game from people who weren't expecting anything good to begin with. I am just gonna bow out of it as it doesn't seem like it will go anywhere.

Hobbesian

Banned
I don't understand why you need to get "angry" or "annoyed" at other people liking the game you personally don't like? Again it kind messed up to me.
It’s not that they like the game that annoys. It’s the opinion that it’s “good” to most people that like it. This isn’t hard to understand. Don’t act like you don’t find certain opinions people hold about things at least annoying.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s not that they like the game that annoys. It’s the opinion that it’s “good” to most people that like it. This isn’t hard to understand. Don’t act like you don’t find certain opinions about people hold things at least annoying.
It might not be good game for you it is for others. People have different taste, who knew. And no it doesn't bother me people like thing I don't like, people are free to enjoy what they want to enjoy. You are no different that person who finds DMCV gameplay as "outdated" just because that person personally didn't like the game.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
Seems right to me. A good to great game with flaws that prevent it from being amazing. Since you didn't like the game, the reviews are wrong or paid for, right?

What? Where did I say that I didn’t like the game? I didn’t even play it yet. Still busy with octopath traveler. Amazing game btw.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
So.....you get angry people liking the game you personally don't like? Thats kind of fucked up don't you think?
You’re the one constantly mentioning how you don’t like RDR2 and complaining about Japanese games getting unfairly ignored in favor of western ones. So don’t even try to pretend like you’re above this sort of sentiment.

Hobbesian

Banned
It might not be good game for you it is for others. People have different taste, who knew. And no it doesn't bother me people like thing I don't like, people are free to enjoy what they want to enjoy. You are no different that person who finds DMCV gameplay as "outdated" just because that person personally didn't like the game.

*sigh*

This is were the needle starts to inch away from the "annoyed" part of the spectrum because now you're going to make me type a lot more.

The problem is that people like you identify way too strongly with video game products, so you can't let criticisms of your taste in things slide. This shit is just not that serious.

No, this isn't like those severely asinine hot takes posted about the DMC V demo in the other thread. I'm posting reasons why I think Kingdom Hearts as it currently stands is bad, and why these are valid criticisms. The criticisms are not vacuous. The game is fairly easy, the story is convoluted in a sense that mostly dedicated fans can find understandable, the voice acting and dialogue are of low quality, the pacing of the gameplay is choppy, the themes are hamfisted. These are fairly consensual substantiated facts regarding KH3, and it's up to the beholder whether they want to overlook these flaws or not - or even see them as flaws at all. But the point is that these are valid criticisms of the game. I'm not in the OT just saying "I don't like thing, thing is just bad" and taking my ball and going home. This is a thread essentially dedicated to criticisms of the game.

The DMC V demo thread has people making claims that they cannot substantiate such as "this game isn't innovating", "the gameplay doesn't have depth/or its depth is '"overhyped'". Those are vacuous comments that are easily criticizable. Your'e free to feel that way about the game, but if you're going to express that opinion, it needs to be substantiated with something other than "It just feels outdated because I don't like the camera and the enemies just stand around" if you want it to escape criticisms from people that are fans of the series.

And I actually do agree that certain aspects of DMC V are outdated - the loading of different areas and invisible walls invoke some of the worst aspects of the PS2 era. I openly granted those people that much charity. I also think the demo is terrible for selling the game to the average person (I don't think the game will sell well partially due to this demo). Had they mentioned criticisms like that, and simply said "I don't like this game/demo": that would be completely unassailable. But they couldn't recognize that charity. Being directly told their opinions were bad caused them to dig in their heels to salvage their brittle ego. You can't substantiate the idea that DMCV at large is "outdated". That's the difference.

The thing is that you can admit that a thing you like has bad qualities or is generally bad by the prevailing standards of the time and still enjoy them, but most gamers lack the capacity to do this due to wrapping up their identities so tightly with the video games that they like. Be better. Stop doing this.

Last edited:

Verdanth

KH3 is not for everybody, and in this case clearly not for Dunkey. Gotta respect his point of view.

The game is made in a pure fan service way.

Being a fan of the series, I really liked the game, and can't wait to see what comes next.

Nomura give me that DLC and Critical mode now.

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
I'm definitely willing to give the game a shot if I hear good things about Critical Mode. Not writing off the game completely.

zeorhymer

The gameplay, graphics and sound are absolutely top notch. The story is absolutely garbage. Even after the prologue where they even put KH2.9 was an acknowledgement on how the story was so ridiculous. They had to force feed you the story because it was so scattered and was so long ago that no one remembers. I absolutely do not want Nomura to many multiverse type games. And Square was surprised that Octopath Traveller and Bravely Default sold well. Duh, it wasn't some game spanning epic that no one will follow 10 years from now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
@ H Hobbesian : I'm not saying you shouldn't criticize the games, criticize all you want but why should it bother you other people praise the game? Every game has its own flaws, it might turn off some but not others.
Like you said "This shit is just not that serious" so let people enjoy what they want and the "positivity surrounding this game" shouldn't really bother you.

You’re the one constantly mentioning how you don’t like RDR2 and complaining about Japanese games getting unfairly ignored in favor of western ones. So don’t even try to pretend like you’re above this sort of sentiment.
Yeah I don't like RDR2 but you don't see me calling the "overrated" or "overhype" and get annoyed from people praising the game and yes, I get sad when games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 doesn't get attention it deserves.

Hobbesian

Banned
I've explained myself already.

Why does it bother you that it annoys me Danjin44 Danjin44 ? Really, be honest with yourself about it.

Sometimes the way people think annoy me. It's not a big deal, but sometimes it just does and this is an unavoidable part of the modern human experience. You wouldn't ask me why I'd be annoyed by the way Flat Earthers, theists, or people that neglect their health and fitness goals, think. And just because these ways of thinking annoy me, I don't express hate for them or talk shit about them.

The only reason why this particular slight annoyance bothers you so much is that it involves you and your particular identity. Me being annoyed by some people liking Kingdom Hearts should not stop you from enjoying Kingdom Hearts, the same way the fact that I still enjoy Super Smash Bros. Melee more than any other Smash game which annoys a lot of Smash fans but it doesn't stop me from not caring about what they think or how they feel (until they start making bad claims about why I shouldn't like Melee more than the more recent games on open forums, of course).

Last edited:

Raynes

You never go full anime.

53952.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

shark sandwich

Just wanna say, it really warms my heart seeing the usual JRPG white knights feigning outrage and telling us how “sad” we are for making fun of a bad game story.

That’s like the cheapest and least effective way I’ve ever seen someone try to silence criticism.

Last edited:
There's a fun game there if you just ignore the cutscenes and enjoy the fun combat and nice visuals:
Every 15 min it's going to be this though:

So maybe pick up a year or so from now when it's cheap?

2Dkr0fI.gif

To be fair the gameplay looks varied and fun and the visuals are nice. But this looks like a try much later for reduced price game.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

I've explained myself already.

Why does it bother you that it annoys me Danjin44 Danjin44 ? Really, be honest with yourself about it.

Sometimes the way people think annoy me. It's not a big deal, but sometimes it just does and this is an unavoidable part of the modern human experience. You wouldn't ask me why I'd be annoyed by the way Flat Earthers, theists, or people that neglect their health and fitness goals, think. And just because these ways of thinking annoy me, I don't express hate for them or talk shit about them.

The only reason why this particular slight annoyance bothers you so much is that it involves you and your particular identity. Me being annoyed by some people liking Kingdom Hearts should not stop you from enjoying Kingdom Hearts, the same way the fact that I still enjoy Super Smash Bros. Melee more than any other Smash game which annoys a lot of Smash fans but it doesn't stop me from not caring about what they think or how they feel (until they start making bad claims about why I shouldn't like Melee more than the more recent games on open forums, of course).
That Danjin guy is the hypocrite, trying to be nice but always criticize people who hate the thing he like.

Imagine taking dunkey's reviews seriously. The dude's playing a character and tries to sound like an African-American. I can never take him seriously and neither should KH Fans.

REJOICE THAT WE GOT A THIRD INSTALLMENT! REJOICE AND MOVE PAST THE HATE!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not sure why gamers expect KH games to be cohesive, chock full of awesome gameplay, or have complex dialogue.

The game is geared to kids. Guys...... it's cutesy Disney and Square characters rolled up into a bubbly RPG. It's not exactly Bloodborne or Grimlock.

TLZ

Banned
This dude talks funny.

Not sure why gamers expect KH games to be cohesive, chock full of awesome gameplay, or have complex dialogue.

The game is geared to kids. Guys...... it's cutesy Disney and Square characters rolled up into a bubbly RPG. It's not exactly Bloodborne or Grimlock.
Because some gamers take games too seriously.

hecatomb

Banned
pretty sure the people who like kingdom hearts aren't going to change their mind by some no name reviewer that no one cares about. Also I don't like fortnite but I'm not going to make a thread about it. Not sure what the point of this thread is though, since you aren't going to change anyones mind via internet.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
pretty sure the people who like kingdom hearts aren't going to change their mind by some no name reviewer that no one cares about. Also I don't like fortnite but I'm not going to make a thread about it. Not sure what the point of this thread is though, since you aren't going to change anyones mind via internet.

It is literally just a thread for people to hate on the game.

Hobbesian

Banned
No way you could actually believe this thread is about "changing anyone's mind". The Backfire Effect is strongest on the internet where people can't empathize with their opponent.

hecatomb

Banned
No way you could actually believe this thread is about "changing anyone's mind". The Backfire Effect is strongest on the internet where people can't empathize with their opponent.
if a person thinks a game is good, you aren't going to change their mind. No matter how much you rant. I mean I could make a thread about how bad Fortnite, Red dead 2, GTA games are but the people who like those games are still going to play them.

danielberg

Neophyte
Clickbait "look at me" score what a fool his entire "review" is story talk.
And he has a declared hatred for most things anime and jrpg so yeah thats like me reviewing Fifa which i have the good sense of not doing, what a clueless attention and click begging hack he did the same crap in the octopath review scoring it lower than anyone else in the entire industry all just for attention and clicks.

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
if a person thinks a game is good, you aren't going to change their mind. No matter how much you rant. I mean I could make a thread about how bad Fortnite, Red dead 2, GTA games are but the people who like those games are still going to play them.

Uhh... yeah, so we agree?

You gonna repeat this a third time in some slightly different fashion?

Hanon

Banned
this thread is like /v/ when a highly anticipated game doesn't fully deliver what it promises, but proceeds to act like it's the worst game ever made without elaborating why.

also i can't take dunkey seriously after that non-review of octopath traveller

Kingdom Hearts has yet to receive as much hate as, say, Zelda II did.

Be grateful your series is such a cash cow. (I'd kill for Dragon Quest to have that following so we'd get more of the spinoffs localized.)

Silent Duck

People venting their frustrations can be healthy.
Holding it in can be bad for you.

We should all take the advice of that Disney song... how did it go?
Oh, that’s right...

“Let it Go
Let it Go
Don’t hold it in anymore...”
tenor.gif

hecatomb

Banned
After all the people in this thread bitching about KH3, I kind of want to buy it now, just to make them mad.

After all the people in this thread bitching about KH3, I kind of want to buy it now, just to make them mad.
Its a great game with a lot of heart in it, Kingdom hearts is a game that has its own feelings and identity and i can only respect it for that.. in this modern space where every game wants to copy each other. kingdom hearts always feels like kingdom hearts and nothing so far will take that from it.

The voice acting for the main characters has a real original Resident Evil/Final Fantasy X type of thing going on and its kinda wild to hear it in 2019. What´s with the awkward pauses after every spoken line?

shark sandwich

It is literally just a thread for people to hate on the game.
And for JRPG white knights to whine about the thread’s existence and tell everyone else how sad they are for disliking the game’s cringe story.

Hey didn’t you say you were bowing out of this thread? What happened.

Antoon

Banned
Were you bullied at school a lot?
Dunkey has over 5mill subs, and yes, he is quite well known among the youtube gaming crowd.

danielberg

Neophyte
And for JRPG white knights to whine about the thread’s existence and tell everyone else how sad they are for disliking the game’s cringe story.

Hey didn’t you say you were bowing out of this thread? What happened.
Everyone knows the story is lunacy the point is to deliberately rate games low to get clicks and controversy, i mean by his scale guess zelda and mario is now 1/5 too since in the rare occasion they even have a story its usually clichee boring crap wow guess i am now justified to rate them 1/5 since i found something i dont like while ignoring or vapidly hand waving away the rest. Gee how honest of me.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

Everyone knows the story is lunacy the point is to deliberately rate games low to get clicks and controversy, i mean by his scale guess zelda and mario is now 1/5 too since in the rare occasion they even have a story its usually clichee boring crap wow guess i am now justified to rate them 1/5 since i found something i dont like while ignoring or vapidly hand waving away the rest. Gee how honest of me.
KH3 is a story-driven game with loads of lengthy cutscenes and lots of dialog. The story is fair game for criticism. If the criticism bothers you so much then you shouldn’t be in this thread.

danielberg

Neophyte
KH3 is a story-driven game with loads of lengthy cutscenes and lots of dialog. The story is fair game for criticism. If the criticism bothers you so much then you shouldn’t be in this thread.

Everyone can write a review and everyone can criticize that review if they want, why do you have such a big issue with that?
Gameplay and combat is where its at but his "review" is basically a review on story while vapidly handwaving away everything else ala "i found one thing i didn't like this should be enough as a cover for a 1/5 clickbait if i focus on it lolol"

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
You are focusing on one part of the criticism. Yes, story plays a huge role in the KH games, otherwise you wouldnt have 6 hours of cutscenes, but there are also many flaws in level design, repetiton, lack of variety, empty worlds and mediocre button mashing gameplay.

Top Bottom