• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil Games: WiiU is "more powerful" than PS3/360; Darksiders II WiiU hints

Status
Not open for further replies.
This obviously doesn't explain much, but since there's still some FUD going around about that fundamental question, I figure it'd be useful.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...3-be-the-best-platform-for-darksiders-ii.aspx

Ben Reeves said:
The announcement of Nintendo’s new console certainly sounds like a boon for gamers, but what do developers think of Nintendo’s new Wii U? Vigil Games, the developer behind Darksiders II, is certainly looking forward to bringing its series over to the system.

"I think it’s cool, and the nice thing for us is that it’s compatible with what we’re doing," said Vigil general manager David Adams, when I asked him about the new system during my visit to the Austin studio for our cover story on the game in the July issue of Game Informer.

"For me personally, I love Nintendo," continued Adams. "I love Zelda. I love Mario, and I’ve never actually made a game that’s gone on a Nintendo platform, so for me that’s just awesome. I think that if you look at the Darksiders franchise, it’s a little more mature, but it has that similar aesthetic to a Nintendo game. I feel like it’s a natural fit from a gameplay and platform perspective."

Vigil also told us that they have several ideas on how to utilize Nintendo’s new controller – such as allowing players to manage inventory on the controller screen – but that many of these concepts were still in flux. "We’re not interested in any gimmicky stuff like with the Wii launch games, where it was basically like, this is exactly like a normal game except every once in a while you jab your controller at the screen to jump or something," said Vigil technical director Colin Bonstead. "I think the new system is better than the Wii controller in that it has a couple features that core games like ours can leverage and make use of."

At the very least, Vigil believes that gamers can look forward to ports to Nintendo’s new console that are not inferior to every other version of the game. When we asked Bonstead if he thought it was possible that the Wii U version of Darksiders II would be the best version of the game, he said, "Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."

We hope to get more specifics on the features that Vigil will work around Nintendo’s new controller. In the meantime, Nintendo fans can take heart that Wii U will have at least one mature action title in its roster around the time of launch.

goldenpp72

So the bar to pass is being.. a tad more powerful than 6 and 7 year old hardware. How much more powerful is it, is it 'in league' with those consoles as in, like putting gamecube vs xbox, or is it like comparing dreamcast to n64, or an actual real generation leap?

Interfectum

Awesome. Can't wait to play an action game using a bloated controller and circular nubs. Anything for slightly crisper graphics!

it was a given that it would be more powerful the question is HOW MUCH more powerful. What will happen when PS4/xbox 3 show up will it be competitive with those?

goldenpp72 said:
So the bar to pass is being.. a tad more powerful than 6 and 7 year old hardware. How much more powerful is it, is it 'in league' with those consoles as in, like putting gamecube vs xbox, or is it like comparing dreamcast to n64, or an actual real generation leap?

Good. More questions, less idiotic statements.

Of course its more powerful. I'm certain it will have the 2nd best looking version of Battlefield 3 as well

Xilium said:
This still doesn't matter. It'll only be the most powerful until the next Sony/Microsoft console is released and then 3rd party "hardcore" game developers will abandon it again like they did with the Wii.

That's assuming that next generation sony and microsoft consoles have a huge upgrade. If they've learned anything from nintendo's dominance this gen its that you don't need a huge power boost to guarantee sales.

Xilium

This still doesn't matter. It'll only be the most powerful until the next Sony/Microsoft console is released and then 3rd party "hardcore" game developers will abandon it again like they did with the Wii.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Fourth Storm said:
Finally, some confirmation. Lay your fears to rest, ladies and gents.
Why would that lay fears to rest? I fear that this will be the next Dreamcast to 3rd parties. A next gen console that gets "higher-res" current gen ports. When the next Xbox and PS4 come out, it will probably blow this out of the water, and unfortunately, 3rd parties may just abandon it then.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Anybody with a brain knew this already. At least it will quiet the manchildren for a time.

Marvie_3

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
it was a given that it would be more powerful the question is HOW MUCH more powerful. What will happen when PS4/xbox 3 show up will it be competitive with those?
This.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Father_Brain said:
"Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful

Father_Brain said:

Father_Brain said:

Father_Brain said:

Father_Brain said:

GAF wrong again? Yes.

scitek

goldenpp72 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for MS and Sony to blow away the U in power next-gen, either.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Xilium said:
Is not at all like the wii.

Interfectum said:
Awesome. Can't wait to play an action game using a bloated controller and circular nubs. Anything for slightly crisper graphics!

Cool. I take it that you enjoyed the Original Darksiders for PS3/360 then?

EDarkness

UnblessedSoul said:
Judging from the tech demo, I disagree

I thought that tech demo looked awesome. But we're entering the realm of diminishing returns. Not sure what they could do to really make it looks leaps and bounds better. The proof is gonna be in the playing. Framerates, resolution, and things of that nature are going to be most important from now own.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
lightless_shado said:
Of course its more powerful. I'm certain it will have the 2nd best looking version of Battlefield 3 as well

Well the system comes out 6 months+ after the 360/PS3/PC versions...

goldenpp72

scitek said:
I wouldn't hold my breath for MS and Sony to blow away the U in power next-gen, either.

I'd bet the farm at least sony will, judging by the psp2 I don't think power is out of their dna just yet. I'm also sure MS will do the same :/

scitek

Isn't the fact that these games are being ported to the U confirmation that we'll see it next spring or so instead of next fall? I can't see 2011 games being a huge bullet-point were it to release Holiday 2012.

You do love Zelda don't you.... :p

Gotta see what the price is to see where I stand on my thoughts about it's power.

I mean, by the time it comes out the 360 will have been on the market for 7 years. it had better be very reasonably priced if it is just a small step more powerful

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Plinko said:
GAF wrong again? Yes.
People know it's more powerful. Nobody has argued against that.

People are arguing it won't be enough of a leap. Saying it'll have the best performance amongst consoles built in 2005 isn't high praise.

FrankT

Kung Fu Grip said:
The gams sure didn't make it look more powerful.

Why didn't nintedo talk abou the specs?

It would have been nice if they just released the full spec sheet. Ram/GPU everything.

EDarkness

lightless_shado said:
Assuming that it's not compatible with the wii controller which can be pretty good for FPS.

It's gonna be up to the developers to use IR. Wii remotes still work and there's no reason for them not to be supported.

antonz

Lyphen said:

People are arguing it won't be enough of a leap. Saying it'll have the best performance amongst consoles built in 2005 isn't high praise.
No one can even begin to guess how much power it is based on Multiplatform trailers.

If it has the custom 4850 in it its plenty powerful yet wont show it until developers make things for the power

1-D_FTW

Plinko said:
GAF wrong again? Yes.

Who said it was less powerful? 10 percent more powerful than 360 is more powerful. Duh. It doesn't excuse not being released for another 18 months, it doesn't excuse whatever over-inflated price they're gonna charge, and it doesn't excuse showing absolutely jack. I knew Nintendo didn't have any ninjas hiding their secrets. Same old Nintendo. Hide everything until they wow the world with their precious secrets. They strike gold one time and suddenly they're infallible geniuses. They're headed right back to the Gamecube era trajectory because the world has moved on and their novelties have no gimmick value at all (save for maybe their precious Japan homeland).

LCGeek

formerly sane
dragonflys545 said:
Unfortunately it looks like controllers going to suck for FPS.

I hope this isn't coming from a pad players because considering things it's easily the worst thing possible. Why bother with this we learned this generation dual analog types will hold the genre back for as long as possible until a total new format for input on console comes out that all 3 must use.

1-D_FTW said:
Who said it was less powerful? 10 percent more powerful than 360 is more powerful. Duh. It doesn't excuse not being released for another 18 months, it doesn't excuse whatever over-inflated price they're gonna charge, and it doesn't excuse showing absolutely jack. I knew Nintendo didn't have any ninjas hiding their secrets. Same old Nintendo. Hide everything until they wow the world with their precious secrets. They strike gold one time and suddenly they're infallible geniuses. They're headed right back to the Gamecube era trajectory because the world has moved on and their novelties have no gimmick value at all (save for maybe their precious Japan homeland).
A lot of people on GAF were saying it looked worse than 360 or were predicting that.

Lyphen said:

What threads are you reading, do those have rational people in them?

Riddick said:
More powerful like Wii was to GC?

We still don't have a complete picture of what it can do graphically. All we have is a tech demo and a screenshot.

Nintendo wants to make the system affordable. I don't think they've ever released an overpriced console. The system must be both powerful and cheap. We know it can do 1080p though so the question is whether it will be standard on every game or what.

I'm sure we'll see more at TGS

LCGeek said:
I hope this isn't coming from a pad players because considering things it's easily the worst thing possible. Why bother with this we learned this generation dual analog types will hold the genre back for as long as possible until a total new format for input on console comes out that all 3 must use.

LOL

Anyway, it couldn't be true that I can only support 1 Wiiu controller and the rest have to be old Wii remotes right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom