• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings is better than Game of Thrones - come at me

cormack12

Gold Member
Just got to the end of Season 4 of Vikings, and even if it does go off a cliff edge like the last season of Thrones, damn this is a good show. I think it's consisently well paced, well delivered and every season so far has been superb. Barely a wasted episode. Thrones probably had higher peaks but had much lower troughs as well.

Zatzuken

I agree, game of thrones was amazing at first though, it built its rep on a brilliant series, the books are just the same, but after the war of the 5 kings i felt it got crap.

I agree. It's better then got. What I like about it is the pacing. There's always something interesting happening and none of it feels like filler. In got, there were certain parts that felt like filler.

Chittagong

Gold Member
tumblr_nm00ynHX791t8wdt4o1_r1_500.gif

lrt75914

Friends of mine told me the same thing so I tried to watch the first season and...I couldn't finish it. Game of thrones, at least for the first three seasons, was able to build up a genuine sense of tension. Vikings felt choppy when it came to writing and direction.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm more of Judith guy myself. She gave up an ear for her man and took our her own shitty son when it had to be done.

51SvxnfmKoL.__AC_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Not to mention Lagertha was just as terrible as Bjorn at coming up with battle plans.

I still think Kathery Winnick should have been Captain Marvel though.
Yeah, I really wanted Kathyrin Winnick as captain marvel. I thought I saw somewhere she auditioned for it. Probably too old and not nearly bitchy enough for the role.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Been saying this since the first episode of Vikings. Nobody listened to me, just kept gushing about that boring drag og a show GoT.

I'll admit, the pacing has taken a weird turn over the past seasons. I'm constantly confused about how much time has passed, and characters you think will be important just suddenly leave. Rhys Meyers was criminally underused in his role.

O-N-E

It had many episodes in the earlier seasons that rivaled and sometimes topped GoT. Travis Fimmel added a lot in that role, but as soon as his character became a drug addict, that show died.

However, it's hard to contend with the scope and intensity of GoT. Baelor, The Red Wedding, Hardhome, etc.

It's a tragedy that we can't get a single masterpiece swords / sorcery series that doesn't shit the bed before ending.

Edit:

qCe3UhY.gif

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Did they not replace every character from Vikings for latest Season? Nice Show for 4 or 5 seasons, but the new cast sucks ball.

Just season 8 was a letdown. GOT had way more memorable moments.

Fbh

When it was still good I liked GOT better.
But Vikings is still A LOT better than the last few shitty seasons of GOT even if it isn't quite as good as when Ragnar was around.

The final season of GOT in particular was so bad it retroactively made the show worse.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Did they not replace every character from Vikings for latest Season? Nice Show for 4 or 5 seasons, but the new cast sucks ball.

Just season 8 was a letdown. GOT had way more memorable moments.

For a while, but the last season has been really good. It's like they just kinda pulled themselves together and decided they needed to tell a really good story.

Ragnar's sons have really grown too. Ubbe is channeling Ragnar fiercly lately. Can't wait for the second half of the season to start.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
OP I'm going to give it a go towards the end of the year when I'm on break. I've constantly heard good things about this show, but I've never bothered to watch since I always have so many things on.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm gonna watch Vikings after I catch up with the Last Kingdom, I am really enjoying that show.

but thank you OP for convincing me it is a great show.

I never got into GOT should I bother?

Tesseract

Banned
I'm gonna watch Vikings after I catch up with the Last Kingdom, I am really enjoying that show.

but thank you OP for convincing me it is a great show.

I never got into GOT should I bother?
got is mostly excellent until s07 and 8

6 is my favorite season

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I had to stop watching Vikings. IMO it got really really bad after Ragnar died.

I eventually stopped watching, and even at its peak I don't consider it anywhere close to GOT. Despite how GOT ended it's still an amazing show.

Top Bottom