Virginia Govonor Ralph Northam (Democrat) yearbook page shows men in blackface and KKK robe

Sep 1, 2017

A photo from Gov. Ralph Northam’s medical school yearbook shows two men, one in blackface and one in a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood, on the same page as the future governor.

The photo, which The Virginian-Pilot obtained a copy of Friday from the Eastern Virginia Medical School library, comes from the 1984 yearbook, the year Northam graduated.

On the half-page set aside for Northam, there is a headshot of him in a jacket and tie, a photo of him in a cowboy hat and boots and a third of him sitting casually on the ground, leaning against a convertible.

The fourth photo on the half-page has two people, one wearing white Ku Klux Klan robes and a hood, the other with his face painted black. The person with the black face is also wearing a white hat, black jacket, white shirt with a bow tie and plaid pants. Both are holding canned drinks.

It’s unclear who the people in costume are.

Under the photo of the men in blackface and the Klan hood are listed Northam’s alma mater, Virginia Military Institute, and his interest: “Pediatrics.” His quote is listed as “There are more old drunks than old doctors in this world so I think I’ll have another beer.”

The governor’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday afternoon.

The chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia, Jack Wilson, said in a statement: “Racism has no place in Virginia. These pictures are wholly inappropriate. If Governor Northam appeared in blackface or dressed in a KKK robe, he should resign immediately.”

In a separate statement, four top Republican lawmakers — House of Speaker Kirk Cox, Senate Majority Leader Thomas K. Norment Jr., House Majority Leader Todd Gilbert and Senate Rules Committee Chairman Ryan T. McDougle — said: “This is a deeply disturbing and offensive photograph in need of an immediate explanation by the governor.”

The photo came to light after a week in which the Democratic governor came under fire for his comments about a bill introduced by a first-term Democratic lawmaker that would have loosened restriction abortions in Virginia.

Conservative news outlet Big League Politics first posted the photo at around 2:15 p.m. Friday with the headline “YEARBOOK: Ralph Northam In Blackface & KKK Photo.”

About an hour later, the Virginia GOP caucus Twitter page tweeted, “@governorva needs to explain this immediately.”

On Wednesday, Northam was on a WTOP-FM show and was asked about a failed bill introduced by Del. Kathy Tran that would have relaxed limits on third-trimester abortions.

https://pilotonline.com/news/govern...cle_67fdd682-2662-11e9-a7d1-c7ed70e09b50.html

It’s time for the Governor of Virginia to resign. Aside from revealing the true face of the Democrat Party, he propagated infanticide earlier this week. Which is more offensive, the black face or the KKK hood and robes? Hell, why not both? Perhaps the consumption of alcohol being presented the way it is?

Last edited:
May 10, 2009
USA
www.youtube.com
User name checks out.

Those pics are from 30 years ago. So what?
I didn't "drive by post". I posted a reply on how I felt. That dude supports straight up murder. And I'm certain I can find out ragging on a (R) that has done something stupid in the past. Should I look at your views on Kavanaugh or Trump?

Oct 5, 2015
YIKES! (Ha, such a dumb term).

Regardless, yeah, this dude's goose is cooked. You really....really can't be running around in blackface and/or KKK costume. The thing is....1984 wasn't THAT long ago. They really should have known better.

Oct 21, 2018
YIKES! (Ha, such a dumb term).

Regardless, yeah, this dude's goose is cooked. You really....really can't be running around in blackface and/or KKK costume. The thing is....1984 wasn't THAT long ago. They really should have known better.
Guess his yearbook never came up in his job interview. If only everyone had that privilege.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, with him being a Democrat and all. After all, they ran someone for president who called black people "superpredators".
He also didn't know better than to vote twice for George W. Bush either, so there you go. Odds are he wasn't a Democrat in 1984. He even claimed to be "apolitical" in the past. Thus turning this into a talking point about racist Democrats in 2019 seems especially irrational in light of that. Not that it will stop those who find it useful.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018
But Democrats seem to be the party that likes to dox kids and go after people with info about their teenage years. And I voted Democrat in the other thread. Seeing people trying to Kavanaugh this, and how close this late term abortion hits me, I am seriously reconsidering.
You're free to make your own decisions, without needing to give any explanations to anyone else.

However, I do want to call attention to the obvious implication. You should be fully aware of what's been happening on all the sides of the divide, at least if that's what you wish to consider.

The Republican Party does not have a clean record on these issues, not to mention electing or nominating racist politicians like King, going after black teens involved in police shootings, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
You're free to make your own decisions, without needing to give any explanations to anyone else.

However, I do want to call attention to the obvious implication. You should be fully aware of what's been happening on all the sides of the divide, at least if that's what you wish to consider.

The Republican Party does not have a clean record on these issues, not to mention electing or nominating racist politicians like King, going after black teens involved in police shootings, etc.
For once, try to approach a conversation like you're not waging political war based on your ideology. Dude was an asshole, just call him one and move on. No need to be like, but what about these other assholes on your team!!11

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Should I look at your views on Kavanaugh or Trump?
Feel free to. I am not a fan of Trump, and I really didn't give a shit about Kavanaugh. I just am not going to be outraged over a picture from half a lifetime ago.

Oh cmon we had a thread about a professor who apparently should lose his job because he wrote something homophobic 25 years ago.
And that is stupid too.

I mean, actual crimes even have a statute of limitations.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015
He also didn't know better than to vote twice for George W. Bush either, so there you go. Odds are he wasn't a Democrat in 1984. He even claimed to be "apolitical" in the past. Thus turning this into a talking point about racist Democrats in 2019 seems especially irrational in light of that. Not that it will stop those who find it useful.
As a medical student, he probably didn't have much poltiical leaning anyway.

I do have a degree of understanding for dumb things people do when they are young, but either of those costumes are really too much. Now, is the dude a racist as in a wants to pass legislation that actively hurts African Americans? Probably not, but in today's climate, there is no forgiveness.

I tell you....in about another 10 years or so when the older millineals and late gen-xers start running for office (and about the time where phone cameras became omni-present), we are all going to have to come to deal with how to view past mistakes as folks entire lives are now documented and on-line.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2007
His own side is going to eat him alive given the purity tests they regularly employ and in this case it truly is an awful look.

Personally i disagree with condeming somebody for stupidness from 30 years ago as people do change, , HOWEVER, given his recent comments on abortion I'm not going to be shedding any tears either.

With that said his former "allies" are already setting up the stake and getting the fire stoked. Just look at the other forum.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018
For once, try to approach a conversation like you're not waging political war based on your ideology. Dude was an asshole, just call him one and move on. No need to be like, but what about these other assholes on your team!!11
He was an asshole. I have no trouble saying that. Yet, given how his current party affiliation is being combined with his past racist behavior, in order to "wage a political war" as you call it, it's natural to also reference the political side of the topic in a more comprehensive way. In case you haven't noticed, these political discussions are full of people calling points or fouls for each team.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
He was an asshole. I have no trouble saying that. Yet, given how his current party affiliation is being combined with his past racist behavior, in order to "wage a political war" as you call it, it's natural to also reference the political side of the topic in a more comprehensive way. In case you haven't noticed, these political discussions are full of people calling points or fouls for each team.
So don't play their game. Point out the reductiveness of their tribal nature and focus on the worthiness of an argument. This is the internet, where the points don't count and the scores don't matter.

Aug 30, 2014
So what makes Democrats the lesser evil? Democrats are extremely racist and corrupt.
The dems claim to have the higher ground but I'd argue that's just political trickery. I tend to agree with people like Larry Elder that programs like welfare, no matter how well intentioned, have destroyed entire communities. But if you say that out loud, you're a racist [even though Elder is black]. He points out, among other things, that single motherhood increased from around 25% to 75% after the adoption of welfare, and he believes welfare is a huge causal element in that.

And well, identity/intersectional politics is pure racism, and that's a hallmark of the current left.

This isn't to say the right has been correct on every issue, but the left is better at painting the other side as racist because they want to spend money on programs while the right tends avoid that. And so they just claim the right doesn't want to help the lower class and/or minorities, when in fact its usually that the right doesn't think the program will actually help.

Jan 26, 2009
You have a god damn Republican pulling a Hydra moment when SHIELD agents reveals themselves to be Hydra! It calls into question the true motives behind all these late term abortion bills and how much influence he had in all of them. He voted GW twice, lifelong Republican, and in the last 10 years turns Democrat.

And I’m not saying R’s believe in abortion. I’m saying he probably agrees on most other issues with Republicans minus the late term abortion issue and decided to sneak in to a party where he could foster what matters most to him as a baby doctor.
Life’s not a comic book even if sometimes I wish it was. People change and can be moderate Democrats. There are democrats that are pro life. I’m sure their is a few republicans that are atheists. The left is going to eat itself.

Hail hydra