• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtous Employee Confirms ‘Unannounced AAA Remake’ Amid Metal Gear Solid 3 Report

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Untitled.jpg

An employee at Chinese studio Virtuos has confirmed it’s working on an “unannounced [triple-A] action adventure game remake”, following VGC’s report that it’s been handed the Metal Gear Solid license.

As spotted by VGC reader Faizan Shaikh, Virtuous lead programmer Zhiyang Li mentions the unannounced game on his LinkedIn profile and claims to have worked on it since October 2018.

According to his description, the remake will feature “[triple-A] quality level art”, 4K graphics and “set piece destruction”. Li also makes reference to multiple platforms in his description of the project.

Established in 2004, Virtuos is one of the largest game developers in the world and focuses on supporting the development of major triple-A games or bringing existing games to new platforms.

Recently it worked on the Switch ports of Dark Souls Remastered, The Outer Worlds and The BioShock Collection, as well as contributing art and content to blockbusters such as Battlefield 1, Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Kuranghi

Oh boo, thats my least favourite one, the stealth was too slow after MGS 2. To me, it like the Arkam Origins of the MGS series, it has high highs but also massive lows. Its thematically awesome but not as good a game to actually play as MGS 1, 2 or 4. I went to replay the Subsistence version a few years ago and it wasn't very fun to actually play it, I just wanted to skip to the cutscenes and boss battles.

Soodanim

There’s so much that can go wrong. MGS is a series full of details most games never even dream of putting in games, if 3 is being remade by some third party developer then unless they’re a company of MGS super fans it’s going to almost certainly be inferior. You can’t streamline MGS3 and it still be MGS3. You can’t take out elements or themes. Campy? Leave it in. Dick grabbing to identify a spy? Stays in. Drunk engineer talking while you look at models of Rex and Ray in first person mode? Of course. Over the top motorcycle stuff? Definitely in. Shooting toy frogs to unlock a bonus weapon? In. More Easter eggs than most games combined? Essential.

I don’t think there’s a lot that I would tolerate being taken out of MGS3. It’s one of the best games ever made and it’s certainly the best ‘complete package’ MGS game, and as far as I’m concerned if they aren’t just porting this to the Fox Engine and upscaling assets they’ve already taken a wrong turn.

I’m thinking MGS 1 & 2 are being remade or have already but 3 is the only one that leaked. This makes more sense then them just choosing to remake 3. Let’s go!!!!

SkylineRKR

I think I like 2 better but 3S is really awesome. The foliage and attention to detail etc was amazing on PS2. Like footsteps disappearing when it rains etc.

3 Subsistence is still very playable, imho. It has the pre MGSV gameplay which is ofcourse dated but still more versatile than MGS2 in which you can hold up or button bash to strangle and not much else.

I'd rather see a remake of MGS2. Ofcourse the Raiden stuff doesn't have impact anymore and the foretelling is kind of outdated now, we know about the digital flow of information all too well these days. But its probably my GOAT MGS game.

Yoboman

It makes zero sense to remake MGS3 when MGS1 is in more need of it.
Probably an easier remake to do

They could pretty much lump in MGS5 mechanics and it would work. Increase the environment size and remove checkpoints abit if they want to go ambitious

MGS1 and 2 rely so much on the dated camera angles it becomes a different game with the update

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably an easier remake to do

They could pretty much lump in MGS5 mechanics and it would work. Increase the environment size and remove checkpoints abit if they want to go ambitious

MGS1 and 2 rely so much on the dated camera angles it becomes a different game with the update
Well that's way it's a remake, RE2 did it
But I guess we're not looking at that kinda Remake

TGO

But why choose a studio, which have such a bad track report. They never made a good game by themselves. Konami had probably only 2 criteria. Must be multiplatform and must be cheap.
They worked on Final Fantasy VII: Remake
and did the Remasters for XII & X
outside of X's faces I wouldn't say they was bad.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: K2D
They only helped with Final Fantasy VII: Remake and we don't know to what extend. Most work have been done at Square Enix internally.
And regarding remasters, they are just remasters, where you don't need to create something new or be creative. You just take what is there and replace some assets with better versions of the same assets.
So when they make now a full fledged remake by themselves, I don't have trust in their creativeness and own ideas.

Kokoloko85

MGS3 doesnt need remade, at all. Its already nearly perfect. Who asked for that? Complete waste.
MSX's Metal Gear 1 and 2 need remade.

All 3 being remade would be awesome. But they really shouldnt skip MGS1 and 2

MGS1-3 could do with camera angle and control’s being updated and more content

Keihart

MGS1 remake? meh (still probably my favorite one)
MGS3 remake? holy shit.

The jungle angle with a bigger and seamless jungle has so many possibilities to be upgraded, kynda hype, ngl.

Edit: going by the studio it's probably a remaster, nothing like Demon's Souls probably, boring.
How many times do we have to remaster MGS ? it's kinda funny.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

MGS3 doesnt need remade, at all. Its already nearly perfect. Who asked for that? Complete waste.
MSX's Metal Gear 1 and 2 need remade.
Damn, I wanted MGS. Ah, well.
It makes zero sense to remake MGS3 when MGS1 is in more need of it.
I’m thinking MGS 1 & 2 are being remade or have already but 3 is the only one that leaked. This makes more sense then them just choosing to remake 3. Let’s go!!!!
I'm thinking they are planning to do them all, just putting them in chronological order.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I will wait for the official announcement. I dont really believe Konami would spend money making AAA games again when they can profit much more out of pachinko machines and mobile games like they were doing over the past 6 years

TGO

Isn't MGS1 incredibly short and simple?
Depends, it's 12 hours, 6-8 hours if ya just running through it and 2 hours or less if speed running depending on the person.
But that actually also applies to MGS3 & 2

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I don't really need a MGS3 remake, but I'll be interested if they're actually making one just to see if they'll try to improve the survival mechanic or keep it as is. That's one thing that differentiated MGS3 from the other Metal Gear games.

MG Survive of course had survival mechanics (and I love it), but it's just a spin-off that revolves around it rather than an actual Metal Gear game.

Jack Uzi

Banned
I keep hearing this yet nearly every Remake done recently has outshined the new fresh IP's on the market.
even the newest episodes of that series.
My beef with that comment is we are constantly getting new and fresh IP’s. The studio making this, like Bluepoint aren’t even really known for making new games of their own so this take nothing away from anything.

Perrott

Gold Member
No way the MGS3 remake has been in the works for more than three years now. This is likely related to another project.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 3 is my favorite of the series. It needs a remake the least, however. There are numerous "quality of life" improvements to be made, but there is so much more you could do with Metal Gear Solid 1 or 2, imo.

KAL2006

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 3 actually makes sense to remake. Where the remake is 1:1 in terms of mechanics. Similar to Demons Souls, Shadow of Collosus and etc. And not something like a full remake with new mechanics like Resident Evil 2. A 1:1 Remake is cheaper and easier to do as they are simply running the same game and just replacing the assets.

With Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence the camera angle used is a traditional 3rd person action game and not birds eye view like the older games. Thus camera angle allows the game to look more modern and the jungle environments looking more detailed would add alot in this remake. Where as if they were to do a 1:1 remake for 1 and 2 the birds eye view wouldnt be modern and changing that up would change the gameplay which would then no longer be a 1:1 remake. Also the environments in MGS1 and 2 are not as dense as the jungle in 3 so a remake of jungle environment would see a more substantial upgrade.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 3 actually makes sense to remake. Where the remake is 1:1 in terms of mechanics. Similar to Demons Souls, Shadow of Collosus and etc. And not something like a full remake with new mechanics like Resident Evil 2. A 1:1 Remake is cheaper and easier to do as they are simply running the same game and just replacing the assets.

With Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence the camera angle used is a traditional 3rd person action game and not birds eye view like the older games. Thus camera angle allows the game to look more modern and the jungle environments looking more detailed would add alot in this remake. Where as if they were to do a 1:1 remake for 1 and 2 the birds eye view wouldnt be modern and changing that up would change the gameplay which would then no longer be a 1:1 remake. Also the environments in MGS1 and 2 are not as dense as the jungle in 3 so a remake of jungle environment would see a more substantial upgrade.
You make some good points, but in regards to the camera, we could apply that thinking to MGS3, pre-Subsistence.
I'd love to see that perspective brought to MGS 1 and 2, and I feel like with some gameplay tweaks, it would be fresh and exciting.

*Nightwing

They're a legit studio.

Yeah they do a lot of ports and I am vaguely familiar with them. And they ain’t as bad as others in comparison. Still don’t excuse a horrible translation fail name.

The contextual use of virtuous doesn’t translate to English in the context it is used in Chinese. The irony of a communication from them in English with such a clear “mastery” of the language is what I was shit posting about without having to use all these words.

KAL2006

Banned
You make some good points, but in regards to the camera, we could apply that thinking to MGS3, pre-Subsistence.
I'd love to see that perspective brought to MGS 1 and 2, and I feel like with some gameplay tweaks, it would be fresh and exciting.

Changing the camera may not fit MGS1 and MGS2 environments, the level design of the open jungle probably was made with that camera angle in mind for a later version. Basically what I'm saying is it would require more work and tweaks. Where as MGS3 Subsistence already has the work done for them.

kuncol02

Banned
Remake by some Chinese dev that no ones heard of and no input from kojima, this is not gonna end well lol.
They are really known for quality of their work. They ported Outer Worlds to switch and made Return to Arkham. They somehow were able to make Arkham Asylium looks worse than original version (not necessarily on technical, but on artistic level).

Virtuous Studios?

Awesome and Totally Not a Scam Studios name already taken and trademarked?

K2D

Banned
The art design of the faces and reduction in facial animation has been my biggest let downs with recent remakes and remasters, namely;

Shadow of the Colussus remake,
FFX remaster, and
FFVIII remaster.

Top Bottom