• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5. Xbox 360... on... on...

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Version C? Online? It looks like it's going to be a reality, no kidding here.

And PS3 owners? Well... one out of two ain't bad, right? :(

Mrbob

VF5 is going to be online on X360? Don't tease me like this. I have been waiting for VF online, purests don't cry.

Draft

Good. The whole bubububub the frames argument is so stupid. OK, I get it, you can't have hardcore super fast competitive play on-line because of lag. Fine, but can we at least get casual play on-line?

gbovo

Link or it didn't happen. But online would be cool, if not the 6 month delay in releases wouldn't make much sense.

Jim

Reno said:

One out of two? The PS3 game is neither version C nor online, so wha? Wouldn't it be zero out of two if true?

Mmmkay

gbovo said:
Link or it didn't happen. But online would be cool, if not the 6 month delay in releases wouldn't make much sense.
Reno ain't the first to hint this in the past few days, and I should say... :O

nofi

Draft said:
Good. The whole bubububub the frames argument is so stupid. OK, I get it, you can't have hardcore super fast competitive play on-line because of lag. Fine, but can we at least get casual play on-line?

Probably.

I don't actually get it though - how can such information fly back and forth between two computers potentially thousands of miles apart in a 60th of a second? Really - how? Is the internet that fast because mine isn't.

justjohn

well since it practically flopped on the ps3, they have to do something to differentiate it on the 360 and online is definetely something something that could do it. so i'm not surprised

Tiduz

Eurogaime
couldnt they patch the ps3 version like they did with tekken 5 DR? if not ill never buy a VF again :lol

Orlics

nofilter said:
Probably.

I don't actually get it though - how can such information fly back and forth between two computers potentially thousands of miles apart in a 60th of a second? Really - how? Is the internet that fast because mine isn't.

He was saying it won't actually - the gameplay will be different, so only casual players will be able to appreciate it. That's ok, since at least it's your own damn choice.

USD

Even with the larger userbase, there was no way in hell that VF5 would sell much better on 360 without an online version. If this true, at least it has a fighting chance. I'm hoping that they flesh it out, with all the VF.TV features and such.

Reno said:

Source? It's a little late in the game to slam in an online mode. Also, if there is an online mode, don't you think it would have been prototyped on their lead SKU? As for PS3 owners, if there is even any truth to this, what makes you think a patch won't be issued.

nofi

Orlics said:
He was saying it won't actually - the gameplay will be different, so only casual players will be able to appreciate it. That's ok, since at least it's your own damn choice.

Casual players don't play VF5 though, do they? This isn't me being an arse, I'm wondering how it's going to work on Tekken 5 too. It just doesn't seem possible (and yes, I tried DoA 4) so you either get slowdown while the game engine waits for the info, or missed attacks/frames.

Still, yay, online will be a selling point.

Master Z

If this is true I wonder how playable it'll be. If they can get it lag free I'll be amazed. If it's not lag free I wonder if the serious players will even bother. It would suck to go online and find mostly noobs and casual players.

360 owners expect online its as simple as that imo , leave the frame watching dudes in the arcade

If they put online in they'll double their sales, they'd be mad not too

I really dont understand why everyone is freaking out he hasnt posted any sources to back up this "so called" information and in the last 1 up show they said that Sega wasnt looking to put this online at all.

nofi

FormulaOne said:
...As for PS3 owners, if there is even any truth to this, what makes you think a patch won't be issued.

Two words: Sony and Sega. There's no way we're getting an online patch mate.

FormulaOne said:
Source? It's a little late in the game to slam in an online mode. Also, if there is an online mode, don't you think it would have been prototyped on their lead SKU? As for PS3 owners, if there is even any truth to this, what makes you think a patch won't be issued.

MS probably paid big bucks to have this version online. Thus why it would only be in 360 version.

nofilter said:
Casual players don't play VF5 though, do they? This isn't me being an arse, I'm wondering how it's going to work on Tekken 5 too. It just doesn't seem possible (and yes, I tried DoA 4) so you either get slowdown while the game engine waits for the info, or missed attacks/frames.

They could make it like that VF 4 EVO mode where there's no delay for the attacks and all turns into a spam scrub fest.

Tieno

If it's true, I don't understand why MS would have to pay for this. Maybe it's just easier to implement online in the 360 beacause of the infrastructure and software ms provides?

nofilter said:

the serious players wouldn't play it even if it was as close to perfect as humanly possible. they don't believe that anything but local play can do VF5 justice given how much of it based on frame counting and such.

heck, they've been actively campaigning against such a mode being included in any version of the game for some reason... as if a mode with large appeal that they were never going to play themselves was somehow going to damage the entire game.

that's partly why i want to see the mode in there... to see how the hardcore people react to it... how many of them embrace it despite it no doubt having faults... how those that do embrace it adopt their game to deal with the change in timings and the lag... etc.

Master Z said:
If this is true I wonder how playable it'll be. If they can get it lag free I'll be amazed. If it's not lag free I wonder if the serious players will even bother. It would suck to go online and find mostly noobs and casual players.

Who make up the vast majority of gamers

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Now Reno, I know you, so I know you wouldn't say this without reason - I was planning on skipping VF5 just because it wasn't online, but if this turns out to be true, I'm getting an arcade stick and purchasing the game on day one - guaranteed.

I'll just wait though, seeing as I know how hard-headed Sega can be, but like I said Sega, day one purchase if true, and I know plenty think the same as well...

nofi

plagiarize said:
the serious players wouldn't play it even if it was as close to perfect as humanly possible. they don't believe that anything but local play can do VF5 justice given how much of it based on frame counting and such.

heck, they've been actively campaigning against such a mode being included in any version of the game for some reason... as if a mode with large appeal that they were never going to play themselves was somehow going to damage the entire game.

that's partly why i want to see the mode in there... to see how the hardcore people react to it... how many of them embrace it despite it no doubt having faults... how those that do embrace it adopt their game to deal with the change in timings and the lag... etc.

I'm not hardcore by any stretch, but I do understand the need for local play for maximum effect. I just can't see how adding online would harm the game. More people will buy it, and those that know how to play will just stay offline as they did with the PS3 version.

VF.TV is a must though, spectating will be there I'm sure, as will downloadable replays - something oddly missing from the PS3 version for reasons I'm sure where due to timescales.

plagiarize said:

As long as the single player version is the same surely it will not be an issue?

KachoMakura said:
MS probably paid big bucks to have this version online. Thus why it would only be in 360 version.

I don't know if MS would pay outright but I wouldn't put it past them sending some online programmers to Sega/Sammy HQ to aid them in getting an online mode up and running. One thing MS does know is console online gaming.

the Dark One

Alx

nofilter said:
Casual players don't play VF5 though, do they?

I don't know if I should be considered a casual player or not, but I play VF a lot (still playing VF4evo, and I have the DC plugged in for a quick shot of VF3tb from time to time), and I'm sure my playing style would not suffer from a little lag. I'm not a "frame counter", I don't even like combos, reversals or VF4-style evading, I like to play with "instinct"... and for this style VF is the perfect game (DOA is not bad either).
Sure there are many elitist VF players, I guess you have to be one to win tournaments (but most of the time it's true for any game, even Pacman or Tetris), but you don't need to be one to have fun with the game.

So I can just make up a thread with random info I make up and everyone will think its true, awesome.

*starts thinking of new made up info for RE5* :p

Tieno said:
If it's true, I don't understand why MS would have to pay for this. Maybe it's just easier to implement online in the 360 beacause of the infrastructure and software ms provides?

Well Sega already had MS's development tools when they originally stated the 360 version wouldn't be online. So something else must have changed. My guess is MS realized how HUGE a selling point this would be to have the only online version of Japan's most popular fighting game. Which could really help move 360's in Japan as well as the rest of the world. So they threw Sega a wad of cash. Or atleast helped develop the online portion for them. Just my guess.

Kafel

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
So I can just make up a thread with random info I make up and everyone will think its true, awesome.

*starts thinking of new made up info for RE5* :p

Well, you're not Reno.

Top Bottom