• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtuos (FFX+X-2, Ezio colletion, Batman RTA) porting a AAA title to Switch

It's not going to be Final Fantasy. Square just doesn't put FF games on Nintendo consoles, even the popular ones like 3DS, aside from lower tier spin-offs like Explorers and Theatrhythm.

Bravely Default series is literally Final Fantasy under a different name. They also do every mainline dragon quest. I'd say 12 or 15 are real possibilities.

HardRojo

Arkham games on the go... if they could get them to run at a locked 30 fps on Switch I'd definitely buy them again lol.

Last time we got TP HD. So I'm hyped.

Hopefully it's a cool game from an unexpected developer. A shock similar to Skyrim / Bethesda.

Dremorak

Banned
It's not going to be Final Fantasy. Square just doesn't put FF games on Nintendo consoles, even the popular ones like 3DS, aside from lower tier spin-offs like Explorers and Theatrhythm.

Considering how many FF games Nintendo has gotten on GBA and DS, I think its pretty clear its not a problem with their relationship. Hell, Cloud ended up in smash bros. I dont see any reason why FF15 or 12 couldnt happen

CamHostage

Virtuos' website had a few remasters listed back when Arkham was announced, I've been curious what they would be. One was AC: Ezio Collection, can't recall if FF XII Zodiac Age was announced before then or not. They have at least one more product listed for PS4/X1 on their website, I wonder if Switch's successes have convinced the contractor to add Switch to the mix or if it's a new game?

Virtuos doesn't inspire confidence. They're known for making games look significantly worse on more powerful consoles.

I don't know that I'd go that far in damning Virtuos. They certainly had difficulties with Return to Arkham running into troubles that a UE3-to-UE4 conversion would give a product (plus there's all the custom material Rocksteady wrote for the games that made it even more a bad idea to try,) but its reputation is worse than reality (although that stutter in the panning camera is annoying.) AC: Ezio Collection got a bad rap as well for some graphical stutters and an ugly character model that were in the original game, and should have been polished off but aren't necessarily a fault of a for-hire port studio. Fable Anniversary, FF X/X2, and FF XII Zodiac Age meanwhile are looked on fondly as far as I know. Virtuous certainly isn't the perfectionist studio that Bluepoint or M2 are in handling masterpieces, they're just guns for hire, but their involvement doesn't automatically mean a screw-up, just don't expect carefully-tuned perfection.

Placing my money on the Kingdom Hearts remaster

Square Enix remastered those games internally and Nomura's already said they're going to ship KH3 before thinking of any further ports of them.

"AAA title" implies to me that it's something more than just a remaster collection, something along the lines of a downport of a major multiplatform game, but I guess that assumes the LinkedIn profile isn't exaggerating things a bit. If it is just a port of one of their other remasters then Batman and Ezio are the safe bets, whereas FFX/X-2/XII are probably the least likely.

It could also be Nintendo themselves hiring Virtuos to bring over one of their major Wii U games, like Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Maker, or Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. It doesn't necessarily have to be a third-party publisher.

Don't hold your breath for this being XV. XII would be sweet though.

Betting this is Batman or AC but would love if it was FFXII.

It could also be Nintendo themselves hiring Virtuos to bring over one of their major Wii U games, like Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Maker, or Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. It doesn't necessarily have to be a third-party publisher.

Great point as well. Tantalus described TP HD as a generic "AAA Wii U port". No one saw it coming that it was a Nintendo game.

Of course, Tantalus got that because they'd already earned Ninty's trust with their previous Wii U ports. Virtuos would be new to them, but I don't think it's worth ruling out.

I'd figure though, Mario Maker would probably be done inhouse, and SSB by Bandai. Something like Xenoblade X I could see being outsourced if that were the case.

-Horizon-

I really hope its an RPG. Switch needs RPGs

As one of the biggest defenders of the Switch, I really hope its not FFXV

Pretty sure the Switch would not be able to handle it.
I think the switch might actually melt based on just how an og ps4 runs the game lol

it's also just a bad and incomplete game

this is so much less likely dude

Nintendo has only a few trusted companies they work with for ports. It is unlike them to shop around to just any team

this is so much less likely dude

Nintendo has only a few trusted companies they work with for ports. It is unlike them to shop around to just any team

It's not like Nintendo does everything in-house. I know TOSE does outsourced work for Nintendo. They helped with the development of Splatoon 2, for example (source). And why should they be the only one? This isn't development of Nintendo's biggest project. This is probably a port or some additional work.

It's not like Nintendo does everything in-house. I know TOSE does outsourced work for Nintendo. They helped with the development of Splatoon 2, for example (source). And why should they be the only one? This isn't development of Nintendo's biggest project. This is probably a port or some additional work.

when Nintendo teams up they do it right. When they show confidence in a team they always put a spotlight on the game or port that team is working on.

Mass Effect 3 Wii U
Need For Speed

Yarn Kirby or Yoshi

Grezzo with Zelda and Xenoblade

Platinum with Star Fox Zero

all of these thing get highlighted on Nintendo Directs very early it shows confidence in the team working on it, why would Nintendo treat this team so differently by keeping them secret?

edit: Why are you using TOSE as an example anyway? Do your understand that TOSE does grunt work for hundreds of titles? They rarely carry a full port just code and assets work. Crediting them for Spatoon 2 is like crediting Monolith Soft for Zelda Breath of the Wild. They touched the code but does not mean they created the whole game.

Zebei

If we get any Final Fantasy games on Switch I will actually cry real tears. I need it so bad
http://www.virtuosgames.com/en/games/console-development
eZR1Gb9.jpg
We're in good hands fellas

aadiboy

Considering how many FF games Nintendo has gotten on GBA and DS, I think its pretty clear its not a problem with their relationship. Hell, Cloud ended up in smash bros. I dont see any reason why FF15 or 12 couldnt happen
Those games came out over 10 years ago, and no FF game past 6 has ever been on a Nintendo console. I just don't think SE thinks the Nintendo audiences would really like modern FF. There's a reason why so many rpgs on 3DS are chibi-fied throwbacks to classic games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why are you using TOSE as an example anyway? Do your understand that TOSE does grunt work for hundreds of titles? They rarely carry a full port just code and assets work. Crediting them for Spatoon 2 is like crediting Monolith Soft for Zelda Breath of the Wild. They touched the code but does not mean they created the whole game.

Monolith did work on the game design for BotW, so it's not really the same thing. They were certainly more involved with BotW than TOSE was on Splatoon 2.

edit: Why are you using TOSE as an example anyway? Do your understand that TOSE does grunt work for hundreds of titles? They rarely carry a full port just code and assets work. Crediting them for Spatoon 2 is like crediting Monolith Soft for Zelda Breath of the Wild. They touched the code but does not mean they created the whole game.

They don't do just ports. They also do art outsourcing. I just meant to give an example of Nintendo not doing everything in-house and this is a recent one.

Regarding holding this project under wraps, I don't know. Whoever is behind this game probably has a reason for it. I don't think it matters much who the publisher is. What matters more is when the targeted release deadline is.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I'm going for either Final Fantasy XII HD, Batman Arkham Knight or Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

The amount of work they're doing seems to suggest a current gen only downport.

Those games came out over 10 years ago, and no FF game past 6 has ever been on a Nintendo console. I just don't think SE thinks the Nintendo audiences would really like modern FF. There's a reason why so many rpgs on 3DS are chibi-fied throwbacks to classic games.

o.0

Nintendo fans don't like Final Fantasy? News to me.

Astral Dog

XV no, the game might be simple on its combat systems but SE had a lot of trouble getting it run as well as it does on the ONE/PS4, it would require a significant investment.

KH2.5/FFXII/FFX however are fair game if the market is there

Top Bottom