• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtuos (FFX+X-2, Ezio colletion, Batman RTA) porting a AAA title to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtDcyRoWf8
https://twitter.com/virtuosgames/status/819831619657744384
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/xiaoyu-zhang-4a3425a6

Linkedin said:
WIP: Porting a AAA title to Nintendo Switch™
- Re-implement the renderer with Nintendo's native graphics API(nvn)
- Design and implement the low level mechanism of graphics resource management and threading
- Exploit the performance advantages of the Vulkan-like API (UMA, explicit management of graphics memory, complete control over CPU/GPU synchronization, etc)

This discovery comes from Doctre81 (who I think is also on GAF), and most of the key info comes from a Linkedin profile.

I was reluctant to share the profile link, however the video already showed it alongside the url, and I personally spoke with Stump for advice on how to share it, over concern about exposing the employee, and got clearance to do so because of the above.

Doc seems to think it is Return to Arkham (which is Asylum and City in UE4).

To me the wording implies a singular game (all the games in the thread title are collections), so it's possibly an unannounced multiplat game? No way it's exclusive (as a Virtuos port I mean)... right?

I'd personally love a Japanese game, even Final Fantasy X and X-2 over a western game, hell Batman wasn't received well was it, HELL, did it even come out?!

Speculate away!

Edit: Just made an article of it if you feel like checking that out also. :p

https://goldmetalsonic.wordpress.com/2017/08/02/virtuos-porting-a-aaa-title-to-nintendo-switch/

Wonder how long it's been in development. Interested to find out what it is but I'm not interested in returning to Batman at the moment, so I'm hoping for something else. Guess we will see though.

True Fire

Now that the Switch is a hit I expect a lot more of these rushed "oh shit we need something out next fiscal" ports.

Virtuos doesn't inspire confidence. They're known for making games look significantly worse on more powerful consoles.

NateDrake

Return to Arkham would be an insanely late port - so late that I would dismiss it as even being a possibility. It doesn't have the lure or appeal of, say, Skyrim.

Eusis

Final Fantasy would definitely be damn nice, XII with Skyrim and Xenoblade 2 would give a LOT to play with for open-ish world RPGs.

B.K.

They did Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, didn't they? Maybe Square Enix has having them port it while the project is still fresh for them.

Give you me every collection you have 3rd parties!

I've wanted the Ezio collection on Switch since before launch.

No idea what it'll be if it's just one title though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well, if I had to take a wild guess based on publisher support I would guess SE or Ubisoft.

Goddamn if it's FXII, I JUST spent $65 on it. If that's it, I'm holding off on buying any more 3rd party games for PS4 until 2019.

Soroc

I expect all of those games to make it to Switch. Devs are now late to the party and no faster way to get in then with collection ports.

Ok ok probably not FFX/X-2 since Square can't seem to get a port out any faster then a new game.

Return to Arkham would be an insanely late port - so late that I would dismiss it as even being a possibility. It doesn't have the lure or appeal of, say, Skyrim.
Yeah, I don't really think it would make a great port for the Switch. I personally wouldn't pay for them again just to have portable versions of it, and I'm assuming it'll get at least some downgrades to get it running well.
Actually, come to think about it, I wouldn't mind playing through the challenge mode on a portable (stealth/combat scenarios). That would be a fun thing to pull out and play one or two of.

I'd probably enjoy the Ezio Collection ported to the Switch. They're my favorite games in the AC series and they're three meaty games that would work well on a portable system (not really graphical showcases and a lot of open-world content to do while watching TV or on the train).

FFX and FFX-2 would be cool, but I already own them on Vita so I doubt I'd double dip (I donkey the Switch's screen, though).
They did Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, didn't they? Maybe Square Enix has having them port it while the project is still fresh for them.
Hnnng, I'd love that. I was planning on getting it for PS4, but I can wait a little longer if there's even a chance it will come to Switch.

bryanee

I'd buy the Arkham games on Switch. Take two of my favourite games of last gen anywhere? Yes please.

aadiboy

It's not going to be Final Fantasy. Square just doesn't put FF games on Nintendo consoles, even the popular ones like 3DS, aside from lower tier spin-offs like Explorers and Theatrhythm.

Porting the first two Arkham games to UE4 instead of making straight 1080p60 ports of the UE3 PC versions made no real sense to me and still doesn't, but I guess it might at least be easier to port to Switch.

Assuming this is RTA, anyway.

Doctre81

Doc seems to think it is Return to Arkham (which is Asylum and City in UE4), and claims he has his own sources? Dunno if he himself is reliable, but we have hard proof of a Switch project being underway anyway.

LOL nah I never claimed to have any kind of source on this one (please change that from your website post). This is pure research. I have heard of other games coming but not this one.

Arkham ports at this point would be totally uninteresting. Given their history, I'd love to see the FF12 remaster. I'd be more likely to pick that up on Switch. Probably doesn't count as AAA though.

It's not going to be Final Fantasy. Square just doesn't put FF games on Nintendo consoles, even the popular ones like 3DS, aside from lower tier spin-offs like Explorers and Theatrhythm.

Well sure, except when they do. The GBA and DS got a lot of Final Fantasy love.

Effect

Final Fantasy X and X-2 would be ideal. Portable versions of those games would do well. Getting a mainline Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo home console again, even if it's old, would be something to see. The Ezio collection would be nice but I highly doubt those would get ported. I don't want it to be Return to Arkham (especially since that doesn't include Arkham Knight) but it's sadly most likely that out of the choices unfortunately.

I hope it's something else in the end though if it's not Final Fantasy.

NateDrake

Final Fantasy X and X-2 would be ideal. Portal versions of those games would do well. Getting a mainline Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo home console again, even if it's old, would be something to see. The Ezio collection would be nice but I highly doubt those would get ported. I don't want it to be Return to Arkham (especially since that doesn't include Arkham Knight) but it's sadly most likely that out of the choices unfortunately.

I hope it's something else in the end though if it's not Final Fantasy.

But they exist on the PS Vita.

Virtuos is a huge company that does outsourced work for other companies. The chances that this is about one of the ports they did in the past is very small. It could very well be a different project or even a different publisher. That makes it possibly even more existing than some collection that was released on other systems almost a year ago.

M3d10n

I'll go on a completely different direction and guess Rise of The Tomb Raider. Batman and Ezio are collections, so they would be mentioned as "games" instead of "game".

Also, the technical details they talk about seem more applicable to a game using a custom engine instead of UE4, but wouldn't be necessary for something like an HD version of a PS2 game like FF XII. It being designed as a cross gen game reduces the number of changes that may be necessary to the game itself.

Top Bottom