• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viruses being sent over IWnet (MW2 - PC)

Puck

Banned
http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=181646

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=181730

No concrete source / evidence as of yet [until some site makes a shitty article to put on n4g], but the threads seem to be serious enough that this issue is extremely damaging to not only the user, but also to Activision / IWnet.

Please keep this thread active as i'm sure it will be a bigger issue tomorrow once there is an official response.

Date/Time: 18-11-2009, 9:37:22
Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen [trojan]'
detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\...'
Action performed: Delete file
Soooo why i suddenly start getting virusses and stuff from playing the online multiplayer???

Apparently they are able to hack the server and send virus/trojans to people, in the process they run aimbot in the game, and send a non tagged member to the other team to TK.
quite a story those guys are.
This was the trojan they were trying to send;
TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen
So is this IW idea of a joke when iwnet is suppose to be hack free when yet its probably less secure than a Windows 98 system with no protection?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there's, like, fifty other threads warning people about a possible virus?

Khrno

Weenerz said:
Theres like 50 MW2 threads, did we need another?

vpx3si.gif

Puck said:
Please keep this thread active as i'm sure it will be a bigger issue tomorrow once there is an official response.
I'd be surprised if the official response isn't something like "Look, you shoulda bought the 360 version instead!".

Shitty issue though.

Plasma

Banned
Weenerz said:

This is pretty serious and good information for those who own the PC version but don't check the official thread.

Thanks for the heads up looks like I'll be avoiding MW2 for awhile ):

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh this'll make the PC players extra happy. [facepalm]

Weenerz said:

chill, mang, this is the MW2 Thread of the Day.

we're filled the quota early, today.

CTLance

Number one:
Is it a cracked copy? Because if so...​
Number two:
Just because the heuristics-based scanner claims something is a virus, it needn't actually be a virus. Especially anti-cheating software may look like a Virus for all intents and purposes: Buries itself deep into the system, attempts to attach itself to running program, extensive memory/file scanning that could look like infection routines to a scanner.
Number three:
I hate this damn age gate that just kicks me back to the index site instead of letting me continue to the friggen thread in question.
Number four:
Framework Error

Please check the Kohana documentation for information about the following error.

>/system/core/Kohana.php [554]:

The log directory is not writable: /var/www/2009/html/registration/application/logs

Loaded in {execution_time} seconds, using {memory_usage} of memory. Generated by Kohana v{kohana_version}.

....Huh. That's a new one. I can't visit the threads in the OP since the servers appear to be in trouble. Odd.​

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
CTLance said:
[/INDENT]Number four:
Framework Error

Please check the Kohana documentation for information about the following error.

>/system/core/Kohana.php [554]:

The log directory is not writable: /var/www/2009/html/registration/application/logs

Loaded in {execution_time} seconds, using {memory_usage} of memory. Generated by Kohana v{kohana_version}.

....Huh. That's a new one. I can't visit the threads in the OP since the servers appear to be in trouble. Odd.​

Perhaps the virus isn't just targeting MW2 players. Perhaps it's targeting all of Activision

luffeN

hm, this is not about mw2, but after the unlock for L4D2 antivir told me that the addoninstall.exe in the L4D2 folder is also a trojan :(

Not surprising given how relatively broken open IWNet is now on the PC. Dedicated servers, multiplayer crack, it's more than CoD 4 ever had, and all exacerbated since it's a singular centralized system.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
banKai said:
hm, this is not about mw2, but after the unlock for L4D2 antivir told me that the addoninstall.exe in the L4D2 folder is also a trojan :(
false positive, you'll be fine

CTLance

Servers seem to have rebounded.

Cripes, some of the replies on that forum make my brain hurt.

What we need is someone to upload that file somewhere so it can be analyzed/disassembled. At the moment it looks more like an over-eager AV to me. Better be safe than sorry though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
why would a game allow player servers to send executable code?

Didn't Warcraft 3 do it?

CTLance said:
Number one:Is it a cracked copy? Because if so...

Why does that fucking matter other than "DURR VIRUSES IN PIRATED COPIES?" Considering this is being "sent over IWnet" this affects legit and non-legit alike.

Peronthious said:
Not surprising given how relatively broken open IWNet is now on the PC. Dedicated servers, multiplayer crack, it's more than CoD 4 ever had, and all exacerbated since it's a singular centralized system.

Don't forget the three hidden gamemodes if PC users reactivate the console! (Man, I wish someone would hack a PS3 gamesave *unless IW got smart* to do that... :( /bind button_up team_say "GET ON THE POINT, DUMBASS" :()

snap0212

How long does it take until Infinity Ward realizes that all of this was a huge mistake? Can't wait for their excuses. :lol

CTLance

TheSeks said:
Why does that fucking matter other than "DURR VIRUSES IN PIRATED COPIES?" Considering this is being "sent over IWnet" this affects legit and non-legit alike.
Eh, have we read the same thread? It's just a bunch of dudes agreeing with each other that apparently AVG and avira throw a shitfit over some file that is apparently accessed/dropped on their PC while playing MW2. No files, no proof, and a scarcity on genuine, verifiable info. So excuuuse me, princess, when I cover all vectors I could think of.

MW2 is an awesome target to slip in some malware undetected one way or another. Gamers are more likely to rip open their firewalls, stay connected, have ample bandwidth, and run many programs that lead to false positives in AV software, meaning the malware has a chance of being ignored by accident.

There are three scenarios (besides the "false positive" angle) in this, if you ask me.

It could be a legit self-updating anti-cheat software doing its job, as intended. It could be a genuine hack using a buffer overflow or the likes, affecting legit and illegitimate users alike. It could be a filedropper hidden away in a crack/loader/whatever, not necessarily for MW2. It's a great idea to poll whether there's a fullscreen app running before doing... stuff.

There's also a possibility that this is all FUD and someone's laughing right now, diabolically at that.

Damn, IW servers gave out on me again. What's up with that.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
So they're not maintaining control over packet content? Is that stuff completely unchecked? Is there no rejection strategy? Like, a sequence algorithm or something?

If yes: What the fuck? Fix it.
If no: Either they figured it out or this is fake / some other virus / false positive.

Is that stuff coming over UDP or over TCP? Why is it assembled? If it weren't, it wouldn't match the XPACK pattern.

All in all, sounds extremely unlikely.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
fourzerotwo said:
Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

I guess some of the new features include viruses. :lol

KHarvey16

It's still important to keep in mind this is likely a false positive given the information we have. I'd save the derision until we know what's up.

shuri

Banned
No concrete source / evidence as of yet

Yeah ok, that should be put into the thread title...

edit: Crypt.XPACK.Gen is a virus that is spread by MSN. That moron got infected earlier in the day, and his scanner probabgly picked it up during a routine scan of the file system while he was playing

edit2: Crypt.XPACK.Gen is also a two years old virus.

edit3: lock this thread, its only spreading FUD

edit4: It seems that variants of Crypt.XPACK.Gen were also spread with COD4 aimbots :lol

minus_273

Banned
man i love the internet. there is nothing saying there is an actual virus or that it came from the game. those forum posts are as conclusive as this:

poster 1: hey guys i just got a ps3 hooked it to my home network and now i have avirus. ps3 spreads viruses.
poster 2: omg i just scanned my computer with the same progam. I have a virus too. nooo.
poster 3: thanks op. we didnt have this problem with xbox live. i wonder what the difference is hmmm
poster 4: psn causes viruses confrimed!

this then proceeds to be spread all over the net.

Top Bottom