• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral goes over feedback received from Battlefield: Hardline beta

I'm surprised it took EA so long to run Battlefield into the ground. Soon to join Medal of Honor if there not careful. Might be inevitable with DICE being busy with Battlefront and Battlefield getting passed around other studios. Hardline bombs, then BF3 : Pirates bombs next, it's over until the hyped return of BF5 that fails to match a new king, could be time for another dev to hit a high note. Like MOH, BF will have lost it.

I kinda agree with this. If EA thinks they can pump out another 2 year BF title next year and compete with a 3 year'd Treyarch COD I feel they are going to have a rude awakening.

UglyPony

I couldn't give two shits about battlefield. To bad Visceral isn't working on a sequel for Dante's Inferno (purgatorio) or a proper Dead Space.

Everyone's spot on with the apathy comments. I was enamored with BC2, spent 162 hours in it. Got BF3, and you know it was pretty alright as well, spent another 62 hours. BF4? I played it for 10 hours, hated it, sold it off. Hardline? Couldn't even be bothered to try the Beta. And that's pretty bad, since I love trying Betas.

Well last year Battlefield 4 was $25 at wal mart just weeks after it released, was $25 on black Friday

If the Xbox one or PS4 version is $30 I'll pick it up this year

Not paying $60 but the beta was ok

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
EA has to be shitting their pants with the little attention BFH is receiving.

It's like nobody gives a fuck about it.
Poor Visceral :(

It was one of the most buzz/talked about game coming out of e3 across almost all metrics I've seen. The internet Is a big place my friend.

This game is gonna bomb for EA. It'll actually sell a lot, but not for EA standards. Then they will blame it on Visceral, and goodbye Visceral. Sad but true.

Gator86

This game is gonna bomb for EA. It'll actually sell a lot, but not for EA standards. Then they will blame it on Visceral, and goodbye Visceral. Sad but true.

I think this is what a lot of people are thinking. Just swap in Visceral

hE525CD30

njean777

EA has to be shitting their pants with the little attention BFH is receiving.

It's like nobody gives a fuck about it.
Poor Visceral :(

The cynic in me says they will close Visceral when this game does poorly (due to BF4, and them being stupid and trying to force another BF game down our throats when one is not needed), and I for one will be super pissed.

Playing the beta I couldn't see how it would be ready for this year.

Really? This was the most polished BF game I've every played, and that was 4 months from release. BF3's beta ended 2 weeks before release and had a massive glitch that put you under the map by just playing it, no exploiting needed.

Str1ke4

I don't get this line of reasoning at all? Hardline is more different from BF4 than BF4 was from BF3. All new maps, all new vehicles, all new single player campaign, a completely different upgrade system, new game modes based around heists, a much more refined UI, and an entirely different theme to the whole thing. How in the hell is this a mod to BF4? It runs on the same engine...okay, so is every game that runs on Frostbite now just a mod of BF4? You can argue the quality of the game that we have played so far, as something definitely felt a little off in the Beta, but to call it no more than a mod is just absurd. I have to imagine that this is more about people's hatred of BF4 than it is about the quality of Hardline.

Spot on.

I played about 13 hours of it and i really don't see how its a mod. Almost everything feels different. The guns handle differently, the theme is completely different which also means the vehicles and gadgets are differnet (zip lining across building or using a grapple hook to get to many different spots). The game modes are also pretty different., the game runs better than BF4, the unlock system is 10x better than bf4 and the battlepack system. It gets pretty hectic when both teams actually know how to play and your trying to do everything you can to stop that bag from getting to its destination. Oh, and the one map we had in the beta was great too. 3 skyscrapers with elevators to the top and a 4th with a helicopter on top.

Also, its pretty weird how people somehow know exactly how much content is in the game.

I don't get this line of reasoning at all? Hardline is more different from BF4 than BF4 was from BF3. All new maps, all new vehicles, all new single player campaign, a completely different upgrade system, new game modes based around heists, a much more refined UI, and an entirely different theme to the whole thing. How in the hell is this a mod to BF4? It runs on the same engine...okay, so is every game that runs on Frostbite now just a mod of BF4? You can argue the quality of the game that we have played so far, as something definitely felt a little off in the Beta, but to call it no more than a mod is just absurd. I have to imagine that this is more about people's hatred of BF4 than it is about the quality of Hardline.

Did you ever play Desert Combat for Battlefield 1942? That was a mod that changed more than Hardline does. Only thing it didn't have was a campaign because people play Battlefield for multiplayer.

Any half decent total conversion changes more than this game does. It's a shame people have completely forgotten what modders were capable of doing before the industry crippled modding.

Linkinito

If you don't want to pay full price, just wait a few months for a bit more stability and a better player base. Oh, and less pricey too.

ILoveBish

Until i get a full refund from EA for BF4, im not paying them a cent for another game from them. I hope this feedback helps.

Nokterian

Everyone's spot on with the apathy comments. I was enamored with BC2, spent 162 hours in it. Got BF3, and you know it was pretty alright as well, spent another 62 hours. BF4? I played it for 10 hours, hated it, sold it off. Hardline? Couldn't even be bothered to try the Beta. And that's pretty bad, since I love trying Betas.

So someone at work told me i cannot judge a game after spending playing it for 4 hours orso. Well i can BF4 was one of the worst i played in a long longtime. And he said he played 1000 hours and i said so what's the difference? I spend a lot of money on it and i expect at least it works good from the start. Yes bugs will be there, no nothing is perfect but i do want to see that it just works from the get go even after 4 hours and nothing is still not working properly i am just done and will not go back to it even when they say they fixed nearly 7/8 fucking months later it's pathetic. I paid 120 euro's for BF4 and got shit for granded instead.

People thought this about the last MoH.

MoH:WF was bad game that got critically panned because EA was stupid with it's review copies which forced the reviewers to review the SP solely.
I don't think we know enough about Hardline to really draw comparisons yet.

I just wish DICE would have fired whoever does their menus and hired the MoH person. In comparison to BF3/4 MoH:WF had some damn good menus and party management from what I remember.

raindoc

Out of everyone on my friends list and all my friends at work maybe one person is actually excited about Hardline.

It's kind of shocking how few shits anyone gives about this game. sent to die, essentially.
If I had to decide between getting BF4 and Hardline, I'd buy the latter. IMHO Visceral's Beta worked better than DICE's BF4 more than half a year post launch.
But I just got a PS4 with BF4 + Premium a month ago and do not feel the need to shove just one more cent down into EA's throat for a while. I'll be waiting for Battlefront to cave in.

Nokterian

If I had to decide between getting BF4 and Hardline, I'd buy the latter. IMHO Visceral's Beta worked better than DICE's BF4 more than half a year post launch.
But I just got a PS4 with BF4 + Premium a month ago and do not feel the need to shove just one more cent down into EA's throat for a while. I'll be waiting for Battlefront to cave in.

You should know that the netcode is still the same as it was with the release of BF4 in Hardline. It's beta yes but not the new netcode was used unlike in BF4.

n0tail

Banned
Great to see. I actually made a forum thread about #9 and a lot of people agreed. Glad to see it made it in the top ten first fixes.

antitrop

MoH:WF was bad game that got critically panned because EA was stupid with it's review copies which forced the reviewers to review the SP solely.
I don't think we know enough about Hardline to really draw comparisons yet.

I just wish DICE would have fired whoever does their menus and hired the MoH person. In comparison to BF3/4 MoH:WF had some damn good menus and party management from what I remember.
Reviews of Warfighter's MP would not have done its Metacritic score any favors.

tanooki27

Came here to say this. Should be DLC. I may be a cynical asshole but I think this is almost a unanimous opinion.

just popping in to say no.

I loved the beta, played it for hours. exhilarating stuff. if you ask me, most of the hate for this game is residual bf4/ea soreness.

but believe it or not, visceral has what looks to be a great game here. well worth a full retail sku.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I said it when I saw the blog post. It's good that they're taking my critic (which seemed to be popular?) on having a "handbrake"/drifting ability in cars. Makes no damn sense to have a cops and robbers/urban environment title with cars where you can't do that at high-speeds.

Now if they fix the motorcycles to not be "on rails"
despite me liking that kinda
and handle like a motorcycle (similar to MotoGP?) vehicles would be a step up from the infantry vehicles that BF normally has.

Doesn't fix the--

tanooki27 said:
most of the hate for this game is residual bf4/ea soreness.
'

--Hahahahahahahahaha. No. As someone that has put in 800 hours into BF4 and has played it for FAR longer than most of GAF (and put up with it willingly), no. This game feels like a "mod" to BF4 and doesn't fix some of the issues that has and in-fact brings MORE issues in regards to gameplay with it.

Like I was saying: It doesn't fix the fact that the two modes they introduced were HORRIBLE, they don't differentate themselves enough Rush/CTF (Heist), Conquest/CTF (Blood Money) enough to be "WOW THAT'S WORTH IT."

Also the map is TERRIBLE for the modes (and probably just a bad map in general) You can literally take B bag from the bridge to B point in minutes with the zipline via the roof of the one building north of the robbers on that map. Unless the cops purposely camp and spawn trap the robbers, the robbers can literally end the matches in minutes on Heist. How is that good/worth $60?

They need another "beta"/possible closed-CTE a la BF4's CTE to get feedback from those of us in the BF community that WANT the game to improve/care about it. Because as it is: I'm not alone (BF community, talking about) in this feeling.

Good that you like it right now, but you're in the minority it seems.

terrible

Banned
Yeah, it seems like a lot of the "it feels like a BF4 mod" talk is coming from actual BF4 fans. I've put 400+ hours into BF4 across three platforms (360, PS4, and PC) and while I think hardline is fun it doesn't do anything different enough to make me want to buy it or even play it over BF4. BF4 is quite simply better.

Aaron

This would do very well at $40. At $60, especially after the BF4 launch disaster, it comes off as franchise-killing greed.

BigDug13

I feel like EA is trying too hard to push this series to a yearly release like CoD but they simply do not have the studio muscle and streamlined pipeline to get it done. They're pushing Dice to release unfinished games and pushing their other studios into pushing out something smaller and too unfinished that is undeserving to be up against CoD. Dice can handle it if given the time, but I feel like this game is going to be another train wreck for different reasons than BF4's launch.

3DShovel

Beta was really bad. Performed horribly and just felt like a bad mod.

Sad, because the concept could've been really cool.

I'd rather they focus on making the Dead Space game they want, not the Dead Space game that EA wants, which sucks (3).

Deadbeat

Banned
I kinda agree with this. If EA thinks they can pump out another 2 year BF title next year and compete with a 3 year'd Treyarch COD I feel they are going to have a rude awakening.
Thats why if they are sane it will be Battlefield: Star Wars versus Black Ops 3. The Star Wars franchise the only thing keeping them alive.
I feel like EA is trying too hard to push this series to a yearly release like CoD but they simply do not have the studio muscle and streamlined pipeline to get it done. They're pushing Dice to release unfinished games and pushing their other studios into pushing out something smaller and too unfinished that is undeserving to be up against CoD. Dice can handle it if given the time, but I feel like this game is going to be another train wreck for different reasons than BF4's launch.
Its why BF3 is better. It wasnt being made for 5 platforms. They could for the most part handle the time crunch.

RoKKeR

Man, I think this game is going to bomb spectacularly. I feel badly because I actually really like Visceral, but them trying to pull off a mod of BF4 as a full priced release in an October packed with way better offerings is a recipe for disaster.

I know EA's expectations are low, but I'd be surprised if this sold more than 5 million by the end of the holidays.

Haines

Banned
I bought bf3 than the pumped out a million paid contents which turned me off than bf4 is out shortly after which fuck that clearly its going to be rushed turns out I was right so never touched that and now they want me to care about this new one shortly after that?

Prove to me its a good game with a fair price. Only then will I even take a look past that scripted e3 shit

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Visceral should have made something original. Hardline will flop. Between Destiny and Advanced Warfare it'll be forgotten within a month. The beta felt sloppy.

I love the first Dead Space. Make more in that vein of games.

Kanyon

Like it or not everything points to another EA FPS next Fall, and with the first Star Wars movie releasing next Winter EA would have to be the thickest company in existence not to coincide that with Battlefront.

I totally agree with this, EA would have to be stupid not to hitch their wagon onto the EPVII hype to drive sales of Battlefront. The only flaw in this plan I can see is if EPVII gets delayed into 2016, wit either screws up the launch date for the game or it might give DICE some time to polish Battlefront for a later release.

As for BF: Hardline, watching the videos of the Beta has not got me interested in the slightest. Put about 300 hours into BF3 and about 150 into BF4 and it has completely burnt me out. Shame really because Visceral deserves better than this.

Loxley

Rainbow 6: Siege pretty much squashed any interest I had after the Hardline reveal. That game looks to be a true successor to SWAT4, even if the focus is going to be more in the multiplayer than the SP.

Jito

Banned
Pretty gutted we get a BF4 mod from Visceral instead of another Dead Space. Didn't even bother trying the beta because it looked so similar to BF4.

Top Bottom