• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visiting Japan - Tokyo and ??? - advice please

God Enel

Hey guys,

I’m going to visit Japan in September most probably. I and a friend will be there for ~14 days (could be a day more or less depending on the flights we’re booking)

Can you guys give me any Tipps? Where to go? what to see? what to do? We wanna go party at least one night in Tokyo. Any clubs you guys can recommend?

The only place I wanna go to is the one piece store - that’s a must for me.

Personally I would love to see some of the “classic” Japan, too, though I don’t know how far away the smaller villages are.
And it would be awesome to see a sumo fight. What are the prices for that? Is it expensive?
How much money do I need to take with me? We’re more or less going to backpack and we definitely want to sleep at least once in one of those “capsule-hotels”.

Thank you guys.

And one last question: where can I buy the hattori Hanzo? And how the fuck can I get it through security check at the airport? 🤣

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
My personal advice as someone who basically stays in Tokyo one-third of the year is to stick to Tokyo and its surroundings. The city is so big and there are so many things to see that two weeks go by in a flash, and adding travel time in the middle is just going to be a waste. After eight years of going there, I haven't seen half of it.

First piece of advice right as you get off the plane: if you land in Haneda you're fine, you're already in Tokyo. If you land in Narita, your trip hasn't ended yet. Take the Keisei Skyliner and not the Narita Express unless you plan to stay in Shinjuku, Tokyo Station area, or Shinagawa. It's cheaper, faster, and better in every way. If you want to save money, the Keisei line also offers cheaper but slower alternatives and has comfy stops in Nippori and Ikebukuro.

Incidentally, Nippori station is a good landing zone in Tokyo, as it's smaller and stations like Tokyo and Shinjuku can be VERY confusing for a newbie.

Get yourself a Suica card (or a Pasmo, it's the same thing). You can find it basically at every station. It costs only 500 yen plus whatever you want to charge it with, and it allows you to travel hassle-free for the rest of the trip. The 500 yen is a deposit, and if you plan to never come back, you can get it back by returning the card at the airport before you leave.

Of course, you should probably go to Tokyo Game Show. public days are crowded, hot, and sweaty, but it's one of the best gaming shows out there, if not the best.

In Tokyo, there are just a million places to go. For clubs, you should probably stick to the Shibuya area unless you know what you're doing, because Kabukicho and Roppongi can be pretty hardcore tourist traps. I suggest actually looking up the Meetup app, which has a lot of club going stuff that is a bit more foreigner friendly (but still full of Japanese to socialize with). The weekly pub crawl isn't bad if you can hold your drinks :D If you're with them, you're fine in any area, as they'll keep the group out of trouble.

To see some classic Japan, there's plenty you can find around Tokyo. The Takao area is great (Takaosanguchi station, not Takao station) especially if you love Trekking.

The smaller suburban cities around Tokyo can also be a lot of fun for a day trip, including Yokohama, Yokosuka (if you like battleships you must visit the Mikasa), Tachikawa, Hachioji, and if you like a more classic atmosphere with temples and more, you can go all the way to Kamakura and Narita You really don't need to travel far from Tokyo to get into smaller villages and such.

Look up traditional festivals in and around Tokyo. There's plenty in September since it's still summer. Good food, local flavor, and plenty of fun to be had. I believe there's one close to Yoyogi park with plenty of food from various regions of Japan.

Even Shotengai (traditional local shopping streets) are a lot of fun to explore for the local flavor, and there's pretty much one in every neighborhood. If you go to Kichijoji, the Sun Road and Daya Road shotengai are great, and they're going to be a new location in Persona 5 lol. The beef mecnikatsu you can find at Satou in Daya Road is one of the best things you'll eat in Tokyo.

If you're with your significant other, good date spots are Odaiba (a bit more pricey) and Kichijoji. You really can't go wrong with the Odaiba Ferris wheel and a boat ride in the classic pond at the Inokashira park in Kichijoji (i mean, it can be fun even with a friend, but be ready to be surrounded by couples).

If you go to Odaiba, it's fun to take the Tokyo Cruise from Asakusa (which is also another nice place to visit, if a bit tourist trappy, nowadays, but the temple complex is great). Their ships are designed by Leiji Matsumoto, and it isn't too costly (about 1500 yen a person one way, you can do the return trip with the train).

If you're into museums, a good start is Ueno Park, which has plenty, on top of a zoo with pandas.

I never went to sumo fights, so I don't have much experience, but I don't believe they're very expensive since it's a popular sports.

For capsule hotels, there's one in Akihabara that seems pretty fun (only seen from outside). The name is Glansit. I'd say about 1000-1500 $ are fine if you're going to backpack, but that also depends on shopping and eating. Don't go to touristy restaurants, look where the Japanese eat and do the same. It's gonna be yummy and very affordable.

Family Restaurants are fun and affordable, that includes popular chains like Gusto, Saizerya, Bikkuri Donki, Jonathan's, Coco, and Danny's. From the appearance, they seem to be serving western food, but they do it in a really funny "Japanese" way that makes the experience very different from similar places in the west. They also have seasonal menus that offer interesting stuff for cheap. Of course, ramen shops will be your bread and butter, and when you're really hungry, try an all-you-can-eat place for lunch. Eating out at lunch pretty much always saves you money. Don't be afraid to go to chain places. In japan they're much better than in the west. As a matter of fact, it's really hard to find food that isn't good in Japan, even at convenience stores.

I advise staying out of tourist traps. IE: crap like the robot restaurants in Kabukicho. They're pricey and they're ultimately crap. On the other hand, the small bars in Golden Gai (still in Kabukicho) are awesome. Small bars and eateries are awesome period, regardless of where you go. If a place is called something Yokocho, you're pretty much guaranteed to find nice small bars there.

For sightseeing from above, you can go to the Tokyo Government Office in Shinjuku (Tochomae station on the Oedo Line). It's free and great, and you don't need to pay the fees required at Skytree or Tokyo Tower. The difference is really not worth it.

For anything that attracts crowds, try to go on a weekday. EVERYTHING is very crowded in the weekends, and that includes bars and restaurant. Be ready to line up a lot on Friday and Saturday night, even for a seat at an Isakaya. Incidentally, Isakaya are great, but keep a close eye on the bill, because it's easy to go overboard (try to stick to those that have a tablet for ordering, it's often in English and lets you bring up your current bill at any time).

if you have a weekday free, and like Disney, the Disney Sea park is a lot of fun, and a bit more mature-oriented (they even sell alcohol) compared to Disneyland. It's pricey but worth it for a different experience compared even to western Disney parks. do NOT go on a holiday of any sort.

For gaming related fun, of course, there is Akihabara, but I also advise Nakano and its geeky mall Nakano Broadway. The VR Zone in Kabukicho is fun even if a bit pricey. Keep in mind that both Akihabara and Nakano are home to a massively flourishing preowned market, so don't buy stuff new unless you can't avoid it.

As for stores, Super Potato is fun to visit if you like retro stuff but do not buy there. They're basically a tourist trap for gamers and their prices are pretty bad. Surugaya, Trader, and Mandarake are better bets (in that order).

Personally, I don't care for maid cafes, but I know many enjoy them and they're pretty innocuous, albeit a bit pricey. Go if you like, but if it looks seedy, it probably is. If you're into more "adult" entertainment, I'm afraid most don't accept foreigners, and those that do, aren't good, so you're out of luck there.

I just came back from Tokyo Yesterday, and now I miss it already lol. I'll have to wait until September myself to go back.

PS: if you plan to shop a lot, remember to bring plenty of luggage space. It's VERY VERY easy to go overboard on your first trip to Tokyo especially if you're into stuff like games, figures, manga (be careful those are HEAVY) and such: Thanks to the preowned market I mentioned above, they're cheap and tempting.

Finding out that you have to leave stuff behind to get the luggage into the flight is a bad way to end your trip (and shipping stuff back is pricey). If you find yourself over capacity (try to find out at least 3-4 days before your trip ends), buying an additional suitcase is your best bet. You can find some easily and cheaply on Amazon Japan, and they do deliver to hotels quickly.

Last edited:

God Enel

My personal advice as someone who basically stays in Tokyo one-third of the year is to stick to Tokyo and its surroundings. The city is so big and there are so many things to see that two weeks go by in a flash, and adding travel time in the middle is just going to be a waste.

First piece of advice right as you get off the plane. If you land in Haneda you're fine, you're already in Tokyo. If you land in Narita, your trip hasn't ended yet. Take the Keisei Skyliner and not the Narita Express unless you plan to stay in Shinjuku, Tokyo Station area, or Shinagawa. It's cheaper, faster, and better in every way. If you want to save money, the Keisei line also offers cheaper but slower alternatives and has comfy stops in Nippori and Ikebukuro.

Incidentally, Nippori station is a good landing zone in Tokyo, as it's smaller and stations like Tokyo and Shinjuku can be VERY confusing for a newbie.

Of course, you should probably go to Tokyo Game Show. public days are crowded, hot, and sweaty, but it's one of the best gaming shows out there, if not the best.

In Tokyo, there are just a million places to go. For clubs, you should probably stick to the Shibuya area unless you know what you're doing, because Kabukicho and Roppongi can be pretty hardcore tourist traps. I suggest actually looking up the Meetup app, which has a lot of club going stuff that is a bit more foreigner friendly (but still full of Japanese to socialize with). The weekly pub crawl isn't bad if you can hold your drinks :D If you're with them, you're fine in any area, as they'll keep the group out of trouble.

To see some classic Japan, there's plenty you can find around Tokyo. The Takao area is great (Takaosanguchi station, not Takao station) especially if you love Trekking.

The smaller suburban cities around Tokyo can also be a lot of fun for a day trip, including Yokohama, Yokosuka (if you like battleships you must visit the Mikasa), Tachikawa, Hachioji, and if you like a more classic atmosphere with temples and more, you can go all the way to Kamakura and Narita You really don't need to travel far from Tokyo to get into smaller villages and such.

Look up traditional festivals in and around Tokyo. There's plenty in September since it's still summer. Good food, local flavor, and plenty of fun to be had. I believe there's one close to Yoyogi park with plenty of food from various regions of Japan.

Even Shotengai (traditional local shopping streets) are a lot of fun to explore for the local flavor, and there's pretty much one in every neighborhood. If you go to Kichijoji, the Sun Road and Daya Road shotengai are great, and they're going to be a new location in Persona 5 lol. The beef mecnikatsu you can find at Satou in Daya Road is one of the best things you'll eat in Tokyo.

If you're with your significant other, good date spots are Odaiba (a bit more pricey) and Kichijoji. You really can't go wrong with the Odaiba Ferris wheel and a boat ride in the classic pond at the Inokashira park in Kichijoji (i mean, it can be fun even with a friend, but be ready to be surrounded by couples).

If you go to Odaiba, it's fun to take the Tokyo Cruise from Asakusa (which is also another nice place to visit, if a bit tourist trappy, nowadays, but the temple complex is great). Their ships are designed by Leiji Matsumoto, and it isn't too costly (about 1500 yen a person one way, you can do the return trip with the train).

If you're into museums, a good start is Ueno Park, which has plenty, on top of a zoo with pandas.

I never went to sumo fights, so I don't have much experience, but I don't believe they're very expensive since it's a popular sports.

For capsule hotels, there's one in Akihabara that seems pretty fun (only seen from outside). The name is Glansit. I'd say about 1000-1500 $ are fine if you're going to backpack, but that also depends on shopping and eating. Don't go to touristy restaurants, look where the Japanese eat and do the same. It's gonna be yummy and very affordable.

Family Restaurants are fun and affordable, that includes popular chains like Gusto, Saizerya, Bikkuri Donki, Jonathan's, Coco, and Danny's. From the appearance, they seem to be serving western food, but they do it in a really funny "Japanese" way that makes the experience very different from similar places in the west. They also have seasonal menus that offer interesting stuff for cheap. Of course, ramen shops will be your bread and butter, and when you're really hungry, try an all-you-can-eat place for lunch. Eating out at lunch pretty much always saves you money. Don't be afraid to go to chain places. In japan they're much better than in the west. As a matter of fact, it's really hard to find food that isn't good in Japan, even at convenience stores.

I advise staying out of tourist traps. IE: crap like the robot restaurants in Kabukicho. They're pricey and they're ultimately crap. On the other hand, the small bars in Golden Gai (still in Kabukicho) are awesome. Small bars and eateries are awesome period, regardless of where you go.

For sightseeing from above, you can go to the Tokyo Government Office in Shinjuku (Tochomae station on the Oedo Line). It's free and great, and you don't need to pay the fees required at Skytree or Tokyo Tower.

For anything that attracts crowds, try to go on a weekday. EVERYTHING is very crowded in the weekends, and that includes bars and restaurant. Be ready to line up a lot on Friday and Saturday night, even for a seat at an Isakaya. Incidentally, Isakaya are great, but keep a close eye on the bill, because it's easy to go overboard (try to stick to those that have a tablet for ordering, it's often in English and lets you bring up your current bill at any time).

if you have a weekday free, and like Disney, the Disney Sea park is a lot of fun, and a bit more mature-oriented (they even sell alcohol) compared to Disneyland. It's pricey but worth it for a different experience compared even to western Disney parks. do NOT go on a holiday of any sort.

For gaming related fun, of course, there is Akihabara, but I also advise Nakano and its geeky mall Nakano Broadway. The VR Zone in Kabukicho is fun even if a bit pricey. Keep in mind that both Akihabara and Nakano are home to a massively flourishing preowned market, so don't buy stuff new unless you can't avoid it.

As for stores, Super Potato is fun to visit if you like retro stuff but do not buy there. They're basically a tourist trap for gamers and their prices are pretty bad. Surugaya, Trader, and Mandarake are better bets.

Personally, I don't care for maid cafes, but I know many enjoy them and they're pretty innocuous, albeit a bit pricey. Go if you like, but if it looks seedy, it probably is. If you're into more "adult" entertainment, I'm afraid most don't accept foreigners, and those that do, aren't good, so you're out of luck there.

I just came back from Tokyo Yesterday, and now I miss it already lol. I'll have to wait until September myself to go back.

I’m at the gym right now and I’m gonna read it later.
But I want to thank you for the wall of text! Arrigato!

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I’m at the gym right now and I’m gonna read it later.
But I want to thank you for the wall of text! Arrigato!

You're very welcome. I think I covered about 1/100 of what there is to say about Tokyo, but it's fun to explore on your own, and much safer than most western cities. Just steer clear of touts in Kabukicho, Roppongi, and Ikebukuro, even if most will avoid you anyway, being a foreigner and all :p

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Is the Tokyo game show in September? I’ll be there from the ~7.9 - ~20.09
Tokyo Game Show 2019
103 days left​
Tokyo Game Show
Date: 9/12/2019 - 9/15/2019
Venue: Makuhari Messe, Tokyo, Japan

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Is the Tokyo game show in September? I’ll be there from the ~7.9 - ~20.09

Yep. You're right on time. The public days are Sept. 14 and 15. Don't go on Sept 12 and 13 unless you have industry friends that can find you an in, because those are press/industry-reserved days, so you'd find yourself in Chiba (TGS isn't actually in Tokyo, but in the nearby Chiba, about 30 minutes from Tokyo Station) locked out of the gates.

God Enel

Where to eat Sushi? And where to eat the “it will kill you when cooked wrong”-fish? (Forgot the name)

My personal advice as someone who basically stays in Tokyo one-third of the year is to stick to Tokyo and its surroundings. The city is so big and there are so many things to see that two weeks go by in a flash, and adding travel time in the middle is just going to be a waste. After eight years of going there, I haven't seen half of it.

First piece of advice right as you get off the plane: if you land in Haneda you're fine, you're already in Tokyo. If you land in Narita, your trip hasn't ended yet. Take the Keisei Skyliner and not the Narita Express unless you plan to stay in Shinjuku, Tokyo Station area, or Shinagawa. It's cheaper, faster, and better in every way. If you want to save money, the Keisei line also offers cheaper but slower alternatives and has comfy stops in Nippori and Ikebukuro.

Get yourself a Suica card (or a Pasmo, it's the same thing). You can find it basically at every station. It costs only 500 yen plus whatever you want to charge it with, and it allows you to travel hassle-free for the rest of the trip. The 500 yen is a deposit, and if you plan to never come back, you can get it back by returning the card at the airport before you leave.

I advise staying out of tourist traps. IE: crap like the robot restaurants in Kabukicho. They're pricey and they're ultimately crap. On the other hand, the small bars in Golden Gai (still in Kabukicho) are awesome. Small bars and eateries are awesome period, regardless of where you go. If a place is called something Yokocho, you're pretty much guaranteed to find nice small bars there.

For sightseeing from above, you can go to the Tokyo Government Office in Shinjuku (Tochomae station on the Oedo Line). It's free and great, and you don't need to pay the fees required at Skytree or Tokyo Tower. The difference is really not worth it.

As for stores, Super Potato is fun to visit if you like retro stuff but do not buy there. They're basically a tourist trap for gamers and their prices are pretty bad. Surugaya, Trader, and Mandarake are better bets (in that order).

PS: if you plan to shop a lot, remember to bring plenty of luggage space. It's VERY VERY easy to go overboard on your first trip to Tokyo especially if you're into stuff like games, figures, manga (be careful those are HEAVY) and such: Thanks to the preowned market I mentioned above, they're cheap and tempting.

Finding out that you have to leave stuff behind to get the luggage into the flight is a bad way to end your trip (and shipping stuff back is pricey). If you find yourself over capacity (try to find out at least 3-4 days before your trip ends), buying an additional suitcase is your best bet. You can find some easily and cheaply on Amazon Japan, and they do deliver to hotels quickly.

Lots of what he said, ive been going to Tokyo since 2004 and i never get tired of it. Finally moving there in a few months if Visa goes through properly. Dont make any solid plans, write down a few places you really wanna go and for the rest choose a new place each day , get on a train and go. Travel around Tokyo is a breeze once you understand the trains. When i was there again in february i was picking new restaurants to go to everyday to try....i found a few ill be returning to a lot.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Where to eat Sushi? And where to eat the “it will kill you when cooked wrong”-fish? (Forgot the name)

any reasonably priced kaiten sushi (the sushi-go-round places with the conveyor belt) chain is good for average sushi. If you want to go into the pricey range, well, you won't find bad places. Even if there was one, it wouldn't last long.

No idea on where to eat fugu, because it's really not my thing.

Last edited:
You're very welcome. I think I covered about 1/100 of what there is to say about Tokyo, but it's fun to explore on your own, and much safer than most western cities. Just steer clear of touts in Kabukicho, Roppongi, and Ikebukuro, even if most will avoid you anyway, being a foreigner and all :p

Depends where they are from, ive lived in LA for the last 18 years, by comparison kabukicho is about as life threatening as pricking your finger on a rose thorn. Absolutely dont avoid Rappongi either, half of that town is extremely classy. Ikebukuro is one of my favorite areas. To be fair if you are talking about unbearable Nigerian and korean touters....when i was there a few months back both Kabukicho and "that area" in roppongi ( i think you know what i mean) were completely devoid of them...i think law enforcement cleaned it all away.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned

Sushi:

Fugu:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Depends where they are from, ive lived in LA for the last 18 years, by comparison kabukicho is about as life threatening as pricking your finger on a rose thorn. Absolutely dont avoid Rappongi either, half of that town is extremely classy. Ikebukuro is one of my favorite areas. To be fair if you are talking about unbearable Nigerian and korean touters....when i was there a few months back both Kabukicho and "that area" in roppongi ( i think you know what i mean) were completely devoid of them...i think law enforcement cleaned it all away.

I didn't say to avoid the places, just the touts :D

And yes, the Nigerian touts have been completely cleaned up by the police a few months ago, which made the situation a whole lot better.

Most of the Japanese touts will avoid foreigners, but I've seen a few trying their luck last month (my base of operations is right in the middle of the "seedy" part of Ikebukuro lol, I guess they're used to seeing me around by now), but I don't think anything they offer is something I'd advise to a Tokyo first timer, especially on a budget. Personally, I'm not into that anyway.

The problem isn't that this kind of stuff in Tokyo is more dangerous than anywhere else. It isn't. But the language and culture barrier can create awkward situations.

God Enel

I read through your post Abriael_GN Abriael_GN and I don’t know where to start. I don’t know shit about Tokyo and you Gave me so much input that I have to process all of this information slowly and with google.
I’m not really into anime. I watch some shows and yeah I’m not that much into gaming anymore. But I will buy a lot of shit. That’s for sure. From shirts to one piece stuff and i don’t know what else is there to buy lol

CyberPanda

Banned
I read through your post Abriael_GN Abriael_GN and I don’t know where to start. I don’t know shit about Tokyo and you Gave me so much input that I have to process all of this information slowly and with google.
I’m not really into anime. I watch some shows and yeah I’m not that much into gaming anymore. But I will buy a lot of shit. That’s for sure. From shirts to one piece stuff and i don’t know what else is there to buy lol
Just watch the flying the nest videos. Those guys show everything and tell what to see and do. Very informative, and they are a pleasure to watch.

aa_Pregnant_Nun

Neo Member
Hey guys,

I’m going to visit Japan in September most probably. I and a friend will be there for ~14 days (could be a day more or less depending on the flights we’re booking)

Can you guys give me any Tipps? Where to go? what to see? what to do? We wanna go party at least one night in Tokyo. Any clubs you guys can recommend?

Personally I would love to see some of the “classic” Japan, too, though I don’t know how far away the smaller villages are.
And it would be awesome to see a sumo fight. What are the prices for that? Is it expensive?
How much money do I need to take with me? We’re more or less going to backpack and we definitely want to sleep at least once in one of those “capsule-hotels”.

Thank you guys.

And one last question: where can I buy the hattori Hanzo? And how the fuck can I get it through security check at the airport? 🤣
I went to Tokyo for 2 weeks last year It was great, loved it and I definitely plan on going back soon.

Learn some Japanese before you go like katakana/hiragana at least, it will help a lot bc when I went to Tokyo last year a lot of people didn't speak English very well. If you are buying weebs**t or anime figures akihabra is expensive nakano will probably have them for cheaper. robot bar is a tourist trap lol cool lights tho. do some exploring on your own without a destination you might find some cool stuff. harajuku has cool cloths and a really good pizza place called spontini. If you encounter a shop that says no foreigners dont go in and dont take it personally it just might be because they dont have staff that speaks English. be respectful and look up the rules of their society before you go so you are not another annoying foreigner lol. if you plan on doing the mario kart go karts they have you will need an extended drivers licence.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

You've got time :D

Another interesting (albeit a bit touristy) source of information os to watch the Tokyo Eye 2020 series on NHK World (the English version of the Japanese state TV). They're at least good fun, and do provide interesting info on places to go, eat, and such.

Older episodes can easily be found on YouTube

If you plan to buy One Piece stuff, you'll find literally a gazillion of things, so keep yourself disciplined lol. One piece is likely the most widespread merchandise generator in both Akihabara and Nakano. There are also a couple of Jump shops, one of which is in Tokyo Dome park in Suidobashi station. It has some hilarious Frieza garbage bins for sale lol. The suidobashi area itself is pretty nice, and Tokyo Dome park itself can be a fun afternoon.

If you see something you like, don't immediately buy it. Snap a picture of the price, and check other shops. Pricing is very liberal, and you'll likely find the same thing sold at a pretty broad range of pricetags, especially if preowned. One of my favorite activities to do in those places is exploring in search of the best deal. Even saving 500 yen feels good when you buy something you like :D

Don't ignore the bargain bins. That's a big thing in Akihabara. They're full of stuff that is missing the box (or the box is damaged) or has very minor imperfections that you won't even notice. Just take a good look at what you find to scan for major flaws, but those are rare, and the prices for these goods are awesome. Often the flaws are listed on a handwritten sticker near the price sticker. If you can't read Japanese, the clerk will often be very happy to explain, and they're normally proficient enough to make themselves understood. IE: "broken box, no box, chipped paint, no manual" and so forth.

Last edited:

God Enel

i didn’t know they have such a big market for used goods.

Are akihabara and nakano the districts where you buy clothes too? Or is that located in another district of the city? I wanna check out some “real Japanese” brands and maybe buy some sunglasses from a japanese manufacturer. 😄

And what else should I eat, ie not ramen/sushi?

aa_Pregnant_Nun aa_Pregnant_Nun whats up with Mario kart? 😶 never heard of it? What’s going on there?

I’ll watch all of your guys videos when I have some time as I’m currently on the go. Especially CyberPanda CyberPanda ill check the YouTube channel.

I didn't say to avoid the places, just the touts :D

And yes, the Nigerian touts have been completely cleaned up by the police a few months ago, which made the situation a whole lot better.

Most of the Japanese touts will avoid foreigners, but I've seen a few trying their luck last month (my base of operations is right in the middle of the "seedy" part of Ikebukuro lol, I guess they're used to seeing me around by now), but I don't think anything they offer is something I'd advise to a Tokyo first timer, especially on a budget. Personally, I'm not into that anyway.

The problem isn't that this kind of stuff in Tokyo is more dangerous than anywhere else. It isn't. But the language and culture barrier can create awkward situations.

I remember back around halloween i was walking through kabukicho to get to an Italian Tomato and this tiny korean kid was shouting at me about "real japanese girls!" when i ignored him he grabbed me by the arm and yelled "STOP!" He clearly spoke no english and it was a technique someone taut him but i dont think he expected to get a look from someone that said "im about 3 seconds from knocking in your teeth if you touch me again" he shrunk off. The look was enough.. not that i would have done anything to him he was harmless, but it was funny. The Nigerians were the real problem, they would surround you and harass you. Im glad they are gone, Roppongi is a pretty amazing area at night, and Nogizaka has the best NY Pizza in Tokyo.

ikebukuro though i have a soft spot for, It was the first place i ever stayed in Tokyo and i always go back. The area around sunshine city at night is great.

God Enel

I don’t Understand a single word you guys are talking about ropongi Ibekurro and so on. Is there something to see for a tourist like i am?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
i didn’t know they have such a big market for used goods.

Are akihabara and nakano the districts where you buy clothes too? Or is that located in another district of the city? I wanna check out some “real Japanese” brands and maybe buy some sunglasses from a japanese manufacturer. 😄

And what else should I eat, ie not ramen/sushi?

aa_Pregnant_Nun aa_Pregnant_Nun whats up with Mario kart? 😶 never heard of it? What’s going on there?

I’ll watch all of your guys videos when I have some time as I’m currently on the go. Especially CyberPanda CyberPanda ill check the YouTube channel.

You'll find a lot of clothing (often used) in Nakano, not so much in Akihabara, even if there are a few shops. For real Japanese trendy brands, you'll find plenty all over the place, but some good places to start are Harajuku and the nearby Omotesando and Shibuya, and Shimokitazawa.

For eating, I would really advise to just explore. Tokyo is literally the world capital of food, and there are gazillions of restaurants and eateries literally everywhere. Curry is, of course, a big one, then there's soba, udon, katsu, some really good meat places with heavenly steaks and burgers... Finding bad food in Tokyo is much, much harder than finding good food, so just go by ear.

The mario kart tours are a very touristy thing in which you drive go-karts around in a group, but you need an extension to your license that you can get ONLY in your country of origin before you go to Japan. They were originally branded after Mario Kart, but Nintendo sued them and now they have big "Unrelated to Nintendo" stickers on them. It's pretty hilarious.

I don’t Understand a single word you guys are talking about ropongi Ibekurro and so on. Is there something to see for a tourist like i am?

Plenty. Sunshine city in Ikebukuro (that Shadowplay mentioned) is really nice, and it even has a great aquarium and shopping complex. Near the entrance, there's an Okinawan ice cream shop which I love. Walking around those areas you may end up into the slightly more "seedy" places with adult entertainment and such, but all you need to do is to ignore the touts that might occasionally approach you.

In Japan it's fine and entirely acceptable to ignore touts, and they expect it anyway. You don't even need to look at them or respond, just keep walking :D Cases like the Korean guy described by Shadowplay are extremely rare, especially with foreigners. They don't want us in most of those establishments anyway :D

Incidentally, if you buy One Piece figures (or any figures really), go with those in PVC. You may find some older ones in polystone. Those are attractive because they're cheap, but they're really brittle, so they often don't survive the return trip and they're a bitch to repair. Polystone is easy to distinguish because it's really heavy and almost feels like ceramics to the touch (and it's just as brittle).

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I remember back around halloween i was walking through kabukicho to get to an Italian Tomato and this tiny korean kid was shouting at me about "real japanese girls!" when i ignored him he grabbed me by the arm and yelled "STOP!" He clearly spoke no english and it was a technique someone taut him but i dont think he expected to get a look from someone that said "im about 3 seconds from knocking in your teeth if you touch me again" he shrunk off. The look was enough.. not that i would have done anything to him he was harmless, but it was funny. The Nigerians were the real problem, they would surround you and harass you. Im glad they are gone, Roppongi is a pretty amazing area at night, and Nogizaka has the best NY Pizza in Tokyo.

ikebukuro though i have a soft spot for, It was the first place i ever stayed in Tokyo and i always go back. The area around sunshine city at night is great.

Wow, that's so rare (the Korean guy actually managing the guts for such a direct approach) that it might actually be considered a tourist attraction in its own right :D

I do love Ikebukuro, and the Sunshine city area is certainly the cleanest. I stay on the other side of the station. It's cheaper, and Ikebukuro station is one of my favorite for connections to basically everything :D

Last edited:

God Enel

Okay okay. Food is basically go out and eat wherever you want. Check.

Sunshine city is like .. a mall? I’ll try the ice cream you mentioned as your giving me so many tips and your putting so much effort/time into your posts. What’s the name of the ice cream shop? If you’re there in September I’ll invite you to a beer and you can join us if we’re going to TGS 🍻

I will check out the places for Japanese brands. I see myself spending sooo much cash already.

Thanks for the figurine tips. I have to buy god eneru and Blackbeard statues for myself and other shit for some friends. 🤣

I would love to go now!! So pumped now guys. Cannot wait.

Cato

Banned
Hey guys,

Thank you guys.

You mean the sword?
I see no reason why you can't just check it in as checked baggage, unless you are from the UK or some other cucked country where they have a ban on knives/swords.

Nowadays they do accept visa/mastercard at almost every place in the Tokyon region so there is little need to bring a lot of cash.

I would visit Akihabara. It is cool.
Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku(and elsewhere) is also cool.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Okay okay. Food is basically go out and eat wherever you want. Check.

Sunshine city is like .. a mall? I’ll try the ice cream you mentioned as your giving me so many tips and your putting so much effort/time into your posts. What’s the name of the ice cream shop? If you’re there in September I’ll invite you to a beer and you can join us if we’re going to TGS 🍻

I will check out the places for Japanese brands. I see myself spending sooo much cash already.

Thanks for the figurine tips. I have to buy god eneru and Blackbeard statues for myself and other shit for some friends. 🤣

I would love to go now!! So pumped now guys. Cannot wait.

The Okinawan ice cream shop is named Blue Seal, you can find it here

It has a nice little eatery right by its side that has all you can eat bread at lunch (and yummy bread of tons of different kinds at that. By the way, Japanese bakeries are heavenly) if you get one of the courses. Their cheese fondue is especially nice.

Sunshine City is basically a giant mall with an attached aquarium (go on weekdays), planetarium, and exhibition spaces. They even have small festivals and events. For instance, last month they had an Okinawa-themed event with local music and attractions.

Incidentally, Bandai Namco is opening a new VR amusement location there in July named Mazaria that is about "exploring the world of anime and games." there isn't much info about that yet, but it seems cool, and I'm going to bet that there are going to be One Piece-themed attractions. One Piece is Bandai Namco's bread and butter.

I'm honestly not 100% sure if I'll be able to make time in September, because I go there for work and the period around TGS is the busiest in Tokyo for me, but send me a message when you're there. If anything, if you need advice on specific topics that can come up during your trip, I'm always happy to help.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Glad to see this topic come up. I'm going for 3 weeks in December. Majority of two weeks in Tokyo. Most of one week in Kyoto/Osaka, and the balance in Hiroshima.
My sister was there last year, and she said the only thing she wishes she did more of was having more spare time to wander around Tokyo.
I've done a LOT of research already. I'll put up a general summary of what I believe to be my must dos.
But certainly Mikado arcade is a must. And of course the gamer pilgrimage to Aki that I've wanted to do since 1996.

As an avid ParkRunner, I'm thrilled ParkRun has started in Japan also, only a month or so ago at a location about 10 minute train ride out of Tokyo.
Oh wow. There's three now.

Last edited:
Theres an amazing all you can eat indian buffet thats only 1000 yen near Tokyo big site if you like indian food..its a bit of a walk from it but worth it. Speaking of big site i recommend walking across the rainbow bridge. nom nom

dNl6dmw.jpg

TwiztidElf

Here's my "Notepad map" of Tokyo of the most important boroughs. Not comprehensive (disclaimer if I've missed things).
kmvosL3.jpg

Sunshine Plaza already discussed being in Ikebukuro, and Mikado at Takadanobaba.
There is no Sumo in December, but I'll still be going outside the stadium at Ryogoku, and hopefully seeing the free to watch training at Hamacho.
(Edit: I'll post my list of things tomorrow - it's long - lol).

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
OP you may like this thread:

Also paging Punished Miku Punished Miku ! He can offer some info about your future Japanese visit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'd love to visit Japan someday, as I watch a ton of Japanese oriented YouTube channels like "Abroad in Japan", "Life Where I'm From", "Sharla in Japan", etc... and I'm also really into Japanese games and anime.

I'd recommend seeing the giant Gundam in Odaiba: https://livejapan.com/en/in-tokyo/in-pref-tokyo/in-odaiba/article-a0001561/
You may also want to try to ride a bike across the bridge at Shimanami Kaido if possible (amazing scenary). Disney Sea like mentioned above is another great place to visit.
The Shibuya Crossing is another place I'd like to see, along with seeing Mount Fuji from a distance.

Last edited:

God Enel

Glad to see this topic come up. I'm going for 3 weeks in December. Majority of two weeks in Tokyo. Most of one week in Kyoto/Osaka, and the balance in Hiroshima.
My sister was there last year, and she said the only thing she wishes she did more of was having more spare time to wander around Tokyo.
I've done a LOT of research already. I'll put up a general summary of what I believe to be my must dos.
But certainly Mikado arcade is a must. And of course the gamer pilgrimage to Aki that I've wanted to do since 1996.

As an avid ParkRunner, I'm thrilled ParkRun has started in Japan also, only a month or so ago at a location about 10 minute train ride out of Tokyo.
Oh wow. There's three now.

I have to check out park run. And I’m certainly interested in your most do list.. most probably I will do some of your must do’s.
Theres an amazing all you can eat indian buffet thats only 1000 yen near Tokyo big site if you like indian food..its a bit of a walk from it but worth it. Speaking of big site i recommend walking across the rainbow bridge. nom nom

Love Indian food. Not sure if I’ll visit though as I wanna eat Japanese food :)) maybe I’ll check it out.

You mean the sword?
I see no reason why you can't just check it in as checked baggage, unless you are from the UK or some other cucked country where they have a ban on knives/swords.

Nowadays they do accept visa/mastercard at almost every place in the Tokyon region so there is little need to bring a lot of cash.

I would visit Akihabara. It is cool.
Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku(and elsewhere) is also cool.

Yeah the sword but I think they’re banned in Germany too. And most probably they’re quite expensive. Maybe I can buy three plastic ones like Zoro 🤣

Mattyp

Gold Member
As someone who has frequented Japan a few times 7/11 and Lawsons are your friend. I'm not a fan of sushi Japanese or Western style never have been so that sucks and I have trouble being aloud into any of the classier meat places in Japan been turned down from nearly everyone always forget to pack more covering clothes in summer when I visit. Convenience stores are pretty much mini grocery stores in Japan and stock enough to see you through on every meal and plenty of healthy or filling options. I always opt for airbnb since you then have full kitchen ability, and look for ones with a queen bed. A lot of Japanese hotels only offer doubles which I hang off by a good foot.

The used market is great like Abriael has stated and written pretty much all you need to know, but remember everything game wise and manga etc is in Japanese no matter how cheap it is will probably be useless for you unless you fully understand the language. Shops like bookoff but are excellent to explore and I'll get to what you should be looking for in a second.

The markets you should target are out of town flea markets, maybe 3 train rides or so once every sign composes of no more English. These places have absolute bargains, no one speaks English here (or in the majority of Japan) but bargaining can be easily had on a bit of paper with yen prices written down. Console and game accessories is what you want to be looking out for to score in any second hand place, controllers will work universally anywhere in the world so think in that realm if you want to score some cheap goodies, I've also come across awesome retro game console travel cases as well for as little as $5 but lacked the room to bring them back with me. My best score? 5xN64 controllers in mint condition for only 500 yen from a flea market (around $5 dollars or so)

You'll have a blast regardless and you never really need to leave Tokyo, each next station is another mini city within its self. If you have time for it get down to Kyoto and rent a bike from the station and ride from there and start the temple riding path. Hiroshima you need to see as well but if there's time... Osaka is amazing, I probably prefer the city over Tokyo but for the first time probably not required.

A tourist trainpass might be easier and cheaper if you plan on doing these long haul trips, but otherwise stick with a local transit card. If you do want to rent a car and explore Fukushima (a must on my next trip) don't be to affraid. The traffic in Japan isn't what you imagine, the vast majority of people do not own cars. Be prepared for how packed the subway is at anytime of the day but.

Disney Sea is probably a must from me just because of how different it is and my requirement at the time to tick off every Disney around the world. You'll see it once and wont feel the need to get back there again for awhile. Universal studio you can skip, the numbers here specially during the summer months are absolutely insane. The one in Miami is a lot better and easier to enjoy if you do feel the need to see Harry Potter world.

Next visit I'll be renting a car and driving the coasts of the country to get further out yet again, there's just so much to see and you'll be back before you know it. Try not to plan out to much just a few things and go with the flow, you'll find yourself wasting days just wondering the streets by accident.

Last edited:
For the “old” Japan goto Kyoto. For a 14-day trip you will probably want the JR pass anyway, which covers the trip to Kyoto.

With that said, i just got back from Tokyo a few weeks ago and i gotta say, it was pretty meh compared to what I was expecting. Seemed more like a place that would have been impressive in the 80s when Japans economy was booming. Its odd, it just seemed to me like it stopped progressing then and remained very 80s, in terms of the tech (its not nearly as tech advanced as people claim) and fashion/style.

Tokyo is essentially NYC but cleaner, safer, and with way less interesting people. Everyone in Tokyo is super nice to your face but clearly hold hidden opinions. They are also all the same personality wise, not much variety. I assume this is just their culture and everyone just goes by a certain public standard when they arent in their own homes.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

WOW. Im gonna take this words and save it..

I will travel to Japan This year too. i earn the cash enough but i wanna see in my work when they will give me the Vacations period.

i definitive love visit a Maid Cafe.

Thank you for the advise in Super Potato i thought that was a best prices and not a tourist trap.

My main reasons when i will travel to Tokyo is ( Be in a Maid Cafe, buy exclusive japanese games, Fun, Visit shirnes and festivities)

Can I travel to Japan speaking with English will I have no difficulty?

I would love to visit the restaurants with themes (Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Dark Souls, Capcom) I recommend in what order?

How much money do you recommend me to take to be 14 days? Because i think is a expensive Country or nor?

Thank you such much! =P

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Tokyo is essentially NYC but cleaner, safer, and with way less interesting people. Everyone in Tokyo is super nice to your face but clearly hold hidden opinions. They are also all the same personality wise, not much variety.

This couldn't be more false. I'm gonna assume that you didn't get to connect much with them. There is a LOT more to the Japanese people than meets the eye.

Also, Tokyo and NYC couldn't be more different besides the fact that they're both large cities. The atmosphere is completely different.

Can I travel to Japan speaking with English will I have no difficulty?

Yeah. While many Japanese don't speak good English, they will at least understand it to a degree, and will helpfully make an effort to communicate in Tokyo. Of course, learning some utility expressions is helpful.

I would love to visit the restaurants with themes (Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Dark Souls, Capcom) I recommend in what order?

The Final Fantasy XIV one in Akihabara is very cool, but they're all pretty decent. Do keep in mind that they're pricey, and the food is more appearance than substance. Going for a drink is usually better.

While there are a few standing ones, there are many that are temporary, so it's a good idea to look around for those that will be active in the period you visit.

How much money do you recommend me to take to be 14 days? Because i think is a expensive Country or nor?

As I mentioned above $1000-1500 will easily get you by. Tokyo is NOT an expensive place unless you fall into tourist traps. Of course, if you start shopping a lot, that changes fast, so increase that number if you plan on buying a lot of stuff and go to a lot of touristy places like maid cafes, themed cafes, amusement parks, and such.

In my last time in Tokyo, I spent about 1100 euros including shopping and public transportation (not including travel and hotel of course) and that was nearly 4 weeks. Of course, I'm a bit more familiar with how to save money there, so I don't expect first-timer to keep their expenses that low, but it's certainly doable :D

Last edited:
This couldn't be more false. I'm gonna assume that you didn't get to connect much with them. There is a LOT more to the Japanese people than meets the eye.

Also, Tokyo and NYC couldn't be more different besides the fact that they're both large cities. The atmosphere is completely different

As I mentioned above $1000-1500 will easily get you by. Tokyo is NOT an expensive place unless you fall into tourist traps. Of course, if you start shopping a lot, that changes fast, so increase that number if you plan on buying a lot of stuff and go to a lot of touristy places like maid cafes, themed cafes, amusement parks, and such.

In my last time in Tokyo, I spent about 1100 euros including shopping and public transportation (not including travel and hotel of course) and that was nearly 4 weeks. Of course, I'm a bit more familiar with how to save money there, so I don't expect first-timer to keep their expenses that low, but it's certainly doable :D

Yep, Tokyo has some of the most diverse interesting people youll ever meet, unless of course you only see people at face value. Visit Yoyogi park on any given weekend, especially Sunday and youll understand.
Also true is that Tokyo can be really cheap, unless you tourist it up. Wanna save money, just get food at any of the small grocery stores like Seiyu or Maruetsu Petit and you can spend under 500 yen for lunch or dinner. Make sure you buy fresh Yaki imo which are usually cooking at the front of the store.

Here's my "Notepad map" of Tokyo of the most important boroughs. Not comprehensive (disclaimer if I've missed things).
kmvosL3.jpg

Sunshine Plaza already discussed being in Ikebukuro, and Mikado at Takadanobaba.
There is no Sumo in December, but I'll still be going outside the stadium at Ryogoku, and hopefully seeing the free to watch training at Hamacho.
(Edit: I'll post my list of things tomorrow - it's long - lol).

Some other places i would recommend:
Asakusa, it has a nice shopping district and lots of places to eat
Ueno Park, the park itself is great but they usually have some kind of food/famers market festival on the weekends but youll have to check the schedule. In addition the zoo there is pretty big and only costs 600 yen.
Yanaka has some interesting buildings
Tokyo Big Site has the Gundam building and the rainbow bridge is nearby
If you are a drinker, i guess the Golden Gai is good for tourists

Tiamat2san

I’d say Tokyo (at least 5 days)
Hakone (sleep in a ryokan and bath in an Onsen)
Kyoto and if you have time Osaka (fooooood)
Take a japan rail pass for unlimited travel by train .
Enjoy!!!
Japanese people are maybe the nicest people on earth.
Be aware than it’s hard to find who speak English (even in Tokyo)
And if you want to meet girls , some bars are made for it (you’ll see foreigners inside)
Or go to kabukicho (not the same kind of girls...)

Last edited:
Can you tell me how is the Japanese People?

Are kind with tourist?

I would love to meet Japanese women, who I find her very attractive

I've never had any major issues with Japanese people as a tourist, just be respectful of their country and culture, make an attempt to speak in Japanese and you'll be fine. It's so much easier now with smartphones too. As for money, take as much as you can afford to take with you. Remember also, Japan is still a cash-based country, but don't feel afraid to carry cash around, it's easily one of the safest places I've ever been to. More and more places are starting to accept foreign credit cards, but cash is still king.

TwiztidElf

Disclaimer: I've never been to Japan, so there is no first hand experience in this list.
This is purely a list I've compiled preparing for my own trip.
It is likely missing "must-do's" still, it could contain tourist traps and I could very well be wrong on things, so any feedback is very welcome.

TOKYO
Shibuya (crossing, Hachiko, etc)
Akiharbara (obviously. arcades/shopping/super potato/kanda myojin shrine)
Ryogoku/Hamacho (Sumo)
Harajuku (Shopping)
Yoyogi Park
Shinjuku (Nightlife and Robot Restaurant)
Nakano Broadway (shopping - Aki like)
Takadanobaba (Mikado Arcade)
Ikebukuro (Sunshine City/Pokemon Center)
Senso-ji Temple @ Taito City

Day Trips from Tokyo
- Snow Monkeys @ Nagoya near Nagano. If staying in Nagano also do Zenko Ji temple.
- Mt Fuji - Kawaguchi-ko. Viewing platform / Ropeway / Pergola.
- Mt Takao

Maybes - secondary list to pick from time permitting.
- Daiba Park/Odaiba/Tokyo Bay
- Pokemon Centre @ Sky Tree Town
- Sega Joypolis
- MariKar (The Mario Kart thing)
- Anata no Warehouse arcade @ Kawasaki
- Tokyo tower / Shiba Park / Zojoji temple
- Ghibli Museum
- Fuji Q Highland (Rollercoasters) - Full day trip out of Tokyo

KOYOTO
Inari Shrine
Imperial Palace
Arashiyama Bamboo forest
Kinkaku-ji temple

OSAKA
Dotonbori / Canal
Maybes:
Amerika Mura
Todai-ji temple
Okunoin Cemetery

And I'll definitely be tucking into some Okonomiyaki (Japanese savory pancakes) while I'm there.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Been in Japan 4 times, just got back from my last trip there.
TwiztidElf TwiztidElf just did a good list. Gonna maybe add something when I've got the time.

the one piece store
If you mean the one in Shibuya... it's kinda lame.
If you're a Final Fantasy fan go to Shinjuku's Artnia SQUENIX cafe. It's also close to a nice temple. There is another SQUENIX cafe in Akihabara (super close to the station) but the one in Shinjuku is way cooler.

Be sure to make a JR pass. It's expensive but it's really worth it. You're free to go everywhere and quite fast (i.e. this last time I wanted to try Kobe beef... so I went to Kobe). You need to activate it in Shinagawa station (also Shinjuku I think).

- Snow Monkeys @ Nagoya near Nagano.
I missed this because it closes quite early. 5 PM. If you're getting there from Tokyo keep that in mind.

Random thoughts, adding as they come by: Go to the Super Potato in Akihabara. Visit Nikkoh (near Tokyo) and Nara (near Kyoto) for temples and nature. Always have cash with you, cards aren't universally accepted. The Gundam in Odaiba, and wait for it to change configuration.

Last edited:

Larsowitz

What‘s wrong with Ikebukuro? Actually one of the few areas/cities without tourists...or at least not too many.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
You should check out robot restaurant, please YouTube this on how amazing this is.

No, you really should not. It's literally the worst tourist trap in Tokyo. Pretty literally money thrown in the bin. Every time I pass in front of it and see the line of clueless tourists waiting to go in, I have nothing but pity for them.

If you're a Final Fantasy fan go to Shinjuku's Artnia SQUENIX cafe. It's also close to a nice temple. T

Incidentally, it's also right in front of Square Enix's headquarters where most of their Japanese games are actually made. Not that they're gonna let anyone in unless you have business there, but some may appreciate seeing the building :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom