• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novel Suggestions

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I'm looking for a visual novel that has little to no sexual content and well written with a more lighthearted tone(it can get dark later I just don't want some really dark thing).

I've seen:
Chaos;Head
Steins;Gate
Grisaia no Kajitsu
Ever 17
Umineko 1-4 (got tired of it)
Every single Ace Attorney
Virtues Last Reward
Little Busters
Edit: Danganronpa 1 and 2
Edit 2: Fate/Stay Night
Edit 2: Fate Hollow
Edit 3: Tsukihime

Have you considered Fate/stay night? That one doesn't get too dark until really late in, and there's hardly any sex scenes at all until the third route. (the playing order is enforced)

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Have you considered Fate/stay night? That one doesn't get too dark until really late in, and there's hardly any sex scenes at all until the third route. (the playing order is enforced)
I've played both and loved it. I'm a type moon fanboy and I forgot to include it lol. My brain is not on all cylinders right now.

Aoi Shiro, if you don't mind Yuri. and Japanese Mythology. Gorgeous CG, and OST too.

Aoishiro_cover_PC.jpg

Remember 11 and Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shojo are both VNs that I liked a lot so give them a shot if you get the chance. Though Sharin does have it's fair share of H-content it in it.

If you are up for something old tsukihime seems up your alley since you like Fate.

True Fire

Get back into Unineko!

Umineko Episode 7 and the Episode 8 manga starting with Confession of the Golden Witch.

Don't bother with 5 and 6. They're just there to hint towards the plot twist that's explained in the Confession of the Golden Witch manga.

Muv-Luv series starts out really lighthearted and takes a really long time until it gets very dark at all. Has a few sex scenes but they're brief and easily fast forwarded through.

Muv-Luv series starts out really lighthearted and takes a really long time until it gets very dark at all. Has a few sex scenes but they're brief and easily fast forwarded through.

At this point one should just wait a couple of months for the Muv Luv official release and read a more polished version of it with the sex scenes already cut out.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I was planning on this but I noticed the official release from Kickstarter is coming out soon.

I'm going to research Rewrite, Dengeki Stryker, Remember 11, and Sharin no kuni. Thanks for the help everyone.

Hotel Dusk and Ghost Trick are two 3DS games you definitely need to check out. Ghost Trick has that Ace Attorney level humor.

Atolm

Don't miss Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and its sequel Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, and Ghost Trick. All for DS, and the three of them are really great. Ghost Trick is fairly lighthearted, and Hotel Dusk while serious it's nothing too dark.

There's also others like Another Code and Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past. The DS was a powerhouse for VN and adventure games, a shame 3DS hasn't succeeded it.

Sounds like you've played every single one that doesn't have sexual content, lol.

Maybe try Phenomeno. It's very short and not light-hearted, but neither are the ones you've played.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Sounds like you've played every single one that doesn't have sexual content, lol.

Maybe try Phenomeno. It's very short and not light-hearted, but neither are the ones you've played.
Lol I know. That's the problem with VNs, so much pack in that sexual content. It's annoying.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Sekien no Inganock and Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning I'd definitely recommend, but the tone of those is somber and rarely what I'd call lighthearted.

I'm fine with something not pure light hearted. I just want something that puts focus more on characters than plot.

I'm fine with something not pure light hearted. I just want something that puts focus more on characters than plot.

You should check out the Steampunk series then. Gahkthun has an official localization and Inganock and Shikkoku no Sharnoth have fan translations. I haven't read Sharnoth, but the other two are very good.

There's also Root Double which is being Kickstarted and set to release on Steam in March to look out for.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
You should check out the Steampunk series then. Gahkthun has an official localization and Inganock and Shikkoku no Sharnoth have fan translations. I haven't read Sharnoth, but the other two are very good.

There's also Root Double which is being Kickstarted and set to release on Steam in March to look out for.
It seems interesting. I will look more into it. I love things that are in a series more than standalones.

Shizuka

Like people mentioned before, both Muv Luv and Root*Double should come out in March, so it'll be a busy month for visual novel fans.

Top Bottom