• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Oh yea sure, ML and MLE are fast reads when you realize most of the stuff is just pointless and you start skipping dialogue

I unfortunately never saw any of the supposed greatness in MLA :(
I thought it was a huge letdown honestly, but that might be mostly because it was not what I expected it to be. It was 100% character centric. And I hated the characters lol.

The fuck you waiting for, go play Danganronpa

Also skip I/O entirely

Yeah MLA is all about character developments, naive teenagers getting harden in merciless wars. I hated the casts too, but for some reason that made the game more enjoyable since I am falling more for them as the story develop.

---
Wait I/O is bad? I was planning to play that one next due to a few impressions in the thread.

grim-tales

Oh yea sure, ML and MLE are fast reads when you realize most of the stuff is just pointless and you start skipping dialogue

I unfortunately never saw any of the supposed greatness in MLA :(
I thought it was a huge letdown honestly, but that might be mostly because it was not what I expected it to be. It was 100% character centric. And I hated the characters lol.

I know I went in with skewered expectations but it still boggles mind how it's so well regarded. But that's how opinions work, I suppose.

The fuck you waiting for, go play Danganronpa

Also skip I/O entirely

e: also also wait for me on higurashi, let's read it simultaneously. i've noticed you and i post a fuckload of impressions all the time when we're reading something so i'm pretty sure if we read higurashi at the same time, this thread would never leave the first page

Will finish PW5 (Dual Destinies) then play Danganronpa (which could be similar to PW too with the trial aspect - idk..) :)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I figure I just need to get around to finishing it before the summer volume comes out. I'll probably buy that on PC (and the new soundtrack assuming they put another one out) just because I really like the packaging for the first one. I'll probably end up having the whole series on both PC and Vita if they keep porting them.
I'm actually a little concerned about the Vita ports the rest of the games. First one only sold 2000~ copies in the first week. Not sure how high their expectations were though.

Would be a shame if they don't happen as it's like the perfect device for them. Excellent crispy resolution and I actually enjoy touch controls for text advancement lol.

cj_iwakura

I enjoy the Phenomeno love, but I don't know if I agree that all those are 18+... Steins;Gate and Phenomeno are more like 16+.

Oh, misread how the indicators work, my bad.

Yuuichi

I enjoy the Phenomeno love, but I don't know if I agree that all those are 18+... Steins;Gate and Phenomeno are more like 16+.

They're not, the icon isn't red like it is on Katawa Shoujou and KiraKira, which are actually the only two 18+ games on the list.

grim-tales

Yeah MLA is all about character developments, naive teenagers getting harden in merciless wars. I hated the casts too, but for some reason that made the game more enjoyable since I am falling more for them as the story develop.

---
Wait I/O is bad? I was planning to play that one next due to a few impressions in the thread.

BIB: I was too since I seem to really enjoy batshit insane stuff/crazy stuff .. idk :) I guess I can only find out by playing it.

ClearData

Does Corpse Party fall under this category?

Because holy crap I am playing that game like there is no tomorrow. I've been meaning to pick it up for a year or so. The Sale of the Dead PSN did a week ago helped me make the jump.

I'm playing 999 next. :D Then Corpse Party Book of Shadows.

Shizuka

Umineko is my favorite mystery, but talk about a slow build up.

Ber_a21_akuwarai2.png

You know good stuff.

aravuus

Does Corpse Party fall under this category?

Because holy crap I am playing that game like there is no tomorrow. I've been meaning to pick it up for a year or so. The Sale of the Dead PSN did a week ago helped me make the jump.

I'm playing 999 next. :D Then Corpse Party Book of Shadows.

The first one is stretching quite a bit, but BoS is certainly a visual novel. Wasn't a third one just released in Japan? Really liked Corpse Party so I'm pretty excited about it, hopefully it'll get localized soon

cj_iwakura

The first one is stretching quite a bit, but BoS is certainly a visual novel. Wasn't a third one just released in Japan? Really liked Corpse Party so I'm pretty excited about it, hopefully it'll get localized soon

There's two more actually. Dead Patient(new story) and Blood Drive(part 3 of the Heavenly Host plot).

Also, [plug]the Umineko fighting game has a VN like story too. [/plug]

Xf0fPun.jpg

I edited the fan translation

Also, [plug]the Umineko fighting game has a VN like story too. [/plug]

Xf0fPun.jpg

I edited the fan translation

Where did you buy the PC port? I am really interested in getting it for both the VN and the fighting game aspect. Do you need to read the original VN for the full story before picking this up?

cj_iwakura

Where did you buy the PC port? I am really interested in getting it for both the VN and the fighting game aspect. Do you need to read the original VN for the full story before picking this up?

I've seen it digitally at a couple sites. Not sure about boxed.

It's a solid fighting game, but as for the story? YES. It spoils 1-4 of Umineko.

Burnburn

There's two more actually. Dead Patient(new story) and Blood Drive(part 3 of the Heavenly Host plot).

Oh, I actually didn't know there was another game other than Blood Drive in development, awesome. The "new story" part excites me, I've had it a little bit with Heavenly Host. The part in BoS where they
visit Sachiko's house
felt really fresh to me and I would love to see more of that.

Bogeypop

Hey,
I'm wondering what to play next after finishing the (rather disappointing, all things considered) Killer Queen. It was OK, just could have been so much more, IMO.
I have yet to play:
Swan Song
I/O
Hirugashi (sp?) 1-4
Kara no Shoujo voiced edition
Danganronpa
- and a few others, I dont even know if I can be bothered to finish A Kiss for the Petals, even the good stuff ( :D ) is boring after a bit. It's just so dull.

Reminds me I was playing Kara no Shoujo a few years ago and never finished it, was really enjoying it, but got stuck on a bad end a little over halfway through :( I'd recommend THAT from your list

Finished the first Corpse Party a few months ago and started on Book of Shadows. Turning it into a visual novel actually really helped the game out a lot. Only got to, I believe, the third chapter and stopped. Think I had enough Corpse Party for a bit, and planned to pick it back up later. Maybe if Dead Patient and Blood Drive get a US release date that'd "drive" me to finish BoS.

The English demo for the bara/yaoi game No, Thank You!!! was just released. I won't link to it here, but just check out MangaGamer's site if you are interested.

I'd be playing it right now, but I'm still waiting for them to send me my activation e-mail. :/

jzbluz

The English demo for the bara/yaoi game No, Thank You!!! was just released. I won't link to it here, but just check out MangaGamer's site if you are interested.

I'd be playing it right now, but I'm still waiting for them to send me my activation e-mail. :/

Was going to post about this but you beat me to it. The demo is pretty amusing, and now I'm really hyped for the real thing.

upandaway

Stuff I played and REALLY SUPER A LOT liked:
MuvLuv trilogy
Higurashi
Fate/Stay Night
Steins;Gate
Ever17

Runner ups are Tsukihime, Remember11, Katawa Shoujo, couple others I'm forgetting

In an hour we've seen more new people than in the past 3 years. Hah.
I feel bad about not posting much either but I need that 5 days off or whatever to marathon a VN if I want to enjoy it to the fullest, makes it hard to find the time for them.

Still haven't decided on my next one, either DR2 or F/HA if that's finalized soon, but I might just find a short 10-hour one before then.

OH guess I need to get to that, if only this wasnt posted in the middle of a week night. What size is it? Is best character (the one with the best shirt) in this demo?

Thanks for the topic and information!

Since I've read a total of 1 VN in my life so far, my journey is going to start very soon. It is nice to see some familiar faces in this topic (whether through other games I tend to play or not) and to see someone else bring up that link to fuwanovel which was a great help so far. :)

I haven't dug into things too much, but thank you all for the current suggestions. I'm positive that I will read the Key/Visual Arts VNs, Steins;Gate, Fate/Stay Night, Ef, and a few other RPG-like VNs.

I have read that Sekai is starting a Kickstarter for Clannad's translation soon. There is a Prefundia link (http://prefundia.com/projects/view/clannad-full-voice-translation/2524/) that looks like it has some details about the Kickstarter.

I hope I can snag a physical copy.

Waxwing

Umineko is my favorite mystery, but talk about a slow build up.

This. It's a love letter to mystery lovers and my favorite so far. But I tried to get my brother into it, and I think he gave up about 7 hours in. Kept trying to goad him on with "you're almost there" even though he wasn't.

Soulflarz

Banned
I just found I only have a demo (1 episode) of Higurashi, it's Umineko I have Ep1-4 of.

Heads up, Higurashi is considered a grey area. You can purchase a copy from mangagamer, but its not the complete copy. Hell, even a pirated copy (mine isnt) isnt the correct version. Basically you need to download the mangagamer version/jlist, mod it to hell with ps2 graphics, thennn play it. Its not as hard as I make it sound, but its annoying the game isnt really even a proper version in the US (until the steam release hopefully)

So yeah, grey area in the sense you should probably buy a copy, but I dont actually know the legality of moving stuff from the ps2 version into the pc version

cj_iwakura

Heads up, Higurashi is considered a grey area. You can purchase a copy from mangagamer, but its not the complete copy. Hell, even a pirated copy (mine isnt) isnt the correct version. Basically you need to download the mangagamer version/jlist, mod it to hell with ps2 graphics, thennn play it. Its not as hard as I make it sound, but its annoying the game isnt really even a proper version in the US (until the steam release hopefully)

So yeah, grey area in the sense you should probably buy a copy, but I dont actually know the legality of moving stuff from the ps2 version into the pc version

Personally I kept the original graphics. It's all about the Ryukishi expressions, something high res art has yet to recapture.

paafecto.gif

I would think modding it would be no different than, say, modding a PC game, and from my interactions with Ryukishi, he doesn't mind. Hell, he was happy we were fan translating Ougon Musou.

Shizuka

Personally I kept the original graphics. It's all about the Ryukishi expressions, something high res art has yet to recapture.

paafecto.gif

I would think modding it would be no different than, say, modding a PC game, and from my interactions with Ryukishi, he doesn't mind. Hell, he was happy we were fan translating Ougon Musou.

That gif just slayed me.

syncyes

Ever 17 blew my mind back in the day.

True Remembrance is also a great, short, freeware VN. Especially interesting because the original Japanese writer kind of helped out on the fan translation front so it's also translated well. Which is more than can be said for a lot of VNs, even the legally localized ones.

PKrockin

If only this thread were made a little earlier, I would have learned about Phenomeno and started it in time for Halloween. Oh well. I can make this month Spookvember.

Voliko

Nice thread. I've always liked VNs, been trying to get into more of them recently. I've "played" Steins;Gate, Saya no Uta, Planetarian, and Never7 this year. Planetarian was a nice and quick, with no convoluted choices and routes to bust out a walkthrough for.

I wanted to highlight Never7, I rarely see any talk about that one. It has the kind of vibe you would expect from the infinity series, of course. The island setting is really nice and even relaxing. Like Ever17 , talking about the main theme of the game is a big spoiler... But it's awesome. It always keeps you guessing, even until after the ending. It's fairly open ended. One of the later routes is hilarious too, the game has a great balance of serious moments and light hearted ones. Great Takeshi Abo tunes as well.

Think I'm gonna check out Phenomeno, sounds cool.

Shiina

I think I'm pretty close to the end, and it's been a pretty mediocre experience, though I haven't played KNS to compare it to. Does KNS have this many sex scenes too?

It's been a while since I played it but this is something I noticed as well in this game. At least I don't remember there having been that many.

PKrockin

I wanted to highlight Never7, I rarely see any talk about that one. It has the kind of vibe you would expect from the infinity series, of course. The island setting is really nice and even relaxing. Like Ever17 , talking about the main theme of the game is a big spoiler... But it's awesome. It always keeps you guessing, even until after the ending. It's fairly open ended. One of the later routes is hilarious too, the game has a great balance of serious moments and light hearted ones. Great Takeshi Abo tunes as well.
I'm kind of surprised to see someone praise the music. Everyone I've seen seems to regard it as pretty average. I felt it had a certain nostalgic charm. The routes playing mostly that character's theme song so much did get repetitive though, especially with Haruka's more attention-grabbing theme.

b33r

I played 999 about a year ago, that led to zeros last reward, then kawata shoujo and dangonronpa. Then I tried a few others, but the one I loved the most was majikoi. I know some of the paths still need full translations, but that game cracked me up, just loved the characters. Will definitely play it again once the other paths are finished.

Is there anything else out there like majikoi?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'd back, but I am waiting for their other kickstarter to go up finally. Can only put so much money towards kickstarter.

There's TWO more up and coming! :) But yeah, have to pick your favorites when on a budget.

Yuuichi

I played 999 about a year ago, that led to zeros last reward, then kawata shoujo and dangonronpa. Then I tried a few others, but the one I loved the most was majikoi. I know some of the paths still need full translations, but that game cracked me up, just loved the characters. Will definitely play it again once the other paths are finished.

Is there anything else out there like majikoi?

Not perfect analogues, but Little Busters!, OsaDai, Kira☆Kira and maybe Comyu could be what you're looking for.

And now time for a completely irrelevant multi-faceted late night rant that covers a ton of topics.

Fuck Seinarukana. Fuck this game. It's a ton of fun but holy shit is it hard. Seinarukana is the sequel to Aselia the Eternal, and it feels like it's nearly twice as hard. Aselia was always hard (it required some out of the box thinking and was really fucking well designed, you should play it) and I had to learn to use more save slots than any other game I've ever played, but holy shit does it feel like they turned it up. There are some nice concessions (no instant game over if a key unit zeroes out, the whole squad has to die) but the first boss took me an hour of trial and error AND a walkthrough to figure out how to beat. My game clock is just over 8 hours (probably closer to ~11-12 with all the game overs I've gotten, and I've already used 35/50 save slots and I'm only in chapter 3/12. Not a problem, I only have to beat the game six times over to see all the endings. Hopefully it won't interfere with the seven other games I have active plays of, or the box of six I have pre-ordered on amiami, or the three I plan to buy...
[weeps]

On a happier note, along with Seinarukana and some other stuff, I wanted to be able to work on my backlog on the go, so I picked up a cheap Windows 8.1 32 bit tablet, and I'm here to tell you it's just about the greatest thing ever, and I highly recommend it. It's not perfect and I haven't really put the battery to the test yet, but it beats dealing with my 15" laptop. It probably can't handle any of Light's new stuff but it runs anything with a resolution of 720p or lower like a champ, and it looks great doing it. It's much less of a hassle than my vita for me, and a lot cheaper too since I don't have to buy games twice.

B1JS81aCYAAQ0OB.jpg

On the subject of Sekai and Kickstarter, if it's not well known that I didn't like Grisaia for a host of reasons (that I would be more than glad to discuss) it is now, so I'm probably sitting that one out, but considering the Clannad one. I asked a bunch of questions in the Reddit thread as a Sekai rep likes to hang out there, and I'm waiting for more info on the MABINOGI soundtrack and DRM, but I could very well be on board. I still want to see them deliver something first as I did back WEE, but that's not gonna show until mid next year. Not sure I'm willing to drop on it, but at the same time I want to support Key in particular.

Speaking of Key, they've been silent for quite some time now about the briefly publicized Angel Beats game, on which I have some interesting tidbits of info about that. There was some interesting, albeit rather buried news on the game way back at the Sekai panel where Clannad got announced, in that the scenario was supposed to be done by the start of September, but that there were various other things to take care of as well. The site still hasn't been updated, but of all things Dengeki G's magazine is getting some promo material for Angel Beats in the December issue, which makes me wonder if they're planning a relaunch there. G's isn't traditionally a PC/Eroge mag though, which also raises some questions, but I would expect to see more about some of that very shortly.

And on a final, more personal note, Hanasaki Workspring got a release date and Opening (mostly SFW, very anime) today, and Silverio Vendetta recently got a PV and still has an incredibly badass site (site swf [the warning is for god tier music], PV1 is not on the grounds of violent imagery). My wallet am cry.

Top Bottom