• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual wise this generation has been a disappointment, which is I have unrealistically high expectations for Spider-Man 2 graphically

Banned
Love that game. Best driving in an open world game, fuck the haters.

I loved the driving as well. and the body deformation was so fun. I used to get a bus and completely flattten cars with it, seeing as how far I can deform them until they don't work anymore n stuff.

GTA5 went way too far into the arcade direction, where you can turn around your car when you're upside-down by simply pressing left or right, or how you can control your car in the air...

GymWolf

I loved the driving as well. and the body deformation was so fun. I used to get a bus and completely flattten cars with it, seeing as how far I can deform them until they don't work anymore n stuff.

GTA5 went way too far into the arcade direction, where you can turn around your car when you're upside-down by simply pressing left or right, or how you can control your car in the air...
After the hyper realism in rdr2 i expect a return to realism in gta6 aswell.

tr1p1ex

it's just diminishing returns. they spend more and more on graphics, we spend more and more on hardware and for what? To see less and less of an improvement in graphics.

It's to the point where it is obvious that money could be better spent elsewhere for many a game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

BeamNG is the closest we will get to a game that competes with GTA4's driving physics

Alebrije

The graphic jump on every generation is less or at least is our perception, but there are other stuff like the use of ssd , lite right tracing and in case on the PS5 the haptic controller; on Xbone you can pause a game , play other a and return to the game. So there are new things that current consoles do and previous no.

But since graphics matter yes the jump is.not spectacular, I think with games like Ratchet, Horizon DLC , RE 8 , TLOU2 ...we have seen what PS5 can deliver...do not think we will see a great improvement from now to the end of the generation. X bone has not showed anything better or on par with PS5 , maybe Forza or Fligh S but those are niche games. Fable looks promising and the game about the crazy girl, Hells blade.

But at the end think we have seen what this generation can deliver regarding graphics and personally i am fine with it, after all what can you expect for PS5 ans Series X considering their price and spects

Raven77

I have no research to back this up because my brain is riddled with power lifting supplements but don't we have kind of a graphics lull in-between every generation?

Like the leap between PS2 and Dreamcast wasn't that big but PS2 to PS3 was huge. Also Xbox to Xbox 360 wasn't that big butt 360 to Xbox One was big.

Am I wrong on this? If so, how wrong?

Last edited:

charles8771

I have no research to back this up because my brain is riddled with power lifting supplements but don't we have kind of a graphics lull in-between every generation?

Like the leap between PS2 and Dreamcast wasn't that big but PS2 to PS3 was huge. Also Xbox to Xbox 360 wasn't that big butt 360 to Xbox One was big.

The OG Xbox and Xbox 360 are only 4 years apart.
While the Dreamcast and PS2 are only 2 years apart.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Xbox to 360 was very big
360 to one wasn't that big.
mostly it

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

OG Xbox to 360 was massive. It was “I can’t believe it’s real”, big. Gears of War was jaw dropping.

BbMajor7th

I never said I wanted games to come out faster… games should look way better this generation, bottom line. They don’t.
I don't know, some of the expectations of this gen have been inflated. The jump from PS3-PS4 was essentially 720p to 1080p, whilst typical performance targets remained at 30 FPS. That's a doubling of resolution with the same performance level. PS5 is expected to generally hit 1440/60 or 2160/30, meaning either a doubling of both pixel density and frame rate, or a quadrupling of pixel density. On top of this, we're also expecting computationally heavy lighting effects like RTX to be included - that's a bigger baseline step than previous generations.

CGNoire

Love that game. Best driving in an open world game, fuck the haters.

Its was a perfect balance between sim racer and arcade racer and then casuals complained because they dont know how to drive and would prefer to "only steer" and ruined it for us. Hope to god GTA 6 bases there driving physics on IV.

CGNoire

It's a shame. If Euphoria were open source it could've easily replaced Havok. But now Rockstar's the only studio who owns the rights to teh engine and no one is gonna license it in their game, so we're kind of screwed for realistic ragdolls
Hopefully AI comes to the rescue.

RTX4070

Banned
If they would update Textures on Rdr 2 it would be still the best looking game. Incredible what they achieved. Especially on Consoles too.

CGNoire

Thank god for PC driving mods saving the day......except for bike physics which modders couldnt fully solve :(

CGNoire

I don't know, some of the expectations of this gen have been inflated. The jump from PS3-PS4 was essentially 720p to 1080p, whilst typical performance targets remained at 30 FPS. That's a doubling of resolution with the same performance level. PS5 is expected to generally hit 1440/60 or 2160/30, meaning either a doubling of both pixel density and frame rate, or a quadrupling of pixel density. On top of this, we're also expecting computationally heavy lighting effects like RTX to be included - that's a bigger baseline step than previous generations.
Well my exspectations was always 1440p@30fps with next gen asset upgrades and GI. That should be doeable even without UE5. I dont think thats unreasonable.

Last edited:

hussar16

We could have the same jump, the console are just way too weak.

The endgame of real time graphic is to look like real life and i'm pretty sure that we are still light years away from that.
We
Its called diminishing returns, that how the leap from PS2 to PS3 is far bigger than the leap from PS3 to PS4
Or well far more noticeable.
image-1.png
Issue here is back then devs only cared about pushing graphics not framerate also they skipped last gen quick unlike now with cross gen

charles8771

We

Issue here is back then devs only cared about pushing graphics not framerate also they skipped last gen quick unlike now with cross gen
Both games are open world dude, what do you expected?
However the PS3 had a very complex CPU, so people could say that the reason many multiplatforms have awful frame rates is because they couldn't optimize games properly.

IAmRei

And I dont mind graphics is not "high tech", if the art direction is good then I'm more than happy, this is why I love the visuals in FROM games despite not being high tech.

In fact I rather devs focus their resource and time on actual game rather than graphics, the novelty of impressive tech last maybe hour for me, at end of the day the actual gameplay that will keep me playing.
that's it!

but you know, people here tend to love more to graphic, more and more, like nothing satisfies the hunger for more graphic
the thing is, more graphics usually took more time and if the result is buggy mess, people will hatefully bash it again and again
it is hard to satisfy if people only focused on graphic wise

hussar16

Both games are open world dude, what do you expected?
However the PS3 had a very complex CPU, so people could say that the reason many multiplatforms have awful frame rates is because they couldn't optimize games properly.
This shouldn't be the case anymore .yet we're stuck on last gen because money

Jump from original Xbox to X360 was huge

This generation is a transitional one imo. Thinks like higher frame rates and ray tracing being introduced makes it seem like the jump is small graphically when in reality we gained a lot. I think next gen we will really see the difference.

This gen is a stopgap for fully CGI looking triple A games. Y'all should try to visualize how a game would look like right now if it were to be developed exclusively from the ground up for a console with the equivalent of an RTX 4090, a 7800x3d, 24GB of usable RAM and a Gen5 SSD.

Top Bottom