• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual wise this generation has been a disappointment, which is I have unrealistically high expectations for Spider-Man 2 graphically

OCASM

Banned
Go take a walk around the castle in Resident Evil8 in PSVR2 and tell me its a disappointment.. easily the best visuals i have ever seen
It's a disappointment. Lighting is barely average.

You know the Hellblade 2 gameplay looks next-gen when instead of giving credit to Ninja Theory, all people did here was try to rationalize why it looks that way.
"It's on rails".."it's so linear".."it's a vertical slice".."it's fake" "its one big cutscene" "its just QTE" etc.
All while simultaneously calling it 'downgraded' (whilst too good to be true?) from the announcement video...which the gameplay video literally has the same or better assets from.
Hellblade 2 is a big downgrade from the initial teaser.

In fact I was not at all fan of what Bluepoint did with enemy/boss designs in Demons Souls visuals. I take FROM's visual design over so called "next gen" any day.

Excellent video. The SotC remake is an abomination for precisely the same reasons but even worse due to how derpy Wander looks.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's a disappointment. Lighting is barely average.

Hellblade 2 is a big downgrade from the initial teaser.

Excellent video. The SotC remake is an abomination for precisely the same reasons but even worse due to how derpy Wander looks.
Lol fuck me you're some craic at parties..

It's one of the main things I've noticed is people are pretty much incapable of actually looking at something with their actual eyeballs and deciding for themselves what they are seeing. I mean that literally, which is why its so crazy. Then the game comes out and is exactly how it looked if you just looked at what was there instead of what you were told, and then they act surprised.

Examples?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Stop being a bitch and ignore the topic then

200.gif

Danjin is just giving his opinion. Maybe lay off the childish insults.

Last edited:
Fuck these games are ugly (Calisto Protocol, Dead Space,HZ forbiden west)etc, I can't even progress in a game because i take millions of screenshots!

Last edited:

Sygma

This gen is a disappointment ?

man between CP2077 maxed out, Control, Rift Apart, Metro Exodus (enhanced edition is amazing), Baldur's Gate 3 maxed out, Demon's Souls, Portal RTX, Lego Builders, Quake 2 RTX, Callisto ...

like what ?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This gen is a disappointment ?

man between CP2077 maxed out
last gen game
, Control
last gen game
Rift Apart
launch game, hardly anything, if anything at all looks better.
Metro Exodus (enhanced edition is amazing)
last gen game.
, Baldur's Gate 3 maxed out
wont link to my thread from yesterday
, Demon's Souls
Launch game, hardly anything looks better.. proves OP's point. where the fuck is the advancement.
, Portal RTX
last gen game
Lego Builders
eh

Callisto ...
cross gen game. looks aight, dont get the praise.
like what ?
The fact that you named a bunch of launch games, last gen games, and they look better than new games coming out today... is the entire point.

There is no advancement visually. its stagnant and unimpressive as fuck.

Forza will be the first real showcase of the generation. Full solid 60fps in unlimited conditions, dull dynamic and real-time ray tracing not just on the road, not just in the inside of a car but everywhere as you drive. 4K native resolution will give you those crisp toaster blacks and shimmering lighting with a crystal clear image, and all the weather effects and day/night cycling won't impact any of it.

That is what they promise, will they deliver? Who knows, but they delayed the game for the extra polish so they must be close if not meeting that goal.

If not that would put a black mark on Turn10.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I suggest you check out some games from just a few years ago, then. Anyone who says that visuals haven't improved - I think it's time you paid a visit to an eye doctor.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
He is a blatant troll, best to ignore him.
How is that a troll post? I swear you people are softer than butter.

Please, show me all the games that look better than Demons Souls, a launch game - There are maybe 1 or 2. Which proves my point. There is a lack of progression in the industry from a graphical standpoint.

I cannot recall the last time a launch game remained one of the best looking games of the generation, 3 fucking years into the generation.

Thats trolling? Get a grip my guy.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How is that a troll post? I swear you people are softer than butter.

Please, show me all the games that look better than Demons Souls, a launch game - There are maybe 1 or 2. Which proves my point. There is a lack of progression in the industry from a graphical standpoint.

I cannot recall the last time a launch game remained one of the best looking games of the generation, 3 fucking years into the generation.

Thats trolling? Get a grip my guy.

Sure Jan GIF

You keep crying over minute graphical differences that haven't mattered in over a generation. I will be over here getting excited about and actually *playing* games.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Plenty to be excited about in 2023 from a graphics standpoint.

1. Horizon Burning Shores (am I the only one super impressed with the volumetric clouds in the real time trailer?)

2. FFXVI looks very promising.

3. Spiderman 2 will be compared to offline rendering when it releases.
This. The volumetric clouds in the Burning Shores trailer is very impressive

I think both games will look amazing with Spider-man 2 looking even more amazing and it'll likely get best graphics of 2023

I thought we were off to a decent start with Demon Souls (probably could be done on a PS4) and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart (ray tracing, fur, clarity, tech), but the more games I see the more I am disappointed. I am talking pure visuals here. We arent even getting locked framerates lol. Horzon looked great as well, but I feel like I am still waiting for that next generation leap. Spider-Man 2 I think (hope) will be that game. Isnt releasing on PS4, will have raytracing, studio that has already produced a decent looking PS5 game, and the best selling first party game from PS4 guaranteeing an unreal budget/man power. Are my expectations too high? Man I don't even care if Spiderman 2 is 30fps only. Show me something.

Maybe ray tracing is a pain to implement and its eating resources? Certainly kills overhead on the PC without upscaling. Man I'll even take cartoony games. DokeV looks amazing but will no doubt be downgraded on consoles.
There is no way for Demon soul remake on ps4 eith 60 fps

nikos

Spider-Man 2 will probably be disappointing from the menu when you're faced with the decision of having to choose between fidelity and performance. I'll probably end up waiting for a PC version if that's the case.

This generation of consoles has been disappointing altogether. PS5 exclusives are severely lacking. XSX has next to nothing to offer over PC (not a bad thing) and the Switch has good games but it's severely underpowered.

Spider-Man 2 will probably be disappointing from the menu when you're faced with the decision of having to choose between fidelity and performance. I'll probably end up waiting for a PC version if that's the case.

This generation of consoles has been disappointing altogether. PS5 exclusives are severely lacking. XSX has next to nothing to offer over PC (not a bad thing) and the Switch has good games but it's severely underpowered.
Not if it is programmed for Ps5 only.

notatroll

Banned
I thought we were off to a decent start with Demon Souls (probably could be done on a PS4) and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart (ray tracing, fur, clarity, tech), but the more games I see the more I am disappointed. I am talking pure visuals here. We arent even getting locked framerates lol. Horzon looked great as well, but I feel like I am still waiting for that next generation leap. Spider-Man 2 I think (hope) will be that game. Isnt releasing on PS4, will have raytracing, studio that has already produced a decent looking PS5 game, and the best selling first party game from PS4 guaranteeing an unreal budget/man power. Are my expectations too high? Man I don't even care if Spiderman 2 is 30fps only. Show me something.

Maybe ray tracing is a pain to implement and its eating resources? Certainly kills overhead on the PC without upscaling. Man I'll even take cartoony games. DokeV looks amazing but will no doubt be downgraded on consoles.
Dude, they haven’t even released a proper next gen AAA exclusive.

Braag

90% of games are cross gen, so the visuals need to be designed around 10 year old hardware and scaled up from there for current gen and there's only so much you can do, especially if you're releasing it on 5 different systems.
Devs and publishers just really need to let go of the last gen consoles.

mxbison

Some of y’all are crazy. HFW, ratchet, CP2077, demons souls, ragnarok - all fucking incredible looking games. Ridiculous

Yeah but those are exceptions.

When you buy a new console you kinda expect a higher level of visuals across the board, this is definitely not the case right now.

Max_Po

Banned
people like OP are full of shit. They need to take a walk outside.

500US consoles, both PS5 and xbx are simply amazing.

mdkirby

A colleague of mine was shown a demo of it by a friend of his who works on the game, and he was very impressed. Specifically citing the detail of the building interiors when looking through windows.

But he’s not a big gamer, so hard to know how easily impressed he is 🤷‍♂️

I agree with other sentiments tho, don’t really get the obsession with ever increasing graphics, I’d rather see greater interactivity, more detailed world building and character interactions. Hell the best game of last year was Elden ring, and it wasn’t exactly a looker. Just had good art direction.

When I first got my ps5 I was actually rather underwhelmed.

I was playing back-compat old PS4 games or stuff that was never built for ps5, and I wasn't impressed.

However, once I started playing stuff that was built solely for ps5, or had versions that actually took advantage of it's hardware, I was much more impressed.

Demon Souls, Miles Morales, GT7, Ghost of Tsushima, GoW Ragnarok, The Last of Us Part One, Ratchet and Clank, all look incredible - especially if played on a good 4k monitor or television.

Add in the very fast load times and it started to feel legitimately "next gen" for me after a year or so.

MikeM

PS5 is equivalent to 2070 or 2070S, you are not going to see incredible leaps unless you want the games to run at upscaled 1080p with unstable 30 fps lol
Not this garbage again.

Why is Death Stranding running at 2080s levels then per DF? Along with other games? Its maximum is not 2070s levels.

PS5 is a hardware box. Its not equivalent to anything on the PC side because it solely depends on how the devs manage its resources. Technically, the closest thing to a PS5 is an RX 6700 (non xt).

Riky

$MSFT
t7n0atB.jpg

This is what I was expecting when I saw the console specs and we are getting it, people are going to be happy when real next gen games arrive and not prettied up ports of last gen games.

Yoboman

Just be glad this generation has had as many high FPS games as we've gotten so far lol.

That's probably more important than games pushing visual fidelity at the cost of stable performance.
Honestly that's been the best thing.. Going back to 30 FPS will be hard. At least pro consoles shouldn't be far off when the graphicsl heavy hitters start

Mr.Phoenix

PS5 is equivalent to 2070 or 2070S, you are not going to see incredible leaps unless you want the games to run at upscaled 1080p with unstable 30 fps lol
Nonsense. Stupid TFs is not the problem, it wasn't even the problem last gen. And reconstructed resolutions will ultimately take priority over native resolutions. Its common sense actually, at some point, the 40% performance hit you take going from reconstructed 1440p >4K to native 4k becomes stupid for the like 2-5% IQ gain. EVERYTHING about gaming, engines and hardware has always been about smoke and mirrors, faking resolutions is just the next thing on that agenda. We have faked everything else so far.

To OP, all I can say is diminishing returns. We may wanna deny it all we want, but with each passing gen, it's going to get harder and harder to stand out on technical achievements alone. Remember once upon a time consoles were measured by how many sprites they could have on the screen at any one time, then it became how many polygons. Then it became what resolution this or that is running at.

I believe, even starting from the last gen, and it would be more apparent this gen, it's going to be more about artistry than it would be about hardware. We have the hardware and can already do what needs to be done, just look at that matrix demo. Now it's about the artistry to actually pull it off.

Anyone can drive an F1 car. Not everyone is a race car driver.

KXVXII9X

I'm okay with a game looking like gravity rush or fire emblem. The art style is beautiful, but when a game tries to emulate realism, but ends up looking ugly doing it, like forespoken, then i start getting angry. I mean this is 2023. Why do ps5 games still have basic issues like ambient occlusion, horrible lighting, lack of self shadowing, low polycount characters models etc while in gameplay? Its absolutely a legitimate point to get frustrated about.
I agree 100%

It is something I can't ignore which is why I settle for games with strong art direction atm. I do like photorealism when done really well but it is rare. There is always something missing that throws it right in the uncanny valley. A lot of games still look flat.

Buggy Loop

By the time devs (with an S, not just Naughty dog) start to pull graphics worthy of the hardware, we’ll already be ready to have a pro version because games will hover at 1080p 60 fps or some upscaling at 30 fps. Same with Unreal 5, by the time we see the engine flex, we’ll almost be ready for PS6

So yeah, slow as fuck gen so far.

I don’t care though. Half Life Alyx in VR was the best visuals I’ve experienced. Videos cannot do it justice, because shaders come to life, they pop, they have presence.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think this is a generation too early for RT, personally. It absolutely kills performance and I've yet to be impressed by a single implementation, including Ratchet and Spiderman, which are supposedly the best examples. Just because something can be done, doesn't men it SHOULD be done.

It's never too early to implement new tech. We have to start somewhere. While I agree SM/MM RT, while nice, didn't do much for me, Ratchet looks very flat without RT (although it could be that other VFX trimmings with performance mode plays a larger role). Also developers don't have to utilize if they don't want to. But I say let's see how far they can push RT this gen. Like Cerny, I'm "quite bullish" lol.

Nonsense. Stupid TFs is not the problem, it wasn't even the problem last gen. And reconstructed resolutions will ultimately take priority over native resolutions. Its common sense actually, at some point, the 40% performance hit you take going from reconstructed 1440p >4K to native 4k becomes stupid for the like 2-5% IQ gain. EVERYTHING about gaming, engines and hardware has always been about smoke and mirrors, faking resolutions is just the next thing on that agenda. We have faked everything else so far.

Testify!!!

Church Pray GIF

To OP, all I can say is diminishing returns. We may wanna deny it all we want, but with each passing gen, it's going to get harder and harder to stand out on technical achievements alone. Remember once upon a time consoles were measured by how many sprites they could have on the screen at any one time, then it became how many polygons. Then it became what resolution this or that is running at.

I believe, even starting from the last gen, and it would be more apparent this gen, it's going to be more about artistry than it would be about hardware. We have the hardware and can already do what needs to be done, just look at that matrix demo. Now it's about the artistry to actually pull it off.

Anyone can drive an F1 car. Not everyone is a race car driver.

Ironically, it is the incremental improvements that are making the biggest impressions for me. Visual fidelity has gotten so impressive that the small details will be what separates standout graphics from stuff we've already seen before. Case in point... TLOU Pt. 1. I've come to realize that the SSR was so glaring because most everything else looked so amazing. That's why I say the gains we are to get from diminishing returns are arguably the most consequential because they are the difference between convincing our brains we are viewing visuals imperceptible from reality vs those that
look pretty great, but there's a certain "something" that's off.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It doesn’t feel like a new generation whatsoever. Maybe the new generation of micro-transactions and “games as a service”.
These are the dark times we will soon emerge out of. Most of these trends seem to be failing aside from a few outliers.

Of course there is always brilliant work being produced during dark times, but generally speaking the awful trends have soured gaming.

That said, the new consoles have been nice pieces of hardware. They load the games fast and are actually capable of performing at 60 frames on older games, but the software has been disheartening.

It’s not even just about graphics. It’s mostly that game design is being held back by the previous generation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom